• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 PUBLIC free preview: IMAX screen, Seattle Pacific Science Center, August 21

Tieno

Event is over
-Impressions start at page 11
-Video of crowd/fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrpR0DFTgSk
-GhaleonEB has written a quite comprehensive account of the event.#670
GhaleonEB said:
One advantage of having a two and a half hour drive home is I had plenty of time to organize my thoughts. Whether I am too tired to actually translate that into coherent sentences has yet to be seen.

Travel and Audience (Skip to next section if you just want to read about what they showed.)

I'm in St. Helens, Oregon which makes for a pretty meaty drive to Seattle. But I'd stocked up on munchies and caffeinated beverages and a stack of CDs, and was able to blaze there in two and a half hours flat. I went a bit faster at the end because all those beverages wanted very much to bid me farewell after a couple hours, but I wasn't about to stop until I got there.

I arrived around 9:00 headed over to the back of the line - which was simply epic. It ran for a good 200 feet or so, three wide. I give Luke a call on cell and he directs me to a delightful young woman who hands me my Golden Ticket. I am pleased that the crowd did not tear me limb from limb as I step in through the front entrance just as they let people in.

We waited about 45 minutes in the hall outside the theater, and it was a party atmosphere. Two guys had paper signs around their necks that said, "Please help, my 360 RROD". The guy in front of me had a Mister Chief t-shirt on, the one behind one that said "I see dead people", and featured a Spartan holding a rocket launcher while looking at four player indicators with red X's under them. A boisterous round guy had brought in a couple cases of Game Fuel and was handing out cans to thirsty fans (I spotted someone from Bungie sign the case while in line - cool). I chatted up D3vious (I think that's how he spells it); nice guy. About half of everyone had some kind of Halo shirt (I was in the Halo 3 Beta one myself), and there was a wild energy to everyone. Whoops and hollers when up when they let us in.

The theater was even crazier. We walk in, and on screen is the Campaign lobby. The Chief and Arbiter are on the right, in an idle animation with the custom options set up - Tsavo Highway, Heroic. Luke was controlling the action via a dev kit hooked to a monitor inside the entrance. As people got settled, he would tinker with the options, which elicited various very loud crowd responses. Setting the difficulty to Easy = loud booing. (All I can remember from the descriptions was Heroic ended with, "This is how Halo is meant to be played.") He showed the Skulls selection screen and a few other options, all met with cheers. He played the crowd like a piano. :lol

Overview

They did three demos of about 10-12 minutes each: Two player co-op on Tsavo Highway, Forge on High Ground, and a Saved Film from the E3 build, set on Sandtrap. It looked like the Epsilon build, from the maps and options available.

I'll do this in two parts - some larger, sweeping observations, and then a list of cool details I noticed. I think that will be better than excess blocks of exposition (sorry, Voc!).

Tsavo Highway

My take on Tsavo Highway is that it's essentially Halo, but with of the best design elements of the series and none of the poor ones, and taken up several notches. Luke, Frank and a large pack of Marines pile into a convoy of Warthogs and head out of an underground bunker into a long cave, which transitions outside. What follows reminded me of a combination of the outdoor section of Assault on the Control Room from Halo 1 and the vehicle sections on the beach of Outskirts from Halo 2. The level design pushed you forward like AoTC, but was very wide and had lots of small splits and elevations to allow for different approaches to the various encounters. Vehicles abounded on both sides of the fighting, mixed with a lot of ground troops.

Simply put, the fighting in Halo 3 is on the kind of scale that I wanted in the first two games. Even in vehicles, there were enough ground troops to overwhelm if Luke and Frank got careless - easily more than a dozen at one point, and that's not including the guys hammering them from turrets, snipers taking pot shots and the multiple vehicles cruising around all at once. All of this takes place in some good sized battle fields (still enclosed a bit, ala AotCR) with some epic, sweeping views of mountains, plains and the Ark site from the announcement trailer. The sense of scale that Frank has talked up is there. I'll write about the cool details that I saw here at the end. Visually, the game is STUNNING. More importantly, smart design choices abound and the combat just kept throwing one cool thing after another out there. It was unpredictable and thrilling. Frank and Luke both died. Lots.

Brutes are formidable. They deploy equipment pretty frequently. The first was a Flare pitched at Frank from a good distance. I thought it was a Fuel Rod shot at first, then it arced over to him and he screen went white, except for the HUD. He avoided ownage by running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. It dissipated after about five seconds. Several times, he'd start to pepper a Brute from mid-range only to have them throw down personal shields and force a change in tactics. Once I saw a Brute throw down a Bubble Shield - but not for itself. It was protecting a pack of Grunts getting mauled by Luke. Really, really cool that they actually protect other troops from fire. Luke got booted off the gunner seat of a warthog by a Brute once, to my surprise. They're very aggressive. Oh, and they sound terrifying. Remember how the sounds in the Beta had that nice, deep oomph to them, like the frag grenade explosions? Take that kind of impact and add it to the snarling of a Brute - they're terrifying to hear charging you.

Forge

From the Campaign Lobby is an option to Change Lobby, so the party can move to Custom Games, Forge, the film theater and matchmaking all from there together. Forge on High Ground was next. They start as a Spartan and with the click of a button turn into a Monitor, which you control from first person with a unique HUD. While a Monitor you can pick up the objects that are on the map and drag them around through the air - rocket launcher, turret, Mongoose.

Frank pulled up the objects menu that appeared on the right hand side of the screen (small enough that it only took up about 1/5 of the view) and there was a budget in dollars, which started around $170. There were seven categories of objects to place, the first of which were weapons, which cost $2 each. Next up was vehicles, which had higher costs - a Scorpion was $20 (which Frank dropped on Luke, who was busy building a pile of fusion cores), smaller vehicles cost less. He spawned a large box (Urk's dream) and demonstrated the physics of it by having Luke stand on top, and then lifting them both into the air. Luke was dumped off it when Frank rotated the box forward.

After that they screwed around a little - Luke destroyed Frank's Monitor with a Spartan Laser, blew up a big pile of fusion cores (the sound was simply thunderous), and then Frank grabbed the Gravity Hammer.

Ho. Ly. SHIT.

Frank demonstrated it by swatting a parked Mongoose, which blew up and flew 20 feet away, crashing into the rock wall. One smart, subtle design decision: the explosion came a moment after it was swatted, so he wasn't harmed by it. If it blew right away, you could kill yourself by swatting vehicles. It was simply awesome, and will change multiplayer quite a bit - you'll have to look to see if that guy you're about to run down is toting one before heading their way.

After that, it was on to Saved Films. AKA, my new favorite feature in Halo 3 (sorry, online co-op!).

Saved Film

It's one of those things I thought would be okay until I saw it. Frank replayed a fight on Sandtrap (probably the one they showed at E3, since it was the now-ancient E3 build). A few great moments captured:

1) Freeze-frame the moment a lone gunner on a warthog had the 'hog blown out from under him by a Spartan Laser. The 'hog few out from underneath, and he flew back from the explosion. Catching the contorting corpse and zooming in on the explosion Matrix-like was simply awesome.

2) Following a group of vehicles chase-cam style as they raced around the map towards an intersection - then pausing and swinging the camera around to spot three other vehicles coming in from the other side. Demolition derby ensues. (Red team = owned.)

3) The sound effects pause. So zooming in on a rocket flying through the air brings the whoosh of the rocket to the fore. Ditto the energy drain, an explosion, and more. It's a subtle and brilliant touch.

I will probably spend at least as much time on Saved Films as actual multiplayer. So. Awesome.

Okay, that's the overview. Probably not very well written. Lots of bullet points to come - all the cool details I can remember.
GhaleonEB said:
Tsavo Highway random notes

--Frank had to hit a switch to open the gate at the start of the level. The way light starts pouring in was gorgeous.

--There's a LOT of territory to cover. The spacing of encounters to territory is similar to the second level of the first game - a very good thing. Lots of detailed, varied terrain to cross between encounters.

--Twice they drove under wreckage from the space tether, and there was a long, looped wire dangling down. Jumping over a ledge going fast enough, they tapped it and it swings back and forth.

--Approaching the entrance to the cave, the outside was saturated in light, just like in life when you leave a dark place for a bright one. The "eyes" adjusted right before they exit into daylight. It was all over in a second or so but a very cool touch.

--The rear bumper of their warthog was hanging on by a thread, bumping along the ground for a while.

--At one point, they exit a tunnel and a Foreruner capital ship flys right by over head - the entire sky is covered in it. Super detailed, loud, fast and awesome.

--Towards the end of the section they showed, the Ark site came into view. There were several capital ships using plasma cannons (like in the E3 trailer) far in the distance to excavate. The Forerunner ship that Truth flew from High Charity at the end of Halo 2 was parked in the middle of the site. A squadron of about a dozen Banshees flew by. Lots more appeared to be in the distance. It was epic and foreboding.

--Frank rammed a Grunt up against wall with a Warthog, and it crunched.

--The different voices for the Grunts are cool. When there's lots of chatter it sounds like a crowd of individuals, not a bunch of clones.

--The entrance to a tunnel was blocked by a giant shield door - like the ones on Snowbound. Frank had to fight his way to it, then poke his head inside and toss a grenade at the generator to bring it down. It was very well defended; he was owned by a swarm of Drones once.

--When Frank started using the plasma turret, it was cool. When he ripped it from the foundation with a shower of sparks and carried it around as a support weapon, it was badass beyond belief.

--The level feels like a war-zone. Downed Phantoms and other vehicles are everywhere, along with the constant space tether chunks and wires. It feels like a battlefield that has been fought and conquered, not a place where enemies are just waiting for you to show up. Overall, it was the most convincing rendition of a place that felt real - not just a level - in the series.

Pictures of the vent:
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Crowd:

5360t8l.jpg

53qf03c.jpg

Space Needle:

5xre6w1.jpg

Random Fans:

6fpxgnd.jpg

53kelx5.jpg

Halo 3 Ferris Wheel:

4kf42tl.jpg

Mister Chief!

4q50hht.jpg

Luke!

4mra7p4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope some Neogaffers are able to go. At least Stinkles will be there (and maybe LukeSmith too...)

WHEN: Tuesday night, August 21, 2007 at 10 p.m.

WHERE:
IMAX Theater, Pacific Science Center, Seattle
200 2nd Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109

Directions

WHAT: For the first time ever, Halo 3 will be unveiled to the public, in dramatic big-screen fashion at the Seattle Pacific Science Center, on an IMAX screen.

Bungie staff will be on hand to demonstrate a sneak peek at co-op Campaign, Saved Films, and one or two surprises. There may also be time for a brief Q&A.

Entry to this unique and unprecedented fan event is free, but you must be 18 years old, or be accompanied by an adult Guardian. Halo 3 is rated MA by the ESRB. Space is limited and seats cannot be guaranteed. Attendees are responsible for their own transport and parking.

Seats will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. The premiere and demonstration should last less than an hour.

Warning: Photography, video cameras and cell phone camera use are strictly prohibited.

To RSVP for this event click here: hnation@microsoft.com

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12720

GAFFERS who have RSVP'd
(let me know in the thread and I'll add you)
-SHOTEH FOCK OP
-D3VI0US
-GhaleonEB
-element
-Memphis Reigns

edit:
From the Bungie Weekly Update last Friday
No, this isn’t hyperbole about moving units of Halo 3, instead it’s about playing Halo 3 on a monstrous iMAX screen early this morning. I met up with a couple of Microsoft marketing dudes down at the Seattle Pacific Science center and fired up the build of Halo 3 I brought chained to my wrist in giant-screen glory.

Before I saw it, I didn’t think an iMAX sized presentation would work, I doubted the might of technology and top flight projection software alike. When I booted up Sierra 117, with its God rays streaming through trees, reflecting softly off of the water the kind folks from iMAX and the gentle-hearted Microsoft dudes simultaneously uttered “Holy -blam-“

Rightfully so, I’d say. We were only displaying the game on roughly 70% of the full iMAX screen real estate and I was playing from the back row enjoying the sounds and vision of Halo 3 in dinosaur-like sizes (big dinosaurs, not those crappy little ones that eat vegetables). If I could’ve made everyone else leave for the weekend, I would’ve played through the game, but the deal they wanted to make was if I wanted to play through the whole game, they had to sit and watch the whole game. Studio Head and Sith Lord Harold Ryan would’ve force choked Captain Needa-style if he felt non-Bungie employees seeing Halo 3 in its entirety. Frankie, had he been here, would’ve been in A/V heaven, but alas he’s airborne on an epic flight back from Australia.
Luke going to do the demo?
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12718

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Warning: Photography, video cameras and cell phone camera use is recommended.
Fixed.

For all you that get motion sickness from fps I suggest you dont attend...

Tieno said:
I hope some Neogaffers are able to go.

WHEN: Tuesday night, August 21, 2007 at 10 p.m.

WHERE:
IMAX Theater, Pacific Science Center, Seattle
200 2nd Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109

Directions

WHAT: For the first time ever, Halo 3 will be unveiled to the public, in dramatic big-screen fashion at the Seattle Pacific Science Center, on an IMAX screen.

Bungie staff will be on hand to demonstrate a sneak peek at co-op Campaign, Saved Films, and one or two surprises. There may also be time for a brief Q&A.

Entry to this unique and unprecedented fan event is free, but you must be 18 years old, or be accompanied by an adult Guardian. Halo 3 is rated MA by the ESRB. Space is limited and seats cannot be guaranteed. Attendees are responsible for their own transport and parking.

Seats will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. The premiere and demonstration should last less than an hour.

Warning: Photography, video cameras and cell phone camera use are strictly prohibited. but will happen
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12720

fixed

I wonder if anyone will have the cajones to say "I am missing out on playing Bioshock for this?" during the Q and A.

I kid though, I hope the video finds it's way to internet soon enough. My guess is they will show some more single player stuff as the surprises.

llTll

Banned
i dont fucking get this. why cameras are not allowed yet its fucking public preview.

god damn it how stupid these marketing people at bungie and MS are?

99% of the whole gamers in the world DONT LIVE THERE GOD DAMN IT

llTll said:
i dont fucking get this. why cameras are not allowed yet its fucking public preview.

They don't want some grainy off screen cell phone footage to surface and the inevitable downgrade total lulz threads sweeping the intrawebs.

llTll said:

You are acting as if nobody will succeed in smuggling in a camera and sharing it with the internet moments later.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I might go (if lines are not too long) but I will not take any pictures.
I want to keep my job.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
We're guaging attendance.
Population of Seattle is roughly 600k, from what I can find. Probably best to plan on most of'em.

Also, I sent an RSVP email, but that was before I read this post. It's a two hour drive, and I'm heading there if I get somekind of confirmation that I can get in, but I'll hold off if it really is first come given the travel.

D3VI0US

Just RSVP'd for the event, hopefully I can corner someone from Bungie and get the dirt on H3 at PAX and what will be there in playable form if anything at all. Frankie give us the heads up on if and how early we should get there.

Tieno

From the Bungie Weekly Update
No, this isn’t hyperbole about moving units of Halo 3, instead it’s about playing Halo 3 on a monstrous iMAX screen early this morning. I met up with a couple of Microsoft marketing dudes down at the Seattle Pacific Science center and fired up the build of Halo 3 I brought chained to my wrist in giant-screen glory.

Before I saw it, I didn’t think an iMAX sized presentation would work, I doubted the might of technology and top flight projection software alike. When I booted up Sierra 117, with its God rays streaming through trees, reflecting softly off of the water the kind folks from iMAX and the gentle-hearted Microsoft dudes simultaneously uttered “Holy -blam-“

Rightfully so, I’d say. We were only displaying the game on roughly 70% of the full iMAX screen real estate and I was playing from the back row enjoying the sounds and vision of Halo 3 in dinosaur-like sizes (big dinosaurs, not those crappy little ones that eat vegetables). If I could’ve made everyone else leave for the weekend, I would’ve played through the game, but the deal they wanted to make was if I wanted to play through the whole game, they had to sit and watch the whole game. Studio Head and Sith Lord Harold Ryan would’ve force choked Captain Needa-style if he felt non-Bungie employees seeing Halo 3 in its entirety. Frankie, had he been here, would’ve been in A/V heaven, but alas he’s airborne on an epic flight back from Australia.

Is Luke going to do the demo?

Remember to move your drunken revelry from the Science Center to the Dick's Drive-In by Key Arena.

For any out-of-towners, best worst burger you'll ever have! The fries are pretty good, too.

GhaleonEB said:
Population of Seattle is roughly 600k, from what I can find. Probably best to plan on most of'em.

Ya know, Ghaleon, Seattle is only 3.5 hours from Portland
Barring someone decides to rear-end someone on I-5...which has odds of 1:1.
. You could join them; though, expect the whole of the Eastside to show up, so I'd go ahead and bump that population figure higher...

FFChris

First Gears had the Texas Chainsaw Massacre showing, now Halo 3 gets this. MS are really getting good at their marketing.

GhaleonEB

RumpledForeskin said:
Great so 99.999% of us will read about it.
Hopefully, Bungie releases some footage of what they show online, along with the "surprises". I expect text updates by the minute! :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Bring it at least 300 miles close to me and I will be there.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
GhaleonEB said:

Also, I sent an RSVP email, but that was before I read this post. It's a two hour drive, and I'm heading there if I get somekind of confirmation that I can get in, but I'll hold off if it really is first come given the travel.

I am sure we're going to see many people from nearby cities all the way from Portland.

Seattle police will not be happy.

GhaleonEB

Gadfly said:
I am sure we're going to see many people from nearby cities all the way from Portland.

Seattle police will not be happy.
Yeah, I'm having massive cognitive dissonance right now. I'm in St. Helens, Oregon so that's a ways north of Portland, which chops over an hour off the drive. I can be there in just over two hours, easy. But if I get there, and the line is already too big, it will be nearly five hours of driving down the tubes. And I'm driving back up to Seattle on Friday for PAX, which Bungie has said they are also attending. But it's Halo 3. On an IMAX screen.

Hmmmm.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Hmmm should I go or not? Halo + IMAX sounds hot. Being packed in a theater surrounded by a gaggle of beefy teens....not so much.
Just wait 'til the Northgate Mall crowd gets wind of this. As if the 5, 42, etc. weren't scary enough.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Hopefully, Bungie releases some footage of what they show online, along with the "surprises". I expect text updates by the minute! :lol
Yeah, seriously. I live on the East coast, but I'm free tomorrow night, so someone that can text easily without having to take their eyes too much off the screen should volunteer to send texts of what's happening, and I can post it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I'm having massive cognitive dissonance right now. I'm in St. Helens, Oregon so that's a ways of Portland, which chops over an hour off the drive. I can be there in just over two hours, easy. But if I get there, and the line is already too big, it will be nearly five hours of driving down the tubes. And I'm driving back up to Seattle on Friday for PAX, which Bungie has said they are also attending. But it's Halo 3. On an IMAX screen.

Hmmmm.

If you come, we will hold you, Shoteh style. Preferential treatment for Ghaleon confirmed.

Top Bottom