• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I stopped playing Halo after Halo 2. Was Halo 3 (or ODST, or Reach), worth playing? Specifically, for their campaigns that is... Worth buying a 360 for??

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How are they pulling these graphics off? Did Microsoft accidentally discover an extra GPU?
Corrine Yu talked about it quite some time back that most developers were not using the 360's full potential and that there was still more to squeeze out.

S1kkZ

How are they pulling these graphics off? Did Microsoft accidentally discover an extra GPU?

we havent seen the game running yet (single player). maybe there are some trade-offs to make the graphics work (shitty framerate, tearing, pop-in, small levels and so on). the screens look great but they only show the chief, almost nothing else.

Izick

I stopped playing Halo after Halo 2. Was Halo 3 (or ODST, or Reach), worth playing? Specifically, for their campaigns that is... Worth buying a 360 for??

Worth playing? I would say 3 and Reach were. Were either better than CE overall, or worth purchasing a 360 for? Not really, in my opinion.

we havent seen the game running yet (single player). maybe there are some trade-offs to make the graphics work (shitty framerate, tearing, pop-in, small levels and so on). the screens look great but they only show the chief, almost nothing else.

Yeah, but the MP looks amazing, and it seems somewhat comparable to those shots. Look like it ran fine as well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

without a covenant invasion, they have been able to massively scale back the encounter sizes.

i have no idea and am making shit up

3 and ODST were brilliant, the latter has my favorite campaign in the series (and many other people's). As to whether they are worth buying a 360 for, that's up to you. The 360 has a number of really good exclusives for by.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

ODST has a great single player, and amazing music. I also loved Reach's campaign. 3 was decent. If you like some Halo play through them all.

ODST has a great single player, and amazing music. I also loved Reach's campaign. 3 was decent. If you like some Halo play through them all.
Yep. And its definitely worth it if you plan on playing co-op. I'd recommend Halo: CE anniversary as well.

Go through all of them on legendary co-op runs.

H4.png

And to show how far we've come:

5d760439.jpg

Seep

Best reason ever.

I recall one of the devs stating they actually took 2 days off to go back and play Halo 1 again not forgetting to mention there is a Metroid(Retro Studios) dev also on the team. Personally, I expect good things.

Also some people wanted the H4 Logo:

iNzUzkbDf4L3X.gif

They said Reach was going to be old school. It wasn't. They'll tell people what they want to hear just so you'll buy it, I'll wait for impressions this time.

h4longervbu7e.gif

I still hope they have a better explanation for his armor than just nanomachines.

Hm.... reminds me a lot of the spartans running down the hallway in Halo Legends: The Package.

Everything Halo 4 reminds of the package, down to the shape of the Chief's helmet.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They said Reach was going to be old school. It wasn't. They'll tell people what they want to hear just so you'll buy it, I'll wait for impressions this time.
Well... I'm not disagreeing with you but: Reach was by Bungie.

Halo 4 is made by 200+ people at 343 with various developer backgrounds and years and years of experience.

SonnyBoy

I like that it's taking on a darker tone. Halo has been too "kiddy" for me. I read a handful of the novels and they were very dark and mature. Going back to the games was difficult after reading them.

MrBig

Looks damn good.

Some things I noticed, as most people have already posted the positives.

LMdCI.jpg

I know everyone wanted the return of this blight.

ohrAk.jpg

I honestly don't know what to say here. The polycount and detail just isn't there.

Overall it is really great and a step up from Reach, but the 360 is just so old it can't push the kind of detail I want to see out of the game, and that would make it look so much better than its predecessors.

Glassboy

I don't know why people are going nuts over this. Granted it is still early, but I haven't seen anything that looks amazing. Graphically it looks pretty close to Reach. I'm happy about the decision to build up the maps specifically for multiplayer. Reach had the worse maps of the series.

I don't know why people are going nuts over this. Granted it is still early, but I haven't seen anything that looks amazing. Graphically it looks pretty close to Reach. I'm happy about the decision to build up the maps specifically for multiplayer. Reach had the worse maps of the series.

I don't know what video you were watching, but the one I saw blows Reach away. H4 is also confirmed as being native 720p and having AA, when Reach was sub-HD.

Aside from graphically, most of us are fangasming over the awesome music/sound effects, the enhanced speed, combat improvements (bye bye health-bar, BLOOM etc) and the return of dat Battle Rifle.

Looks damn good.

LMdCI.jpg

I know everyone wanted the return of this blight.

ohrAk.jpg

I honestly don't know what to say here. The polycount and detail just isn't there.

Overall it is really great and a step up from Reach, but the 360 is just so old it can't push the kind of detail I want to see out of the game, and that would make it look so much better than its predecessors.

Pre-alpha build. Polish is what you will see near the end of devlopment. And it'll be incredible from here on out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looks damn good.

ohrAk.jpg

while that hallway isnt terrific looking, surely you have seen the rest of that map? its incredibly detailed, considerably more then condemned, from reach, which i thought looked quite detailed in its own right. the DOF isnt helping either. chalk it up to a bad shot.

All the gifs shows graphics that Reach is no where capable of doing.

God rays, depth of field, color HDR, etc, etc.

And this is all pre-alpha.

Aside from graphically, most of us are fangasming over the awesome music/sound effects, the enhanced speed, combat improvements (bye bye health-bar, BLOOM etc) and the return of dat Battle Rifle.
And some of that may feel small but it can amount to a huge difference in the feel of the game.

For instance, just the audio changes alone in Forza 4 make it a much better game than Forza 3.

SonnyBoy

Funny how everyone has a boner over the direction of this game but if were to say the previous games weren't "dark" or "mature", you'd get bombarded by the defense force. lol

szaromir

Banned
Well... I'm not disagreeing with you but: Reach was by Bungie.

Halo 4 is made by 200+ people at 343 with various developer backgrounds and years and years of experience.

So, Reach was by the best studio on the planet. H4 is by a new studio. How can that be reassuring? :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
All the gifs shows graphics that Reach is no where capable of doing.

God rays, depth of field, color HDR, etc, etc.

And this is all pre-alpha.

though i will have to look into the god rays thing... (i'm sure it was in it... they had them in Halo 1 :p) but it's more of a style choice more than anything now

Reach did have DOF (hell, just watch the first cutscene, i remember the DOF focus changing when Kat sticks her arm in front of noble 6)

and I'm fairly sure Reach has HDR as it was in Halo 3, I just can't remember specific instances of it as I haven't played the game in a long while.

Top Bottom