• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

Time to get this thread going with forging plans. ;) The below post is split up into quote sections by iteration. They are in quote sections so quoting doesn't repeat the massive amount of pictures and so it resizes the pictures while still retaining the possibility to see them in their full size. Also the sketchup versions of the maps are built with modeled forge pieces. Here are the sections:

1. Rough Draft Ideation in Sketchup
  2. Initial Playable version in Reach Forge for sizing
  3. First Draft Plan for H4 in Sketchup/Unity
  4. Second Draft in Sketchup/Unity

At the end of this post are links to a playable simulation of Think Again done in the Unity game engine so people can get a close feel for LOS and locations. I would love your feedback. It requires a download of a plugin called Unity Webplayer... it is safe and used by thousands of indie game developers around the world.

So I've been working on a design since E3 this year and seeing some gameplay of H4. I threw together a quick rough draft after having watched the Adrift and Haven direct feed MLG videos that were put out. The idea behind this design was to take the gimmick of Think Twice in Halo: Reach's Team Slayer playlist (created by myself, A 3 Legged Goat, Sven Nietzsche, and Jonzorz 124) and turn it into a map that could have better competitive value. Note that I said better competitive value, not the best competitive map out there. ;) For those who don't know what Think Again, the idea is to use a 45 ramp/wall to serve as a continuous transition up to the next level. So you can walk up the side walls and jump up to the next level. Here is a video and screenshot of Think Twice in Halo: Reach.

Rough Draft Ideation in Sketchup

As I said I tried to take this concept of a walkable wall and make it less of a gimmick and more of a tool for use. The cool thing about the concept is that the flooring you can jump to becomes very dynamic cover as you walk up and down the side walls. It makes movement very important for survival. Below are several screenshots of what I started out with in Google Sketchup when I stated the idea. I made the ceiling transparent for viewing. :)

As I said I tried to take this concept and make it less of a gimmick and more of a tool for use. The cool thing about the concept is that the flooring you can jump to becomes very dynamic cover as you walk up and down the side walls. It makes movement very important for survival. Below are several screenshots of what I started out with in Google Sketchup when I stated the idea. I made the ceiling transparent for viewing. :)

Top Down view

Overall started out as a relatively simple octagon shaped map... split with a cross in the center.

ibsbbpE0es2RTB.png

Base View

The base was relatively simple... two levels, a quick back transitional platform where the flag would go. The base is more integrated into the layout than stand alone. And I had the idea of putting in windows to the interior area.

iYn4OX5CZbwva.png

Side View

Also relatively simple, a walkable outer wall that can be used to jump to the top level, a couple of entrances out to some sort of side area. Wasn't sure exactly what. My mind was working around Adrift outer platforms at the time, so man cannons out to the bases from said side area was an idea. lol...

ibtcnSOheMn6f4.png

Interior View

This was the more intricate part of the map. Paths to the bottom of the base, the center route, and the bottom side of the center area. Intended as the main "loop" of movement because of its security compared to the long LOS down the center path.

iy3kkwAxGiUGs.png

Center View

Taking inspiration from Think Twice's center this has walkable walls up to a center path. The walkable walls are only from neutral side to neutral side rather than base to base, so they will be used less often as a result and be less of a main gimmick. There would be a long LOS from one side to the other down the cross to contest the center. It is obvious that I'm a fan of crosses in my layouts... lol.

ikENeoC55xdEm.png

Initial Playable version in Reach Forge for sizing

With that mapped out I let it simmer for a few months... as you can see I had nothing in the side paths. I was at a lost so I took a break. Later on, I think around PAX, is when I picked it back up and I was forging in reach for a little bit. I decided to do a quick rough draft for sizing of it. It turned into a full blown map and I was able to get some damn good playtests on it. I got a lot of feedback and made a lot of changes to it. Below are some screenshots from the playable iteration on Reach. At this time the map was called Think Thrice, and I changed the name to Think Again thanks to Sven Nietzsche. With a planned description of "Third time's a charm."

From this version I learned that it needed some more size to be playable in H4. Especially after watching the released footage of Solace. Smexi Bilzo suggested I thicken the walls, many suggested to get rid of the teleporters (which I realized quickly... lol), and I wanted to add a little bit more to the sides.

Base View

Base is still relatively simple... now has the windows I had planned on adding. There were two exits in the bottom going towards the interior spaces. There were also drop downs off to the side of the windows. And the sides of the base open up to a corner where the walls are walkable and hence allows quick transition between the top and bottom of the base from the sides... also allows cover while fighting anyone sitting in the base.

ibz7xL7XG4Hjqn.jpg

Side View

The sides used to just be a straight shot from one side to the other... thanks to Warholic I added a little more variation to it. Dropped down a bit of cover as well on the top level. Leads straight to the center and can be jumped up to from the bottom on the outside with the walkable walls or crates on the inside. You can also drop down to the teleporter section on the side. There is also a window looking into the interior section. It can't be walked through, but can be fired through like the windows in the bases.

istDudMpHCr4k.jpg

Bottom Side View

This area is a bit claustrophobic, but after some feedback and tweaking it went from hitting your head when jumping to being very smooth for jumping. There are crates that you can use to jump up to the top level or you can use the walkable walls to get up as well. There is a path to the interiors between the base and center as well. And the bottom level drops into the teleporter room.

iLGliFOfllO7r.jpg

Teleporter View

These teleporters were sort of intended to play like Battle Creek... well because they are in the center of the map rather than the back of the bases, they received too much attention. Resulting in me scrapping them rather quickly. Even though people could drop down from the top and toss grenades, there was a little cubby below the walkable wall that allowed people to camp there. Bleh...

ibrmTCLZf6Dugb.jpg

Interior View

Again, this is intended as the main area of movement... to lighten the traffic the windows in the bases prevent traversal and just allow LOS. Also the center path in this shot goes all the way to the other base... the shortest route, but also the easiest to get caught in. It filters into the interior areas. There are also windows into the interior areas from the top of the side paths. You can leave the interior to the center path, bottom side center, bottom side, or the bases.

i1CDw6vu2wRNH.jpg

Center View

A bit different from the original mockup. The center platform was now lower and much wider, stretching from wall to wall. The walkable walls are only on the ends, and they allow people to jump up to the side from the bottom center, or up to the center from the bottom side. Also the ramps going into the center from the bases are going down and under rather than straight up to. This allowed for more flexibility in path choice... players can jump to the top center platform or quickly run through the bottom center.

ieo3O1XymtQsx.jpg

First Draft Plan for H4 in Sketchup/Unity

So after having spent several weeks with the map on Halo: Reach and tweaking things here and there I decided to start setting up a Sketchup to use as a reference while forging in Halo 4. I had already made new plans on many things that I wanted to do. I started by constructing simple models of the forge objects and just started building exactly what I had in Reach. As time went on I got more ideas and started playing with a couple of things. The main focus on this was to try to distinguish the two sides and try to account for lighting. I wanted lighting to not only separate the style of both sides, but to also point out key points on the map. There is now an open side and a closed side.

The lighting is pretty basic and straight on rather than naturally asymmetric so yeah... it may be hard to understand what is going on in these screenshots. The good news is that there is a web browser playable simulation of this version that you can try out as long as you download the Unity Webplayer plugin (it is safe and used by thousands of indie developers... trust me). You can check it out here:

Think Again H4 Version 1 Playable Demo

Base View

Here is Red Base... closed side is on the right and offscreen open side is on the left. The lighting is coming down towards the closed side at about a 50 degree angle. Down the center hall, because of the open ceiling, one of the sides is lit and the other side is unlit, helping players orient themselves right off spawn. Also the entrance hall to the base is slightly wider and the ramps are now 45 degrees towards the center rather than a full 90 degrees to the left or right... this makes the movement smoother and makes the choices more obvious. Also the walls on either side of the center hall are also thicker. Also has a vaulted ceiling

iwNUFnDKKMJFO.png

Closed Side Views

To the right of Red Base is closed side. Aptly named because it is closed to the outside. There is a ramp up to the right that brings you up to the center platform from the outside as an alternate and indirect route. The long sight lines wouldn't be as long as they would have some sort of LOS blocker down the sides. The center is also pretty bland. But the top level of it is also a power ordnance drop. The area is bland and I realize it. The geometry could be loads more interesting so it is definitely a goal for later. Also from the bottom center of closed side you can go up a walkable wall in order to get to the back side of the top center where the back ramps come up to it.

ieTgl7qlNTkqJ.png

ibd3tnYYB5BnrA.png

ibzVxIfoof3dQY.png

Open Side Views

So open side is a lot more interesting in this iteration and it is very distinct from closde side... but only on the outside. In the center of the outer open side is a man cannon that launches players up to the top of open side. There are outer ramps that go down to the outer platform and a small ramp down from the bottom center of the side. Thanks to the lighting the path is fully lit going all the way down to help distinguish it. Not to mention the outside platform is full blow lit and also full exposure to the environment.

ibhvccp3ueU7X0.png

iDmULUWOSqbDb.png

Interior View

The interior is relatively the same... there are still windows looking down on it from top closed/open side and from the base. The only real difference is that the ramp is now 45 degrees rather than 90 degrees... again for fluid transition and for foreshadowing paths when looking down the entrance hall. Interior is also quite dark.

iru0yiyg4d0zp.png

Center View

And finally the center... which hasn't changed much from the Reach version either. The big focus was on the sides. The only key point here is the long strip of light going down the center to guide eyes towards the side to side combat.

ihckOhn3nHnZF.png

Second Draft for H4 in Sketchup/Unity

So after setting up lighting and setting up a playable demo of the first planned version in H4 I posted it up for many people to check it out and give feedback. Luckily I had some hard critics over at RP which forced me to re-think how I was approaching the map. The biggest critique that while the map may or may not be fully balanced, there was no incentive to go anywhere. Basically there was almost no advantage to be anywhere, it is all just a constant move when threatened... which makes the combat uninteresting.

So I went back to the drawing board and started building it from scratch. What I decided was to make a sort of extreme height variation on one side, and a mid height on the opposite side. The open side became a sort of "cliff" setup where the highest point on the map was available, overlooking several areas, but below it was the lowest portion of the map where players could "sneak" below the high side if they so chose. The opposite side, which sits at the mid height of the map, is in a position to be able to pop shots on a decent amount of the high side, creating an interesting cross map scenario. If players sitting on the "cliff" are threatened by the opposite side they are pushed to be exposed from the other side and vice versa. The lift on the outer platform also lifts up to the "cliff" and is part of the extreme low section which allows people to take it without being spotted by those on the cliff.

Like the previous version I also put this into Unity to play with lighting. I took a slightly more open approach to lighting, opening up the ceiling over the bases and allowing for lighting to pour a little more onto closed side. The ceiling of the map was also raised to allow for more uses for Jetpack where it was once restricted. It isn't completely overpowered, but there is some flexibility available for them now. The ceiling also had an interesting effect on the lighting. And when you look at the map from a top down point of view the map is sort of offset towards open side so that close side is a slight faster route, but has less options and longer LOSs. Allows some differentiation for reasoning between paths.

Below is the link to the latest version of the map that is completely walk through-able... give it a shot and let me know what you think about the various LOSs from different locations to others... as LOS was a huge focus this time around... offering more interesting engagements. Also ignore the blue light... I messed something up on this release. lol...

Think Again H4 Version 2 Playable Demo

Base View

The base is still relatively the same structurally. It now has an open ceiling though and it is also wider than what it has been (the whole map is actually a bit wdier than it has been). Another change is that the windows are now little cubbies that you can go into... this allows you to go slightly "into" the interior area and allows you to see the other window (closed side still has an opening, but it is not longer a non-traversable window) from closed side or open side. On open side the window also gives you shots towards the new high point. Another interesting feature is that the closed side window allows you to see fully across to the other base's closed side window. While the open side window allows you to watch both the high point and the ramp going up towards the high point. And a bit of the center bridge right below the high point as well as the area below the high point.

ilzKoqZ8hOPhW.png

Closed Side Views

Closed Side feels a little more intricate now than it was. The bottom area has an elevated area where the walkable walls are and the paths up to the back of closed center. The ramps on the outside of the area are also much shorter and now at a 45 degree angle for fluidity. There are also pillars now and the height variation is a bit more drastic than it was in the past iteration which allows for more interesting encounters. There is also no window on closed side going to interior... it is fully open and includes access to a ledge that can lead to the center platform or give LOS into the base through closed side window. As before the top center of closed side will be a power ordnance and initial spawn.

ijHR4aJAuuizr.png

ibjfJHbFiU0AoC.png

iBLNefZ99TaxV.png

Open Side Views

As mentioned above, open side now resembles a "cliff" style to it. With a powerful high point, but a huge contrast between it and the low points that allows players to be heavily secure in the low points unless the enemies on high point are watching near the edge of it. The open side window looking into interior is also nicely covered from the high point, and it watches the ramp going up to high point from the center path. This is also the planned sniper initial spawn for both teams. This setup also allows for team side to team side sniping duels and allows the sniper to cover the high point power weapon spawn. There is a pillar that comes down from the high point that has "wings" on it that allow one to jump up to that open center bridge on open side.

Open side also includes walkable walls from the dance floor below high point up to the ramps coming from the center path up to high point. There is a ceiling over the high point so that players below can bounce grenades off of the ceiling to deter people from the high point. The man cannon on the open side balcony launches up to the high point. There is a power weapon spawn at the very tip of the exposed side of high point. I'm still iffy about the narrow bridge below high point so that may change.

ibvLoDNH5LWEk1.png

ibh3WG5tRNlp79.png

iAkRuRtXxdbrC.png

iblmnCkBgmVSCs.png

Interior Views

The two interior spaces are now different... closed side interior space no longer has a side window looking down on it. Instead it is now open with a ledge that allows people to get a shot into the basis or to serve as a quick transition to center platform. There is also a jump up to that ledge. The open side interior space now has an up ramp from center path going towards high point. Open side interior also has open access to the dance floor below high point as well as a path that runs below the up ramps that leads to another power weapon spawn (probably sword). There may also be a jump up later on in open side interior that allows you to jump up to the up ramp.

iVgXw5bbf7ONK.png

ix6akMpPuJkeV.png

Center Views

Center has changed quite a bit as now the only walkable walls are on closed side, allowing transition from bottom closed to top center or bottom center to top closed. On the open side of the center there are the ends of the up ramps going up to high point. There is also a "slot" below those ramps that allows you to drop from top center to below high point. Grenades can also be put through there to catch those going for Sword/power spawn. The ceiling is also a little more open to allow more light into the area.

ikv4QoSo4Kwje.png

ibmKg7OIQIE2zq.png

Plans for H4

Alright so I hope you guys enjoyed the current history of Think Again prior to full development of it. Not sure if it helps anyone or if anyone is interested, but I found it helpful for me to go over the whole process and reviewed how I came to certain decisions. The last version in this post is currently sitting at about low 4K budget, with some of the categories being over by 10-25 pieces, but I also barely have any decorative pieces so I have loads of room to replace objects with Brace, Larges to stay within limits.

My plan is to build Think Again on either Erosion or Ravine. If I can have the forgeworld object limitations work then I may go Erosion. Lighting is important too because I want a strong contrast and there may not be a bright enough area for that on Erosion. If I were to build on Ravine it would be near the water, against the cliff side. Open side balcony would look over the water with closed side being against the cliff face. If I build on Erosion the pipes will be great for detailing and will probably replace the pillars that I have on the current iteration to make the map feel more organic. I like the rust look, but if I can't find an area with drastic enough contrast between light and shadow then I may go with Ravine. I'm avoiding Impact because it will more than likely be the most used environment.

I'm looking for some heavy feedback... whatever concerns you may have then bring it up now. Don't sugar coat. I can take it. :p Compliments are welcome because it is nice to get some appreciation for lots of hard work. lol...

Again the playable demo can be found here:

Think Again H4 Version 1 Playable Demo
Think Again H4 Version 2 Playable Demo

nillapuddin

as someone who was not a particular fan of Think Twice
idk if you remember me being in there playtesting before you finalized the 1st reach version ;p

I like version 2 of the H4 plan the best, that seems like a much more fun and strategic play space.

And here's why, first, I want to rotate the "bases" 90 degrees, not the orientation of the maps, just the colored lights ;)

I love me some symmetrical maps, by all means.
But Halo is an Objective game, and IMO, nothing combines the best elements of Halo like 1-sided Obj.

Think Again 2, screams 1-flag map for me.
Small teams with plenty of spice thrown in, I know you are designing it to be team to team, but I think Id like to see it with more of an emphasis on going from back wall to balcony when played in Obj.

Think of it this way, the attacking team technically has the high ground, which is a fun concept for me to play with, and not often done.

The defenders have the advantage of the large dance floor in the OBJ area, making it easier to spot attackers, while the attackers can support their flag grabbing team mates.

Thoughts on Slayer? meh idk.
Id have to play it, but as I said before, slayer is the least interesting mode Halo has to offer, and I think its easier to accommodate for slayer after objective

*note every Halo 4 map walkthrough w/kynan pearson, he rants about objective placement and flow, then maybe mentions slayer*

I really like his mindset there, when I make original maps (and Halo 2 spoiled me this way) I always like to plan atleast 1 kick ass objective layout (flag, terr, koth, etc), and then work backwards from there

so those are my thoughts on Plan2
Im sure if you brought up specifics I can comment on them in more detail (this one ramp, etc)
but those are my general thoughts

I think Plan1 is so very different I cannot discuss it in the same "breath"
but If you want to continue this engagement Ill let ya know what I think

edit:
oh, yeah, me no likey 45 degree ramps, to many of them.
really turns me off

edit2: wow, my typing is sloppy as hell, im tired dude ;)

as someone who was not a particular fan of Think Twice
idk if you remember me being in there playtesting before you finalized the 1st reach version ;p

I like version 2 of the H4 plan the best, that seems like a much more fun and strategic play space.

And here's why, first, I want to rotate the "bases" 90 degrees, not the orientation of the maps, just the colored lights ;)

I love me some symmetrical maps, by all means.
But Halo is an Objective game, and IMO, nothing combines the best elements of Halo like 1-sided Obj.

Think Again 2, screams 1-flag map for me.
Small teams with plenty of spice thrown in, I know you are designing it to be team to team, but I think Id like to see it with more of an emphasis on going from back wall to balcony when played in Obj.

Think of it this way, the attacking team technically has the high ground, which is a fun concept for me to play with, and not often done.

The defenders have the advantage of the large dance floor in the OBJ area, making it easier to spot attackers, while the attackers can support their flag grabbing team mates.

Thoughts on Slayer? meh idk.
Id have to play it, but as I said before, slayer is the least interesting mode Halo has to offer, and I think its easier to accommodate for slayer after objective

*note every Halo 4 map walkthrough w/kynan pearson, he rants about objective placement and flow, then maybe mentions slayer*

I really like his mindset there, when I make original maps (and Halo 2 spoiled me this way) I always like to plan atleast 1 kick ass objective layout (flag, terr, koth, etc), and then work backwards from there

so those are my thoughts on Plan2
Im sure if you brought up specifics I can comment on them in more detail (this one ramp, etc)
but those are my general thoughts

I think Plan1 is so very different I cannot discuss it in the same "breath"
but If you want to continue this engagement Ill let ya know what I think

edit:
oh, yeah, me no likey 45 degree ramps, to many of them.
really turns me off

I can definitely see what you are talking about with the 1-sided objective. If it was part of H4 then I would probably try that, but alas it isn't as far as we know. Sounds like it would be a blast... lol.

And I build my maps to play for CTF first while still providing flow for slayer. That is the main reason with the long line of sights from base to base... forcing flag runners to shift paths in order to safely make it back to their base. I think this map will work nicely for the new CTF because the walkable walls provide flexible path transitioning and allows flag runners to still survive and fight back even if they are cut off. That is what I'm hoping at least.

As for plan 1... it isn't plan 1 vs plan 2. It was version 1 and then version 2... version 1 is no more as it was just a step towards version 2.

Also for the 45 degree ramps, are you talking about the walkable walls? Or are you talking about the paths splitting at 45 degrees at various paths as a fork? If you are referring to the former then I would argue that they are in no way required to be taken. They are there as a supplement and an option. They have their own advantages and provide a continuous transition from the bottom to the top rather than a ramp choke point. Fluid transition between levels is the goal of this design. I want to try to encourage vertical dancing rather than just lateral pillar dancing. If it is the second one then I would argue that angled path forking is a beauty for map flow as maps filled with 90 degree corners feel ridged and "clunky" in a sense... the 454 degree forks have definitely improved the smoothness of path switching.

nillapuddin

I can definitely see what you are talking about with the 1-sided objective. If it was part of H4 then I would probably try that, but alas it isn't as far as we know. Sounds like it would be a blast... lol.

I refuse to believe such blasphemy, 1-Flag is in, and it always will be in
my heart

And I build my maps to play for CTF first while still providing flow for slayer. That is the main reason with the long line of sights from base to base... forcing flag runners to shift paths in order to safely make it back to their base. I think this map will work nicely for the new CTF because the walkable walls provide flexible path transitioning and allows flag runners to still survive and fight back even if they are cut off. That is what I'm hoping at least.

H4 flag will be super interesting because of the flagnum and default movement speed for sure

As for plan 1... it isn't plan 1 vs plan 2. It was version 1 and then version 2... version 1 is no more as it was just a step towards version 2.

gotcha, I like it, I think it will be a better overall map, instead of a showcase in symmertricity (totally a word)

Also for the 45 degree ramps

meant the ones beneath the back wall base area, I guess those could be considered climbable walls, but I was under the impression they were overly aggressive ramps

I know you like having those walls everywhere, Im okay with that.
Just sometimes I see them as ramps, inbd.

I think the flow is nice, it wasnt a knock on that

*have you considered at all the increased jump height for Halo 4? jw*

FyreWulff

I am fairly certain that the reason is related to using Havoc as the physics engine. If I remember correctly the engine doesn't handle dynamically sized collision meshes very well. I don't know the details, but I remember hearing it somewhere. Perhaps Fyrewulff can explain it better. He is the techy one..

Jonnyothan mentioned it when he answered my questions. It is indeed related to Havok:

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive37.pl?read=1101488

jonnyothan said:
Any object can be scaled but physics models are never scaled (this is a limitation of Havok and also why you can't scale objects in Forge) - so it's not smart to do it on anything other than a certain small set of objects.

Just saying, it looks like the water on Erosion casts a greenish-blue glow on forge pieces, so it make be a cool area to build if it meets your needs. At least thats what I thought I saw in a video of a lockout remake built in that area.

Makes sense that objects can't be scaled for that reason, but goddamn if it doesn't make you wish they'd just run a batch on stuff and give us everything with a double-size variant or something :p

Jonnyothan mentioned it when he answered my questions. It is indeed related to Havok:

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive37.pl?read=1101488

Hire a fancy graphics programmer. Extend Havok to allow a transformation like:
Code:
void CollisionMesh::scale(const Matrix& scaleMatrix);

Problem solved. :)

I wish :p

Edit: Did a little bit of reading and apparently Havok uses a technology called MOPP, (Memory Optimized Partial Polytope) to compress it's meshes to save RAM. Perhaps a down-side of this is that it cannot be transformed, and reverse engineering it is either (a) too difficult or (b) infeasible due to memory constraints.

Raide

Just watching a Halo4 stream and he played a bit in Forge and afterwards, he actually gained XP for Basic Editing. Anyone else find that weird? :D

Hire a fancy graphics programmer. Extend Havok to allow a transformation like:
Code:
void CollisionMesh::scale(const Matrix& scaleMatrix);

Problem solved. :)

I wish :p

Edit: Did a little bit of reading and apparently Havok uses a technology called MOPP, (Memory Optimized Partial Polytope) to compress it's meshes to save RAM. Perhaps a down-side of this is that it cannot be transformed, and reverse engineering it is either (a) too difficult or (b) infeasible due to memory constraints.

Ya - that damn RAM issue rears its head again. The uncompression, transformation, recompression (potentially on the fly, or separately for different volumes/spaces) is also more processing :(

Just saying, it looks like the water on Erosion casts a greenish-blue glow on forge pieces, so it make be a cool area to build if it meets your needs. At least thats what I thought I saw in a video of a lockout remake built in that area.

If that is true, would be interesting... I'm slowly swaying closer to Ravine. I don't want to hit Impact cuz of the obvious expected overusage, Erosion looks to be second over used because of the palette, and Ravine is similar to Forgeworld in terms of terrain and style. But if you don't use the terrain then there is definitely a chance for it to feel different than Forgeworld.

I refuse to believe such blasphemy, 1-Flag is in, and it always will be in
my heart

H4 flag will be super interesting because of the flagnum and default movement speed for sure

gotcha, I like it, I think it will be a better overall map, instead of a showcase in symmertricity (totally a word)

meant the ones beneath the back wall base area, I guess those could be considered climbable walls, but I was under the impression they were overly aggressive ramps

I know you like having those walls everywhere, Im okay with that.
Just sometimes I see them as ramps, inbd.

I think the flow is nice, it wasnt a knock on that

*have you considered at all the increased jump height for Halo 4? jw*

The ramps against the back wall of the base area are regular Ramp, XLs... the corners of the bases however could technically be Ramp, Steeps, but instead I'm using them as walkable walls. Again the walkable wall concept isn't required like it is in Think Twice, it is just used as an additional option for players if they so choose to use it. It opens up options of traversal between levels.

I have considered the jump height for Halo 4. Right now it is several units higher than it was in Reach. I'll be compensating for the jump height once I figure out how it compares to Forge units. In Halo Reach you can have a ceiling at 1.3 without bumping your head... I currently have the height set to 1.5 from the ground. Also the height of spartans may have changed. In HR I had the height between platform/walkable wall as 0.9, in these versions they are 1.0... just in case spartans got taller. lol... Here's hoping my assumptions are at least pseudo close.

Ya - that damn RAM issue rears its head again. The uncompression, transformation, recompression (potentially on the fly, or separately for different volumes/spaces) is also more processing :(

I'm wondering if they can just pre-load the collision meshes in various sizes for each piece... in scale increments. Like 1/4x, 1/2x, 1x, 2x, 4x. Would be nice.

I'm wondering if they can just pre-load the collision meshes in various sizes for each piece... in scale increments. Like 1/4x, 1/2x, 1x, 2x, 4x. Would be nice.

Would be a huge RAM hit. Meshes require heaps of memory. (12 * number of vertexes) bytes I think. Would be be better to have 3/4 the amount of objects with pre-set scalability? Perhaps.

Really? I spent hours in Reach Forge and never noticed I got XP. It came up with the usual bar showing but I never saw actual points.

Unless I am mistaking something.

You do. The only problem is it doesn't scale to the time you've been playing with it much ;)

So it's best to forge for 20 minutes, bail out, come back in, leave in 20 minutes, etc.... if you want to max your cR for Forging, anyway.

Raide

You do. The only problem is it doesn't scale to the time you've been playing with it much ;)

So it's best to forge for 20 minutes, bail out, come back in, leave in 20 minutes, etc.... if you want to max your cR for Forging, anyway.

Haha! Thats what I get for spending hours at a time making stuff. :p

I know they can't do terrain editing, but it would have been idea to expand the "Natural" options in forge to include hills, bumps, different shapes that have the same Forge texture as the map floor you may be editing on, which would allow you to create your own geometry within Forge's basic parameters.

I always wanted more trees, rocks, grass etc to mess around with.

My friend Bart and I are going to recreate our Barts Manor map from Halo 3/Reach for Flood mode, just for laughs.

Also - Godly, you might want to update the OP with a link to Ghal's OT. :)

4 days chaps. Then we can begin creating stuff that will be hated by many, loved by few, and general cause us to waste many, many hours of our lives. I look forward to it. :)

I know they can't do terrain editing, but it would have been idea to expand the "Natural" options in forge to include hills, bumps, different shapes that have the same Forge texture as the map floor you may be editing on, which would allow you to create your own geometry within Forge's basic parameters.

I always wanted more trees, rocks, grass etc to mess around with.

My friend Bart and I are going to recreate our Barts Manor map from Halo 3/Reach for Flood mode, just for laughs.

Also - Godly, you might want to update the OP with a link to Ghal's OT. :)

4 days chaps. Then we can begin creating stuff that will be hated by many, loved by few, and general cause us to waste many, many hours of our lives. I look forward to it. :)

lol... oops. Updated. ;)

Also I completely agree with the natural stuff. It was one of my features that I would love to see added one day. Best of luck with Bart's Manor... looking forward to playing some Flood on it. :)

People have lives outside of Forge, Friends, and Family? lol...

Can't wait to remake Block Fort, and a few Metroid Prime: Hunters maps to go with Hunter Slayer (gametype I'll tinker with at launch).

Raide

Will be fun to jump back into Forge again.

Not sure if I will remake any of my old maps, since I did not really make any that were great. :D Will head back for Q3DM17 if we have enough Man-cannons, plus I will try again to remake Temple from GoldenEye. I was pretty close last time, just the blocking out was hard as hell.

Overdoziz

Banned
I was planning a remaking a CTF map I made in Reach but with the category object limit still in place I think I will end up just making a reimagination.

Raide

I was planning a remaking a CTF map I made in Reach but with the category object limit still in place I think I will end up just making a reimagination.

Yeah, that is annoying. I was hoping we could have a choice of getting rid off useless items we don't use in order to free up more objects. I hardly ever put in vehicles etc, so it would be nice to cash them in. :D

Didn't mess around with Forge much in Reach, but made a few maps for the Zombie variant in Halo 3.

Really looking forward to helping you guys play test maps since I probably won't Forge much in 4.

Overdoziz

Banned
What do you run out of? Blocks or inclines? (or walls?)
Blocks usually because they're the most versatile. I really can't think of a single reason why the category object limit is still there and 343 and Certain Affinity have never talked about which makes it even more frustrating.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I know it would be completely broken because of the Jet Pack AA but I would love to see someone forge Construct, love that map for competitive play.

Easy call outs and lots of back and forth play.

Retro

Just put a big instant kill zone up there ;) That'll teach them jetpackers

Didn't they say something early on about them merging gametypes into maps so that there's just one complete 'package'? Couldn't you theoretically set it up so all of the gametypes prevent Jetpack use?

Or was that just me dreaming of the old days when you didn't have to worry about douchebag rocketeers ruining your carefully built map?

Didn't they say something early on about them merging gametypes into maps so that there's just one complete 'package'? Couldn't you theoretically set it up so all of the gametypes prevent Jetpack use?

Or was that just me dreaming of the old days when you didn't have to worry about douchebag rocketeers ruining your carefully built map?

For some reason that sounds familiar, yeah. I hope that's actually the case.

MrBig

You're thinking of Player Trait Zones, which you can use to apply settings to players in a defined volume, using the same settings that are found in the player trait section of gametypes. Gametypes themselves are not packaged with maps.

Retro

You're thinking of Player Trait Zones, which you can use to apply settings to players in a defined volume, using the same settings that are found in the player trait section of gametypes. Gametypes themselves are not packaged with maps.

Boo. Because ForgeGAF would pretty much put an end to jetpackers internally if that were possible.

Jetpack is only fun for goofy mini-game maps, otherwise it completely ruins mapmaking.

They didn't add an invisible ceiling object, did they?

MrBig

Boo. Because ForgeGAF would pretty much put an end to jetpackers internally if that were possible.

Jetpack is only fun for goofy mini-game maps, otherwise it completely ruins mapmaking.

The way they implemented the jetpack into H4 is fine. It's more a simple jumpjet than the super powerful thing in Reach that allowed you to get anywhere on a map.

GavinGT

Banned
I just checked and there's actually no way to disable certain armor abilities. It's either all or none.

I guess this makes sense though, because it would break certain players' loadouts to allow the host to pick and choose which ones are allowed.

demolitio

I'd love to help out in any way possible so please add "DemoUSAF" on Live. I used to mod a lot on PC and want to really check out Forge this time even with its limitations. We had a lot of good flowing maps in our mods and I'd like to figure out what works best in Halo 4.

Also, add me just to play MP too because I need some buddies after being AWOL on Live for so long after surgery to where everyone removed me, lol.

MrBig

I just checked and there's actually no way to disable certain armor abilities. It's either all or none.

I guess this makes sense though, because it would break certain players' loadouts to allow the host to pick and choose which ones are allowed.

Disabling use of custom loadouts and defining explicit loadouts for a gametype is possible, eg Slayer Pro.

Retro

The way they implemented the jetpack into H4 is fine. It's more a simple jumpjet than the super powerful thing in Reach that allowed you to get anywhere on a map.

That's slightly better news at least, but it still means we need to add a layer of 'Jetpack proofing' to the already long list of not-fun things needed to get a map up and running.

Overdoziz

Banned
You should check the MLG stream right now, people seriously flying all over the place Halo Reach style. Only difference seems that you can't hover anymore, but you can definitely still fly up very high if you jumpboost. Really wish they would allow us to place invisible barriers or something.

MrBig

You should check the MLG stream right now, people seriously flying all over the place Halo Reach style. Only difference seems that you can't hover anymore, but you can definitely still fly up very high if you jumpboost. Really wish they would allow us to place invisible barriers or something.

That's unfortunate. All the gameplay I've seen so far showed barely any vertical lift.

Top Bottom