• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hair dryer level PS4 systems? Check thermal paste asap!

goonergaz

That ballpark number is truly meaningless without any supporting information. It seriously means nothing, both in the context of comparing it to other member's numbers for some type of analysis, and in the context of having one for your information.

yeah, back when people started complaining I wondered if the power of GAF might be able to pool resources to get a guide to what was acceptable, alas it's not that easy :(

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Probably their smartphones lol

Oh, well that's got to be accurate with the windscreens on most cellphone microphones!

I'd be curious if someone had a loud system and got a reading using a pro mic if possible. Mine gets fairly loud, but only when a game is really pushing it (Arkham Knight recently).

goonergaz

Whoever was in charge of thermal paste for launch PS4s must have been doing their job the day that mine was built, because it is really quiet.

yeah, there seems to be a real mix - I do wonder if we'd be better off taking a hit and selling on to upgrade to the new model

vin-buc

I should do this, my ps4 gets ridiculously loud when i'm playing ground zeroes.

I just ran GZ again for about 25 minutes and the noise is sooo low compared to what it was before changing the paste. Same for PT. Extremely happy with these results.

TR:DE gets a little louder than both and is more noticeable but definitely NOT hairdryer levels.

The paste I applied (mx-4) apparently doesn't need any "cook-in" time for it to activate. Not sure how heat/noise will sound like after some usage time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't currently need to do this with my PS4, but I remember what a nightmare it was to disassemble my YLOD'd PS3. Is taking apart the PS4 easier?

Woah. See that and making a complete mess of the case where it has scratches/etc. from trying to pry the case off is why I never disassemble the consoles. Just a huge mess for trying to make them live a little longer. :/

I didn't I'm sorry but there are several videos that show this. I linked the one youtube video I used as a reference as well as ifixit for the pictures.

Hmm, mine isn't as bad unless I'm playing without A/C so I could give it a try or just buy a revision as planned and sell/giveaway my OG unit

vin-buc

Woah. See that and making a complete mess of the case where it has scratches/etc. from trying to pry the case off is why I never disassemble the consoles. Just a huge mess for trying to make them live a little longer. :/

This is much easier. The only issue I had was the fan lead to the motherboard. I actually used a little too much force and pulled the wires from the head exposing the copper. It got me stressed but I was able to put them back in with tweezers and use some electric adhesive to keep it in place. This should never disconnect unless I disassemble again.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
My launch PS4 has been extremely loud since day 1. Never bothered to crack it open and replace the thermal paste but I will be doing that today. Got some IC Diamond left over, best use it!

Appreciate the info OP, I'll report back once I purchase some Torx kits haha.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

Thanks - I'd still be curious to hear from someone who's done this apart from iFixit on what was most difficult, etc.

Hypron

I bought my PS4 in November last year and it has been loud as fuck since I got it. So loud in fact that I had to put it in another room and run a very long HDMI cable to my tv. I thought PS4s were supposed to be very loud but after reading this thread I'll call Sony to get that shit fixed.

vin-buc

My launch PS4 has been extremely loud since day 1. Never bothered to crack it open and replace the thermal paste but I will be doing that today. Got some IC Diamond left over, best use it!

Appreciate the info OP, I'll report back once I purchase some Torx kits haha.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

You should check comparisons on viscosity between diamond and arctic mx-4. There is a difference by a few degrees.

Also - this may be overkill but there are also ram thermal pads which decrease Temps. There 1mm in size (stock). Those can be replaced as we but I don't try that.

vin-buc

Thanks - I'd still be curious to hear from someone who's done this apart from iFixit on what was most difficult, etc.

Haha (the third time I'll post) - the most difficult part is disconnecting the fan lead to the mobo. Everything else was pretty straightforward.

Zafir

Mines pretty loud with certain games. Unfortunately my console is the Anniversary one, so I don't really want to open it up.

Peace Tea

There's also copper shims, that lay atop the chipset, being sold on ebay. Not sure how much more effective at heat transfer they are, but just throwing that out there.

vin-buc

There's also copper shims, that lay atop the chipset, being sold on ebay. Not sure how much more effective at heat transfer they are, but just throwing that out there.

I was looking for a revised heatsink on eBay - can you link me to the copper shims please?

Venom Fox

Banned
Can somebody from UK GAF help me with something?

I got my PS4 in March 2014 (a present so I traded my OG one in)
In March this year it developed a fault where every time I tried opening a game it'd force close, so naturally I took it back and Asda replaced it because it was 3 days within warranty.

So a couple of days ago I decided I wanted a new PS4 because mine has become increasingly loud and they told me basically I was now taking the piss and they wouldn't return it.

Am I within my rights to get a new one?
As far as I know the new receipt I got in March 2015 means I have a new 1 year warranty.

Harmen

Or you just want a ball-park number.

We're average joes, not professionals wanting uber-precise measurements of the size, shape, weight, composition of materials for research or manufacturing.

Yeah, but when I see people posting levels that have a chance of causing permanent ear damage, especially for long durations of gaming, I have my reservations in believing those ball-park number apps.

rafaelr

since my launch ps4 was pretty loud i also replaced the thermal paste with arctic silver 5 about a month or so ago. but it didn´t improve the situation as much as i had hoped for (stayed pretty much the same actually).
games like killzone and now planetside used crank up the fan so much i was really getting worried, but when i put my hand to the exhaust vent the air stream was never really hot and also hardly noticeable.
so i ordered a new internal fan and replaced mine. now there´s a really perceptual difference (planetside still gets quite audible but nowhere near the levels it went to before).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My PS4 runs at 600 db.

I'd like to try this. I think my big issue is that my entertainment center is not well ventilated.

My launch PS4 runs nice and quiet all the time, guess I was lucky. My cousin got one a few months after launch and his PS4 can get pretty loud compared to mine, sometimes.

Mononoke

Banned
Both my launch PS4 and X1 and are quiet. But I've heard so many stories of these systems (mainly the PS4), having jet engine type noise levels.

I've seen enough people talk about it, that it's clearly an issue. I hope it is the thermal paste, so that it can be fixed in the future. This reminds me of my old 360 and PS3 that would get an uptick in noise and sound like they were sucking air and struggling during decent play sessions (or intense games). Not acceptable for a modern console.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more uproar over this. Sounds like something Sony should have looked into already. I can't even imagine how immersion breaking and distracting it would be to have hair dryer levels of noise. Like Jesus.

Flandy

You and Lexad should count your blessings :)

I remember some conspiracy theory that during the ps4 launch there was some deranged xbox fanboy who sabotaged thermal paste applications in order to overheat consoles. I'm really not into conspiracy theories but it's definitely a coincidence. Anyway, while not dead silent it's a significant improvement over what it was for me.

Ahahaha, what?
Never heard of this. Got a link? Lol

Fat4all

Banned
Are there any instructions on how to do this myself somewhere online?

Also, where would I buy the paste and tools needed?

Jharp

Honestly, pretty disappointed with Sony's shoddy assembly on the launch PS4's. After the issues the PS3 had (I had a launch unit fail, AND a certified refurbished replacement launch unit both YLOD on me), it's pretty astonishing that so many are getting jet-engine loud like launch PS3s did.

Mine still chugs along, but on hot summer nights here in So Cal, it only has to be on for a few minutes before the fans really kick in. Since it's well past warranty, I'm expecting it to fail any time now. Why couldn't they just have an external PSU like the 360 and bone? Would do wonders for heat management, red ring issues notwithstanding.

I might actually try re-applying thermal paste, though. When I bought my original launch PS3 off eBay in 2009, it came CAKED with fucking dust from the previous owner, so I had to crack it open just to clean it anyways. Having some left over thermal paste from the last PC I'd built, I put some on there and it served me well for a good three years before it failed. Too bad the fucking replacement Sony sent me also failed, so I ended up just counting the PS2 BC as a loss and getting a slim, which runs quiet and nice even after hours of play. Though, I'm not exactly playing hours of PS3 games anymore.

So maybe I'll do the same for my quad. If it can last me another year or two, then I won't feel so screwed on picking up a newer model in a sale. But then, the fact that I've become so complacent in such matters terrifies me.

Fucking hell.

vin-buc

Are there any instructions on how to do this myself somewhere online?

Also, where would I buy the paste and tools needed?

Plenty of online instructions. You'll get ALOT of results by searching for ps4 thermal paste.

For tools - I had to buy Artic MX-4 thermal paste and a set of bits that include Tork T9 Security bit (has to say security). I got both for about $15 and I'm prime.

I chose this paste because I scoured pc gaming forums looking to see what builders were recommending.

You should also have a flashlight, tweezers and a Philips bit.

I have the destiny bundle PS4 and it's very quiet. I can still hear the fan kick in when it's gets really hot, but it's noting compared to my PS3. I also had a launch unit. It was noticeably louder than my current one, but not by much. I think that people with very loud PS4 are just unlucky, and if it's still in warranty you should return it ASAP. Don't overlook this, because the stress on the motherboard will significantly affect the life time of the device. There is nothing like YLOD or the RROD right now, but there might be a big problem down the road with launch systems due to this pre-mature overheating. I also remember that Sony made some changes to the heatsink after a few months from launch, before this major refresh.

Well remember guys, your PS4 should shut down automatically in self-preservation if it gets too hot. Also, if the fan is running hard and you touch the top of your PS4 and it is cool to the touch, then you've got a real problem.

I also recommend new thermal pads. They should be 0.5 or 1 mllimeter thick, depending on how hard or soft they are. Best are soft thermal pads like the PS4 is using.

My PS4 went a little quiter since I changed the paste and pads, but not by much.
It can still roaring like a hair dryer when positioned vertically though. That's why I only use it horizontally.

Changing the thermal paste in my PS3 had way more effect. The fan now never goes above the first phase and remains pretty quite. Did wonders.

I mean I get why this is annoying, but I haven't noticed. Live in an apartment with thin walls so I usually just play with headphones plugged into the controller.

vin-buc

Please do a little research on what the best thermal paste out there is. I decided on Arctic MX-4 because tests showed that it lowered Temps by 6-8 degrees compared to the competition. Also, it should be immediate and doesn't require activation cycles before it kicks in.

While anything is better than the default thermal paste this is where you need to buy the best available. It's those few degrees that can make the fan spin difference.

If you happen to have paste left over from a few years back then:

1. Shelf life may decrease the performance of the paste.
2. There have been advances in thermal paste performance since a fee years ago.

Damn. Mines loud as in almost as loud as the launch xbox360s but only with certain games. Killzone, Bloodborne, the last of us to name a few but generally most other games are fairly quiet.

Having zero experience with thermal paste is this a good idea to just do anyway with my launch unit? I mean how difficult is it with a ps4?

What's even more important is choosing a thermal paste that's soft and spreads easily when applied with the pea-dot method. And don't use these new liquid metal pastes. They react fatally with Aluminium.

I was just playing Batman and mine was pretty loud. Bloodborne and Driveclub also make it scream. I am afraid that it will die because it gets so loud. My Xbox One is in the same entertainment center and I honestly can't hear the thing when it's on. I hate that there could be a thermal paste issue again. That's a real bummer.

test_account

XP-39C²
Or you just want a ball-park number.

We're average joes, not professionals wanting uber-precise measurements of the size, shape, weight, composition of materials for research or manufacturing.
Ballpark numbers can be misleading when it comes to decibel. The difference between for example 50db and 60db can be quite noticeable.

vin-buc

I also recommend new thermal pads. They should be 0.5 or 1 mllimeter thick, depending on how hard or soft they are. Best are soft thermal pads like the PS4 is using.

My PS4 went a little quiter since I changed the paste and pads, but not by much.
It can still roaring like a hair dryer when positioned vertically though. That's why I only use it horizontally.

Changing the thermal paste in my PS3 had way more effect. The fan now never goes above the first phase and remains pretty quite. Did wonders.

Which paste did you use? I almost went the thermal pad route for the ram chips but decided not to.

As I'm writing this - I've been running MGS:GZ for 45 minutes in the mission (not actually playing it) and the noise output has not increased at all. You can hear the fans (have the speakers on mute) but it's nothing compared to what GZ used to sound like. Same for PT. I gave TLoU to a friend so I cut test that (it used to choke my console).

Defcon_2Fast4u

Neo Member
I recently sold my launch PS4 because of how loud it was. Given I had the PS protection plan, I was going to keep it, but when I saw the Batman Limited Edition PS4, I sold it and got this one. My god is new one is just as loud if not louder. Reading this got me thinking. But I have the one year on it, so I will not attempt anything on this beauty just yet.

vin-buc

Sony's own testing actually shows that the CH-1100 model (second model) is actually louder than the CH-1000 model (launch). Both are shown up by the CH-1200 model (although not by much).

All these details can be found in the CH-1200 thread.

Sony's own testing actually shows that the CH-1100 model (second model) is actually louder than the CH-1000 model (launch). Both are shown up by the CH-1200 model (although not by much).

All these details can be found in the CH-1200 thread.
Link? That may explain why my launch console isn't the industrial fan that many people here are talking about.

Zalusithix

My PS4 runs at 600 db.

I'd like to try this. I think my big issue is that my entertainment center is not well ventilated.

Is this your entertainment center?
59088main_water2_lrg.jpg

Shuttle sound suppression system that used water to eliminate the damage done to the shuttle by reflected acoustic energy.

Top Bottom