• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

IHaveIce

Banned
Nice OP GP, I hope you guys deliver us some awesome Arena style maps, since they are lacking on the disc.

I'm excited to see what you guys come up with

OP missed a golden opportunity to make the thread title "Magnets, how do they work?"

I didn't miss it... I chose not to. :p The fascination of magnets will wear off quickly and since this OT is going to last forever and never hit OT2 then I felt it was better for something a little more long lasting.

Also I'm working on a gigantic post for the map I've been working on for months for H4. Lots of screenshots, lots of iterations, and playable simulations done in Unity so people can get a feel for the map in their web browser. ;) The map is called Think Again, a successor to Think Twice in Reach.

Unity2012

I tried to play around with Reach's Forge but got burned out pretty quick. I have a lot of respect for people who created amazing maps and sculptures with it.

I think the changes to Forge in Halo 4 makes it more approachable and less frustrating. I am looking forward to try it.

I am sure if some people were good with Reach's Forge, they are going to blow our minds with the new Forge. I look forward to see that.

Tain

I always wondered why you couldn't scale in Forge. I mean, I'm assuming there's a reason that it's not an option, but it seems like non-uniform scaling would open things up a ton.

Raide

I always wondered why you couldn't scale in Forge. I mean, I'm assuming there's a reason that it's not an option, but it seems like non-uniform scaling would open things up a ton.

I guess the main reason is scaling objects makes it harder to align things. We would have all manner of odd shapes all over the place. :D

Small grey objects or massive grey objects is as far as we can go.

Raide

RIP enclosed maps.

I am rubbish at making large open maps. Pretty much all of mine end up being 2v2 or slightly larger. The more annoying thing about enclosed maps is that you have to use so many pieces just to block off areas. Would be nice if 343 added some more prefab bits so it makes it easier to block out sections.

I am fairly certain that the reason is related to using Havoc as the physics engine. If I remember correctly the engine doesn't handle dynamically sized collision meshes very well. I don't know the details, but I remember hearing it somewhere. Perhaps Fyrewulff can explain it better. He is the techy one.

Though I do agree that object scaling would result in endless possibilities.

I am rubbish at making large open maps. Pretty much all of mine end up being 2v2 or slightly larger. The more annoying thing about enclosed maps is that you have to use so many pieces just to block off areas. Would be nice if 343 added some more prefab bits so it makes it easier to block out sections.

I'm pretty sure he said RIP enclosed maps because of lighting. Overkill's impressions of forge included being disappointed in how limited Enclosed maps would be because of the new lighting system.

2370856239_4cb2ed1752.jpg

Raide

I'm pretty sure he said RIP enclosed maps because of lighting. Overkill's impressions of forge included being disappointed in how limited Enclosed maps would be because of the new lighting system.

Ahh I see.

Currently I am basing things off peoples thoughts and some random footage. Cannot wait to finally get hands on and see what has changed.

RIP enclosed maps.

I've come to assume that Overkill is full of several different kinds of shit, so I never paid attention to his talks about the new forge. He got to spend a good amount of time with it, then? Does glass affect the casting of shadows; do the lights cause framerate issues? Either of those could be potential solutions.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Anyone here used to be apart of the Foreghub community? They do/did a lot of really cool events related to custom maps/games. I haven't been active for the past few years, but I'd imagine their user base has dwindled. Maybe us at Gaf could organize some cool custom game community events. They were always a fun time, and great way to test out your maps with a lot of players.

Edit: I know we have the map testings set up, but large scale events are always a good time too. Can't wait to see what everyone creates!

I've come to assume that Overkill is full of several different kinds of shit, so I never paid attention to his talks about the new forge. He got to spend a good amount of time with it, then? Does glass affect the casting of shadows; do the lights cause framerate issues? Either of those could be potential solutions.

From what I've heard glass does not create shadows so they are useable for windows. I've heard no instances of framerate issues at all except on Complex. And the lights are apparently as weak as in Reach except in very low lit situations (probably only Erosion). So we shall see.

I plan on avoiding Impact at least for a little bit. That is going to be the most used map of the three. I think Ravine will be avoided as well because of the similarities to Forgeworld. I really like Erosion's palette, but hate that the Grifball court is a completely different style from the actual pieces. I'm deciding on Ravine against a cliff... perhaps over the water or Erosion. It really depends on the lighting contrast for me.

As for enclosed maps... I don't think they are dead, but I do think that they need to focus on having a lot of open roof areas and windows to compensate. Light isn't needed everywhere, but there needs to be sufficient amount for the main areas and points of interest. Just my take. I've been doing a lot of planning around the new lighting system for some time now. Thanks to Unity I'm able to simulate lighting to a certain extent with my sketchup iterations.

Anyone here used to be apart of the Foreghub community? They do/did a lot of really cool events related to custom maps/games. I haven't been active for the past few years, but I'd imagine their user base has dwindled. Maybe us at Gaf could organize some cool custom game community events. They were always a fun time, and great way to test out your maps with a lot of players.

Edit: I know we have the map testings set up, but large scale events are always a good time too. Can't wait to see what everyone creates!

I happen to be one of the original Guilders (AZN FTF) that started the forum. ;) lol... but now I'm perma-banned twice over for like 3+ years now. But I do agree it would be cool to setup events with other communities.

Overdoziz

Banned
I wasn't really going off Overkill's comments, more the footage we've seen of Relay which shows that some parts just look incredibly monotone because of the shadows. The entire lighting system looks to me like it's mostly useful for maps that open, use natural terrain and have a few structures made out of Forge pieces on it. Sure, you could probably use it in some interesting ways in enclosed maps here and there but I think overall it will just make those kinds of maps look even blander than the already do in Reach. Hopefully I'm wrong.

From what I've heard glass does not create shadows so they are useable for windows. I've heard no instances of framerate issues at all except on Complex. And the lights are apparently as weak as in Reach except in very low lit situations (probably only Erosion). So we shall see.

I plan on avoiding Impact at least for a little bit. That is going to be the most used map of the three. I think Ravine will be avoided as well because of the similarities to Forgeworld. I really like Erosion's palette, but hate that the Grifball court is a completely different style from the actual pieces. I'm deciding on Ravine against a cliff... perhaps over the water or Erosion. It really depends on the lighting contrast for me.

As for enclosed maps... I don't think they are dead, but I do think that they need to focus on having a lot of open roof areas and windows to compensate. Light isn't needed everywhere, but there needs to be sufficient amount for the main areas and points of interest. Just my take. I've been doing a lot of planning around the new lighting system for some time now. Thanks to Unity I'm able to simulate lighting to a certain extent with my sketchup iterations.
I hope one of the big updates to the lighting system is how the affect the individual pieces. The baked-in lighting on FW would automatically turn a piece (or several) insanely bright, and it would totally screw up the atmosphere of the design.

The lights in Reach were pretty powerful indoors but virtually useless outside, so it will be very interesting to see how things differ. If there are subtle ways to create your own atmosphere without the engine fighting us, I'll be happy.

I have a feeling my first map will be a remake, just so I can be able to whip out a design I already know well. I may even replicate it in all three spots to see which looks best, depending on how easy the magnets make things.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
You and me both.

Overdoziz

Banned
I hope one of the big updates to the lighting system is how the affect the individual pieces. The baked-in lighting on FW would automatically turn a piece (or several) insanely bright, and it would totally screw up the atmosphere of the design.
I don't think this has been fixed. A map on Erosion which I saw on a stream still had that issue.

Retro

Ah, we have a ForgeGAF OT too? Sweet, I miss weekly Testing Customs and all the awesome, immediate feedback they provided. I probably spent more time with Forge than I do in MP, so having lots of people with lots of maps that can inspire each other is a huge deal.

Just dropping by to say that I should be available for the map test sessions (note: I'm not a forger, but I'd like to test) and can stream them as well to give some more spotlight and/or allow for archival/live footage for people who are interested but can't make it.

I can be a somewhat vocal critic, though, as some people from the Community OT know :)

Just dropping by to say that I should be available for the map test sessions (note: I'm not a forger, but I'd like to test) and can stream them as well to give some more spotlight and/or allow for archival/live footage for people who are interested but can't make it.

I can be a somewhat vocal critic, though, as some people from the Community OT know :)

Better to have vocal critics than silence or unhelpful yes men. Criticism is key to improvement.

Raide

Better to have vocal critics than silence or unhelpful yes men. Criticism is key to improvement.

This.

It is always welcome to get some critical feedback to make better maps. Over the months of Reach, many maps were refined well from multiple playtests.

Retro

As long as you're respectful and can provide helpful criticism, I'd be happy to have you.

Also, none of that "My words are golden drops of wisdom, and I will not be bothered to repeat or explain myself" crap, please. Some of us write down the feedback to review later or ask questions during the post-game and a certain few Forgers in Reach were complete douchebags about clarifying their comments beyond "I didn't like that."

It was both disrespectful and useless.

Zoolader

I was part of forge hub back in the H3 days. I will probably go back there for some additional map testing feedback as I'm finishing up my first H4 map.

As long as you're respectful and can provide helpful criticism, I'd be happy to have you.

Whatever, fishboy!
j/k

Anyway, I usually try to be respectful of people. But I'll be sure to make perfectly clear what I think isn't working with a map/gametype/etc.

External Memory

Neo Member
Subbed.

Constructive crit: Forge OT is too grey/ not grey enough/ needs more DMRs/ too much framerate.

Wait, so all Infinity ordnance drops – initial [classic +waypoint, so 16 a side/15+1 neutral], random, and Objective [dominion+ others] – cost $0 and just each have their own object limits!?

Hot damn, that is gonna be a fantastic relief on our $$$ budget. If I could spend all $1000 I have left on my Halo 4 pre-production map instead of the goddamn weapon spawns I would be a happy camper.

Now if someone can just confirm whether shield doors can still act as light bridges for Covie vehicles like in Reach ;)

(yeah I'm doin' another "gimmicky" BTB map)

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
I happen to be one of the original Guilders (AZN FTF) that started the forum. ;) lol... but now I'm perma-banned twice over for like 3+ years now. But I do agree it would be cool to setup events with other communities.

Yeah i was L0CKdownN (Now LOCK.xcf) from Forgehub, don't think i ever played with you but I was pretty active at its peak during Halo 3. Good times on TGIF.

Subbed.

Constructive crit: Forge OT is too grey/ not grey enough/ needs more DMRs/ too much framerate.

Wait, so all Infinity ordnance drops – initial [classic +waypoint, so 16 a side/15+1 neutral], random, and Objective [dominion+ others] – cost $0 and just each have their own object limits!?

Hot damn, that is gonna be a fantastic relief on our $$$ budget. If I could spend all $1000 I have left on my Halo 4 pre-production map instead of the goddamn weapon spawns I would be a happy camper.

Now if someone can just confirm whether shield doors can still act as light bridges for Covie vehicles like in Reach ;)

(yeah I'm doin' another "gimmicky" BTB map)

Yeah they cost $0 with item maxs.

Yeah i was L0CKdownN (Now LOCK.xcf) from Forgehub, don't think i ever played with you but I was pretty active at its peak during Halo 3. Good times on TGIF.

Sounds familiar...

Yeah they cost $0 with item maxs.

That's amazing... :) totally pumped to use that extra $500 for structure/decoration rather than weapons.

So is anyone interested in seeing what I've worked on all day? It is a 22K post with about 30 pictures... I've been working on this map for several months and have 4 solid versions of it already. There is even a playable simulation/game where you can walk around with a basic FPS setup to get a feel for the layout and LOSs. ;)

Top Bottom