• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hair dryer level PS4 systems? Check thermal paste asap!

Lexad

I honestly have never noticed the sound On my launch ps4. And I sit pretty much on top of my ps4 in my bedroom

Namikaze

I hope this is some kind of hyperbole.

I wish it was. I think it's gotten slightly louder than that but I'm 100% sure it's hit 82db. I really should have traded it in a while back when it wasn't nearly as bad but I might as well open it up at this point.

vin-buc

Ah so I should try and trade my current one in for the mgs bundle?

I don't know if my advice would be appropriate. There are a few factors:
1. How loud is your system?
2. Do you like the red/black design on the mgs themed console?

I read on forums that changing thermal paste made no difference in noise but I gave it a shot and I'm hearing the difference. If you are not confident in this type of project then I don't think you should do it. But spending several hundred dollars is not something I like telling folks to do especially since this is an oversight on Sony's manufacturing.

If you are able to deal with how your console sounds then I would say wait for the potential real redesign that would be expected sometime next year (a straight guess with nothing to back that up).

Sorry if this is t helpful.

Whoever was in charge of thermal paste for launch PS4s must have been doing their job the day that mine was built, because it is really quiet.

ZeroCDR

My launch model PS4 gets loud if it's not sitting totally even horizontally, more of a vibration noise and only during heavy loading like starting GTAV. The weird design flaw where you can tilt the console a bit seems to be the problem.

I have it perfectly stable on my entertainment unit now and I havent had that problem lately, very quiet, fingers crossed!

neoism

i point a fan at my ps3 and ps4 every time I play them even though my ps4 doesn't get loud or that hot, but it does cool it down a few degrees.. but my ps3 does.. but its an OG 80gb BC its like 7 years lol... still works.. :p :D

vin-buc

Whoever was in charge of thermal paste for launch PS4s must have been doing their job the day that mine was built, because it is really quiet.

You and Lexad should count your blessings :)

I remember some conspiracy theory that during the ps4 launch there was some deranged xbox fanboy who sabotaged thermal paste applications in order to overheat consoles. I'm really not into conspiracy theories but it's definitely a coincidence. Anyway, while not dead silent it's a significant improvement over what it was for me.

Boss Mog

The only time my system gets kinda loud is on the title screen for MGS V Ground Zeroes for some reason. After I start the game the noise stops.

Maybe it's a batch problem and not a universal problem with the OG model. My launch one sounds fine, it only gets really loud when the air conditioner is off and the room is hot and muggy. I usually only hear it during intense scenes too. I keep it clean of dust and in an open cabinet with plenty of ventilation. Once an area has loaded it's typically fine. But if the room is cool I never hear it, though it will get physically warm to the touch, that's expected though.

The PS4 has a safeguard to shut down if it gets too hot I believe as well to prevent damage. That happened once to me when the Eye camera glitches out and the PS4 apparently went overboard trying to use it. The recording light was stuck on until the system shut itself off. That hasn't happened since several firmware updates so I assume it was a fluke and fixed.

I have a 2 USB 80GB phat PS3 from 2008 that's fine even though the phats have heat problems.

I got mine in March and it is extremely loud while playing most disc based games. Like, it's comparable to a space heater which makes me mad but when I close the application the fans shut off. Should I send it in to Sony? How long can I expect this to take? Will my hard drive be fine? Sorry, I'm paranoid.

Raoh

Interesting, regardless, I'm waiting on a good 1tb upgrade. I'll trade in my 500gb model and get the new once its confirmed that it is quiter and consumes less power.

vin-buc

Maybe it's a batch problem and not a universal problem with the OG model. My launch one sounds fine, it only gets really loud when the air conditioner is off and the room is hot and muggy. I usually only hear it during intense scenes too. I keep it clean of dust and in an open cabinet with plenty of ventilation. Once an area has loaded it's typically fine.

I have a 2 USB 80GB phat PS3 from 2008 that's fine even though the phats have heat problems.

I don't think this is a universal problem but enough people complain (myself included) so it's definitely an issue. Mine was extremely loud and I have it on a wood floor completely exposed on all sides.

My ps3 fat 60gb got the YLOD playing Killzone 2. Man those graphics were incredible. Never got to finish it but still have the game. Built my first gaming PC after that.

Faenix1

Mm.. would I need to do worry if it only really happened on graphic intensive games?

I've played a few PSN games, such as Dust: An Elysian Tail, where I didn't hear anything. Parts of Witcher 3 will make is noisy.

Now I'm concerned.

vin-buc

I got mine in March and it is extremely loud while playing most disc based games. Like, it's comparable to a space heater which makes me mad but when I close the application the fans shut off. Should I send it in to Sony? How long can I expect this to take? Will my hard drive be fine? Sorry, I'm paranoid.

Send it back to them and keep doing it until your happy with a quiet console. We pay alot of money for this thing. You should be happy with what you pay for.

Mm.. would I need to do worry if it only really happened on graphic intensive games?

I've played a few PSN games, such as Dust: An Elysian Tail, where I didn't hear anything. Parts of Witcher 3 will make is noisy.

Now I'm concerned.
I don't think so. Does it do it for the entire time you play the game or just certain parts like when an area is loading?

That is how mine is sometimes.

The PS4 has a safeguard to shut down if it gets too hot to prevent damage I believe. That happened once to me when the Eye camera glitched out and the PS4 apparently went overboard trying to use it. The recording light was stuck on until the system shut itself off. That hasn't happened since several firmware updates so I assume it was a fluke and fixed.

OmegaDL50

Thanks for the tip.

My PS4 runs at about 115db.

The numbers can't be right.

115db is scientifically measured as a rock concert levels of noise, below that at the 110db level is a Power Saw.

If there is some sort of app you are using to measure this the numbers are complete bunk and grossly misreported.

vin-buc

Now I'm concerned.

Here's the thing - whether it's graphically intensive or not, whether it's digital or physical - there are ps4 owners who say their console is SILENT while playing ANY game. We should all be entitled to that. If you're under warranty I'd consider exchanging.

SeriousApes

Hmm... I got mine during Black Friday last year. It was quiet until I played Bloodborne. At first I just assumed it was that specific game causing the fans to get loud, but I guess it was just a coincidence, since it's loud with every game now. Still a few months till my warranty expires.

saturnine

Oh no. Oh no. This reminds me of Phat PS3s. The amount of time I've thermal pasted that bitch...

Please tell me they won't die like PS3s did.
this this this
I swear if I have to change the thermal paste every 10 months like with my ps3 I'm gonna rant on the internet or something

bought my ps4 in december, she's already gotten louder. hope it won't get worse.

vin-buc

Also - I don't mean the "check your thermal paste asap" to mean your consoles will die. As stated - the ps4 has an auto shutdown feature to prevent overheating.

This is meant exclusively to help ps4 owners lower fan noise and nothing else.

This is how my near launch PS3 died. We opened it up and there were dry rivers of paste on the chips. We tried to reapply paste but unfortunately the chips were fried.

My PS4 isn't loud yet but it's good to know that when it does become loud, I'll have a good idea and a plan on how to save it.

dB measurements, unless you're doing it professionally, are useless.

1. A dB measurement app on your phone is horribly inaccurate, and varies across equipment and app used. Someone with a Galaxy S6 is going to get a different reading than someone with an iPhone 6, etc. One guy's app is going to be different than another, etc.

2. Even with a professional dB Meter (something that costs a decent chunk of money), you're still picking up room and handling noise.

3. Distance to the console matters, and everyone is going to list different readings there.

4. Game being played or activity on the console matters, obviously.

To be frank, those people saying "My PS4 runs at xxdB" are telling us absolutely nothing but an arbitrary number.

If you want to do something like this right, you'll need:

1. A professional, accurately calibrated dB Meter.
2. A tripod or mic stand to mount it onto, along with a shock mount of some type to reduce vibrations and handling noise.
3. A quiet room. No, your "quiet bedroom" isn't quiet enough. You'll need an acoustically treated space free from ventilation and outside ambient noises, like a sound booth.
4. Accurate measurements that take into account frequency content as well as loudness content, and the knowledge to extrapolate meaningful analysis from it.
5. Accurately measured distances, and readings taken at different distance. Example, an inch away from the back of the console, an inch from the front of the console, 12 inches from the console, 2 feet away, listening/operator position, etc.
6. A lot of people doing this exactly, and a way to organize the information.

As it stands now, nobody is even listing the distance away they taking measurements from.

It's all pointless, guys.

ironcreed

Banned
Mine varies and the fans ramp up and down as they should. But generally it is about as loud as my old PS3 super slim. In other words, it can get a bit loud with demanding games, but nothing like a jet engine or anything.

Zalusithix

I wish it was. I think it's gotten slightly louder than that but I'm 100% sure it's hit 82db. I really should have traded it in a while back when it wasn't nearly as bad but I might as well open it up at this point.

I just went into the shop and threw the air filtration (similar to this) and dust collection (similar to this) systems on. I then pulled out a heat gun like this and turned it on as well. Measuring from an arms length from the 3 devices I get around 83dB. I highly doubt that the little fan in the PS4 could generate as much noise as that.

*This is done using a non-professional meter, but still an order of magnitude more accurate than any phone based nonsense.

Edit: Decided to test the SPL meter part of the Smart Tools suite on the phone and surprisingly it's only a few dB off from the other meter. Still, there's no guarantee that it'll be accurate across other models, or even different samples of the same phone. No factory calibration and all that. Still, it makes mo wonder how much of these numbers are due to the apps being way off and how much of it is due to people throwing out values with the measurement device all of an inch away from the PS4.

Atlas157

My PS4 is barely audible while playing Bloodborne, but when I press the Share button while playing Bloodborne it sounds like a hair dryer in the Share menu.

I don't understand.

Kieli

dB measurements, unless you're doing it professionally, are useless.

1. A dB measurement app on your phone is horribly inaccurate, and varies across equipment and app used. Someone with a Galaxy S6 is going to get a different reading than someone with an iPhone 6, etc. One guy's app is going to be different than another, etc.

2. Even with a professional dB Meter (something that costs a decent chunk of money), you're still picking up room and handling noise.

3. Distance to the console matters, and everyone is going to list different readings there.

4. Game being played or activity on the console matters, obviously.

To be frank, those people saying "My PS4 runs at xxdB" are telling us absolutely nothing but an arbitrary number.

If you want to do something like this right, you'll need:

1. A professional, accurately calibrated dB Meter.
2. A tripod or mic stand to mount it onto, along with a shock mount of some type to reduce vibrations and handling noise.
3. A quiet room. No, your "quiet bedroom" isn't quiet enough. You'll need an acoustically treated space free from ventilation and outside ambient noises, like a sound booth.
4. Accurate measurements that take into account frequency content as well as loudness content, and the knowledge to extrapolate meaningful analysis from it.
5. Accurately measured distances, and readings taken at different distance. Example, an inch away from the back of the console, an inch from the front of the console, 12 inches from the console, 2 feet away, listening/operator position, etc.
6. A lot of people doing this exactly, and a way to organize the information.

As it stands now, nobody is even listing the distance away they taking measurements from.

It's all pointless, guys.

Or you just want a ball-park number.

We're average joes, not professionals wanting uber-precise measurements of the size, shape, weight, composition of materials for research or manufacturing.

N° 2048

We're average joes, not professionals wanting uber-precise measurements of the size, shape, weight, composition of materials for research or manufacturing.

A ball park number is useless. It will be so far off the actual rating.

Pimpbaa

It's coming but probably next year. BTW - they significantly reduced the motherboard size with the CH-1200 model. Comparison pics are out.

That's kind of amazing considering how small the motherboard was already, especially compared to the xb1.

vin-buc

That's kind of amazing considering how small the motherboard was already, especially compared to the xb1.

Indeed. On top of that there was some speculation about read speeds from the hdd due to a revision on the board. There's some good info in the CH-1200 thread.

Witcher 3 is the only game I've noticed it in. It's during most outdoor areas and a few indoor areas. It's quiet whenever I'm in the menu.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what idiot buys a console's first version launch day ??
oh wait i did it with all my consoles.

So fat my wii died after 5 years.
And my fat ps3 backwards compatible died after 4 years.

Namikaze

I just went into the shop, and threw the air filtration system (similar to this) and dust collection (similar to this) systems on. I then pulled out a heat gun like this and turned it on as well. Measuring from an arms length from the 3 devices I get around 83dB. I highly doubt that the little fan in the PS4 could generate as much noise as that.

*This is done using a non-professional meter, but still an order of magnitude more accurate than any phone based nonsense.

I was using my smartphone app to measure the noise and I honestly had no idea that method was basically useless.

Let me put it this way though; During the cutscenes in Batman, it sounds like it's gonna explode. It's like a hair dryer mixed with an incredibly high pitched whirring (and it's rarely any noticeable amount quieter than that). I absolutely cannot play a game without a headset at this point. The noise hurts my ears and takes me out of the game. When I put my hand on the console, it feels cool, it's just really loud.

Faenix1

I don't think so. Does it do it for the entire time you play the game or just certain parts like when an area is loading?

That is how mine is sometimes.

The PS4 has a safeguard to shut down if it gets too hot to prevent damage I believe. That happened once to me when the Eye camera glitched out and the PS4 apparently went overboard trying to use it. The recording light was stuck on until the system shut itself off. That hasn't happened since several firmware updates so I assume it was a fluke and fixed.

Not the entire time, no. I assumed it was cause it made the console hot, now this thread has me concerned. I suck at tearing stuff apart, so that doesn't help much.

Played Dust for a few hours some time back and it was quiet straight through. Not quite paid attention how often it gets "loud" during Witcher 3. Don't think it's the entire time.

Here's the thing - whether it's graphically intensive or not, whether it's digital or physical - there are ps4 owners who say their console is SILENT while playing ANY game. We should all be entitled to that. If you're under warranty I'd consider exchanging.

Launch unit, of course not. Meant to get the extended PS warranty but naturally I forgot. lol

Zalusithix

I was using my smartphone app to measure the noise and I honestly had no idea that method was basically useless.

Let me put it this way though; During the cutscenes in Batman, it sounds like it's gonna explode. It's like a hair dryer mixed with an incredibly high pitched whirring (and it's rarely any noticeable amount quieter than that). I absolutely cannot play a game without a headset at this point. The noise hurts my ears and takes me out of the game. When I put my hand on the console, it feels cool, it's just really loud.

Exact sound levels aside, that's a problem. If your hand is where the heatsink is, it shouldn't be cool. I mean, it's not going to roast you or anything, but it shouldn't be cool when under load.

That ballpark number is truly meaningless without any type of supporting information or standardized method of retrieving it. It seriously means nothing, both in the context of comparing it to other member's numbers for some type of analysis, and in the context of having one for your information.

goonergaz

I used a combination of ifixit (student breakdown) and a yt video of some guy called RickTEG. I feel like you need both to fill in the holes.

cheers, my ex launch unit (now my daughters machine) is really bad so fingers crossed I can sort it :)

Top Bottom