• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
If they can patch in Descoping when hit again you would not need half the other shit. It would even make maps like Complex a whole lot better. You can see all the fishy people already taking off. I can tell when they are all crawling around crouched the entire match and trying to hide.

No way they will do this, with all the changes they have made that would be a huge negative for the mass amount of players.

One thing I have noticed in H4 when compared to others in the franchise is that there doesn't seem to be as big of a skill gap between players.

With how accurate the DMR is at range you put in descoping and most of the games audience will freak out as they get donged all match long.

Woot Legendary solo complete.

It actually wasn't too bad. I think Reach was a lot harder.

I'm say that every other Halo on Legendary was harder. This is the first time I ever just went right through in 2 days and never had a scenario I couldn't pass within 2 deaths. I had more trouble playing through Anniversary on Normal a month ago.

REV 09

starting to not like Regicide. It's definitely fun, but the rubber banding of the scores makes winning seem almost random. My k/d is consistently at the top, but I usually place 3rd. If I'm dominating as king, Someone can get 30-40 points when I eventually die.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
starting to not like Regicide. It's definitely fun, but the rubber banding of the scores makes winning seem almost random. My k/d is consistently at the top, but I usually place 3rd. If I'm dominating as king, Someone can get 30-40 points when I eventually die.
Yeah I tried Regicide for the first time yesterday and I like it a LOT, but it's that same kind of crazy fun that KotH, just even more party-oriented. The bounty is interesting though, I wouldn't say it makes for the most competitive gameplay because of the rebounding and constantly changing momentum and thus player rewards, but I think for some casual fun it's great. Looking to try it out next time I get a local MP session in.

Proc

Not typically a console fps guy but this game has really sucked me in. I'm sr 22 now, which is probably the furthest Ive gone in any halo multiplayer. I just started doing the big slayer maps and they are a blast. I love the gameplay so much. I just got my 4x killing spree award, woot. I suspect my luck will change in the later levels but right now I'm holding my own.

I'm liking this way more than blops 2 multiplayer. This will be my go to fps most likely until the next consoles come out. Hopefully 343 doesn't keep us waiting too long on the next xbox.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Over halfway through and I agree with this. Reach had a LOT more firefight-type moments in the campaign though. Lots of holding checkpoints against waves and waves of enemies, which got REALLY old and repetitive. There were several points in the campaign that felt really brutal alone.

Halo 4 has been a pleasant challenge on legendary solo, only occasionally frustrating. The AI for elites was FAR superior in Reach though. In Halo 4, they often feel braindead, have not feared them nearly to the level I did in Reach.

You've got to be joking. I'm on my Legendary play through at the moment, currently on the third level and its extremely frustrating, and I found Halo 3, ODST and Reach to be challenging but a fair bit easier.

I certainly think its the hardest Legendary play through I've done.

RdN

Seriously.. What's the deal with the lag in this game? It's much, much worse than anything Reach ever had!

I just can't believe 343 screwed the best P2P netcode Xbox Live had..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I might be the minority but I think ordinance drops make BTB soooooo much better.

If it wasn't for them BTB would just be a DMR fest all day. Is that a problem? If you are sick of playing Ragnarok now imagine if there was only one spartan laser on the whole map...

Which ever team has their Mantis and Banshee intact would just reign fire on the other team the whole time.

good point. remove those too.

:)

still really really enjoying the game. have yet to have really frustrating experiences with the actual game, like i would from time to time with reach and jetpackers/camo/armor lockers. i definitely have things i'd change or adjust, but i understand that my list would likely differ in minor or major ways with some others, and you cant please everyone. quite happy with the way the game is now.

Teknoman

Not typically a console fps guy but this game has really sucked me in. I'm sr 22 now, which is probably the furthest Ive gone in any halo multiplayer. I just started doing the big slayer maps and they are a blast. I love the gameplay so much. I just got my 4x killing spree award, woot. I suspect my luck will change in the later levels but right now I'm holding my own.

I'm liking this way more than blops 2 multiplayer. This will be my go to fps most likely until the next consoles come out. Hopefully 343 doesn't keep us waiting too long on the next xbox.

Agreed. Also as far as campaign stuff goes, I just realized that this is probably one of the few games this generation that has a "waiting action" similar to titles from past generations. Cortana bugs you about getting a move on if you just stand around ala Sonic tapping his foot or Mario falling asleep. Cool that it isnt just the same message over and over...little things like that show they put their all into the game.

So how come the disc is still running when I have both discs installed? It wasn't like that with Reach.

I think it just runs for a little while then stops. I dont hear the disc spinning atm, but it was pretty noisy the first few minutes or so into the game. I think Gears 3 is like that too.

abadguy

Banned
Seriously.. What's the deal with the lag in this game? It's much, much worse than anything Reach ever had!

I just can't believe 343 screwed the best P2P netcode Xbox Live had..

Is there any particular reason Halo games aren't on dedicated servers?

Scrabble

Just finished and even with low expectations I'm a little disappointed. I felt the middle of the game was really good, but bottom and top thirds of the game were painfully boring and dull. It's totally competent but it's easily my least favorite halo game, and the worst thing I can say about it is that I just feel it shouldn't exist.

EvB

Is there any particular reason Halo games aren't on dedicated servers?

Probably just the fact that you'd need like 25'000 servers running just to accommodate the volume of players online at any one point.

I don't think there is really much need for dedicated servers with some many people with such good connections.

I have played 170 or so games online and I can count on one hand the number of games where I've experienced any network problems.

Yikes, I completely disagree. I already consider it one of the greatest video game soundtrack ever.

not sure about one of the greats, but its pretty damn good. the track "117" is incredible. was the most perfect thing to put on during the
trench run
section of the game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Fuck me can a single sensitivity setting fuck your game up. When the game reset on me the second time my aim really went to shit. I think i just cant play halo for shit but my aim has always been on point. When that went i was seriously confused.

Finalow

what am I missing here? I can't customize a thing, I tried like every option but still nothing for customization, just some score and shit.

REV 09

At this point, I'm starting to think the DMR should just be a 6 hit kill instead of 5. At higher levels it is increasingly noticeable on how much it has ruined BTB.

Satchel

Banned
Just beat Legendary solo last night

Have to say, probably one of the easier campaigns on Legendary. Second half of the campaign actually went far quicker than the first half.

The key is strategy. Keep your distance and always have a long range weapon on you. Pick them off at range.

Starting an easy run today, my 3rd playthrough. Such a great campaign.

Grisby

You've got to be joking. I'm on my Legendary play through at the moment, currently on the third level and its extremely frustrating, and I found Halo 3, ODST and Reach to be challenging but a fair bit easier.

I certainly think its the hardest Legendary play through I've done.
Nah man. Like others have said the AI seemed more aggressive in the others. Especially the elites. I used a lot of close combat weapons and specialty weapons on elites/Promethean knights.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Finally gotten used to the controls, so I hopped online. Second slayer match so far: 40 kills, 6 deaths. lol, this community is so bad compared to past Halos.
You are being matched against people with low skill level who also just started playing matchmaking. Don't worry, there are people just as skilled.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I think the Covie AI is still pretty darn good, but maybe a tad below Reach's. Begs the question why they didn't basically do a copy paste job of Covie AI from Reach and maybe build from there? Isn't Halo 4 running on a heavily modified version of the Reach engine?

Presco

You are being matched against people with low skill level who also just started playing matchmaking. Don't worry, there are people just as skilled.

I've put a few hours into matchmaking and my KD is out of whack at 4.5 or something. I'm halfway decent at Halo but this is the first time I've touched a console controller in close to a year so I figured I'd be getting dumped on for awhile until I remembered how to FPS with a controller. I'm kind of shocked at the level of play I've seen to this point. I have been hopping between playlists so the effect is probably quite exaggerated at this point but matchmaking doesn't seem to have found a good spot for me yet.

Not saying I want it but what would people think of a smoke grenade in Halo? Similar to Gears as in the coverage and thickness but minus the stun. Worthless? Useful? Doesn't make sense in Halo?

S1kkZ

Not saying I want it but what would people think of a smoke grenade in Halo? Similar to Gears as in the coverage and thickness but minus the stun. Worthless? Useful? Doesn't make sense in Halo?

with the radar, promethean vision: makes no sense (to me). it could be interesting on bigger maps.

Okay, I encountered two strange (any annoying) things in this game which I think are bugs.

1. I completed all five chapters of Episode 2 of Spartan Ops today using matchmaking but I didn't complete the challenge "Heroic Episode - Complete all missions in Artifact on Heroic or higher difficulty". When I look at each episode independently they each say "COMPLETED HEROIC". And yes, I did watch the episode as well so I know I completed all aspects of the episode. I finished all of Episode 1 solo on Legendary and I didn't have any problem completing those challenges.

2. In Commendations under the Player subcategory there is a commendation called "Perfection - Complete a match without dying and get at least 15 kills." Well, I just did exactly that. I finished a Dominion game on Exile and went 21:0 during the whole game. Even the post game stats shows this. The match stats are here. (Click 'Combat')

Okay, I encountered two strange (any annoying) things in this game which I think are bugs.

1. I completed all five chapters of Episode 2 of Spartan Ops today using matchmaking but I didn't complete the challenge "Heroic Episode - Complete all missions in Artifact on Heroic or higher difficulty". When I look at each episode independently they each say "COMPLETED HEROIC". And yes, I did watch the episode as well so I know I completed all aspects of the episode. I finished all of Episode 1 solo on Legendary and I didn't have any problem completing those challenges.

2. In Commendations under the Player subcategory there is a commendation called "Perfection - Complete a match without dying and get at least 15 kills." Well, I just did exactly that. I finished a Dominion game on Exile and went 21:0 during the whole game. Even the post game stats shows this. The match stats are here. (Click 'Combat')
I am pretty sure perfection only pops in slayer games.

Tunavi

Banned
Because, and I know this is a shock, people like loadouts, ordinance and the radar.
1238831_o.gif

How I feel about the ordinance system in Halo 4.

I am looking forward to seeing what they will do with Halo 5 on 720. What I am hoping for is co-op with up to 8 or 10 people, AI battles with at least 100 enemies on screen, in bigger "sandbox" type environments.

I just hope they get more than a max of the 16 players online they have had since Halo 2. Maybe they can up it to 18, MAYBE?

Legendary solo was a lot of fun.. I really warmed up to the Prometheans, but I still think they are lacking in variety and in actions. Story was solid but needed more, mission design was decent but often times predictable and boring.. its kinda like they went down a checklist but never fully realized any of the ideas. I liked it, but it needed some work... thats not to say some parts weren't really good.

God I wish the audio mixing wasn't so uneven in SP... the music is constantly drowned out by all the other noises... its really annoying. Also, I hate how abruptly the music ends sometimes.. The game has good music, but it was not implemented that well IMO.

Also, Global Ordinance is fundamentally broken. Please bring back timed and placed weapon spawns and maybe keep global ordinance but have less of a reliance on it.

Top Bottom