• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Xbox live issues o_O

shuri

Banned
So after a game, at the score board screen, what are we suposed to do? Wait for the host to restart the game? People dont seem to know, it kinda sucks if you play a really cool round with people and then you have to find a new server after that. No way it can be like that :lol

The manual doesnt talk about this :(

Yeah, the party-leader (host) is supposed to start the next game. Of course, the host can always leave or give control to another player. I don't think there's an automatic map cycle option.

fugimax

No, I've noticed this too. I have yet to play 2 games in a row with any one group of people. I always end up being sent back to the party screen after I see my stats.

Also horrible is the lack of a pure Slayer playlist. wtf bungie.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Just a small note..didn't want to make another thread...I've never seen LIVE like that at 3 in the morning before. My list was 80% full. Lot of people from this board as well, haha. It was the final hurrah of quite a crazy night for Halo.

Sysgen

On a simialr note the optimatch functions like quick match. I didn't get to pick what room I wanted to be in or am I missing something.

shuri

Banned
Indeed. I cant believe that got pass q&a. Jesus what a half assed implementation of online gaming. I want to be able to scroll down a list of servers. I want to choose my server MYSELF

I agree, the online implimentation sucks ass to the point where I thought it was somehow MY fault. Ratchet & Clank, of all games, has a far better setup. Here's hoping it gets fixed at some point.

shuri

Banned
Ok the live implementation is shit. You cant choose what you really want. You get matched, this game is wayy too noob friendly. I hate how i cant choose with who I want to play. I really a list of servers that I can join.

No reviewers mentionned this. The LOD problem in single player looks lame as hell. Those stupid reviewers never mentionned it. Were they afraid of losing exclusivites?

The fact that you cant rematch with the same group of people is a horrible mistake. Where is the competition in that? This is suposed to be the awesome live implemtentation that we've been told about?

Are console games reviewers such tools that they cant tell that its actually a sad excuse of a live implementation?

I bought Halo2 to play online (I'll play the single player game more during xmas time), but i really hate how i cant specify what i REALLY want (optimatch lets you choose what you want) but it just auto connects you to something.

really. What the hell went wrong here?

BACKLASHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

<shuri_H2XBL> I give Halo 2 a 8/10
<shuri_H2XBL> this is not goty material
<shuri_H2XBL> its a "great" game
<bobby> I'm looking forward to checking out co-op honestly
<RoHscx> the nGame quick death?
<CootSoonBed> yeah but you think it looks the same as the first
<bobby> I'm really hoping it's not choppy as shit
<shuri_H2XBL> i mean, i put it in the ranks of other great games
<CootSoonBed> so your opinion is colored by insane
<shuri_H2XBL> but it wont change anything
<shuri_H2XBL> when the first one came out, the graphics were great
<shuri_H2XBL> i was impressed
<bobby> do people actually like the Halo story, characters, etc?
<RoHscx> yes
<bobby> it all seems so, just, lame to me
<shuri_H2XBL> i was not impressed by halo2, at all
<RoHscx> read the books
<bobby> like something from that "Reboot" show
<RoHscx> its great
<bobby> with that retarded hologram girl and stuff
<shuri_H2XBL> its great if youre one of those anime weirdos
<bobby> oh, I'm totally not

Razoric

Banned
woot hey guys its not too late:

ops2_kill_screen12_big.jpg

Easy to play online as well.

Halo 2 killer bomb bomba

shuri

Banned
since i'm pretty much typing here what i'm talking about on irc. Here comes the copy paste:

<shuri_H2XBL> How come the weapons are so horribly slow to reload
<shuri_H2XBL> i wish there was a way to specify WHICH weapon i want to reload in dual
<shuri_H2XBL> I hit reload and BOTH guns get recharged and it takes fover
<bobby> same, shuri
<shuri_H2XBL> the plasma sword is a bit too strong
<bobby> I honestly suck at the game so far though
<bobby> I can't get the hang of it at all yet
<shuri_H2XBL> but its a worthless weapon against guns
<bobby> all this business of having to manually pick up weapons and whatnot.. totally foreign to me!
<shuri_H2XBL> it would have been cool if there was a secondary weapon mode that allowed you to deflect bullets
<shuri_H2XBL> and primary would have been a less powerful version of what we have already
<shuri_H2XBL> i picked up a plasma sword and killed 4 people in a few seconds
<shuri_H2XBL> what is tHAT!
<shuri_H2XBL> its only a matter of locking and hittig right
<Orin_King_of_Lunch> the weapon pick up in neccasary though
<shuri_H2XBL> thats no challenge
<bobby> hitting right?
<bobby> orin - yeah, I understand
<shuri_H2XBL> pressing the R button
<bobby> I'm really just not used to it yet
<Orin_King_of_Lunch> i dont want to be shooting l33ts and then find out i picked up a crap weapon cause i ran over it
<bobby> I'm not faulting the game or anything

<shuri_H2XBL> i dont like how we have to press the white button to team speak
<bobby> well... it could be like ut2003/4, where you set a weapon priority manually
<shuri_H2XBL> its not efficiently placed when you are in the middle of a battle
<bobby> I really liked that setup
<shuri_H2XBL> i'm using the old controller
<shuri_H2XBL> and having to use my right thumb to hold white got me killed a few time
<shuri_H2XBL> since i usually talk a lot to plan attacks and so on

edit: i'm gonna play some more to check out some issues i'm not too sure off. I wonder if there s a way to cancel a reload. I really hate standing them jumping around while some guy with a uzi is shooting at me while i'm reloading my dual guns

border

The long reload is one of the intentionally included downsides of dual-wielding. It's a little something called "balance"...

If LIVE is anything like LAN, then you don't have to quit when a match is over. Party Leader might just be taking a few minutes to set up options for the next game and stuff. I guess the only problem is if the party leader wants to be a grief player, he can just leave a bunch of people hanging in the lurch and not pick anything.

fugimax

This whole Live thing really has me kinda peeved.

I understand what they're trying to do. They want a simple interface that people can just jump into and go. No counting the number of green or yellow bars, waiting around while games fill up, getting kicked from a game after waiting for said game to fill up, etc..

However, in doing so, it looks like they forgot that people sometimes want specific things.
Maybe I just want to play round after round of Slayer...why can't I do that? Just have a "Slayer" playlist...no big deal. Why have I not played any successive games with the same group of people? Because it's not obvious that another map is coming up. Why have I had to play Ascension 500 times and only played one other map other than it? Because the maplist isn't randomized.

I mean geeze...come on. These are simple things. I'm confident Bungie will fix this stuff, but still...this is really basic shit.

Wow, people sure are stupid. The host hits B at the Post Game Carnage Report and it takes him back to the start game screen where you can change settings or immediately start another game.

I love the fact that people find it possible to just stop playing a game they don't like. They actually think they need to spend 20 minutes of their life telling us why they don't like it. We don't really care.

Lhadatt

Quoted, because he's right and you should read it:
DJ Demon J said:
Wow, people sure are stupid. The host hits B at the Post Game Carnage Report and it takes him back to the start game screen where you can change settings or immediately start another game.

My initial impressions of the Optimatch thing are I don't care for it, since you can't pick specific categories -- like Optimatch CTF, Slayer, etc. I understand what Bungie is trying to do with the ranking stuff (i.e. all players should be well-versed in all gametypes, enforced by randomized Optimatch types), but I'd rather see more specific categories.

Also, you all need to explore the XBL options. There's something called CUSTOM MATCH that lets you play whatever you want. These aren't ranked, btw. I believe you can also use custom game modes here too.

Be observant. I'd say "RTFM, n00bs," but I didn't have to.

Sysgen

Well I found this on Bungie.net and the guy seems to sum it up pretty good though I don't know if he's 100% accurate.

Ive been told that im just complaining and being a ****.
well in response i thought id post something constructive..

if you agree please post so and keep this up top, maybe bungie will read the "feedback" and do something

first
the lay of the land (for those who dont know)
if you want to play a ranked game the only option you have is to tell bungie if you want to play as a team or not, and how many people you want to play with or are in your party

from there bungie will pick the GAMETYPE and the MAP that you will play on .. you CANNOT designate these...
which i think sucks but i digress

If you WANT to choose to play your own GAMETYPE and what MAP you want to play on you must create a custom / private room.

This means that ONLY people on your friends list can join in (and friends on their friends list and so forth)
This makes it hard to get a large game going
and the game gets stale after a while playing against the same people

Plus it dilutes the ranking system because many people will choose to play their own game and map vs being force to play game types (bomb assault) that they dont like.

////////////

anyway
the fundamental flaw is that with custom games the only people that can join in are those on your frinds list

my sugestion is to make a optimatch lobby
similar to that in wolfinstine
where it shows a list of all custom game types being played and what gametype and map

that way anyone looking fr team slayer on coag or rockets on midship can simply find your game and join in
and PLAY WHAT THEY WANT TO.

dont think this is too unreasonable and should be doable
if wolf can do it why cant bungie.

leave the rankings how they are... but provide a way for people to choose what game they want to play.

First time i loaded up xbox live, i thought i was doing something wrong, at this point I'm finding it easier to play on xboxconnect. It also runs ridiculously smooth on xboxconnect, to the point where its hard to beleive its running through tunneling software.

It sucks cuase multiplayer is soooooo improved and fun. I'm having a blast on xboxconnect.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
CrimsonSkies said:
I love the fact that people find it possible to just stop playing a game they don't like. They actually think they need to spend 20 minutes of their life telling us why they don't like it. We don't really care.

Yeah, because videogame disussion forums are never, ever for anything like criticizing an element of a game you think has problems, especially a game with the most hype evar in the history of mankind. Oh yeah, and venting your frustration at an annoying part of a game doesn't mean you don't like it and don't wanna play it. I'd say it'd be far more frustrating if you really were wanting to like a game, and it had some issue that was a constant thorn in your side.

Jesus people. Get back to typing "omg rox00r lololol nintendo sux", what you're supposed to be doing here.

Btw, if "we" don't really care, why are you commenting? (You must be using the royal "we", or are stupid enough to make generalizations like that. Since I want to be kind and not assume you're a dumbass, I'll assume you're really Prince William :) How's the palace these days? :) :) :) )

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm getting really confused, so I just have two simple questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1) Will people in Europe be able to play with people in the US etc?

2) Can you goto a server or game that all your friends are in? i.e. can you choose to play with just your friends? I'm getting the impression you kinda get thrown into a game with random people?

LukeSmith

gofreak said:
I'm getting really confused, so I just have two simple questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1) Will people in Europe be able to play with people in the US etc?

2) Can you goto a server or game that all your friends are in? i.e. can you choose to play with just your friends? I'm getting the impression you kinda get thrown into a game with random people?

Yeah you can play with jsut your friends. In a custom game, it's not "ranked" but you can just play with your buddies and bungie still records stats for the game. And I'm sure Europe will play with America. I end up playing with europeans all the time.

todayzee

Last night we also had a good deal of trouble with some players "unable to load map" it wouldn't tell us who couldn't and there didn't seem to be a pattern involved with which maps would not load for some people.
Weird.
Did anyone else see this? Any insight?

Lhadatt

todayzee said:
Last night we also had a good deal of trouble with some players "unable to load map" it wouldn't tell us who couldn't and there didn't seem to be a pattern involved with which maps would not load for some people.
Weird.
Did anyone else see this? Any insight?
Nope, not yet. Anyone think it's a disc read/drive issue?

SuperPac

Personally, I love the Optimatch setup. I'm sorry but I hate scrolling through a list of games and then joining one only to find the 12-year-old host is waiting for his friend to join and kicks me out. I think the settings are pretty awesome--I've been able to join every type of game, CTF, Slayer, Oddball, whatever. All thorugh Optimatch. And I don't have to wait for the game to fill up to play. I don't have to worry about some idiot imposing BS rules on the match. I jump in and play the way Bungie wants me to play. I love this, and I wish other companies would implement similar systems.

If you don't wanna play that way, you have your custom matches you can geek out on.

If you play a Slayer game and wanna continue, why not invite everyone to a party so you can continue? Seriously...it's not that hard.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone hating on it is doing it wrong. Jeez, you start a party and that party will stick together forever, if you want to play purely slayer you have to play unranked. and that's good because otherwise people would whore their stats by playing 1 mode. Start a party, host the game and invite your friends.

If your friends are playing a custom game, you click on them in your friends list, select "Join Party" no, you don't need an invite unless they have specified it as private, and you join in mid game or wherever they are. It's very slick.

Crowza

The HUD isn't a bug. Halo 2 uses every bit of widescreen real estate it can get. If your HUD is cut off, it means your television suffers from overscan. You'll need to refer to your television's service mode to fix it.

Burger

Exactly, the ranking system forces you to be an all round player, get good at all modes, not just a slayer whore. If you wanna play slayer, play in the rumble pit.

It would be impossible to rank players any other way.

Make a party with a friend, get them to invite somebody else, get them to invite... and so forth. It's great.

SuperPac

I don't mind 3 minutes if it means I don't have to spend 20 trying to find one decent game (as was the case in some other Live games). Though I suspect some of the lag is merely because the game's getting so much traffic.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Optimatch is doing a lot of matching for best rank, so yes sometimes it takes a little while. Now that everyone is up and running though, should be pretty quick.

The good thing about H2 so far that I have found is that no match has been packed full of wankers, I think it's to much effort to organise a party full of wankers. I love it that no one has control over the match either, no booting or dropping the game. Also the large punishment for betrayals is a pretty good incentive not to do it.

I would give multiplay a solid 10 out of 10.
campaign gets a 8.

i seriously can't believe people are bitching about this. i played for about 2 hours last night and it was with the same group of people over and over. i dont know what people are complaining about, perhaps im not understanding what you mean. so far XBL implementation is excellent

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It took me a little while to understand that

Party invite -> Party sticks with you wherever you go, team matchups, custom games, whatever.

Except the rumble pit and head to head obviously.

Seriously everything is catered for. The only legitimate whine is that ranked games are not able to be picked by you. But then, you wouldn't really be good at halo if you only played one gametype so why would you want to rank that?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the major whine is, that in order for you to pick the game you want to play, you have to have friends online. If none of your friends are online, you can't just pick a game to join and play with a bunch of strangers..you have to play whatever is given to you. Right? I can see why that would grate with people, especially if you're used to online multiplayer with PC FPSes.

Top Bottom