• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades 2 | Early Access OT | In the name of Hades, Olympus I accept this sequel!

Mercador

Is the story completed? Otherwise, I'll wait for the 1.0, don't want to spoil myself. Any ideas when it will release or it's "when it's done"?

Luipadre

Is the story completed? Otherwise, I'll wait for the 1.0, don't want to spoil myself. Any ideas when it will release or it's "when it's done"?
You dont spoil anything. The game is almost done, even the last boss is in. Already packed with content and polished to perfection. Also your save will carry over to full release so i'd say just jump in and enjoy this amazing game right now

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah it's pretty much a full game. If you liked Hades 1 and want more of it then Hades 2 is easily a buy all factors considered.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Except for the Retarded character designs that feel wholly out of place.
Character designs and art do feel out of place compared to first game, alongside being shadowdropped out of nowhere, several hundred single sentence reviews and a overwhelmingly positive reception within less then a hour of it's launch does warrant some suspicion yes. Gameplay is great but the game at a glance looks rather complete as is.

Boss count is also about the same as Hades 1. 1 had 6 and this game has 7. Not sure the game is actually an Early Access title at all. Seems misleading.

I don't plan on buying it since I didn't care for Hades 1 and the same is true for Hades 2. I was playing Metallic Child at the time of Hades 1 release and Hades 1 never really clicked with me like MC did. Hades always seemed overrated to me but that's my opinion.

Plus you play one Roguelite and you've played them all.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What are the bigger differences without going to much into spoiler territory?
The main characters weapons, tarot cards, and a bit more streamlined understanding of how to spend currency and make progress even in failed runs.

The levels I’ve seen are more pleasing to the eye, and the extra new features like mining or gardening are a nice touch.

Combat also just feels more well tuned and responsive. It also has some better combinations and possibilities with god skills you can get. I had a Poseidon wave come out in my staff then a guarantee each attack I do hits twice, so double damage. Melting enemies from afar felt sick.

I’m often a big believer that certain games are just right games right time. Hades 1 never felt like I found the right time to play it for it to click but with Hades 2 this was just what I wanted.

Mercador

You dont spoil anything. The game is almost done, even the last boss is in. Already packed with content and polished to perfection. Also your save will carry over to full release so i'd say just jump in and enjoy this amazing game right now
I was thinking double dipping on Steam Deck as the original game is just 11 bucks but I could go directly to the sequel with what you've just written, thank you!

Arsic

Spent a lot of hours today with the game. Some of the characters and dialogue is GIGA cringe shit, but the gameplay and visuals is aces.

Often it just feels like Mel takes everything seriously, and then 90% of the rest of the cast is joke tier characters saying the kind of shit the kid in high school who wears dragon t shirts and jean shorts does. Has no fucking clue how to socialize and is awkward as fuck with what spills out of his mouth.

I can't beat the third boss going down, but I did unlock going up at last. The path up ofc is another cock block. I gotta figure out how to get the 4th ingredient to survive up there.

Luipadre

Im about 12 hours in but the game keeps throwing new stuff at me and new systems at every turn. Its amazing how content packed this is and how many systems this game has my god its unbelievable

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
GAawQaJ.png
YATAAAAAA

Finally jumped in properly last night... god damn, it's fucking excellent. Really loving Melinoe and the ways she differs from Zagreus. I guess I just expected them to repeat the permanent upgrades in a similar way to the first game. But they totally changed it up, and made it fit more with her character which I love. I'm hesitant to go all in on the game while it is still in EA, but my brain wants to just be addicted for the next few weeks. Doesn't help that if they said this was the completed game I'd have no reason to doubt them so far.

To any book fans out there, the Circe vibes on Melinoe are off the charts. She is basically a Circe who was trained in combat from a young age. If anyone loves Greek Mythology, great books, or something that I'm sure goes very well with a Hades II playthrough; this book was fantastic.
OIP.Q2-QZa0EsMBorGEAIP-EKQHaLL

mcjmetroid

Anyone experiencing input lag for this game? It's pretty bad especially when dashing
Nowhere near as snappy as the first.

Luipadre

Reached Chronos for the first time and
I got oneshotted on the second phase immediately lol

This game is fucking amazing, like i loved the first one, but this is a huge improvement on all front. The last fight is fucking sick, the arena, the music, the VA. Fuck me this is a videogame

Last edited:

Luipadre

Anyone experiencing input lag for this game? It's pretty bad especially when dashing
Nowhere near as snappy as the first.

Its not input lag. You have CD on dash. It feels clunkier for that reason than the first game, but you'll get used to it eventually

GymWolf

Played for like 3+ hours, loving it.

Few things i noticed:

-The game seems harder than h1
-Some chara portraits are inferior to hades1, some feel like unfinished because they clearly look worse like the archer chick, and some have worse poses, like less dynamic if that make sense with a still image, most of them are probably placeholder.
-The whole casting thing make the gameplay feels fresh enough, but still familiar, i can already see a bigger build variety thanks to that.
-music is still top notch but for now i prefer the music of hades1, maybe i just need to get used

Chukhopops

I really like it but I’m not getting the « 2 » vibe that much, this could have been an expansion to the main game just fine. There are barely any new mechanics so far.

Only issues is that the grind feels even grindier than H1 because there are a million resources to collect.

I’m at the Chapter 2 boss and boy it’s an even bigger roadblock than the Minotaur.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Made it to the third boss. This game is wonderful. I was worried when it came out in EA that it'd just have two zones, maybe three... Seems like I'm not even that far yet.

Luipadre

Played for like 3+ hours, loving it.

Few things i noticed:

-The game seems harder than h1
-Some chara portraits are inferior to hades1, some feel like unfinished because they clearly look worse like the archer chick, and some have worse poses, like less dynamic if that make sense with a still image, most of them are probably placeholder.
-The whole casting thing make the gameplay feels fresh enough, but still familiar, i can already see a bigger build variety thanks to that.
-music is still top notch but for now i prefer the music of hades1, maybe i just need to get used

Nah man music in this is better imo you will hear some absolute bangers later

Luipadre

Dude wtf is the amount of content in this game. 18 hours in but the game just keeps throwing new shit at you constantly. Incredible

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: GHG

Mercador

I played for 15 minutes and stopped. I'll wait for the full complete release to enjoy it fully. In the meantime, I'll get Hades on Steam, I had it on Switch but I want to play again.

GHG

Gold Member
Made it to the 3rd boss and this game keeps on surprising me.

The 3rd realm is a big step change and there are whole fucking skill trees for certain boons (people will understand what I mean when they see it if they haven't already).

Apparently this game is in "early access"? It certainly doesn't feel like it at the moment. This puts 99% of devs to shame.

Luipadre

Made it to the 3rd boss and this game keeps on surprising me.

The 3rd realm is a big step change and there are whole fucking skill trees for certain boons (people will understand what I mean when they see it if they haven't already).

Apparently this game is in "early access"? It certainly doesn't feel like it at the moment. This puts 99% of devs to shame.
Oh you aint seen nothing yet

Arsic

Finally beat boss 3 going down.

Game never stops giving you more and more and more things to do , see, and invest into.

Easily my GOTY so far.

Reactions: GHG

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
The first game was a masterpiece, really. The epitome of perfect game design. I can't wait to play this one. They collected a lot of experience with the first game and now, look at this gem, they poured all into this sequel. They evolved akin to climbing mount everest, and now, we can finally have this at our table.

Luipadre

Killed chronos after 20 hours. I had an insanely OP cast build with zeus boons it was piss easy lol. Now more shit unlocked my god this is getting overwhelming

Arsic

Beat both bosses going up. The run was goated. Had 300 + HP, doing giga damage with daggers, and unfortunately since its early access that was as far as I could go. Damn…

Going down I’ve only beat boss 3 once. I really get doo doo run on runs. No major primary attack buffs worth a crap makes a run busted.

I’d also give the devs one major thing to work on : make every weapon feel as viable as staff and daggers. The rest currently are joke tier weapons. Axe could use some shake ups too… needs super specific boons to pop off. The other two are just plain bad.

GymWolf

Just unlocked the different aspects for the weapons and the first impression is that they don't look as interesting as hades 1 aspects tbh.

GymWolf

Beat both bosses going up. The run was goated. Had 300 + HP, doing giga damage with daggers, and unfortunately since its early access that was as far as I could go. Damn…

Going down I’ve only beat boss 3 once. I really get doo doo run on runs. No major primary attack buffs worth a crap makes a run busted.

I’d also give the devs one major thing to work on : make every weapon feel as viable as staff and daggers. The rest currently are joke tier weapons. Axe could use some shake ups too… needs super specific boons to pop off. The other two are just plain bad.
I think they are all viable and it's just a matter preference and luck with the boons.
I had better results with any other weapon over the daggers for example and i had my best run with the skull.

The candles are probably the one that feel a bit meh for now.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I think the fire wands are really good, get the first three bosses down consistently with it. You need one or two on-hit effects and your dps becomes excellent.

I’m terrible with the axe and I don’t know wtf they were thinking with the skull, it feels awful to play and barely does more damage than the wands.

GHG

Gold Member

They are all viable with the right boons and aspects.

Getting the right boons is easy, use the appropriate keepsake for the start of your run with a particular weapon.

Luipadre

Just unlocked the different aspects for the weapons and the first impression is that they don't look as interesting as hades 1 aspects tbh.
Yes the aspects sucks imo. I dont really want to unlock any of them based on description. Hope they can improve them

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think the fire wands are really good, get the first three bosses down consistently with it. You need one or two on-hit effects and your dps becomes excellent.

I’m terrible with the axe and I don’t know wtf they were thinking with the skull, it feels awful to play and barely does more damage than the wands.
I had my best run with the skull, you just need to have some fantasy on how you approach things.

The charged special is a room cleaner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom