• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 PUBLIC free preview: IMAX screen, Seattle Pacific Science Center, August 21

Is the buttery smoothness due to some nifty motion blur technique or something? I've read that it's impossible for a TV to go between 30fps and 60. Or is it just the consistency that makes it seem extra smooth?

Falagard

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Is the buttery smoothness due to some nifty motion blur technique or something? I've read that it's impossible for a TV to go between 30fps and 60. Or is it just the consistency that makes it seem extra smooth?

Yup, they can only run at fixed frequencies, or a game can disable vsync and have the TV running at 60 fps while the game updates the screen at some other frequency (say 50 fps) and in this case you get what's known as tearing.

My guess is that Halo is still only running at 30fps and the apparent smoothness is mostly a result of the way the game controls. I bet they turn down the sensitivity on the controller when they're demoing the game so that it doesn't appear as jerky.

FFChris

As long as I can have dozens of enemies onscreen at the same time without a hitch in the framerate, 30fps is enough for me.

I don't see how they could have put it to 60fps, surely Bungie would have made a big deal out of it if they did.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FFChris said:
I don't see how they could have put it to 60fps, surely Bungie would have made a big deal out of it if they did.

Not how Bungie rolls. They'll get it running as good as possible without sacrificing gameplay. And if that means 60fps, they won't be thumping their hairy, cheese-stained chest about it. They'll just let you know when they're good and ready.

I bet it's 30fps with a nice motion blur effect, but who knows? They've had their way with this development cycle and it shows.

FFChris

urk said:
Not how Bungie rolls. They'll get it running as good as possible without sacrificing gameplay. And if that means 60fps, they won't be thumping their hairy, cheese-stained chest about it. They'll just let you know when they're good and ready.

I bet it's 30fps with a nice motion blur effect, but who knows? They've had their way with this development cycle and it shows.

You're right, silky smooth.

When a great studio gets the right amount of time, this is what you get in the end. I need more videos.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oh fuck! I forgot one thing! Did you dudes who when to the preview see the air canisters from Halo 2 in forge? Please tell me you did.

Ramirez

That music from the IGN video, I'm guessing that was just the E3 trailer music put over the video? It completely drowned out the sounds of everything else and overall didn't match the scene at the time...

PaulRTC

Ramirez said:
That music from the IGN video, I'm guessing that was just the E3 trailer music put over the video? It completely drowned out the sounds of everything else and overall didn't match the scene at the time...
Yeah that definitely wasn't the in game music.

Dirtbag

urk said:

I'm to the point where 60 fps doesnt matter now. That looked much smoother than expected, and I really dont need anything beyond what I just saw for framerate.

That, for me, was plenty.

Ramirez

What was the music like Ghal? I saw that you kinda touched on it, sayin' it was good if not better than his other work...did it sound similar to any tune from the past?

armubaba said:
Drew's awaiting activation, right?

DREW, IF YOU HAVEN'T SIGNED UP YET AND YOU ARE READING THIS THEN SIGN THE FUCK UP!

Maybe it would be better if you said "Would you kindly sign up on NeoGAF."

No need for harsh words.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
What was the music like Ghal? I saw that you kinda touched on it, sayin' it was good if not better than his other work...did it sound similar to any tune from the past?
One of the longer pieces was a rendition of the track that plays at 5:38 of the Et, Tu Brute? vidoc. It starts at a much lower key - just the rhythm as you enter a large open space. It ramps up a notch when some Jackal snipers engage, and then kicked into over drive when a Brute pack showed up. The melody was similar, but it had a lot of new layers and instrumentation and built up much slower. Another track was just plain new, a seemed like a mix of synth and strings, which also built up nicely. And lots of ambient music, both of which can be heard in "Gameplay" audio clip from this guys blog.

Top Bottom