• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4, One Year Later: What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kindest things to be said about Halo 4 are that 343i really improved how the aiming felt. Some of the tightest in the series. An improvement over Reach and MILES better than Halo 3's.

Shame the rest of the game was so mishandled. They had it. They had the core to make something great.

MYeager

I liked it, but didn't care for how much the maps were separated by which mode because it felt like I played the same maps over and over again. My wife and I really enjoyed the Spartan Ops Season and it got much better towards the end, I would've played more of that if they had released more seasons.

I think they tried to spread themselves too thin among game modes, but I still enjoyed it.

If opinions were physically harmful, your opinion would could commit genocide.

*shrug* He's not THAT far off.

Story: The original had the best story. Nice and tight; mysterious; good twist; classy ending scene. 2 was famously awful. 3 was exposition-city -- not in a good way, because it was hard-to-impossible to process/understand most of it especially without subtitles mid-battle -- and the ending left much to be desired given that this was supposed to be the End. ODST... the less said about its story and characters the better. Reach was actually good, although it contradicted Fall of Reach hugely and, being a prequel, was tainted to begin with. Finally, 4 featured a change of tone, and still had the confusion/magic factor, but overall it was epic and engaging; the decision to make MC an actual character was a good one. (It is of course a matter of opinion... some people think it's too "anime" or too melodramatic. It is quite reasonable to disagree with that.)

Campaign: Original is legendary, though it had a couple of long awful parts. 2 was famously awful. 3 had some awesome battles like the Scarabs... but also had hands-down the worst level in the entire series, Cortana. ODST... fuck ODST... especially that hub city shit... and fuck those visuals too. Reach was fairly awesome, if too reliant on DMRing Elites. 4 was again a change in direction, added some cool and unique enemies and fairly decent new guns. Yes, it cut down on the Halo-level freedom and reliance and vehicles, which was annoying, but on the other hand it felt great, and the series needed some kind of change -- which it provided. It was a good campaign that kept the series moving instead of stagnating.

So yeah, on those two points it's perfectly reasonable to think it's at least up there.

P.S. Uh oh, I just realized with whom I was sort-of-agreeing. Oh well... evaluate the post, not the poster.

If opinions were physically harmful, your opinion could commit genocide.

I mean, he's not THAT far off.

As far as storyline, I would order them:

H1 > H4 > REACH > H3 > H2

As far as gameplay (combat scenarios, use of the sandbox, variation, etc), I would order them:

H3 > H1 > Reach = H4 > H2

So it's about the 2nd or 3rd best campaign in the series, from where I'm sitting anyway. It's not like it's far and away the worst campaign.

TokiDoki

I think I've spent 300-400 hours on Halo 3 but never bother finishing Halo 4 Campaign . H4 multiplayer is not really fun as well , lacking the true skill system .

daman824

Halo 4 is miles better than Reach. I remember the bungie forums back in 2011. Everyone hated Reach and would do nothing but talk about how much better 3 was. Whenever anyone suggested that the hate happened with every halo release and people would think lovingly back to Reach when the next game came out they were harassed until they left the thread. But it's true. People are too willing to forgive some of the major design flaws in Reach because it's not the halo game everyone is talking about now. Armor lock was possibly the worst thing to introduce in a Halo game, The melee system was incredibly stupid, bloom was out of control, and the maps were copy pasted from the single player levels.

That being said, halo 4 could have been much better. Things like ordinance drops, killstreaks, armor abilities, loadouts, bloom, and sprint need to go. But I wouldn't mind a slight increase in base movement speed so large maps aren't torture to get around if the vehicles are taken (sandtrap is not fun if you don't have a vehicle).

Open up the campaign missions to at least halo 3 levels of scale and "largeness". If not more. It's a sandbox game afterall. And don't prioritize the graphics. Make it a halo game first, and then work on the engine with performance always taking priority. I'm not going to give a shit whether or not the game is running at 1080p when I'm playing 4 player split screen and getting 20 fps.

And most importantly, please reintroduce the hidden skulls. I have numerous fond memories searching for those in halo 3 and was disappointed when they were no longer hidden in any halo game afterward. Put them back, and make them hard to find.

And also allow the infected to use other weapons. Take the gametype customization's from halo 3 (where it was near perfect), and expand from there.

Edit: Actually, loadouts could potentially work if balanced correctly. That includes removing the option to spawn with plasma grenades and plasma pistols though.

I mean, he's not THAT far off.

As far as storyline, I would order them:

H1 > H4 > REACH > H3 > H2

As far as gameplay (combat scenarios, use of the sandbox, variation, etc), I would order them:

H3 > H1 > Reach = H4 > H2

So it's about the 2nd or 3rd best campaign in the series, from where I'm sitting anyway. It's not like it's far and away the worst campaign.

Yep, pretty good ordering. I'd probably Halo 3 down much further in the 2nd one however... maybe because most of what I remember is "Cortana" and "Halo," both of which were massive disappointments.

Ominym

Banned
*shrug* He's not THAT far off.

Story: The original had the best story. Nice and tight; mysterious; good twist; classy ending scene. 2 was famously awful. 3 was exposition-city -- not in a good way, because it was hard-to-impossible to process/understand most of it especially without subtitles mid-battle -- and the ending left much to be desired given that this was supposed to be the End. ODST... the less said about its story and characters the better. Reach was actually good, although it contradicted Fall of Reach hugely and, being a prequel, was tainted to begin with. Finally, 4 featured a change of tone, and still had the confusion/magic factor, but overall it was epic and engaging; the decision to make MC an actual character was a good one. (It is of course a matter of opinion... some people think it's too "anime" or too melodramatic. It is quite reasonable to disagree with that.)

Campaign: Original is legendary, though it had a couple of long awful parts. 2 was famously awful. 3 had some awesome battles like the Scarabs... but also had hands-down the worst level in the entire series, Cortana. ODST... fuck ODST... especially that hub city shit... and fuck those visuals too. Reach was fairly awesome, if too reliant on DMRing Elites. 4 was again a change in direction, added some cool and unique enemies and fairly decent new guns. Yes, it cut down on the Halo-level freedom and reliance and vehicles, which was annoying, but on the other hand it felt great, and the series needed some kind of change -- which it provided. It was a good campaign that kept the series moving instead of stagnating.

So yeah, on those two points it's perfectly reasonable to think it's at least up there.

P.S. Uh oh, I just realized with whom I was sort-of-agreeing. Oh well... evaluate the post, not the poster.

I can't believe there is actually someone out there that believes this.

Halo 4 had the most uneventful and unmemorable campaign out of the series. It had a story so stupid that it can proudly sit next to FF XIII, and repetitive enemies that were an absolute and complete chore to deal with from start to finish.

It was a Halo game that made fighting the Covenant un-fun. That's incredible.

The Multiplayer was basically Reach 1.5, which in my opinion isn't bad as I've enjoyed each Halo MP iteration for different reasons, but it definitely felt like the laziest retread of the MP with some CoD elements thrown in for good measure.

Halo 4 had the most uneventful and unmemorable campaign out of the series. It had a story so stupid that it can proudly sit next to FF XIII, and repetitive enemies that were an absolute and complete chore to deal with from start to finish.

Uh... you did play the Halo 2 campaign right?

He also thinks Ryse's facial animations / models look better than the PS4 Dark Sorcerer tech demo.

I am not surprised in the slightest that he thinks Halo 4 was good.

While I find 95% of what he posts pertaining to the system warz basically nonsense, this is not fair.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sounds like somebody wasn't satisfied with the immense numbers Halo usually does, and instead wanted to chase that Call of Duty money. And they did it by badly twisting Halo to look like Call of Duty, making something that didn't turn out as well as either.

But that's just me on the outside looking in.

neoism

H1 beat the campaign a dozen times played probably 1000 hours of multi

H2 same

H3 over 5000 games played beat campaign on every difficulty a dozen times

Reach <3 played campaign for over 200 hours... 6000 MP games played... My fav Halo game

Halo 4 played Campaign once... was garbage only played 288 MP games fucking bought the season pass and sold the game before the third map pack came out...

I no longer care about halo.... FUCK 343 garbage studio... that fucking ruined my favorite FPS series ever...

Destiny save US.... buying a Ps4 just for Destiny... because Bungle has my trust...

daman824

Sounds like somebody wasn't satisfied with the immense numbers Halo usually does, and instead wanted to chase that Call of Duty money. And they did it by badly twisting Halo to look like Call of Duty, making something that didn't turn out as well as either.

But that's just me on the outside looking in.
Eh... I would argue that they realized (just like Bungie) that change needed to happen, but changed too much. They took a few steps in the right direction with halo 4. But they took more steps back.

343 has acknowledged a lot of the issues though, and it's nothing that can't easily be fixed in Halo 5.

daman824

H1 beat the campaign a dozen times played probably 1000 hours of multi

H2 same

H3 over 5000 games played beat campaign on every difficulty a dozen times

Reach <3 played campaign for over 200 hours... 6000 MP games played... My fav Halo game

Halo 4 played Campaign once... was garbage only played 288 MP games fucking bought the season pass and sold the game before the third map pack came out...

I no longer care about halo.... FUCK 343 garbage studio... that fucking ruined my favorite FPS series ever...

Destiny save US.... buying a Ps4 just for Destiny... because Bungle has my trust...
I'd argue bungie ruined halo more than 343 did. the multiplayer in Reach is easily worse than halo 4.

neoism

I'd argue bungie ruined halo more than 343 did. the multiplayer in Reach is easily worse than halo 4.

nope most of the things in Reach didn't bother me at all.... I had the most fun out of any FPS in the first 3 months of that game. <3
Also Reach had the numbers... it had something like 900k players a year after release....
As you can see in the OP fucking no one plays h4 because it is dogshit....
But you either love Reach of hate it... I fucking LOVVVED it its my favorite HALO game.
But I will say HaloGaf customs in the holy days of Halo 3 really cant be beat....

Forreal. Gears of War 1 was a major example of gaming bliss in it's simplicity. No loadouts, no classes, no xp, and I still played it for a thousand hours. Really lost interest with 2 and 3, and of course Judgement.

Gears of War 1 is really something special. The sequels went for "bigger and badder" but I don't think they were necessarily making things better. They were adding cool features and whatnot but I think something got lost in the process.

It also helps that at the time there had never been a multiplayer game like Gears of War. It's rare to play a legitimately "new" game.

Brilliant.

lol I tried

03gE0xn.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Completely ruined and gutted the MP, and did it so badly that me and a bunch of my friends stopped playing after two months after playing every prior Halo for years after. What a shame in the direction they chose to take. Embarrassing. Prometheans were also an awful enemy design, and the fact that all the "new" weapons were just reskinned versions of classic Halo weapons is lol-worthy. Game looked really nice though, so I guess that's something.

daman824

Gears of War 1 is really something special. The sequels went for "bigger and badder" but I don't think they were necessarily making things better. They were adding cool features and whatnot but I think something got lost in the process.

It also helps that at the time there had never been a multiplayer game like Gears of War. It's rare to play a legitimately "new" game.
Gears of war 2 is definitely better than the first game. Really great map design.

Gears 3 was great and definitely an 8/10 game. But it did lack a certain something. I personally think it was the new art direction.

Jex

What happened is that 343 made a pretty average game, and a very bad Halo game. As others have pointed out, trying to chase an audience that was already well catered to while dropping the very core of what made Halo 'Halo' was an awful decision and is reflected in the statistics quoted in the OP.

I remember when Giantbomb discussed Halo Reach and declared that the game needed to 'modernize' it's multiplayer to bring it alongside COD. This always seemed to highlight a complete failure to understand what made the game special while simultaneously posturing a fallacy that their can only be one type of multiplayer shooter and that not having perks/loadouts etc was 'old fashioned'. I was saddened that 343 shared the same opinion.

Mesharey

I just want to say this is an amazing topic, I liked Reach multiplayer more than 4, oh and story mode in 4 wasn't good, my least favorite, and the new enemy was really bad (I forget their names) hopefully they don't appear in Halo 5.

GhaleonEB

I disagree.

Also, I'm an optimist.

Lastly, in full disclosure, as a Community Cartographer I've had an impact on Halo 4's MM since January. However, I probably shouldn't go into detailing the "impact".

There has been progress in the playlist department. The half-full/half-empty view is, while 343 does incorporate community feedback and make changes, they do so at a very, very slow pace and only after making a lot of initial mistakes to begin with. (Fyre's example of the initial re-balance roll out is a good example; should have been much faster, and sans the marketing fluff.)

It reminds me of the frustrations after they took over matchmaking with Reach. I was a Community Cartographer for Halo 3 and Reach. 343 eventually did some good stuff with Reach (though I object to a lot of it, the DLC and achievement shenanigans among them). But it was only after population flight and months of community outcry that they moved. (In the interest of disclosure, one of the Halo 3 BTB maps, Entrenched, is mine, and I designed the Firefight NEP game type in collaboration with 343; I was really happy they turned to that playlist after my months of whining :p ).

The folks at 343 are awesome people; they've been kind to me personally over the years and are just smart, generous, great folks all around. So I know what you mean when you talk about your engagement with them. But I've simply lost faith in the direction they took the series, and in their ability to support the games after ship. I hope you're right, though. I want Halo to be awesome again.

* Halo 4 lasted a whole two entire months in the Top 3 of the Xbox Live activity chart. Halo 3 didn't fall out of the Top 3 until Halo Reach released - 3 years after it's release. Halo Reach didn't fall out of the Top 3 until 343's title update for the game after they took over the game, 12 months after release.

* Roughly a year after release, Halo 3 had a 1.1 million peak population day. Reach had a 900,000 peak population day after the same amount of time. Halo 4 clocks in at 20,000 peak for it's annual checkup.

These metrics are brutal. I hope 343i has a wakeup call after the disaster that is Halo 4. The descent of the Halo franchise into a shit fest CoD clone has made a purchase of an Xbox One unjustifiable. I was confident in buying an Xbox when Halo CE was released, and I was confident in buying an X360 for Halo 3. I always knew Halo was good and could anchor my console purchase. I was actually angry after initially playing Halo 4 and its multiplayer but now I am just sad that something that used to bring me so much joy has been taken from me and I see no respite in the near future.

spootime

It really bothered me that the ancient mysterious all-powerful forerunners had fucking gun barrels. Right next to the human gun barrels.

Armor lock, broken melee system, bad map design, crazy amounts of bloom, reduced base movement speed, weaker vehicles that are easily taken down with almost any weapon, ect..

Hm. I'd say we disagree on the cumulative negative impact of those issues on the gameplay experience and enjoyability of the game then.

I would play 1000 Reach matches before I play one more Halo 4 match. It's just terrible.

FyreWulff

I disagree.

Also, I'm an optimist.

Lastly, in full disclosure, as a Community Cartographer I've had an impact on Halo 4's MM since January. However, I probably shouldn't go into detailing the "impact".

The impact is they started using us Community Cartographers as free Certain Affinity employees and not as community liasons and content promoters.

I went from having tons of fun working with Bungie on Reach and 343 on Halo (initially) to end up burning out from the limited feedback impact any Cartographer had, to just being used to test content CA/343 already had, and having the Community Cartographer name attached to things we didn't even work on.

In the early days, I was able to do stuff like get Affinity into matchmaking, work with other cartographers to convince Bungie to remove a certain armor ability, and send distilled HBO/GAF feedback that ended up in a certain gametype function getting added.

In the middle of it, I was paying for Live Gold out of my pocket just so we could get Reach updated.

At the end of it, I was fixing 343's disc maps up so that people couldn't escape from them or exploit them. There wasn't even time given to promote or work on original content. I was doing what paid employees should be doing. I ended up burning out like Chief in the intro of Halo 3.

For the type work you and other Cartographers are doing Tashi, you should be getting a paycheck. Plain and simple.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the Halo 4 campaign. Multiplayer launched with too few maps. Too many matches on that symmetrical white map, which I liked, but was all anyone played.

Game is fun, but yeah, no staying power

this is about it.

I played a hell of a lot of it, but it was pretty clear that it was going to continue downward and not be the 'it' game pretty much on release.

I'd probably still play it actually but the small player base means terri-bad lag that made it unplayable so I gave up.

The impact is they started using us Community Cartographers as free Certain Affinity employees and not as community liasons and content promoters.

I went from having tons of fun working with Bungie on Reach and 343 on Halo (initially) to end up burning out from the limited feedback impact any Cartographer had, to just being used to test content CA/343 already had, and having the Community Cartographer name attached to things we didn't even work on.

In the early days, I was able to do stuff like get Affinity into matchmaking, work with other cartographers to convince Bungie to remove a certain armor ability, and send distilled HBO/GAF feedback that ended up in a certain gametype function getting added.

In the middle of it, I was paying for Live Gold out of my pocket just so we could get Reach updated.

At the end of it, I was fixing 343's disc maps up so that people couldn't escape from them or exploit them. There wasn't even time given to promote or work on original content. I was doing what paid employees should be doing. I ended up burning out like Chief in the intro of Halo 3.

For the type work you and other Cartographers are doing Tashi, you should be getting a paycheck. Plain and simple.

This entire post makes me sad.

Armor lock, broken melee system, bad map design, crazy amounts of bloom, reduced base movement speed, weaker vehicles that are easily taken down with almost any weapon, ect..

Yeah I'm with you on that. Halo 4 was much better than Reach.. It's just that by the time Halo 4 came around, people were already burned by and burned out on Reach so they weren't going to give Halo 4 that leeway.

lol I tried

03gE0xn.gif

That's really good hahah
2IchgmU.gif

In all seriousness, and I've said this with each release but I really mean it this time
and I've said that too before too,
when I think they've learned from past mistakes. I want to believe.

CyReN

I only did the CC stuff for a couple weeks but it just seemed like a giant waste of time and effort. You would test maps and gametypes for a playlist and it would get in, then the playlist would be removed a week or so later even though the population was good.

Yeah I'm with you on that. Halo 4 was much better than Reach.. It's just that by the time Halo 4 came around, people were already burned by and burned out on Reach so they weren't going to give Halo 4 that leeway.

That's pretty speculative, and goes against most of the population numbers. If that's your gut feeling so be it, but ockham's razor suggests - based on the population numbers, that a solid amount of people were perfectly content playing Reach for an extended period of time, while Halo 4 was so bad they gave up on it immediately within months.

daman824

That's pretty speculative, and goes against most of the population numbers. If that's your gut feeling so be it, but ockham's razor suggests - based on the population numbers, that a solid amount of people were perfectly content playing Reach for an extended period of time, while Halo 4 was so bad they gave up on it immediately within months.
Didn't Reach experience a pretty stark population drop when compared to halo 3 as well?

ravenlord

Banned
Give us remake of Halo 3 maps for Halo 4...Do it 343...

Look DICE gave some great maps from BF2 for free...

I'd like to play again on Guardian, Construction, The Pit, The Narrows....Do us a favor and give those to players...

DO IT !

Didn't Reach experience a pretty stark population drop when compared to halo 3 as well?

It was a comparatively minor drop in population that held steady for about a year after release until the new COD game hit. Then it stabilized at about 50% of what it had been the previous year before dropping off the map when Halo 4 it.

So Halo Reach had a significant player base for a year, and moderate one for the year after, while Halo 4's player base went off a cliff within 6 months.

The people who had been happy to play Reach for quite awhile wanted no part of Halo 4 and fled as quickly as possible.

4qZTvWe.png

zap

Shit :(

Thanks for getting rid of Armour Lock and gametype function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom