• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it looks completely different, but it definitely seems darker and shinier than Chief's armor. That could just be an illusion caused by the lighting, though.

I don't think it looks completely different, but it definitely seems darker and shinier than Chief's armor. That could just be an illusion caused by the lighting, though.

Yes, but look how the back of the helmet has the under-suit showing rather than being a full helmet. Plus there is no shoulder protrusion like the new chief has. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it looks not at all the same to me.

I don't see why you guys think this music is so great??? The sound effects, graphics, and art design of Halo 4 is top notch. The music, well lets just say that they are no Marty O'donell.

Falagard

are you looking at hypertroopers image (cause thats what im referring to)? its at the very end of 3:44.

Yup, looks like the Chief's armor to me, comparing against:

halo-4-021.jpg

Yeah, and it looks like the Chief to me. Maybe it's the lighting and angle that's throwing you off.

wow, I'm nuts (i didn't have the picture up very large either), but I was looking at it as if his whole torso and arms was a head looking away. you see what I mean?

Yes, but look how the back of the helmet has the under-suit showing rather than being a full helmet. Plus there is no shoulder protrusion like the new chief has. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it looks not at all the same to me.

You can't even see the back of his helmet, he's looking toward the screen, just a bit to the right (his left). You can clearly see the visor. You can't see the shoulders, though.

wow, I'm nuts (i didn't have the picture up very large either), but I was looking at it as if his whole torso was a head looking away. you see what I mean?

:D Right, I can see it now.

This theme has been in my head all day.

It's certainly a new direction for the music in the halo franchise but It's just as strong as what has come before, imo.

I totally agree! The theme playing in the video is wonderful. A drastic change, but a welcome one. I can't wait to hear more of the soundtrack in time to come.

I hope we hear who the composer is soon.

Petrichor

I totally agree! The theme playing in the video is wonderful. A drastic change, but a welcome one. I can't wait to hear more of the soundtrack in time to come.

I hope we hear who the composer is soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the main theme to be honest. I have no doubt it'll be playing as the game ends and the credits start rolling XD

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the main theme to be honest. I have no doubt it'll be playing as the game ends and the credits start rolling XD

Lol! You could be right tbh. I wouldn't be complaining if it was though, it definitely gets the adrenaline going. :)

Same.

When it builds up at :50 in the Vidoc... So good.

Yup! :50 is glorious! I also really liked the section around 2.45, really great melody playing there.

Gotta say, the music alone has got me incredibly excited. I remember a little while ago before AC Revelations came out, the soundtrack was sampled a little bit on Jesper Kyds site, and once I heard a couple tracks, I knew it was going to be a stellar experience. I feel this will be the same.

I might have been hating a bit on Anniversary and the MC action figure design, but after seeing the video of multiplayer action, I am now pumped as shit for this game.

Halo 4 could be what Halo CE was. The reason being that the first timed you played Halo you did not know what the covenant was nor its purpose. Now that we are assuming that the covenant are not the main antagonist we don't know what to expect.

Master Chief is about to land on some unknown planet and we don't know what to expect. Thus the mystery returns with Halo 4. In every game after CE we knew what to expect. Bungie couldn't recreate that sense because we knew our enemies and we understood its purpose.

Halo 4 literally brings everything back to the basics for what CE did. We absolutely have no idea what to expect in Halo 4 and that gives them the edge for their first Halo title. The sequels after it may not be able to match Halo 4 but hopefully it has a better progression than Halo 2 and 3 did in terms of story.

Trans

Neo Member
Does anyone else hope that TrueSkill will make a come-back from H3? Reach's Arena mode didn't really do it for me.

Well, neither did the armor abilities, but that's an entirely different story.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Does anyone else hope that TrueSkill will make a come-back from H3? Reach's Arena mode didn't really do it for me.

Trueskill is matchmaking. You always have a rank, even if you can't see it.

It's in everything, being able to see it encourages cheating and it should be kept out.

They better bring back ranks. I need my carrot. I didn't bother with arena because I didn't see a need to. I want to get a 50 again. It is what motivated me to play Halo. I lost my competitive spirit in Reach because of the lack of this. I didn't have a goal to obtain.

It's in everything, being able to see it encourages cheating and it should be kept out.

Honestly I don't care if it encourage cheating. there are more people who do things the right way than there are cheaters. I want to see my rank again. Reach felt like COD where rank didn't matter.

JdFoX187

Banned

Nothing wrong with ranks done right ala Halo 2. It gives people an incentive to stick through the game and try to win. Progression through accumulating credits isn't as rewarding. You're going to have cheating and griefers no matter what you do.

I think rankings should be a mix between true skill and experience, especially if character progression is involved (you wanna play with others who have similar "perks" unlocked. Plus it would make sense that if you haven't played much and do equally as well as someone who's played more, you should be ranked higher.

I think rankings should be a mix between true skill and experience, especially if character progression is involved

Halo 3 version of ranking was fine. Have a main rank and a sub rank for each playlist. The only problem with Halo 3 ranking was that it seemed forever to get a 50. You could win 7 games straight, lose a game, and you would need to win 20 games straight just to get a 50 from 49. It was crazy.

Outiside of that I would prefer a modified version of Halo 3's ranking system.

Halo 3 version of ranking was fine. Have a main rank and a sub rank for each playlist. The only problem with Halo 3 ranking was that it seemed forever to get a 50. You could win 7 games straight, lose a game, and you would need to win 20 games straight just to get a 50 from 49. It was crazy.

I guess in a sense, halo 3's ranking system was based on experience since you had to start at level 1. I'd be fine with a slightly modified halo 3 system for sure.

Trans

Neo Member

I guess that didn't really bother me because it just motivated me to play more.

Or maybe that was Bungie's plan all along..

I guess in a sense, halo 3's ranking system was based on experience since you had to start at level 1. I'd be fine with a slightly modified halo 3 system for sure.

A Halo 3 ranking system that doesn't punish being in a party as much.

From what I understood, in H3, Trueskill looked at your opponents and your teammates ranks. If your teammates were the same for many games, it wouldn't be to differentiate you from them and thus your ranking wouldn't move up as fast. Apart of the justification was that bad players could be sent into the higher ranks because of very good teammates. However, to me that's not too big of a deal, as if a player, who ranked up well beyond his/her playing ability from being in parties, tries to play by him/herself, then that player will just simply go down in ranking. The problems with boosting in general was way overblown by Bungie for Halo 3.

I hope a player's "main rank" is just displayed in the game lobby. Seeing other player's main ranks affected how I would approach certain games and certain players. If I saw a few Generals on the opposing team, I would remember their GTs and would be more methodical when engaging them. If I saw a bunch of players ranked below me on the other team, I knew I could probably dick around a bit and play less intensely.

Having ranks based solely on games played in a playlist displayed provides me less important information to judge how I may have to play.

matt05891

It wasn't fine. It was trueskill essentially. (Unless you ment the XP rank which was alright) It was ment to bracket you to play people who are your skill level which works for what it does but it irritated many people who I know because they got locked in at high 40's and they wanted the coveted 50. And once you hit 50 people never wanted to play because they could lose the 50. I enjoyed the ranking system as I might of had a 40 in say 1 or 2 playlists, but I always had a good time playing. Showing the Truskill to the player was the main problem with that system.

It wasn't fine. It was trueskill essentially. (Unless you ment the XP rank which was alright) It was ment to bracket you to play people who are your skill level which works for what it does but it irritated many people who I know because they got locked in at high 40's and they wanted the coveted 50. And once you hit 50 people never wanted to play because they could lose the 50. I enjoyed the ranking system as I might of had a 40 in say 1 or 2 playlists, but I always had a good time playing. Showing the Truskill to the player was the main problem with that system.

But that is the thing. They played because they wanted a 50. I played because I wanted a 50. I didn't care if I lost it or not. I just wanted to get it once since the game knew what your highest rank was.

Not showing it is why reach lost its competitiveness. I seen 50's play just to prevent other people from getting it. They have to show rank again if they want people to be competitive again.

I hope a player's "main rank" is just displayed in the game lobby. Seeing other player's main ranks affected how I would approach certain games and certain players. If I saw a few Generals on the opposing team, I would remember their GTs and would be more methodical when engaging them. If I saw a bunch of players ranked below me on the other team, I knew I could probably dick around a bit and play less intensely.

Having ranks based solely on games played in a playlist displayed provides me less important information to judge how I may have to play.

That is why Halo 3's ranking is fine. they had a ranking for experience, a ranking for the playlist you in, and your main rank for your highest rank achieved.

Like you I played harder amongst generals in the social playlists. You better play your best in ranked games regardless of who is playing because you can lose due to bad teammates.

That is why Halo 3's ranking is fine. they had a ranking for experience, a ranking for the playlist you in, and your main rank for your highest rank achieved.

Like you I played harder amongst generals in the social playlists. You better play your best in ranked games regardless of who is playing because you can lose due to bad teammates.

But I wasn't a fan of the update with the playlist ranks being displayed. One had to click on each individual GT to see the player's overall rank. At least both rankings should be displayed near the players' GT in the game lobby.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bah Halo 2 system was the best

it worked, until you got up to level 35 and were constantly facing cheaters :D

But I wasn't a fan of the update with the playlist ranks being displayed. One had to click on each individual GT to see the player's overall rank. At least both rankings should be displayed near the players' GT in the game lobby.

Huh? You saw from their symbol what their overall rank was. That is all is needed. Unless I am forgetting something. Been a while since I played Halo 3.

If you're level 50 you've probably played enough :p. Otherwise, have some cojones!

Kujo

What I hated in H3 was that you could constantly be MVP, but still lower in rank because your teammates sucked.

bah Halo 2 system was the best

it worked, until you got up to level 35 and were constantly facing cheaters :D

which version of Halo 2 ranking system. the initial was way too hard to rank up. After they updated the cheaters just made me stop playing the game. Especially since they reset the ranks twice.

Top Bottom