• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

Overdoziz

Banned
Player trait zones are pretty cool for minigames. No longer you have to use those damn custom power-ups that wear off after 90 seconds.

So I've got Think Again to a playtestable state. I rebuilt the one that I made at 343 so it is much cleaner than the one on my fileshare. Just gotta setup for ordnance, kill zones, and gametypes and it is pretty much good. I did some mockup games yesterday and they turned out great. :) Would post screenshots if I could. lol... anyone want to partake in some customs this weekend? My GT is GodlyPerfection.

FyreWulff

I've got the base version with primordial spawns of my practice map / Area 52 remake from Perfect Dark up in my Fileshare, named Area 53. Unlike my Reach version, it's not 1:1. 95% of the map is there, but

- the "hill" room was simplified to connected tube pieces to accomodate the Halo 4 movement and keep budget down

- the "courtyard" area (the area I walk into about 1:25 with the rock spires) is now depicted as a bunch of floating space station pieces with low gravity. This is to keep people from just hanging back in the courtyard and sniping, and because I wanted to mess around with having a low grav area.

Overdoziz

Banned
So I'm trying to phase objects into the ground on Ravine and they just keep bouncing back out.
What the fuck, Certain Affinity.

Edit: My lord, I just flipped a bridge piece upside down and apparently that side now has an indent in the middle so it doesn't align with any other flat pieces.

...sigh...

By the way everyone, I'm not planning on running ForgeGAF customs this Sunday because it's the first weekend of the game being out, and I want to make sure everyone has ample time before the first round of testing. Also, I won't be around on that day anyway :p It's my first year anniversary with my wife.

If anybody else wants to host this Sunday, feel free -- otherwise we'll begin next Sunday at the normal time. Thanks!

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Questions, what are all the required elements needed to create a map for CTF?

I must be missing something but a map I created on Impact is simply telling me that the gametype is not compatible with the map variant I have made.

Overdoziz

Banned
So the Wall, Coliseum piece is ~9.8 units long.

I'm not sure if I want to bother forging anything, every time I look at a new object Certain Affinity has made it worse in some way or another. There's tiny gaps and indents everywhere, the size of some objects make it so they don't fit well with any of the other objects and I'm not a big fan of most of the textures at all. They somehow made it more frustrating to Forge in Halo 4 than it was in Reach.

Raide

So the Wall, coliseum piece is ~9.8 units long.

I'm not sure if I want to bother forging anything, every time I look at a new object Certain Affinity has made it worse in some way or another. There's tiny gaps and indents everywhere, the size of some objects make it so they don't fit well with any of the other objects and I'm not a big fan of most of the textures at all. They somehow made it more frustrating to Forge in Halo 4 than it was in Reach.

I am in the same boat. Really finding it hard to motivate myself to build new maps when so many of the items have been made worse than the Reach versions. Sure they added shadows and magnets but now the building blocks used in Forge are borked.

Insaniac

So I'm trying to phase objects into the ground on Ravine and they just keep bouncing back out.
What the fuck, Certain Affinity.

if you let go of the piece and regrab it so your reticule doesn't go too low into the ground it should work. However I have had issues with coliseum walls disappearing when I phased them too far into the roof, but still "existing", ie blocking paths etc

Havok

So the Wall, Coliseum piece is ~9.8 units long.

Yup. I built out a prototype the other night, slapped it on my File Share, and decided it wasn't worth the maddening frustration that the tools bring to keep going on it. This is after building six separate, fully-realized (if not necessarily good) Forge maps in Reach.

Some of it's just kind of baffling. Why remove precision controls when they were a vital tool? Why do magnets leave a giant gap between pieces (try it yourself, connect a Bridge to a Ramp Bridge) that weapons can be fired through and grenades can fall through? Why did half of my map shift position when I saved it and quit despite using coordinates for nearly the entire thing? Why are there still only 4 objects in the Natural category?! There was a pretty clear path forward that CA could have followed (keep precision while adding magnets, make objects have World Unit sizes that make sense, give people a damn flat area to make something, get rid of the object category limits, improve performance, just to name a few) and made Forge a truly great feature, but instead they regressed in some key areas to the point where I don't think I can see myself using this for anything serious.

Raide

Yup. I built out a prototype the other night, slapped it on my File Share, and decided it wasn't worth the maddening frustration that the tools bring to keep going on it. This is after building six separate, fully-realized (if not necessarily good) Forge maps in Reach.

Some of it's just kind of baffling. Why remove precision controls when they were a vital tool? Why do magnets leave a giant gap between pieces (try it yourself, connect a Bridge to a Ramp Bridge) that weapons can be fired through and grenades can fall through? Why did half of my map shift position when I saved it and quit despite using coordinates for nearly the entire thing? Why are there still only 4 objects in the Natural category?! There was a pretty clear path forward that CA could have followed (keep precision while adding magnets, make objects have World Unit sizes that make sense, give people a damn flat area to make something, get rid of the object category limits, improve performance, just to name a few) and made Forge a truly great feature, but instead they regressed in some key areas to the point where I don't think I can see myself using this for anything serious.

Sad to hear. I keep wondering about CA and how they made some of the Forge choices. Either we get a TU for Forge that addresses the main issues, or Forge is pretty much dead until Halo 5 rolls around and we hope they give us a fully features version.

Retro

Sad to hear. I keep wondering about CA and how they made some of the Forge choices. Either we get a TU for Forge that addresses the main issues, or Forge is pretty much dead until Halo 5 rolls around and we hope they give us a fully features version.

Given that the story has now descended into "LOL, read the books" territory, the multiplayer feels too fast and flaky and Forge is a complete mess... I don't even think I'll bother with Halo 5, especially if it requires a new console purchase.

I haven't gone back to tinker with my "Subpump" map. I think I'm too afraid my carefully placed objects will be all fucked up.

I get that everyone is frustrated, but what we lost is worth what we have gained. Sure it is frustrating, but most of it has work arounds. Objects rotating, z-fighting, etc. Most of it has a work around that works fine. It just takes a bit more patience than before. As someone who has been forging since pre-foundry, what we have gotten is far greater than what we have lost.

Also Think Again is now in public beta and now in my fileshare. :) I'll be testing it for several weeks to make it as best as it can be. It was totally worth the minor frustrations.

Apparently you can set Dominion turrets for the infection gametype, I can see some crazy infection gametypes happening.

Hehehe... this sounds awesome. Do they actually animate and work?

J10

Banned
I get that everyone is frustrated, but what we lost is worth what we have gained.

I think it's more like what we've lost negates what we've gained. Seems like for everything they fixed or improved they fucked something else up that was already working well. I spent more time in Forge than any other game mode in Reach. I can already tell that that won't be the case here, not by a long shot. And since Forge is third down the list after campaign, multiplayer and Spartan Ops, I'm going to assume the issues highlighted in this thread probably won't get the post-launch attention they deserve, if any of it can even be addressed to begin with.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So what is the general consensus on the quality of Halo 4's Forge? I want to try to make a map, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it easy to use? From what I've read, it's worse than Reach's lol.

matellis

Neo Member
So I decided to dive into forge last night and today and came up with this map. At the moment it is only set up for big team slayer with jetpacks, but I plan to add some other modes once I get some feedback on what to change and improve. I wouldn't mind doing some testing with whoever wants to (with this map or any other). My gamer tag is matellis82.

I couldn't find anywhere on the waypoint website for my file share but if you look up matellis82 there you should see the map. It's called Cargo_Bridge(WIP).

I look forward to your feedback guys!

cargobridgeimage01.jpg

Kibbles

Are there any other forging communities around? I can't find crap for Halo 4 stuff on Forgehub. Also is the ingame screenshot function not working? All I see are off-screen pics.

J10

Banned
So bridge pieces are now 2 units wide excluding the railings, so in total they're 2.4 units wide.

;_;

This actually kinda helps in a specific situation: when connecting bridges to a 2x2 block. In Reach if you connected two bridges to adjacent sides of a 2x2 block you'd have a gap at the vertex where the bridge rails met (I'd usually tend to fill in that gap with a column). The new bridges would save some budget this way because the bridge rails now overlap in this scenario (but with z-fighting -_-).

FyreWulff

I have a beta version of my first 'serious' sym map, Trimach, in my file share. The base geometry is done, but I've yet to populate the map with scenery/clutter to control sightlines.

Check it out if you want.

Godly your map is AMAZING!

I really hope this isn't sarcasm... lol. Cuz I've heard too much sarcasm in my time with forge. :) If it isn't then thank you. Perhaps all those months of pre-production work paid off. Have you played any customs on it yet? I would love to get some solid feedback on things you think could make it better. Easier jumps, new jumps, weapon/ordnance locations, texturing, spawns, etc. Whatever you can think of. The current version is already a result of lots of feedback so I'm hoping to get loads more over the next few weeks to make it as good as I can for the community to enjoy, not just myself.

I'm going to try to get a video of it up tomorrow talking about some of the finer details of the map and some things I focused on during development. Been a long while since I booted up my capture card.

Just a heads up for those that don't know... to do decent videos you need to record them in a custom game. Theater does not render lighting for forge maps in films. :(

Also I still need to test splitscreen performance, but fullscreen performance is gorgeous despite taking full advantage of the budget. :) Totally hoping that splitscreen holds up nicely.

I have a beta version of my first 'serious' sym map, Trimach, in my file share. The base geometry is done, but I've yet to populate the map with scenery/clutter to control sightlines.

Check it out if you want.

Away to Fyrewulff's fileshare. :)

So I decided to dive into forge last night and today and came up with this map. At the moment it is only set up for big team slayer with jetpacks, but I plan to add some other modes once I get some feedback on what to change and improve. I wouldn't mind doing some testing with whoever wants to (with this map or any other). My gamer tag is matellis82.

I couldn't find anywhere on the waypoint website for my file share but if you look up matellis82 there you should see the map. It's called Cargo_Bridge(WIP).

I look forward to your feedback guys!

Just got your friend request bro. :) Looking forward to playing your map.

Also anyone who sends me a FR from here, please say you are from ForgeGAF or something... I typically have to decline a lot of random requests.

Does anyone know how to not switch Defenders/Attackers every round? I want to do a 10 round game, but I want red to spawn in red side every time, and blue to spawn in blue side every time. They switch every round which messes it up.

I really like forge (minus the not being able to phase into the ground on ravine glitch, and the glitch of stuff moving when you reload a map) so far. I'll be posting some fun custom game maps that I have created soon!

343 need to do Forge in Halo 5. Not Certain Affinity. The bugs in Halo 4 forge are as if the mode hasn't even been tested. The maps aren't nearly as useful as Forge World, and the restrictions like fixed kill boundaries are ridiculous. Even the height barrier on Impact is insanely low. CA have never seemed to like forgers, look at the Halo Anniversary map pack. Maps like High Noon could have been great Forge canvases, but they were horribly restricted due to lack of space and non-removable objects, such as a giant hologram that takes up half of the map.

Magnets would have been useful if they were on vertexes rather than the center of edges. I already see them as a hindrance. Now for some reason we can't zoom in, and the left stick no longer slows object movement speed, the ultimate anti-axis-fighting tool.

Overdoziz

Banned
I hope we can access recent screenshots soon so I can start my post about Halo 4's Forge pieces. I've got some stuff to say!

FyreWulff

Does anyone know how to not switch Defenders/Attackers every round? I want to do a 10 round game, but I want red to spawn in red side every time, and blue to spawn in blue side every time. They switch every round which messes it up.

I really like forge (minus the not being able to phase into the ground on ravine glitch, and the glitch of stuff moving when you reload a map) so far. I'll be posting some fun custom game maps that I have created soon!

Round based gametypes always switches sides, unfortunately.

Loginius

So I tried forge today and realized that when I save, end and then restart the map all the pices I placed get shifted around a little.

Is there a way to prevent this?
I read something about using coordinates to determine the position of the pice and tried it but that only seems to work half of the time and is quite time consuming.

Are there no other known workarounds for this?

Also magnets seem to be useless as they do not really allign pices in a perfect match or am I doing something wrong?

Mik2121

Am I missing something or there's still no mirror / symmetry tool in Forge yet? Trying to make symmetrical levels in this thing is almost impossible :(

OK, so I'm totally new to forge. How exactly can I download people's maps in Halo 4? Sorry for the noob question but I wanted to give "Think Again" a whirl.

Thanks for any advice!

Raide

Am I missing something or there's still no mirror / symmetry tool in Forge yet? Trying to make symmetrical levels in this thing is almost impossible :(

Only real way it to get the Grid down and plan everything like that. They do not have a mirror option, as well as plenty of other things they did not add.

I am slowly learning to mix Magnet usage and non-magnet usage for the best way to build levels. Also using objects to cast shadows to make things look a bit more varied.

Still not happy with what CA have done to Forge. The shadows are a nice addition but it feels a little half-hearted. No real thought for Forgers, both in terms of options and tools. I am already pretty bored of the levels we were offered, so I hope they address this soon and throw in some variety.

J10

Banned
OK, so I'm totally new to forge. How exactly can I download people's maps in Halo 4? Sorry for the noob question but I wanted to give "Think Again" a whirl.

Thanks for any advice!

Start Menu>Settings & Files>File Browser>Map Variants>File Share Search

FyreWulff

Also, the space station pieces floors are actually fulled modeled re:physics, so that little glass window on the bottom actually makes you 'pop' when you walk over it.

Karl2177

The outsides of the Impact objects aren't flat. Good luck making a map that uses all of the potential space on your geometry.

RIP Landing Pad. You were only possible in Halo 3's Forge.

Zoolader

So I spent all night and morning kicking off my first forge map for H4. I'm actually really liking how things are coming along. The whole design for the map I'm doing is a lot more simple compared to it's Reach's predecessor, meanwhile it still looks very good aesthetically. My only complaint so far is that it was a pain in the ass to create a flat playing field like the cliff side in forge world, and it isn't nearly as pretty. Grey moon rock and forge walls as floors aren't as nice to look at as lush green grass and popping purple flowers. Hopefully I'll have enough to show you all soon, I'd like to begin getting feedback before the map is done.

Mik2121

I started a new level (a remake) based on a level (which was already a remake) that I did in Halo Reach. The original level is Quake 3's Longest Yard. My level...

The Floating Yard ( < Youtube Video)

Anyway, it's still a work in progress. I have to finish the back of the main area and also add the covers for that whole area. The small floating part is pretty much done, for now.

Thanks for any advice!

Start Menu>Settings & Files>File Browser>Map Variants>File Share Search

What he said... my GT is the same as my username: GodlyPerfection. Any feedback from playtesting people do... please give it. Be as harsh as possible and please don't sugar coat. A map can't get better unless there is something pointed out as wrong with it. :)

Top Bottom