• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4, One Year Later: What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Gears of War did the same thing. It lost the simplicity and balance that came from that simplicity in favor of XP and unlocks. Call of Duty 4 did that system well, I think, at least it was innovative at release. Now I can't stand that that system has found it's way into games where it doesn't belong.

Did you play Gears 3? Because the XP/unlocks are completely cosmetic(unless you wanna argue the hitbox advantage of female characters). Everyone has the same set of starting weapons, you still need to control the map and the power weapons, etc.

There was never a time where you were underleveled and someone had a weapon you didn't, or you ran into somebody with some dumbass perk/armor ability. You were all on even ground, and it rewarded smarter, better players.

Gaz_RB

taking out firefight and making odd enemy design decisions really was off-putting for me

hope they step it up with 5, as it will be the "keep my XB1 or trade it in" game

You'd trade in a system towards the start of a gen? Man, I could never see myself doing that. I feel like an awesome exclusive would come out in the next year or something and I'd have to begrudgingly buy it back lol

Did you play Gears 3? Because the XP/unlocks are completely cosmetic(unless you wanna argue the hitbox advantage of female characters). Everyone has the same set of starting weapons, you still need to control the map and the power weapons, etc.

Yeah I played it a lot, and enjoyed it, but I just didn't appreciate the extra layer of complexity.

I didn't play the MP, but I gave up on the game after it deleted my campaign progress after playing halfway through the story on Legendary, solo. Worse, the backup I had on a USB drive didn't work either, I guess because some campaign data is embedded in your gamertag.

Kimppis

Nice OP.

I bought the game at launch and wasn't disappointed. Great campaign and amazing graphics for the 360. The multiplayer was a nice mix of CoD and Halo... lol let me explain: I only own cod 2 and World at War and I have never played Modern Warfare, so Halo 4's gameplay felt just great... and dare I say it... fresh. Back when Halo 3 came out I was slightly disappointed by it (still loved it), because it felt too much like Halo 2. Where was the next-gen? So to me Halo 4 is probably the best Halo game since Halo 2. But hey, that's just me.

I stopped playing Halo 4 a while ago, though. Concentrating on PS3's backlog, PS4 and GTA Online (PS3), so there is no point to pay for Gold.

The reason why Halo 4 "failed", imo, is simple: cod crowd didn't care about it at all and Halo fans hated the changes they made. Call of Duty 4 and its sequels killed Halo.

A friend of mine bought a 360 again around the time halo 4 came out and we were pumped to play it

The online was depressingly unfun even before all the screwing around with the title updates and stuff. We played the campaign for a bit that first night and were done.

And the new mode (forgot the name but im taking about the weekly thing, that was going to be season based and have all this new content) was so ridiculously dull we lost interest in that first weekend.

I bought a 360 specifically for gears and to see what that became is even more depressing for me but the halo thing I can't explain. 4 was a let down in every way for me and my friends

FyreWulff

lol dont pin this on 343
bungie started with the whole loadouts and AA
343 took it to a new level

Not only was 343 not obligated to follow Reach's design, Bungie themselves were dialing back AAs and loadouts themselves before they had to stop updating Reach. No new playlists were getting Armor Lock for example, and they were removing certain AAs from other playlists.

Then 343 took over Reach, and added a bunch of AAs back to playlists, deleted playlists with reduced AAs and replaced them with all AA playlists, then added achievements centered around the AAs to lock them to forever existing in matchmaking. And then took the whole thing to 11 with Halo 4.

They are accountable for their decisions.

Marleyman

Banned
I enjoyed the campaign with the same friend I have played them with in the past. The multiplayer got the normal amount of play from me and I enjoyed the changes; just got tired of it like most games. I dug it and look forward to Halo 5.

I used to be an avid Halo fan -- I played multiplayer semi-competitively throughout Halo 3's entire lifespan and for part of Reach's. But something about Halo 4 just didn't hook me. I played for the first month or so of its launch then lost interest.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I put 100s of hours into Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach but have only played Halo 4 for about 24 hours.

The main issues that I had with the game:

• Most of the launch maps were poor Halo maps. Haven was considered the only decent map. Adrift and Solace were 'ok'. There were more big team battle maps than the small/medium team slayer maps and the small maps we had weren't good.
  • Being shot didn't take you out of zoom. In all other Halo games when you got shot you came out of zoom. This wasn't the case in Halo 4 and coupled with the range of the DMR, it felt like there was a lot of long range pinging battles. A change that had a big effect imo.
  • Everyone could start with a shotgun in the form of the Boltshot. With Camo being armor ability again (wtf) and not a power-up, it lead to many cheap deaths. Players could hide in camo and then one shot kill you.
  • The only Team Slayer mode that had a radar and normal settings was Infinity Slayer. The bullshit mode where the other team could get lucky and be given snipers and rocket launchers whilst the other team gets a needler. The fight and control for power weapons completely gone.

Such a shame.

Disagree on the maps, but yea Reach > Halo 4 multiplayer.

I'm not saying Halo 4 was great or perfect, but people are acting like Bungie was awesome.

Halo Reach Vanilla WAS NOT a great Halo multiplayer game. Better than Halo 4? Sure.

And the last time I played Halo 4 the gameplay was improved, is it not anymore? The "Turbo" patch really made the game fun. It seemed like 343 was listening to the community...

I think Reach was a great multiplayer game, just not as good as previous Halo games.

The sad part was, it all came down to tuning. Conceptually the changes/additions made sense and did add some elements to the gameplay formula.

Bloom did, for the most part, achieve it's job of limiting weapon versatility by ensuring that certain weapons were only effective within certain ranges, or would have to sacrifice firing rate for accuracy at long range. But it wasn't tuned quite perfectly, so close-range battles between precision weapons often felt more random than they should have. In every other combat scenario, it worked pretty perfectly as a balancing mechanism.

Armor abilities did bring new possibilities, strategies and emergent elements to combat. You could tackle engagements from new angles (literally and figuratively), you could plan around the tool, and try to lead the engagement such that it played to your advantage. The problem was, again, tuning. Irritating imbalances and exploits made them annoying to deal with at times, and Bungie never made it easy for players to predict what AA they were going to see next. If I see a guy coming with the shotgun vs a BR vs a RL, then I adjust my thinking appropriately. With no way to do so for AAs, it was always a surprise and more about reaction than strategy and skill. Not that adaptation isn't a form of skill, but the system leaned too hard toward adaptation, with not enough balance toward planning and prediction.

Compare those changes to the changes brought on in Halo 4. Those failures weren't a matter of tuning, they were conceptually terrible from the word go. There was NO way to make random weapon drops appropriate for Halo, no way to make ripping map control and fighting for weapons an improvement.

With the right tuning, I definitely feel like Reach could have been an excellent MP Halo game right along side Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3.

Halo 4, based on it's fundamental design, never had a prayer of being as good as those games. At best, it might have made for a nice Sci-fi COD game.

TheOddOne

I’ve posted about this in the OT, but never in the gaming section. Might as well do it here too.

There has been some notable staff changes at 343i after Halo 4 released:

• Design director left to join Visceral Games (Read his thoughs about campaign);
  • Lead campaign designer left to join Infinity Ward to work on CoD: Ghost;
  • Lead campaign level designer left to join Naughty Dog;
  • Lead multiplayer map designer left to join Bluepoint Games;
  • Lead multiplayer producer left recently;
  • The narrative director is now mostly working at Black Tusk (?).
Recent hires:

• Creative Director who worked on Tomb Raider reboot, Star Wars: First Assault (Was a test for Battlefront 3) and Repulic Commando.
  • One of the writers of Bioshock Infinite is now lead Narrative Director.
  • Lots of tech hires, mostly from Lucasart, Irrational Games and so on.

You could draw some conclusions from looking from the outside in.

Mik2121

Man, I'm kind of glad I missed out on the multiplayer. I enjoyed the campaign even if it fell short of Bungie's efforts in some ways but never had the chance to play multi due to discontinuation of Xbox Live on my end. I've previously loved Halo in multiplayer but something about Halo 4 never grabbed me.

Same here. I loved Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Halo Reach.

Halo 4 looked AMAZING, and the story was nice, but there was something about the singleplayer that didn't really hook me. After a month my yearly gold subscription expired and I didn't feel like updating it (I only updated it until then for all the Halo games. ONLY).

Too bad, because yeah... visually it's amazing.

Gaz_RB

I’ve posted about this in the OT, but never in the gaming section. Might as well do it here too.

• Design director left to join Visceral Games (Read his thoughs about campaign);
Recent hires:

• Creative Director who worked on Tomb Raider reboot, Star Wars: First Assault (Was a test for Battlefront 3) and Repulic Commando.

Wow this is actually pretty interesting, thanks.

It was the first Halo I didn't beat on Heroic. I didn't like the level design, it felt too linear and scripted. The old games I always felt I could backtrack, run around and enjoy but 4 had so many artificial 'blocks' to force you forward it just became obvious they wanted me to experience it a certain way.

The thing I loved about Halo is that you went into a situation and it could be different almost every time. I didn't get that from 4. I really felt there was a certain way to do it (effectively) and that's where they put the explosions, the timing, etc ...

Like many said, it became Call of Halo, which is sad. Probably one of my most loved franchises. And COD MW2 was the last COD I played and "somewhat" enjoyed.

I guess I am literally the only person here who enjoys MP. It's not perfect, and has balance issues but I still have a good time playing it. Aside from the horrid performance issues ala frame rate drops I get in MP.

Mumford

Halo 4 is making it really easy for me to ditch MS and go to the PS4. While I admit, Halo will be the one thing I miss about Xbox, Halo 4 killed Halo for me.

The campaign was terrible, 343's vision for the Halo series is misguided, and I highly, highly doubt that it will ever return to the glorious peaks that the series once reached. It certainly won't happen if they go in the direction of Halo 4 again.

RIP Halo.

StUnNeR H2K

My biggest issue with the game was the lack of objective types. Just felt like the multi-player was a step backwards with no bomb arming objective types, one flag, neutral flag... I'm also a big BTB fan, and it seemed BTB was nothing but Slayer and that gets boring after awhile just scoring kills.

I haven't lost faith in 343. It's a big challenge to take on Halo after Bungie did it for so long. The single-player story was one of the best in the Halo series IMO.

DR3AM

Lobby system and ranking system were complete trash among all those other things the op and other users mentioned.

2San

Halo 4 is making it really easy for me to ditch MS and go to the PS4. While I admit, Halo will be the one thing I miss about Xbox, Halo 4 killed Halo for me. The campaign was terrible, 343's vision for the Halo series is misguided, and I highly, highly doubt that it will ever return to the glorious peaks that the series once reached. It certainly won't happen if they go in the direction of Halo 4 again.
RIP Halo.
Yeah I loved Halo and Gears and they end the generation with releasing the worst in their respective franchises.

My biggest issue with the game was the lack of objective types. Just felt like the multi-player was a step backwards with no bomb arming objective types, one flag, neutral flag... I'm also a big BTB fan, and it seemed BTB was nothing but Slayer and that gets boring after awhile just scoring kills.

I haven't lost faith in 343. It's a big challenge to take on Halo after Bungie did it for so long. The single-player story was one of the best in the Halo series IMO.

This is actually a no-win area for whoever works on the Halo games, because there's such a divide. Lots of people - myself included - would love more big, vehicle-centric, objective-focused maps.

But they're not played anywhere near as much as basic slayer modes and the most vocal contingent of the Halo fanbase is always bitching about how there are too many big maps and not enough small, symmetrical arenas.

So it only makes sense to focus more on what the majority of players seem to be playing, and what the most vocal fans are demanding.

But yes, Halo 3 is my favorite Halo precisely because of all the great big maps and BTB objective style modes.

Omni

343i just doesn't understand Halo. And if they do, they simply don't like it (which I think was confirmed when they started hiring people who disliked the games).

Not only did they CoD-ify the multiplayer, but the also did the same thing to campaign. The whole thing is a dull, over scripted, closed in, glitchy, piece of crap. WHY IS THERE A PREDATOR MISSILE IN THE CAMPAIGN? Is it the result of focus testing? Or did the lead campaign designer just play Modern Warfare 2 and jot down ideas that he could blatantly rip off? And let's not even go into whoever is redesigning everything because they apparently feel like it.

Top right one of Halo Reach's marines.
20110112033608!Marine_Comparisons.jpg

A marine in Halo 4.
H4_MARINE.jpg

Look at that crap. It's even worse with things like the Pelican, Warthog, UNSC ships, THE COVENANT and sound effects that were completely redesigned for the worse for literally no reason at all. Plus you have the forgettable OST and the clusterfuck of a UI (which I assume they also changed because they hate Halo).

My post is melodramatic and I do hope for Halo 5... but saying that, at this point it seriously seems that outsourcing to people who actually understand Halo is all 343i is good for. Yes, I'm referring to Halo CEA and Spartan Assault (the latter of which, while a mobile game, still had a more of a faithful soundtrack and art style than Halo 4 did)

Chucker

Incredible read, great OP! I feel like I played Halo 4 every day until the first map pack and then I kind of stopped. I have the LE, so I had the season pass, but I don't think I bothered to get the other maps that were mine to have.

I'd boot it back up but with that small of a user base, I'm sure it's the people that have been playing it every day and I'll just get ruined.

Betty

Banned
The new enemies are plain boring to me. I could really never take the story too seriously, but this stuff with Cortana is too much for me.

Multiplayer is still fun for me, but I play it now and again. Good to see there's still a nice sized community.

EDIT: Single player had extremely solid gameplay, but yeah, the new enemies.

The Prometheans were a thoroughly uninspired enemy design, both in appearance and in the way you fight them.
They just look like stock aliens, and they remind me way too much of the Space Pirates of Metroid Prime 2, which only hurts any attempt at making them unique even more.

JB1981

People want Halo gameplay. They don't want it to incorporate mechanics and gameplay systems from other games. I still think they created a good shooter, just not a good Halo shooter. They need to go back to the basics with Halo 5.

Halo 4 is making it really easy for me to ditch MS and go to the PS4. While I admit, Halo will be the one thing I miss about Xbox, Halo 4 killed Halo for me. The campaign was terrible, 343's vision for the Halo series is misguided, and I highly, highly doubt that it will ever return to the glorious peaks that the series once reached. It certainly won't happen if they go in the direction of Halo 4 again.
RIP Halo.

I won't "RIP in peace" Halo yet, but Halo 4 (and the lack of wheel support and what Forza 5 is missing) is the main reason I'm going PS4 first and XB1 much later down the road. I don't have as much faith in their main staples anymore, I mean, what the hell has happened to Fable?

Halo being the #1 reason I bought a 360 and watching the series turn into something I don't like (might just be my age or nostalgia, who knows ... 3 is my favorite) has put me off the entire machine.

monome

Recent hires:

people who left, left, and were not fired. and got jobs at big studios.
and the hires do not seem very high profile.

So conclusion #1 is the ship is sinking...

time will tell. it's gonna be easy to judge since a new Halo game is coming, anyways.

The Prometheans were a thoroughly uninspired enemy design, both in appearance and in the way you fight them.

They just look like stock aliens, and they remind me way too much of the Space Pirates of Metroid Prime 2, which only hurts any attempt at making them unique even more.

Halo 4 was just basically a Metroid/Halo/Tron crossover

I actually like the art direction for the Forerunnery stuff, because it reminds me of Tron.

I'm a big fan of Tron

BLCKATK

Yeah this is a great thread. The numbers don't lie, this game took huge hits from the chances it took to capture a more general crowd, however how they got all those people in the first place was the easiness of getting into Halo and the rewarding feeling of excelling at it, even though the game was pretty simple. I miss this type of Halo and I hope it makes a return in 5.

I still like Halo 4, but it certainly falls into the shadow cast by the previous Bungie games, and all this series will ever be is a ghost of its former self if they can't get it together for the next game.

Back to the basics 343, find out what made this series great.

The halo series started trends in fps design that greatly reduced my enjoyment of it. It is nice seeing the latest counter strike beating the latest halo after so many years.

CyReN

Halo Reach certainly wasn't responsible for any death. It made some mistakes, but despite the sadfaces some people have about it, it didn't bleed out and leave Halo 4 with an empty pantry to take over:

9xPEUCx.png

And even if it did, 343 was under no obligation to continue off Reach.

I don't blame Halo Reach so much for the death, but 343i shouldn't have continued what Bungie did with that game at the end of the day.

Owensboro

Based on your first post, I'm really interested to read an in-depth post of exactly why the multiplayer didn't work out in Halo 4 as it did in previous installments. All I ever see is people talking in generalities ("It takes no skill now!", "It's to much spawn and die, spawn and die") which doesn't really help someone like me who hasn't played a Halo game since Halo 2. Halo used to be THE game you had to beat in multiplayer (just look at Halo 3 numbers.... damn), and I'd love to read in-depth about why this game in particular fell off so hard.

Interesting hearing all the dislike for the single-player in Halo 4. As much as I reviled the multiplayer, I really liked the single-player (and Spartan Ops).

I mean, obviously it was beautiful. But I also thought the whole Chief/Cortana dynamic served as a strong narrative spine and gave the story a lot more 'heart' than it's had in a long while. The new enemies added some interesting new elements into the combat, forcing new habits of enemy prioritization and forcing you to account for new attack patterns.

Honestly, the only complaints I have with it are really minor:

- Would have liked to see more wide open levels a la Halo: CE or Halo 3
- Would have liked to see more free-form combat sequences that included vehicles and tons of allies (a la Scarab battle in Halo 3)
- Would have liked to see more of the physicality, environment interaction we saw in the first level throughout the rest of the game
- Wish the new enemies weren't such bullet sponges, and I fucking hate the Knights invincible teleport animations

Oh and one major complaint:

WHAT THE FUCK happened to the Elite AI in Halo 4? Reach finally back to being the smart, scary motherfuckers they were in Halo CE, and now in Halo 4 they barely dodge, weave, flank or anything... the just attack head on and take your head-shots.

...still, I would rank the single-player campaign as tied for the second best in the series with Reach.

You'd trade in a system towards the start of a gen?

Yeah I would- really aprehensive about keeping my XB1 preorder. If dead rising 3 and crimson dragon flop there literally is nothing else I would want on it until Halo 5/Titanfall.

all multiplats Ill be getting on either PS4 or PC

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was actually just playing the campaign last night and was really enjoying it.

I wondered why everyone on GAF was down on the game- I guess everyone loved the campaign and hated the MP?

How did the Spartan Ops turn out?

Striker

This is actually a no-win area for whoever works on the Halo games, because there's such a divide. Lots of people - myself included - would love more big, vehicle-centric, objective-focused maps.

But they're not played anywhere near as much as basic slayer modes and the most vocal contingent of the Halo fanbase is always bitching about how there are too many big maps and not enough small, symmetrical arenas.
4v4 Slayer will always be the most popular in Halo, but BTB is right behind it. Halo 3 and Reach both used unranked versions and both were filled up most of the time.

But here lies the issue with 343. They, like they did in Halo 4, did away with objective based gameplay in 8v8 games and geared toward slaying. It was populated very well with Assault and CTF being primary focus in Reach but once Bungie gave away the keys it went from CTF on Hemorrhage to Slayer on Boneyard or Spire (yeah, they put both Invasion maps in the first voting stage so they always were showing up). Not to mention Heavies. It turned into a shitshow.

ElRenoRaven

You know what else did not help things. They removed some staple weapons and added in reskinned copies of others. To me when I think of Halo for example here are the first 2 weapons that come to mind.

Assault Rifle
Plasma Rifle

The first weapon I think of enemy wise is the plasma rifle. Replaced by an awful covie copy of the AR. The Prometheon weapons sucked too because they again were just reskins with a tweak. One thing Bungie got right was that each weapon was unique and served a role for the most part. Sure they had a couple of reskins but those were unique enough that they were fun. You don't have that in Halo 4. Not one bit. Every enemy weapon just feels so bland and unoriginal except the Needler and plasma pistol which thankfully survived.

Smokey

Sad but informative OP. Good job.

You pretty much nailed everything. For me it was all downhill the moment the series went away from ranks to stop hurting kids feelings. Don't think they'll ever get it back to what it was at H3. Not to mention it ain't bungie...

richprice79

Neo Member
Forreal. Gears of War 1 was a major example of gaming bliss in it's simplicity. No loadouts, no classes, no xp, and I still played it for a thousand hours. Really lost interest with 2 and 3, and of course Judgement.

I am right there with you I played Gears of war 1 every night for almost 2 years and couldn't wait for the sequel that is until i played it. It felt slow and they took away the fun shotgun play. Gears 3 was much better than 2 but still couldn't match 1.

Overdoziz

Banned
I was actually just playing the campaign last night and was really enjoying it.

I wondered why everyone on GAF was down on the game- I guess everyone loved the campaign and hated the MP?

How did the Spartan Ops turn out?
Here are my problems with Halo 4's campaign. It was basically the only thing about Halo 4 that I was still hyped about and because of that it was probably even more disappointing than the multiplayer.

-The scale of encounters is toned down.
Halo Reach already had smaller encounters than Halo 3, but Halo 4 doesn't do anything to fix that either. Battles like the ones towards the end of the The Ark or the double Scarab fight during The Covenant are nowhere to be seen in Halo 4. While playing the level with the Mammoth I was waiting for a battle against a big army, but all we got was a couple of Wraiths and a Ghost here and there at most. In total the level had quite a few vehicles, but that's only because you fought wave after wave of one Wraith and two Ghosts. I'm not sure why Scarabs didn't make it into Reach and Halo 4. Sure, after a couple of times they became easy to take down, but I feel like if they were expanded upon some great things could've come out of it.

-It's more linear than any other Halo.
This related to my previous point. Similarly, ever since Reach there's been a worrisome trend. The levels are getting more and more linear and there are less options to mix things up. Halo 1 was probably the most open of any of the Halo games. Levels like The Silent Cartographer and Halo were great examples of to gives people the option to take different approaches to certain encounters. Halo 3 also did a great job at this. While there aren't any levels quite as open as the ones I just mentioned, the levels were still designed with flexibility in mind. Halo 4 hardly had any of this. The most open level was the one with the Pelican, but in the end you didn't really do anything while flying it. So essentially the level was just three (?) linear encounters in one. Being able to mix things up was what made Halo so excellent for replayability which is something Halo 4 sorely misses, partly because of this.

-Promethean enemies are badly designed.
343 had the opportunity to do something Bungie never did: create completely new enemy types that would freshen up the campaign after 10 years of Elites, Grunts and Jackals. The result, to me, was quite disappointing. Initially I was pretty excited about the idea of the Promethean working closely together, but after playing the game it felt really lacking. The only unit that actually interact with his allies was the Watcher. It shielded Knights and even revived them after they died. Knights and Robodogs didn't really acknowledge their allies at all. This resulted in the Watcher being a priority target every single time there was a fight against Prometheans. Why bother killing knights first if the Watcher can revive them anyway? It made the fights less flexible as a result, especially compared to fights against the Covenant.

A bigger issue I had with the Promethean was how they felt like bullet sponges much more than the Covenant ever did. (Halo 2 Brutes were pretty bad, but even those died with a couple of headshots) Where with the Covenant you can quickly drains shields with Plasma weaponry there was no such thing with the Prometheans. Yes, you could drain their shields with Plasma weapons, but during most encounters with them there weren't any Covenant around to drop Plasma weapons. So you ended up mostly using either Human or Promethean weapons, both of which weren't effective at range. The Suppressor was decent, but on higher difficulty levels getting up close with Knights is not recommended. Combine the lack of Plasma weaponry with the fact that the shields of the Knights are barely visible and recharge incredibly quickly and you've got a frustrating enemy. That's without even taking into account the teleporting and their screwed up head hitboxes.

-The story is a mess
The stories in Halo games were never that great to being with, but until Halo 4 there were at least fairly contained. Reach already made it a bit muddy by adding Halsey without even explaining who she is, but Halo 4 truly is a mess. If you hadn't read the books you'd have no idea who you're fighting or why have even hates humanity to begin with. The terminals do a decent job at explaining some of this stuff, but they're not even viewable in the game itself. You have to go to Youtube or the Waypoint app to watch them. Something which I can safely assume rarely anybody does midgame. Even if you could watch them as soon as you unlocked a terminal it wouldn't have be great, because a lot of people miss out of them this way. They should've been woven into the gameplay and cutscenes in the game itself to work.

-It's too 'game-y'
Keep in mind, this is a relatively small complaint. It's about how 343's Halo feels less natural than those of Bungie. Quick Time Events, the same button press animation a million times, a predator strike section, calling in 'airstrikes' with the target designator, those short ingame cutscenes, that kinda stuff. Stuff like that never made it into Bungie Halo games for good reason. Halo was about dropping you into and environment and letting you do whatever you want. Those things I mentioned just now take you out of it and make it less... sandbox-y if that makes sense. They're unnecessary small things that when added up annoy me quite a bit. Another example of the difference between 343 and Bungie is the comparison between the The Maw Hog run and the Halo 4 Ghost run. You can see enemy troops run away during both these sequences, but there's a difference between how they're handled in both. In Halo 1 you can see Covenant fighting Flood, you can see squads made out of Elites and Grunts running toward safety. It all feels very natural and doesn't feel out of place. During the Halo 4 Ghost run you see nearly a hundred Grunts all running in a straight line doing the exact same animation. They look like they're placed there to give the player some cheap free kills. It feels fake. Again, these aren't major issues, but it does make me appreciate Bungie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom