• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 PUBLIC free preview: IMAX screen, Seattle Pacific Science Center, August 21

FFChris

MirageDwarf said:
Somebody should create new general thread for Halo 3 coverage from IGN/1UP.

I don't know, is there really going to be any new information given out on those days? Seems to me IGN and 1up are just rounding up all the information we have been given.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag 504 said:
So Ghaleon, only one question.... was the drive worth it ? :D
Yes. No regrets at all. :D
Dirtbag 504 said:
DUDE THE FRAMERATE!!!
Its buttery smooth!!!
I'll corroborate what Drew said. When Tsavo Highway started, the first thing I did was turn to D3vious and say, "That's not 30 frames per second. It's way too smooth for that." The rate held up during combat too. It was buttery.

I keep coming back to a couple general thoughts about last night.

First, is how polished the whole thing is. Remember how polished the Beta felt right out of the gate? The interface is clean and intuitive, the loading screen cool and brief. I saw the "loading..." at the bottom of the screen during Campaign a few times, but didn't notice any frame hitch when that happened. Everything just flowed beautifully.

What also struck me was the juxtaposition of scale and detail. The little stuff that made the Beta cool (blowing snow, falling leaves, etc.) is there in abundance in Campaign. The grass moves when you pass through it convincingly, the HDR transitions from dark to light environments is subtle yet impressive. At the same time, the environments are just mammoth in scale, as Drew described. And the same level of detail appeared to be applied to these giant structures and environments as to ever corner of the battle terrain. The artists spent a lot of love on the environments.

The last is the feature set. They showed three demos, but looking at them as three separate parts of the game is like looking at three puzzle pieces and imagining the picture. The co-op demo was great, and so was the saved film demo. But they took a Saved Film of the Campaign demo, too - which is going to rock watching back, especially with four players. Forge in and of itself is a wonderful tool, but layering custom games on top of them takes it to another level. And then sharing those out via File Sharing, and being able to browse them on Bungie.net. More Saved Films can be recorded on those Forge creations.....it all ties together into a very complete package. The features integrate and complement each other in a way that makes them more than the sum of the parts.

Halo 2 MP was known for breaking new ground due to its party system and matchmaking. I think Halo 3 has several features that are on par in significance with those - Saved Films, Forge, online co-op (with the skull modifiers - I counted 13 of them before Luke toggled away), File Sharing. Even outside of the actual Campaign, the feature set alone is going to have a huge impact. Saved Films have already spoiled me - I want them in Bioshock. :(

GhaleonEB

HallwayGiant said:
Was the music still placeholder or did I miss something?
His music was in there, and it was all new (though a few familiar themes crept in). I think it was final, but I'm not sure. Definately new, though.

Teen Ape

RubberJohnny said:
I read that wall of text and then realised I'd just spoiled a lot of one level for myself. Godammit!
Yea, I steered clear of that post once I saw how massive it was. I figured he detailed everything that happened and I sure as shit did not want to know a thing about it.

element

GhaleonEB said:
I'll be there Friday and Saturday, leaving late Saturday night. You going?
probably. going to look into getting a VIP badge hookup from friends so I can move in and out of rooms without problems :D

jet1911 said:
Why so short? :(

Sealab_Marco.png

Doodlebug

Holy crap @ that offscreen. Just...yes.

Damn, Ghaleon. They way you trace acute details with so much passion, still reflecting, many hours after the event, is getting me all smiley and bouncy. You get me so damn excited for this game at times -- when I'm trying to control myself. :lol

Awesome, though the person playing it kinda sucks; it's even worse watching someone good because you want to rip the controller out their hands and show them how to really play the game.

GhaleonEB said:
His music was in there, and it was all new (though a few familiar themes crept in). I think it was final, but I'm not sure. Definately new, though.
Coolness, can't wait for that veil to be lifted since (until now) very little has been actually heard.

Photolysis said:
Awesome, though the person playing it kinda sucks; it's even worse watching someone good because you want to rip the controller out their hands and show them how to really play the game.

he throws a granade at a covie dropship

Doodlebug

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
he throws a granade at a covie dropship

:lol I hadn't even noticed.

My eyes were likely creating more motion blur than there actually is, trying to focus on every part of the screen at once.

LukeSmith

dark10x said:
Ah yes, I'm so glad that the gaming season is finally here. The release of Bioshock marks the beginning of the 2007 Fall of Greatness. I love this time of the year!

Even better, thanks to various delays, it looks like this streak of awesome will continue well into 2008 (a normally slow period).

Halo 3 sounds like a real winner too. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I refuse to view ANYTHING from the single player at this point. I don't want to know a thing before playing the game for the first time. I'm taking a couple days off of work just for Halo 3. :)

We'll have to play some co-op at some point, Dark. I'd love to pick your brain about TVs while we melt Covenant!

Dirtbag

LukeSmith said:
We'll have to play some co-op at some point, Dark. I'd love to pick your brain about TVs while we melt Covenant!

Oooo! Me 2.
I'm an AV-aholic

I'll be playing on my Bravia xbr2 !!:D

S1kkZ

now that ign broke the video embargo, bungie should release the single player hd direct feed videos :)

btw @bungie: there is no halo 3 for the general audience in leipzig. WHY?

Falagard

If you watch the offscreen footage closely there's an effect when you get hit that looks like a honeycomb on your visor.

GhaleonEB

Looks like the clip is linked from this IGN article.

Top 5 Leipzig GC Halo 3 Moments

5. Gawking at the Stationary Plasma Shield: A lot has been written about the disappointing look of the Halo 3 multiplayer beta that occurred earlier this year. There's little to complain about with the campaign mode, although some will surely find reasons to grumble. The design is quintessentially Halo, evoking a sense of nostalgia you wouldn't think possible from a franchise so young. Just when I was getting reacquainted with the Halo world, I came over a hill to spot a stationary plasma shield. These look awesome. The new look is a natural evolution of what we've seen in past Halo games, but the added effects plastered on it do the more powerful hardware justice.

4. A Suicidal Grunt: The Grunts are always looking for someone to protect them. Trios of them can be found following Brutes all through Tsavo Highway. Take out the Brute and the Grunts lose hope, as they've been known to do in the past. After taking out one Brute with a few shots to the head, a Grunt came running towards me like a raging bull streaming that all too familiar trail of someone that has been stuck by a plasma grenade. Whether he pulled them out himself or got stuck by a friend, I can't be sure. But he definitely didn't survive the resulting blast.

3. Setting the Mood: Tsavo Highway opens with a Warthog ride through a few caves before emerging onto a large, narrow battlefield. Driving through on the new weaponless version of the 'hog, I couldn't help but notice the great use of lighting to set the mood. Spotlights in all the right places, and some sweet lighting effects as I emerged to daylight produced a nice build-up of tension.

2. Brute Chopping a Brute: The Brutes may have brought a new vehicle to the party, but that doesn't mean the Chief can't use it against them. Hopping behind the wheel of the Brute Chopper for the first time is great. Running over a Brute with it is even better.

1. Booster Brute Punch: Several Brutes in Tsavo Highway like to make use of some nifty booster packs. With them, they'll try to get the higher ground, gain tactical positioning, or sometimes just hurdle themselves at you. One did the latter with great results…for me. After peppering it with assault rifle rounds, it came down directly into my swinging fist. The result was a smile on my face.

Falagard

Holy shit :-D

Also if you watch that IGN footage - did you wonder where the Grunt went when he player missed the melee and turned around and the Grunt was gone?

Look closely, he climbs over the big concrete barrier. You can only see his shadow and a bit of him, but he climbed up it.

Tieno

Falagard said:

Look closely, he climbs over the big concrete barrier. You can only see his shadow and a bit of him, but he climbed up it.
Yep, you're right! Nice catch!

Doodlebug

Falagard said:

Oh yeah.

Wasn't there something said about Brutes climbing trees? Or atleast up and on to some ledge where the player was... I can't remember.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:

Also if you watch that IGN footage - did you wonder where the Grunt went when he player missed the melee and turned around and the Grunt was gone?

That's cool. I remember Jaime talking about how the enemies can climb over everything now.

Someone recored AUDIO from last night, for those who want to use their imagination.

http://360rantrave.blogspot.com/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Falagard said:

Yeah. They climb stuff.

PaulRTC said:
Hey when exactly is the Forge related online embargo up? (If it isn't already.) Can't wait for The Forge podcast with Tyson and Lars. :)

As awesome as that IGN video is, it still doesn't do the game justice. I think Ghal and the others that were there would agree with me that this game needs to be seen in person to see just how truly awesome it is. The experience was great. Esp on the IMAX screen. And yeah, the framerate looked higher than 30, and no matter what happened, it never dipped. Even when the huge Cruiser passed overhead (which was my favorite part)

Top Bottom