• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 3: 10 years of not playing the most essential sequel in history

Josemsar

Neo Member
Hmmmm... So.... If somehow HL3 would get released.... Which one would be the next most expected game? Like a seriously wanted secuel game? Darksiders 3?

eso76

At this point I think I'd rather have a half-life 2 + episode 1+2 remake.
The leaked / expected (can't even remember) original script with the story moving to take place on a snowy alien planet did nothing for me, my love for hl2 and ep. 2 is tied to their somewhat mundane locations, I don't care for a more exotic setting.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Like others have said, it's gonna be on VR if it's coming.

The Vive is amazing but they might be waiting until Gen 2 of the Vive before they start making it. Or they already started using Gen 1 hardware but I think that's unlikely because VR tech is advancing too quickly. Which might be why they're going to sit on it for a while longer....

I don't even expect to see another single player game from Valve for a long time. At this point it's best to give up on HL3 and maybe hope for a info dump that'll give fans some sort of closure.

The miracle never happen.

There might have been a time, but that bus has long since left the station. Focusing on Steam, CSGO, and Dota makes them more money than a Half-life 3 ever would. A HL3 would be a passion project, and I can't imagine that there's too many people interested at Valve. There are more interesting pursuits, such as VR, to work on than finishing a single player FPS campaign.

Never say never, but I wouldn't expect to see HL3.

Josemsar

Neo Member
Things I will never see in my life:

Half Life Ending
Darksiders Ending
The Darkness Ending
Berserk Ending
New STALKER
New Warcraft RTS

Hmmmm... I think I´m just gonna appreciate way more FF XV once I get it...

Garlador

With Final Fantasy 15 and The Last Guardian coming out so soon, FF7 remake announced, Shenmue III in production, Psychonauts 2 funded, and even Beyond Good & Evil 2 happening...

... Is this the last major bastion of gaming? The last great white buffalo?

Josemsar

Neo Member
With Final Fantasy 15 and The Last Guardian coming out so soon, FF7 remake announced, Shenmue III in production, Psychonauts 2 funded, and even Beyond Good & Evil 2 happening...

... Is this the last major bastion of gaming? The last great white buffalo?

I can only think of the definitive Pokémon MMO with VR?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 is GOING TO HAPPEN :D I KNOW!

Things I will never see in my life:

Half Life Ending
Darksiders Ending
The Darkness Ending
Berserk Ending
New STALKER
New Warcraft RTS

Hmmmm... I think I´m just gonna appreciate way more FF XV once I get it...

GSC GAMEWORLD is back, they released COSSACKS 3 and said they will be working on S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 next. SO HYPED.

I don't usually write like this, but, when it comes to S.T.A.L.K.E.R I just can't control myself.

HvySky

Do people still think Half-Life 3 or Episode 3 is coming? I'm not usually one to say never, but at this point I really don't think Valve has anyone working on either of those games.

Garlador

I can only think of the definitive Pokémon MMO with VR?

Pokemon-NXT.jpg

The dream.

It's dead.

Very sad but this is the truth. I'm currently replaying the Orange Box and Portal 2...and I can't believe they just didn't want to continue these series.

Hmmmm... So.... If somehow HL3 would get released.... Which one would be the next most expected game? Like a seriously wanted secuel game? Darksiders 3?

A new Monkey Island adventure maybe.

Ionic

Episode 3 was supposed to come out in '08 though. I'm not sure since I wasn't really following DOOM closely around that time, but until 2015 or 2014, I feel like almost no one believed in DOOM 4. Either they thought it wouldn't be great or live up to the series, or they just thought it wouldn't happen. I think the situations are fairly comparable.

It's just that instead of making several mediocre games while people waited for the long coming sequel, Valve has hardly made any games, and so has maintained their developer cred a bit better than iD did before reversing negative sentiment with DOOM.

I'm not sure this is the right assessment. id released far fewer games between Doom 3 and Doom 2016 (11.5 years) than Valve has between Episode 2 and today (9 years). People gotta stop acting like Valve fell off the face of the development Earth after Episode 2, or Portal 2, or wherever people decide to move their goal post.

As for Doom 4, I think most of the pre release ire for it came from the various leaks indicating it would be some character driven Call of Duty singleplayer like affair. Everybody is glad they eventually scrapped that. RAGE had a lot of dubious decisions, but everybody at least agreed the controls were super responsive and shooting things felt good so we knew going in they could still do that much.

Yarbskoo

It's dead.

Very sad but this is the truth. I'm currently replaying the Orange Box and Portal 2...and I can't believe they just didn't want to continue these series.

A new Monkey Island adventure maybe.

At this point I think I'd rather have another Sam & Max.

Doesn't even have to be a game, just anything.

Even a new post on Steve's blog would be fine.

The same thoughts get trotted out every time this comes up but it's still just saddening that a company who used to have so much verve for innovation and creating incredible games have decided to move entirely into hardware while the money comes in from eSports/Steam instead of being inspired to actually tell stories and create beautiful, inspirational games that people can enjoy.

I'm not sure I remember much of the story today. This or my mind chose the safest path and avoid the pain of waiting.

Deep thought for a saturday.

Vex_

Banned
Lmao, no one cares anymore about this GARBAGE franchise.

They're not releasing it because they know the fucking thing SUCKS!

"ok so here theres like a seesaw and you put bricks on one side and you can jump off the other side to progress"

"omg this is going to revolutionize the genre for 50 years how could u be so brilliant."\

hl2 is boring

ZehDon

Gold Member
I waited twelve years for James Cameron to release another film after Titanic, and it'll be longer than that for his next one since Avatar. I got nothing but time, Gaben. Nothing but time.
observing.gif

denx

It would be pretty amazing if Valve just dropped HL3 on Steam one day, no announcements, no marketing. The internet would go nuts and NeoGAF would meltdown.

After The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, and final FAntasy 7 remake were revealed in the same conference, it became a matter of when and not if Half life 3 would arrive

Machina

Banned
It would be pretty amazing if Valve just dropped HL3 on Steam one day, no announcements, no marketing. The internet would go nuts and NeoGAF would meltdown.

More than just GAF would melt down. I'm pretty sure my facebook feed would explode.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really want this to happen. The internet would melt down like we've never seen before.

soldat7

Valve doesn't want to make a game like Half Life anymore. It doesn't match their business model or future aspirations.

"ok so here theres like a seesaw and you put bricks on one side and you can jump off the other side to progress"

"omg this is going to revolutionize the genre for 50 years how could u be so brilliant."\

hl2 is boring

Funny how posts like this go basically unchallenged. the source engine is an incredible piece of tech that honestly never had it's full potential explored. If it wasn't for source engine we would have never had portal, considering one of the most revolutionary games of all time. Portal itself probably would have never saw it's full potential without the conceptual genius of valve behind it from the beginning to the end of it's production. Same with left 4 dead. This should be obvious when you consider followups from creators of both portal and left 4 dead have seen very underwhelming response. Valve still has the magic they always had and if someone can't see what a potential hit valve has with a new half life game then it's probably due to their own lack of imagination, not any fault of Valve itself.

Top Bottom