• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Good, my DIY 250GB HDD has too much free space.

I hope this means multiplayer will look and play great with no slowdown or long loadtimes.

What other 360 games lock you out of multiplayer if you have 4GB of storage or less?

The exact locked functionality or required hard drive space doesn't matter (and neither should we limit this to just Xbox 360 games), but Reach has already been mentioned. Off the top of my head, there's also FF XI, Forza 3 (and I suppose Forza 4), and every game (usually various GOTY editions) that ships with its DLC.

HDMI cables aren't that rare either but people still complain about them.

Yes, and they're not shipped with consoles regardless.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if consoles and games always came with everything needed to use them to their fullest, but in reality that's not the case. All I'm saying is that it's asinine to require that from Halo 4, but not also all the other games on any platform that can't be fully enjoyed without an optional piece of hardware.

Amazon.com is selling the slim 250gb hard drive for $85 which isn't bad but it sucks that I have to shell out for it. I could do a USB drive also but only some USB drives work. I had an old 16gb one and tried it and it didn't work.

bill0527

*Newsflash* Xbox for some time has supported external USB flash drives. Reasonable pricing with no money going to Microsoft.

Instead of saving $1.25 a month between now and November to buy an 8gb stick, it's much easier to complain and bitch at Microsoft for screwing early adopters and dirty poors.

Frankly, this is a non issue, and if you want to bitch about something, bitch about Microsoft artificially extending this gaming generation on the back of Kinect, when it should have ended 2 years ago.

LTWood12

In the end I guess the blame lies with the consumer for continuing to buy HD consoles with a 4GB drive. Microsoft should have upped the minimum years ago, but they didn't have to.

DR3AM

this sucks, i only have a 20 gig HDD and I have CoD installed on it because if I don't, all CoD games sound like a jet engine on my xbox.

DVD9 starting to become an increasingly limiting factor, it seems.

One of the worst first posts that I remember. That's missing the point completely. What has been a limiting factor on the 360 is the lack of standard HDD. I personally love it when developers use the HDD to make a better experience. This is, in my book, great news.

I can't say I'm sorry for those still with no HDD or 20GB HDDs, but if you're remotely interested in any of the many great XBLA exclusive titles you should already have a larger HDD by now. You don't even have to give MS a cent. There are cheap second-hand or knockoff 250GB and 320GB HDDs available; and you can even make your own for 50 bucks, and 60-120GB, which can be perfectly used with third-party cases on slim models are even cheaper. If you even more price conscious, you can even use one of those 8-16GB flash drives you must have around the house. I don't see why people are making such a fuss of something that can only bode well for the quality of the game.

No, it didn't, and neither do all Vita games and so on. Regardless, the point is no company will do that for you, it's not like this is the first game with such requirements.

Actually Animal Crossing for the Gamecube required a memory card and shipped with one in the box.

What other 360 games lock you out of multiplayer if you have 4GB of storage or less?

Burnout Paradise requires a Harddrive.

If you can't play the game out of the box it's a problem. Some people can't play the game out of the box. It's a problem.

I feel this it is a big reason the Vita is selling poorly right now.

Honestly, how many people who will pickup Halo 4 don't have at least 8GBs of free space?

I would guess that number would be fairly low when compared to the overall number of people purchasing the game.

Arnie

this sucks, i only have a 20 gig HDD and I have CoD installed on it because if I don't, all CoD games sound like a jet engine on my xbox.

So delete COD, install Halo, and think of it as rehab.

I'm personally happy about this. Hopefully it'll improve the multiplayer experience for all.

It's possible that the recently revealed Spartan Ops campaign, which will eventually feature 12 "incremental" hours across 50 missions, will increase required HDD space even further.
Bring it on! I have a 320 GB HDD (I think).

Actually Animal Crossing for the Gamecube required a memory card and shipped with one in the box.

Yes, I'm sure there are other exceptions, but we all know that's not the norm.

You'll actually need a 16GB stick not an 8GB because of the space that's taken up with system files on any memory device.

No, the thread title is wrong since the install size won't really be 8 GB, it'll be less than that, but more than 4 GB, thus the game requires an 8 GB flash drive or bigger.

FoxRomeo

Banned
They got screwed with Reach too. Halo: Reach Online Co-op Unplayable On 4GB Xbox 360s

halo-reach-4gb_1284585416.jpg

Dat peer pressure.

Apath

Ridiculous and unacceptable. I hope there is a really good reason for why Halo 4 should be so over the top in its HDD requirements. At least you can get USB sticks for super cheap now. I saw a 16GB one for $15 at Staples, so I'm sure if you shop online you can get an 8GB for a few bucks.

Lothars

Ridiculous and unacceptable. I hope there is a really good reason for why Halo 4 should be so over the top in its HDD requirements. At least you can get USB sticks for super cheap now. I saw a 16GB one for $15 at Staples, so I'm sure if you shop online you can get an 8GB for a few bucks.
Nope what's ridiculous is MS didn't have a hard drive in each model of the xbox since 2007.

This is about time and long overdue.

The later in the gen gets the more rules get broken. And again there are exceptions to every rule and usually first party or big exclusives will get breaks first to do it.

Nope what's ridiculous is MS didn't have a hard drive in each model of the xbox since 2007.

This is about time and long overdue.

They have never had a harddrive in every unit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We did actually explain all this at and before E3. Also interesting fact for statistics fans: this very thread has 100 times more people directly affected than average!

Giard

Going to have to buy a USB stick, or finally change to a Slim... I only have 1.6GB left, and I keep deleting stuff to make space.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have a feeling there will be a few sad kids come release night lol

Possibly, but an 8GB flash drive is like what, $10?

Some men just want to watch the world burn. Anyway, this only affects MP players. MP players have XBL Gold. XBL Gold users are dramatically more likely to have HDDs.

You really missed the boat on adding a 8/16GB flash drive that is Halo themed to the Collector's Edition. :p

FoxRomeo

Banned
It's been six years since the Xbox 360 launched. The games now are pushing the hardware to the max and the requirements have changed. This won't affect many people.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My launch 20gb HDD is ready. Bring that shit on, I'll delete anything and everything for Halo 4

FyreWulff

I have a feeling there will be a few sad kids come release night lol

That's what you get for buying a console and expecting all games made for it to be compatible with it.

This should probably inform people that early adopting Microsoft hardware is a bad idea.

ultron87

Doesn't everyone have approximately 13 USB memory sticks lost in various crannies around their house that they can find and plug in?

That's what you get for buying a console and expecting all games made for it to be compatible with it.

This should probably inform people that early adopting Microsoft hardware is a bad idea.

This isn't unique to MS. I know launch PS3's can't play all games released for the system. Not sure about Wii though and as pointed out there are many games released for brand new hardware like the Vita that require extra hardware to play. Going back to PS1, n64, PS2, Saturn... you name it. Sme games needed extra hardware. What about Majora Mask buyers for N64? Lots of disappointed kids.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you can play all vanilla Xbox 360 games on every model of the console (and all Kinect games, too, if you have a Kinect). You may need to invest in a hard drive or a USB flash drive if you haven't done that in the first place, but there are no unsolvable compatibility issues. Unlike what we had with some PS2 slim revisions which couldn't play a number of PS2 games no matter what.

FyreWulff

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you can play all vanilla Xbox 360 games on every model of the console (and all Kinect games, too, if you have a Kinect). You may need to invest in a hard drive or a USB flash drive if you haven't done that in the first place, but there are no unsolvable compatibility issues. Unlike what we had with some PS2 slim revisions which couldn't play a number of PS2 games no matter what.

Microsoft is actively selling a console RIGHT NOW that won't let you play Halo 4 multiplayer without buying add-on memory. I shouldn't need to update my console just to play a game, especially from a first party developer.

Microsoft is actively selling a console RIGHT NOW that won't let you play Halo 4 multiplayer without buying add-on memory. I shouldn't need to update my console just to play a game, especially from a first party developer.

Again, how is that different from some Vita games requiring a memory stick?

Top Bottom