• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

I love how the sony attack force is in here commenting on how crappy these pictures are. They are taken using a camera at a bad angle and you can barely see any real detail in those pictures.

Pug

Come on Razoric, come and join us conscientious objectors. Its great watching the battle from afar knowing we are right!

Razoric said:
Because maybe, just maybe mainstream gamers care more about seeing what's done so far than petty fanboy wars? The only reason anyone is fighting here is due to reactionary fanboy nonsense. Barely anyone is even talking about the actual game or information released.

I don't know about that. From a non fanboy point of view those screens aren't impressive at all (because the 1up guys already said some stuff wasn't in place). Just like I said in the MGS4 thread, there is no point in showing something half assed/incomplete.

Guess the hardcore Halo fans are happy though.

Doom_Bringer said:
See Bungie achieved nothing from releasing the screens. The haters are in full force and the Halo fans are on damage control mode.

Why not just wait? Use the real textures and lighting, polish it up... they should have given a kick ass presentation next year. They already have GoW which decimates the entire PS3 lineup (graphically speaking) I don't understand MS's marketing department :\

They got Halo 3 on the cover when two new systems are launching (for EGM anyway).

DoctorWho said:
I love how the sony attack force is in here commenting on how crappy these pictures are. They are taken using a camera at a bad angle and you can barely see any real detail in those pictures.

This is GAF! Lots of different factions do it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Doom_Bringer said:
See Bungie achieved nothing from releasing the screens. The haters are in full force and the Halo fans are on damage control mode.

Why not just wait? Use the real textures and lighting, polish it up... they should have given a kick ass presentation next year. They already have GoW which decimates the entire PS3 lineup (graphically speaking) I don't understand MS's marketing department :\

Because Halo fans like myself love to see the early progression of the game, and there are plenty of others out there that do as well... the smart ones that can read know that it's pre-alpha, and as long as all of the mags remember to state this, it's perfectly fine...

You can't completely starve people anticipating a huge title - the games that do usually turn out to be sh!t - zero media released till release day is usually a terrible sign...

PleoMax said:
MGs4 N64 textures -> Placeholers

Halo 3 placeholers -> LMAO DAMAGE CONTROLS GAME LOOKS LIKE SHIT!!!

So damn true that it isn't in the least bit funny...

Skilotonn said:
Because Halo fans like myself love to see the early progression of the game, and there are plenty of others out there that do as well... the smart ones that can read know that it's pre-alpha, and as long as all of the mags remember to state this, it's perfectly fine...

You can't completely starve people anticipating a huge title - the games that do usually turn out to be sh!t - zero media released till release day is usually a terrible sign...

yeah I guess that's true but as a Halo fan I have no problem with them holding back and until next year.

Whatever though.. Halo 3 will rock! :D

StRaNgE

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Greeaaaaaaat job with this thread guys... excellent job...

It went to hell on page 2, continued to rot at a rapid rate as each page went on, and to top it all off, it had a great title change...

Lovely. I should have stayed in the Halo 3 Hype Thread...

They might as well burn this topic to ashes...

The fact that 2 people can ride, and the second one can casrry a flag, and possibly shoot, is balance enough - but hey, it too late to have a serious discussion thanks to the ingrates here... let's take it to the other thread...

The best part is that very soon all of these retarded posts will turn into praise or awkward silences... but whatever...

i thought about that, which is why i figured it had none. but i can already imagine myself loving the atv and a small weeker weapon just something to help me get away if that is indeed the main use of the atv.

forget the capture the flag matches. think slayer.

the ghost has a high speed without the weapon firing.
this has nothing? a couple guns sticking out the front would rock.

(which other thread should this discussion be moved to?

GhaleonEB said:
In the early builds of Halo 2, you could fire a one-handed weapon while driving it (one hand on the handlebars, other hand set on the hood firing straight). Either way, it sounds faster than the ghost, so it's more of a getaway vehicle, and recon, than combat.

that might be just enough to help balance it a tiny bit.

Speevy

Banned
This is why you shouldn't show a game until it at least represents something in the same ballpark of what the player will be enjoying.

Everyone expect it to pick up from the very second Halo 2 left off? They'll still need some kind of intro to ease you back in. Dropping you in a huge earth battlefield has the potential to shock and awe.

StRaNgE

Banned
anyone got photoshop available?

take these and color correct them. brightness/contrast and all.

these images are leaps above halo 2.

just look at the flag and the warthog wheels.

castle007

Banned
The X-button will have a special use which Bungie will not reveal.

"You have reached the end of the game. The ending wasn't finished in time, so now it is time to use the special "X button". Just Press X to purchase the ending for only 6000 points. DON'T PRESS X TWICE."

*watches ending* then it stops halfway through and a message comes up:

"We are sorry, please wait for Halo 4 in order to get the full ending"

Personally, i'd much rather have a modest expectation of Halo 3 from a graphical standpoint and be blown away by the game, than be expecting *OMG best graphics ever* and be disappointed when they fail to deliver.

I'm looking at you X03 Halo 2 Teaser. :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Speevy said:
This is why you shouldn't show a game until it at least represents something in the same ballpark of what the player will be enjoying.

It is in the ballpark. Geometry and models are there. Textures could be improved and of course we know that lighting and effects are early. Still, these look pretty good for first shots.

GhaleonEB

sublime085 said:
Everyone expect it to pick up from the very second Halo 2 left off? They'll still need some kind of intro to ease you back in. Dropping you in a huge earth battlefield has the potential to shock and awe.
I think you'll start out on the ship again, and land on earth somehow. The first two games deliberately start on a ship, when go down to the surface. The smaller indoor areas make for good tutorial levels. Since the MC is on that one at the end of H2, I can see H3 having the same kind of introduction.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Skilotonn said:
So damn true that it isn't in the least bit funny...

Same exact shit in the MGS4 gameplay trailer thread and this thread and don't try to pretend otherwise. Fans of each series will defend placeholders as placeholders, being confident in what the studios are actually capable of, and people from other camps may attest to the reality that placeholders or not the games have significant visual deficiencies at the time they're shown.

*shrug*, if KojiPro or Bungie say that they're using placeholders then well I believe them, and I'll wait patiently for the footage that uses completely next-gen assets. That said, I mostly take issue with people who think that games from proven developers, obviously using placeholder assets, will look exactly the same upon release, because especially for next-gen it's obviously not true. Other than that, hey, if a game's visuals don't look impressive then there's nothing wrong with saying so.

Tieno

I took out the H2 screenshot, I thought people could use it as a reference but some didn't like that.

From what little I can see of the photos I think the multiplayer shots look awesome, very sharp and crisp. Can't wait to see it in 720p.

Farmboy

EviLore said:
Same exact shit in the MGS4 gameplay trailer thread and this thread and don't try to pretend otherwise. Fans of each series will defend placeholders as placeholders, being confident in what the studios are actually capable of, and people from other camps may attest to the reality that placeholders or not the games have significant visual deficiencies at the time they're shown.

*shrug*, if KojiPro or Bungie say that they're using placeholders then well I believe them, and I'll wait patiently for the footage that uses completely next-gen assets. That said, I mostly take issue with people who think that games from proven developers, obviously using placeholder assets, will look exactly the same upon release, because especially for next-gen it's obviously not true. Other than that, hey, if a game's visuals don't look impressive then there's nothing wrong with saying so.

First time I'm quoting for truth. I agree 100%.

GhaleonEB

Fallout-NL said:
I dont get it, were talking about those magazine shots here? Those look o.k. dont they?
yes, but this is GAF. also, the thread title (for a while) didn't help

pics look great. I'm thrilled.

Do we know the firing rate of the Battle rifle/assault rifle thing? Is that the main gun? Does it have multiple firing rates, effectively combining two guns in one? Might be a good idea.

sublime085 said:
Do we know the firing rate of the Battle rifle/assault rifle thing? Is that the main gun? Does it have multiple firing rates, effectively combining two guns in one? Might be a good idea.

The original assault rifle was back in the E3 trailer, that's a good thing in my opinion. Didnt really like the smg/battle-rifle thing.

Kabouter

plagiarize said:
should you be angrier?

i've been awaiting your appearence in this thread and you are disapointingly calm :(

Why would he be angry? :/
Because people vary in their opinions?
When people get angry over differing opinions over how a work in progress videogame looks, something is seriously wrong...

GhaleonEB

Father_Brain said:
I suspect that EGM staff aren't exactly thrilled about this.
Bungie had a ton of press there, not just EGM. The EGM is supposed to hit next week. I don't think the Sweedish coverstory will impact their US sales. :p

raYne

The hell is going on in this thread?

sublime085 said:
The BR and AR are two different weapons....

AR- full auto.
BR- fires in 3 shot bursts.

Tieno

Is anyone else turned on by that ATV on the green plane? That's Halo, green hills, mountains , trees and snow and here and there some awesome convenant/forerunner architecture.

Fallout-NL said:
The original assault rifle was back in the E3 trailer, that's a good thing in my opinion. Didnt really like the smg/battle-rifle thing.
Wait, wasn't that when it was introduced, the announcement trailer?

RumFore

Banned
Looks so much like Halo 2. You would think they would grow Master chief a few inches or change the look of the vehicles.

raYne said:
The BR and AR are two different weapons....

AR- full auto.
BR- fires in 3 shot bursts.
I know, there was a gun in the trailer that was essentially a combination of the two. Well visually anyway, that's why I was asking for clarification, thought it might have been mentioned in the article..

raYne

sublime085 said:
Wait, wasn't that when it was introduced, the announcement trailer?
Err.. the AR was in Halo 1.

Wasn't in 2, brought back in 3.

sublime085 said:
I know, there was a gun in the trailer that was essentially a combination of the two.
No there wasn't... that is the AR.

C4Lukins

I do not see how anyone can be super positive or super negative based on those shots. People are talking about it being in pre alpha stages to justify it not looking good, but does it look bad? The screenshots look detailed, but you cannot tell how much detail is really there. There sure as hell is not any wall guy going on in there, and even with the crappy pictures it looks better then Halo 2. I cannot say it looks amazing because you simply cannot tell how it looks, but for those who think it looks bad, point out what exactly is unimpresive about the pictures.

Top Bottom