• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Xbox live issues o_O

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you can just send party invites to people you played with, so you might have to play one or two ranked matches to find someone. but it's really No big deal. I played for about 8 hours yesterday and by the end I was just going into my friends list, seeing everyone was in custom games and selecting "join party". If you have 1 friend online, just jump in there. Or just join someone you recently played with as Halo keeps track of that as well.

SuperPac

gofreak said:
I think the major whine is, that in order for you to pick the game you want to play, you have to have friends online. If none of your friends are online, you can't just pick a game to join and play with a bunch of strangers..you have to play whatever is given to you. Right?

No, actually. The way I understand it is that you select the type of game you want from Bungie's pre-selected playlists...Rumble Pit, Team games, etc. then does its thing to put you in that type of game. If it can't find one, it makes one and then finds people to join you. Then you can add anyone who wants to go again to a party and it takes all y'all + fills any open slots and throws you into another game. It's really pretty seamless. You can be up and running in a good game in no time flat.

If you want to customize every little bit of a match and set it to particular rules then yes you have to have friends online.

Stryder

SuperPac said:
If you want to customize every little bit of a match and set it to particular rules then yes you have to have friends online.
I think that's what his gripe is.

I'm actually quite impressed with the playlist system, it works well, but I would liked to have had a match on Zanzibar by now (hanging to play it after seeing all the footage!), it would have been cool to have chosen a particular map preference to search with but it might be too long to find matches that way I think.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
pretty much the only thing that annoys me about the playlists is getting oddball in the rumble pit. and I guess assault in the team skirmishes. Assault is just silly and oddball without a team is dumb as well.

Team oddball is quite good though.

catfish said:
pretty much the only thing that annoys me about the playlists is getting oddball in the rumble pit. and I guess assault in the team skirmishes. Assault is just silly and oddball without a team is dumb as well.

Team oddball is quite good though.

Oddball without a team is usually pretty fun. It only gets messy when everyone plays it like a regular DM instead of gunning for the guy with the ball.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Lemming said:
Assault is pretty cool, IF everyone knows what they are doing.

yeah, I have been spanked in a couple of ranked team games.

Me: "Where is the ball"
Others: "What the fuck is the ball dude"
announcer "bomb armed"
others" "oh"

good times.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
catfish said:

announcer "bomb armed"
others" "oh"

good times.
:lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Only thing I dont like about optimatch is that it seems to take forever. I'm too impatient to wait for it to find a game. Thankfully I can just join a game with GAFFers in a few seconds

hgplayer1

anyone had problems getting disconnected from Live? I dont mean necessarily while in a game either. Ive been disconnected at the menus and at first couldnt even get signed in to Live. might be the connection at the house that Im at.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
hgplayer1 said:
anyone had problems getting disconnected from Live? I dont mean necessarily while in a game either. Ive been disconnected at the menus and at first couldnt even get signed in to Live. might be the connection at the house that Im at.

we hit that about 16 hours ago, seemed like live just shat itself for about 20 mins. other than that is was fine. If you get disconnected in game, it's usually the host dropping, and it reconnects everyone and you pick up where you left off, minus the host.

My problem is I couldn't find any kind of area where I could choose a game to jump into. I guess I expected the awesome MechAssault interface, but I am damn confused right now. I'll sit and wait for a long time, with nothing happening, so I just leave and go back to the single player.

hgplayer1

evilromero said:
My problem is I couldn't find any kind of area where I could choose a game to jump into. I guess I expected the awesome MechAssault interface, but I am damn confused right now. I'll sit and wait for a long time, with nothing happening, so I just leave and go back to the single player.

you didnt have anyone on your friends list that you could join? if not then you best bet is to go to quick match and cross your fingers. optimatch is more likely to take a while to find a game.

Nos_G

I just lost my friends list... damn.

xbox.com says Live is up and running, but it says I do not have any friends... :(

Azih

If you don't have a healthy friends list then Xbox Live multipaly setup is definetly not ideal.

But that's where GAF comes in.

I think the major whine is, that in order for you to pick the game you want to play, you have to have friends online. If none of your friends are online, you can't just pick a game to join and play with a bunch of strangers..you have to play whatever is given to you. Right? I can see why that would grate with people, especially if you're used to online multiplayer with PC FPSes.

Exactly my issue. I love TS, but that option isn't available in unrannked optimatch (to the best of my knowledge). If my clan/friends aren't online I'm fooked...I sually just end up playing some more of the SP if this is the case, which makes me very sad (as sometimes I jump on to play some MP and no one's on :(). I wish Bungie would update this so that the option to wade through various modes is there for people who want it.

catfish said:

announcer "bomb armed"
others" "oh"

good times.

Has happened to me oh so many times it's not even funny. I need to get better at team games, I'm not good at coordinating with other teammates (not all my fault, there needs to be more communication...had no probs playing in teams in RTCW cause people TALKED!). I'm usually sniper/rocket support for CTF's and other team based modes (as it allowes me to play them like TS's, and it provides valuable support to my team..win win).

Rodriguez

todayzee said:
Last night we also had a good deal of trouble with some players "unable to load map" it wouldn't tell us who couldn't and there didn't seem to be a pattern involved with which maps would not load for some people.
Weird.
Did anyone else see this? Any insight?

This shit plagued my games last night with Musashi Wins!, PRINE, Gash Prex, and ZOR MAGNUS. The only map we could play was Zanzibar. Crap game.

todayzee said:
Last night we also had a good deal of trouble with some players "unable to load map" it wouldn't tell us who couldn't and there didn't seem to be a pattern involved with which maps would not load for some people.
Weird.
Did anyone else see this? Any insight?

At least one player is getting a "You could not load the map" instead of whatever the general "A player didn't load the map" message is. That player needs to reset their xbox, because their drive couldn't read the map file of their disc.

Bebpo

Banned
Azih said:
If you don't have a healthy friends list then Xbox Live multipaly setup is definetly not ideal.

But that's where GAF comes in.

That's true, except if you don't live in the US then there can be times when no one from GAF is online. Yesterday I was mainly playing Japanese players in rumble pit and doing the 5-6 min games and then having to go back and wait another 3 mins to find a new game -> play 5-6 min game -> wait 3 mins -> repeat.

Going from what everyone's said the quickest solution to that would be to just invite everyone currently playing into my friends list and then create a game and have everyone switch over. That's great except if you don't want to have a huge friends list of a ton of people you played with once. I mean I keep my friends list at like 4-5 people who I actually know and talk to outside of gaming. Otherwise I don't remember who the hell any of the people are ^^;;

Top Bottom