• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Details And Concept Art Trailer

BlackBanditSho said:
Maybe I am the only Halo guy that looks at Halo 4 as a missed opportunity. I thought that the potential of master chief and cortana getting launched through a wormhole to encounter a completely new threat unrelated to the covenant was incredibly exciting. Using Master Chief in the lost in space model would've set up his inevitable return to the forerunner universe and the familiar, making things so fresh to fans.

Now, the thought of more grunts, brutes, and elites, the same jeeps, the same weapons...just bores me to tears. Between halo 3 and reach, I think they've done everything interesting - for now -within that mythology. It's sad that the opportunity to take the reins and truly run in a zany new artistic and adventurous story perspective wasn't considered. Master chief is such an iconic character, that it would've been amazing to see him Earn his OMG IT'S MASTER CHIEF status in a strange new world, stripped of all of his traditional tech, and rising to become what we recognize him to be.

In the comic book world, marvel pulled this off with Planet Hulk some years ago. This would've been huge.
I'm 99% sure we won't be fighting Covenant this game.

BlackBanditSho said:
Maybe I am the only Halo guy that looks at Halo 4 as a missed opportunity. I thought that the potential of master chief and cortana getting launched through a wormhole to encounter a completely new threat unrelated to the covenant was incredibly exciting. Using Master Chief in the lost in space model would've set up his inevitable return to the forerunner universe and the familiar, making things so fresh to fans.
You wanted not just non-Covenant, but not-Forerunner?

There'll unlikely be Covies in Halo 4, at least in the traditional sense, so you should be happy in that sense.

BlackBanditSho said:
Maybe I am the only Halo guy that looks at Halo 4 as a missed opportunity.

First of all, it's very likely that we aren't fighting the Covenant in Halo 4. So you're likely dead wrong and complaining about something that's incorrect. Second, you could go as far as to say we don't know what we're fighting in Halo 4. So you're basically making assumptions and making yourself look like an idiot. I wouldn't call myself a "Halo guy" when you clearly have no idea what's going on.

Summary Man said:
Can you elaborate on this? I find it really interesting, even though I'm not heavily invested in Halo fiction.

I was always under the impression that the Forerunner were, well forerunners to humans, and that we're related to them somehow, when we're their descendants, creations, or something else.

But according to Halo lore, humans and Forerunner were at one point equal technologically? When did this occur, and why don't humans have any record of this? Modern humans evolved around 200,000 years ago, and historians have documented the evolution and migration of the entire human species, so in terms of Halo fiction, when will we have had time to be a spare-faring race, and why is there no evidence of this?
Deadly Monk said:
So, biologically, are the Forerunners the same as us? I always thought of all them as super intelligent beings that could do no wrong and always had trouble imagining what they looked like or how they spoke if all of them were so smart. I know someone posted a link earlier to what one of them looked like but even that picture showed them wearing some kind of special suit all around their body.
Go read Cryptum if you guys are that interested. :)

PooBone

BlackBanditSho said:

Now, the thought of more grunts, brutes, and elites, the same jeeps, the same weapons...just bores me to tears. Between halo 3 and reach, I think they've done everything interesting - for now -within that mythology. It's sad that the opportunity to take the reins and truly run in a zany new artistic and adventurous story perspective wasn't considered. Master chief is such an iconic character, that it would've been amazing to see him Earn his OMG IT'S MASTER CHIEF status in a strange new world, stripped of all of his traditional tech, and rising to become what we recognize him to be.

In the comic book world, marvel pulled this off with Planet Hulk some years ago. This would've been huge.
Did you see the same Halo 4 panel everyone else saw? What are you complaining about?

BlackBanditSho said:

truman-show.gif

WJD

BlackBanditSho said:

I don't think you could be much further off-base with that.

I just want to see a return to the type of story we got in halo 1 and 2. Halo 2 in particular was just fantastic. I couldn't have been more hyped for halo 3 and i was incredibly disappointed by what i got, in particular the way all the stuff with the arbiter was just chucked to the wayside.

I think the potential of the series was kinda ruined by halo 3. Such a shame because i was so excited to see where the story was going to go.

I'm still very excited for halo 4 and i'm hoping it can rekindle my enjoyment of the franchise (although i did quite enjoy ODST).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
PooBone said:
Did you see the same Halo 4 panel everyone else saw? What are you complaining about?

yup, from the panel there was discussion of forerunner tech being implemented into human weapon designs. sounds hot. halo 4 SHOULD have a mostly unique set of environments/characters/weapons/vehicles with some favorites returning in some for or another. be excite

PooBone

op_ivy said:
yup, from the panel there was discussion of forerunner tech being implemented into human weapon designs. sounds hot. halo 4 SHOULD have a mostly unique set of environments/characters/weapons/vehicles with some favorites returning in some for or another. be excite
Sounds awesome and fresh to me. But they can't get rid of everything. Warthog will return and there will be familiar weapons, Chief and Cortana will be there, that's literally the only things we know will be "returning."

haters_gonna_hate_drunk_man_gif.gif

"When you're building a sequel to a game you have to add things, evolve things and change things up," O'Connor added. "One thing that's important about the Halo universe is it's a really big universe, and you've seen a palette of things. As we think about things we're adding to the game, we're looking not just to the past or investing in future stuff, we're saying, what other stuff would the UNSC use? What other stuff does humanity have access to?

"A tricky particular for Halo 4 is it takes place post the discovery of Forerunner technology. So we've been beaten back and beaten back and beaten back by the Covenant and haven't had the time or the luxury to invest in research. Well, Karen Traviss' novel Glasslands is going to touch on how the human race, when it's not being rocked back on its heels, is actually a fairly formidable force. Given time and given the scientific curiosity we have as a species, all of this stuff is going to be really interesting in terms of how we can advance our technology. But the UNSC stuff will still be gritty and war-like and very human. But there's lots more to come."

The quote above is from the original article.

Like every other Halo game, they will introduce a new species or two to fight. There might be some slick new design, as hinted with the forerunner pic, but what I was hoping for was something RADICALLY different. No reliance on the familiar UNSC, and NONE of the familiar tech other than what he and cortana salvage from their ship. I mean as radical a jump as what PREY 2 is hinting at. I saw what everyone else saw, sure. There's going to be a new halo game that has a few new designs and backgrounds with a real look at active forerunner tech...and that's safe. I was looking for daring, though.

Then again, I am one of those guys that wanted modern warfare 4 with space aliens....

PooBone

BlackBanditSho said:
Like every other Halo game, they will introduce a new species or two to fight. There might be some slick new design, as hinted with the forerunner pic, but what I was hoping for was something RADICALLY different. No reliance on the familiar UNSC, and NONE of the familiar tech other than what he and cortana salvage from their ship. I mean as radical a jump as what PREY 2 is hinting at. I saw what everyone else saw, sure. There's going to be a new halo game that has a few new designs and backgrounds with a real look at active forerunner tech...and that's safe. I was looking for daring, though.

Then again, I am one of those guys that wanted modern warfare 4 with space aliens....
Still not sure where you're getting all your freakish ideas from, did you think there wouldn't be a single vehicle or weapon from the series returning? If so, then you're not only dramatic and dismissive, you're also ignorant. Saying that Halo 4 is a missed opportunity because there's gonna be a warthog or a familiar UNSC weapon in it is about as ridiculous as saying "Metallica's new album is a missed opportunity because it has guitars."

JimiNutz

Banned
I really hope we get some new and unique weapons/vehicles this time around.
Obviously I hope staples like the Warthog return but I hope the vehicle is upgraded significantly with Forerunner tech to the point where it almost seems new.
Same goes for the other human weapons.

Maybe we'll have to wait until Halo 5 for this though, unless John is tracked down by humans during Halo 4? Otherwise surely he will only have access to old human tech (that was on the ship) and any enemy tech that he encounters. If you/Cortana were able to mod/upgrade your tech using salvaged Forerunner tech, that would be insanely awesome (although I know very unlikely).

NutJobJim said:
I really hope we get some new and unique weapons/vehicles this time around.
Obviously I hope staples like the Warthog return but I hope the vehicle is upgraded significantly with Forerunner tech to the point where it almost seems new.
Same goes for the other human weapons.

Maybe we'll have to wait until Halo 5 for this though, unless John is tracked down by humans during Halo 4? Otherwise surely he will only have access to old human tech (that was on the ship) and any enemy tech that he encounters. If you/Cortana were able to mod/upgrade your tech using salvaged Forerunner tech, that would be insanely awesome (although I know very unlikely).
You can already get a glimpse of the Halo 4 Warthog in the Forza video.

Otherwise there was a concept of an UNSC ship called Infinity above an alien planet and Frankie said that we could see human weapon with Forerunner technology at the Panel. Btw. humans are invading the Forerunner planet in the art trailer.;-)

Just get rid of armor lock and enable sprinting for everyone. Also, more human weapons, less alien weapons (unless they can make them feel more "real" and fun to shoot).

clashfan

BlackBanditSho said:

Your are going to be really disappointed because Halo 4 is going to be a FPS.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Just get rid of armor lock and enable sprinting for everyone. Also, more human weapons, less alien weapons (unless they can make them feel more "real" and fun to shoot).

Covenant weapon already are fun to shoot. Take the fuel rod gun, it's amazing. Or the needler.

And they cannot feel real, they can only be somewhat plausible.

There are plenty of "realistic" shooter out there for people having problems with pink guns.

metareferential said:
Covenant weapon already are fun to shoot. Take the fuel rod gun, it's amazing. Or the needler.

And they cannot feel real, they can only be somewhat plausible.

There are plenty of "realistic" shooter out there for people having problems with pink guns.

I'm just saying they don't pack a punch. I like the way the needler works, but the weapon feedback is terrible. I want to feel like I'm shooting something powerful. The fuel rod gun is pretty good.

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
You can already get a glimpse of the Halo 4 Warthog in the Forza video.

Otherwise there was a concept of an UNSC ship called Infinity above an alien planet and Frankie said that we could see human weapon with Forerunner technology at the Panel. Btw. humans are invading the Forerunner planet in the art trailer.;-)
Where'd you see that?

Arnie

BlackBanditSho said:
"When you're building a sequel to a game you have to add things, evolve things and change things up," O'Connor added. "One thing that's important about the Halo universe is it's a really big universe, and you've seen a palette of things. As we think about things we're adding to the game, we're looking not just to the past or investing in future stuff, we're saying, what other stuff would the UNSC use? What other stuff does humanity have access to?

"A tricky particular for Halo 4 is it takes place post the discovery of Forerunner technology. So we've been beaten back and beaten back and beaten back by the Covenant and haven't had the time or the luxury to invest in research. Well, Karen Traviss' novel Glasslands is going to touch on how the human race, when it's not being rocked back on its heels, is actually a fairly formidable force. Given time and given the scientific curiosity we have as a species, all of this stuff is going to be really interesting in terms of how we can advance our technology. But the UNSC stuff will still be gritty and war-like and very human. But there's lots more to come."

In all my years at GAF this has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read, and that is a serious achievement.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
I'm just saying they don't pack a punch. I like the way the needler works, but the weapon feedback is terrible. I want to feel like I'm shooting something powerful. The fuel rod gun is pretty good.

I guess it goes with the technology involved; there are no proper bullets; even though I still think some of them are satisfying enough. Even more than some conventional bullet-based human weapons.

But I get your point, some of them can feel a bit "light".

PooBone said:
Still not sure where you're getting all your freakish ideas from, did you think there wouldn't be a single vehicle or weapon from the series returning? If so, then you're not only dramatic and dismissive, you're also ignorant. Saying that Halo 4 is a missed opportunity because there's gonna be a warthog or a familiar UNSC weapon in it is about as ridiculous as saying "Metallica's new album is a missed opportunity because it has guitars."

sometimes I forget how insulting GAF can be.
Dude, obviously this was a wish list. I didn't insult precious Halo. I only described a direction that I *wish* the series could go. Wow.

PooBone

BlackBanditSho said:
sometimes I forget how insulting GAF can be.
Dude, obviously this was a wish list. I didn't insult precious Halo. I only described a direction that I *wish* the series could go. Wow.
A wish list is one thing, to think there's a possibility that the kind of changes you're wanting is a fever dream. To then say it's a missed opportunity....

Well.... let's just say I apologize for insulting you and leave it there.

metareferential said:
I guess it goes with the technology involved; there are no proper bullets; even though I still think some of them are satisfying enough. Even more than some conventional bullet-based human weapons.

But I get your point, some of them can feel a bit "light".

Yeah, its just a matter of preference. Maybe thats the way they're supposed to feel, I just wish it weren't.

I'm still majorly pumped, halo's mp has that mysterious element that makes it more fun and adrenaline pumping than anything else, just can't put my finger on it.

PooBone

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Yeah, its just a matter of preference. Maybe thats not the way they're supposed to feel, I just wish it were.

I'm still majorly pumped, halo's mp has that mysterious element that just makes in more fun than anything else, just can't put my finger on it.
Probably the fantastical, sci-fi locations you find yourself murdering people in.

Hypertrooper said:
There were 3 Halo 4 artworks at HaloFest. Ghaleon took photos of them.
Guess I missed that. Was it on that Halo 4 wall that Kotaku made a video of?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo Cryptum went from $8 to now at around $28 on amazon in the past few days!

:lol

:(

GhaleonEB

BlackBanditSho said:

The context of the first quote was in response to a question about what weapons we'll use. And the second one was similar, and specifically references Forerunner technology. Read what I have bolded above carefully.

All signs point to a new adversary and a much reset combat sandbox. Forerunner tech and new enemies mixed with some of the classic UNSC ordnance, along with new. Not sure how you read the above and took that away from it, but I suggest watching the entire panel so you can get the correct context. It's a good watch.

You are leaping to conclusions that are not in any way implied by what was said.

Lakitu said:
As long as there is no Flood, I will be happy.

TBH the Flood is kinda central to the whole Halo story arc. It is the reason the Forerunners got extinct and the reason they build the Halos. The Flood was "created" by the Precursors to get revenge on the Forerunners and it is a threat to the galaxy.

So sadly for you... I am sure the Flood will be back in the reclaimer trilogy (maybe not in H4). The fact that it is called Reclaimer trilogy, for me, means that this will be the trilogy that ends the Flood "invasion" (since the original human race was the one that defeated the Flood a long time ago before losing the war against the Forerunners).

I am betting that the main enemy will be some Precursor "allies" and maybe some Forerunner left over AI and its minions. The trilogy will probably detail the quest of MC to find out how the ancient humans defeated the Flood and where the last Precursor is hiding.

I would love to explore some Precursor technology / locations. I expect this trilogy to be a wild ride around the galaxy exploring some amazing locations (including Halo rings ofc).

TheOddOne

voltron said:
Anyone if 343 have done a Halo 4-related podcast yet?
The 343 folk run a podcast called "343 Sparkast", you can find it on Itunes. Nothing Halo 4 really indept has been talked about, but keep your eye on that one for Halo 4 talk.

voltron

TheOddOne said:
The 343 folk run a podcast called "343 Sparkast", you can find it on Itunes.

lol yeah I know dude. Thats why I asked, I thought maybe they had done a vague-ish H4 type show in light of this recent info release.

Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

TheOddOne

voltron said:
lol yeah I know dude. Thats why I asked, I thought maybe they had done a vague-ish H4 type show in light of this recent info release.

Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.
:p

Can't blame a brother for helping :)

Pollux

PooBone said:
Sounds awesome and fresh to me. But they can't get rid of everything. Warthog will return and there will be familiar weapons, Chief and Cortana will be there, that's literally the only things we know will be "returning."

haters_gonna_hate_drunk_man_gif.gif
What is this GIF from?

Top Bottom