• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hair loss question....

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Hey all, so is there really any way (aside from a transplant) to get your hair to re-grow on the top of your head in areas where its thinning out? You see all these ads for hims, etc....where they swear up and down that putting these chemicals/lotions, etc....on your head will force your hair to start growing again but it just seems like all BS to me.

Has anyone had any success with anything that wasn't a transplant and that didn't cost thousands of dollars?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
These ads just prey on your insecurities.

If there was something that actually worked, didn't require surgery or thousands of dollars, we would all be doing that thing and there would be no need to invent new things to sell you.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Frankly, shave everything. This will be the first thing I do if (when) it happens to me. Every other solution will just make you look ridiculous, no mater what some people will tel you.

dotnotbot

As far as I know finasteridum/dutasteridum paired with minoxidil is the only thing that really works but it won't grow you back hair that's already long gone, will help you grow back some of the thin/weak hairs and stop further hair loss. So if it's just thining out in some areas you should try those.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Shave and channel your inner Bruce Willis. Don’t be like those betas with patches of hair.

Shouting The Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Dis

Spyxos

Gold Member
Hey all, so is there really any way (aside from a transplant) to get your hair to re-grow on the top of your head in areas where its thinning out? You see all these ads for hims, etc....where they swear up and down that putting these chemicals/lotions, etc....on your head will force your hair to start growing again but it just seems like all BS to me.

Has anyone had any success with anything that wasn't a transplant and that didn't cost thousands of dollars?
Ok, you can laugh all you want, but I had hair loss. Nothing was helping. Until I saw a video on youtube. There was garlic rubbed into the hair and over the night it has been effective. It stinks like hell and it's best to sleep alone, but it helped me after a few times and I haven't really lost hair again.

MastAndo

Probably not regrow, but some things may help you hang on to what you have - Minoxidil, Finasteride, etc.

Personally, I never wanted to start taking something that I would have to take forever just to hang on to scraps, or deal with potential side effects, so I never did. Instead, I shaved my head completely bald last month after no longer being able to hide it. I'm still processing it, but it's been liberating for the most part. Something to consider...

dotnotbot

Ok, you can laugh all you want, but I had hair loss. Nothing was helping. Until I saw a video on youtube. There was garlic rubbed into the hair and over the night it has been effective. It stinks like hell and it's best to sleep alone, but it helped me after a few times and I haven't really lost hair again.

Depends on what was causing hair loss for you. If it's normal androgenetic alopecia then garlic won't do much and you need meds to lower DHT levels. Anything else is like watering the desert.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The treatments do work but you need to catch it early and be proactive, if the top of you head looks like a baloney slice already then your only option is to transplant.

Hugare

Minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) are still the only FDA-approved ways to maintain or regrow hair.
Read this, OP

Google about finasteride and see the results. It works. But it doesnt do miracles.

I've been taking finasteride daily for 8 months now, and I notice my my hair being fuller. I'm far from being bald, I'm just preventing it (just turned 30), and its working so far.

Also, no side effects here.

Have some self-respect and shave it off.

That's what I did and I don't regret it for a single moment, especially when I see men who try to hide it with 'clever' combing. They're fooling no one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thick rim glasses can frame your face a bit instead of just that shockingly giant chasm of forehead. And get ripped. If you're fat, you look 10x fatter if you're bald. If you're ripped, you like 10x more ripped if you're bald.

Or just grow out the sides and don't comb it at all. Shows 10x more confidence to just not even give a fuck. Confidence attracts. Own the baldness.

Toby_Ziegler_280x350.jpg

Kilau

Embrace the bald, some don’t have heads for it to be “sexy” but it still looks better than alternatives. Unless you have LeBron monies.

Dr_Salt

Finasteride, minoxidil and micro needling are basically the only things that work. Some of those come with side effects tho, nothing in this life is free. If I were you I would go to a derm and discuss with him.

Last edited:

Esca

I started shaving my head in highschool for convince, being doing it since then. No maintenance, dries right off and it is so nice to pour cold water on my head whenever I need to (live in fl) I don't have to worry about drying off

Quasicat

I started losing my hair at 25 and it bothered me, but then my wife told me that she actually prefers me without hair. I have a friend that started losing his hair a few years ago and he flipped out. He takes all of these chemicals and found a YouTube video about stretching your scalp to encourage growth…these have done nothing and he is almost to my level of hair loss at this point.
Just accept it. You’ll just stress yourself out when nothing works.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

If this guy can fuck any woman, don't be afraid to shave and stay bald.

sins wink GIF

Don't take any medicine, pills or whatever. It'll fuck with your anxiety and make you even more miserable due to their side affects. Hair transplants are safe but they cost a lot.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
The lesser known secret is that poor diet high in antibiotics from meat and dairy and pesticides is what is killing both testosterone levels, sperm count and ultimately, hair loss in men the world over.

To be honest, most balding in men is genetic, so you cant run away forever. Hair follicles simply run out of steam.

I forget where I saw it exactly but there was a correlated chart that showed the mass industrialised use of pesticides on crops with the average % of men who went bald over the last 60 years and it was a near perfect inversion lol

J3nga

The medicine such as finasteride does work, why shouldn't it? It's a hormonal stuff which blocks DHT(which is arguably the most common reason among men for a hair loss) and can't be purchased without a prescription in most countries I assume. Been using finasteride for 6 months now + injections which aren't cheap(100 euros for 1 injection). Finasteride is dirt cheap however. It definitely helped a lot in those areas where hair was thinning but it won't do a thing where the hair is gone completely, hairline in my case, so you'll need to do a transplantation which I'm planning to do. I don't experience any side-effects from takin finasteride but it's obviously an individual thing.

Long story short, if hair loss does bother you then don't wait and go to the clinic, the more hair you loose the more expensive and time consuming it will be for you to reclaim it. If not then just go bald, the sooner you accept this fact the easier it will be for you and you can skip that part where you have barely any hair left but you try keeping it but you end up looking stupid. When guys have barely any hair left and try stick to it just looks cringy.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

If this guy can fuck any woman, don't be afraid to shave and stay bald.

sins wink GIF

Don't take any medicine, pills or whatever. It'll fuck with your anxiety and make you even more miserable due to their side affects. Hair transplants are safe but they cost a lot.

You have to keep taking finasteride after hair transplant anyway, otherwise you will lose that hair again.

Last edited:

Aesius

You have to keep taking finasteride after hair transplant anyway, otherwise you will lose that hair again.
You usually don't lose the transplanted hair because it's taken from the "safe zone" of hair that's resistant to DHT (i.e., the Larry David ring of hair). You will continue balding around the transplanted hair, though (provided that's what your genetics dictate).

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I dealt with some pretty aggressive male pattern baldness for years OP, here's my two cents:

- Finasteride and Minoxodil (Hims, Keeps, Rogaine, Propecia, etc): These are the only hair loss options clinically proven to work (besides a transplant). I think the big thing to remember here is that they work... but only to some degree. How helpful they are is really dependent on your situation up top. They can prevent future hair loss and restore recent light hair loss. So if you are just starting to thin but not majorly serious yet, these can help. But if you have been aggressively balding for a while... these wont be the silver bullet. I did both of these for over a year and I could tell it was restoring some hair kinda, and it stopped getting worse. But I still looked thin up top overall and wouldnt have considered the battle won. I'd still be considered "thinning" if someone took a snapshot

- I finally went with the nuclear option and did the hair transplant. This worked, super happy with it. And now I follow it up with the finasteride and minoxodil to keep it from falling out again and to keep the hair that i did have strong haha. But even then with this one, if you are truly like bald bald bald, it might not help because youre going to have so much ground to cover you might still look thin up top and its a pretty expensive procedure to not like your results. I was fortunate that when I did this I still had some hair up top despite some general thinning going on and the power alleys above the temple.

Cliff notes: That stuff does work to some degree but wont restore you to full. If you do have some hair up top... give it a shot. If youre are really bald bald though, its probably not going to get you the results you want.

I also use a daily shampoo called "Grow MD" to just help with daily maintenance, but its not medical grade and probably wouldnt be helpful for restoring hair, its more preventative or very light restoration.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I used Minoxidil and finestride for a year and it didn't do anything but cost me money.

Cyberpunkd

Probably not regrow, but some things may help you hang on to what you have - Minoxidil, Finasteride, etc.

Personally, I never wanted to start taking something that I would have to take forever just to hang on to scraps, or deal with potential side effects, so I never did. Instead, I shaved my head completely bald last month after no longer being able to hide it. I'm still processing it, but it's been liberating for the most part. Something to consider...
bruce willis GIF
Fast And Furious Guns GIF by The Fast Saga

Robbinhood

Banned
My friend went to Turkey and def looks better with that hair vs balding. I'll do that one day. I take Finastride (for a decade now) and it works, I don't like the libido side effects and had to stop taking it when we were "trying" but otherwise its the easy option.

lachesis

It's more of keeping what's there. I've been using Minoxidil and Finasteride and it has been helpful keeping what I have.
Those 2 are only 2 FDA approved one as I know - but I don't think it will "regrow" your hair, if hair follicle is dead and close off.
If you are young and have just started losing hair - you will have better luck (as those follicle is just dormant) - but if you've been bold for a long time, it won't help.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
nothing exists for now, just like the penis enlargement magic pills

All you can do is surgery and the results depends of your donor area and how your hormones are, even with a transplant it can fall again

Dr_Salt

nothing exists for now, just like the penis enlargement magic pills

All you can do is surgery and the results depends of your donor area and how your hormones are, even with a transplant it can fall again
Not true. The chemicals work they just have possible side effects. Also you are expected to take finasteride after transplant.

Aesius

One of our delivery guys started wearing a wig. It was kind of uncomfortable pretending we didn't notice it. Dude looked like a Gremlin.
My barber wears a toupee. But he didn't when I started going to him. He had a little David Letterman-esque tuft of hair and that was it. Then I walked in one day and he had a full head of (fake) hair. Really bizarre.

The Skull

Have a friend, age 35, who had thinning and some recession and he opted for surgery. Kept a more mature hairline and improved his density. Looks really good.

Fbh

A doc friend told me there is one pill that actually works really well and doesn't really have side effects (or only minor ones). Don't remember what it's called though.

But the 2 important things to consider:
-You'll have to keep taking the pills forever
- It will get strengthen hair growth everywhere, not just on your head.

Cobbet

Neo Member

I always think of this when I read about micro needling.

Well, if you've gone completely bald already I'd say it's too late. Micro needling have helped those who have started to thin out. There is peer reviewed studies on PubMed with pretty good results.

Top Bottom