• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

tch

I'm finding fun in the game by just goofing around. When I take it seriously/competitively the flaws are glaring. Finished my splatter commendation, I'm now working on my wheelmans and my operator specialization.

Truth in its purest form.

I think I'm one of the only few people left who still really loves this game. :(

Neh, I do. Honestly the most fun I've had in a halo game in a long while. I have some gripes but I still have a lot of fun.

The DLC maps though really didn't sit well with me. I want smaller maps and it really makes no sense to have so many big maps, especially when they try to call one of them "Small".

Neh, I do. Honestly the most fun I've had in a halo game in a long while. I have some gripes but I still have a lot of fun.

The DLC maps though really didn't sit well with me. I want smaller maps and it really makes no sense to have so many big maps, especially when they try to call one of them "Small".
So true. Any maps that accomidate vehicles I wouldn't consider small. Speaking of which Complex in SWAT needs to go.

TheDanger

Banned
Fuck I thought the austrian pegi version comes with english voice overs, why can't they just release language packs on the marketplace ?

zlatko

Banned

Im with you ! ;)

You would be wrong sir.

Nah, I luv Halo 4.

I like the cut of your jibs.

Spartans to the end...

Halo 4 > reach for me right now but I do wish power weapons were map based more then ordinance drops, at least for rocket launchers and snipers, the other weapons are not too bad.

malfcn

What the fuck happens the first time you get PV?

Everytime I haven't even got to the action Cortana is talking about the ability being dropped.

"What did he drop?"
"I don't know, didn't know there was someone there!"

Was it a Marine that killed him right before I got there?

zlatko

Banned
What the fuck happens the first time you get PV?

Everytime I haven't even got to the action Cortana is talking about the ability being dropped.

"What did he drop?"
"I don't know, didn't know there was someone there!"

Was it a Marine that killed him right before I got there?

Yeah he gets blown up by a marine or shotgunned last second. I think the marine sets off a grenade to blow them both sky high.

zlatko

Banned
Same here.

I understand the complaints, and they are myriad, and thoughtful, but they just don't affect my enjoyment of the game like they do for others. The game we have is imperfect, but still a whole lot of fun that rewards teamwork.

For me I've played so many FPS and TPS shooters since the start of this generation that it's easy to find faults with so many of them, and the majority I bail on after a month's time. The exceptions? Metal Gear Online, Gears of War 1, and Call of Duty 4. These games, with definite faults of their own, still held my interest day in day out for months at a time to keep having fun with them.

Too often when I put in a shooter this gen I start to get pissed off and bitch into my headset or in my mind if I'm playing alone. So for me to find a game where I'm just having fun and can laugh with friends the whole time I play, is a REAL treat. Even my buddies noticed..."hey you aren't complaining about anything when we play this...wtf?" Well yeah wtf is there that's really destroying the flow of the game for me? There's no armor lock bull crap or real inconsistencies with bloom like in Reach. Plus, the map selection here takes a giant shit on what Reach had pre map packs.

The game of course will get, and needs to get, a few updates in its time line, but even if 343 said, "We aren't changing shit except adding more maps," then I'd still be A okay with it. Why? Because as I sit here at work day in day out, all I keep thinking about is wanting to be home to get in a little more time with the game.

I've dabbled with all the modes, and I have fun in the majority of them. CTF and SWAT are my two favorites at the moment. That bad ass feeling when your team has to play defense the whole game because the other guys are really good at pushing your flag, only for you to find that brief moment in time to slip away while your 3 play D, and you get to the flag, melee 3 guys with it, shoot another, and make it back to cap it with red flashing health...fuck that feels soooooo good! Or in SWAT when the other team is 5 kills away to win, and you guys are down 10, and all of the sudden you turn on God Mode and get an over kill, into a triple kill to bring your team back...fuck yes!

If you can't find moments of fun in the game, then it isn't for you. I get abilities, perks, and guns need tweaking/balancing, but to start up a stink storm to say the game is unbalanced on the levels of like MW2 where you can rain death and drop a nuke on people to win, compared to some guy getting a needler to drop down after he got 3 kills, is a ridiculous notion. It's 2 free kills at best.

<3 this game.

Trey

All the armors are over designed in my opinion because there was nothing wrong with base Mark VI being the only option in the first place. It's all just fluff, but at least folks have the option if they're so inclined.

Same here.

I understand the complaints, and they are myriad, and thoughtful, but they just don't affect my enjoyment of the game like they do for others. The game we have is imperfect, but still a whole lot of fun that rewards teamwork.

In Slayer I roll with my team far more than I did in Reach (well, more than 'never', which isn't too hard) because you basically cannot win a 1 vs 2 with everyone rolling BR/DMR at the very minimum.

Fights feel much more like a team effort than they used to simply because of the futility of getting caught alone.

exYle

Truth in its purest form.

I think I'm one of the only few people left who still really loves this game. :(

Well, positivity is hard to discuss over long periods of time. Also, I adore this game.

In regards to helmet talk... CIO is the best helmet in the game and it's a completely new design.

zlatko

Banned
Well, positivity is hard to discuss over long periods of time. Also, I adore this game.

In regards to helmet talk... CIO is the best helmet in the game and it's a completely new design.

My favorite helm right now is Warrior. Big fan of Recon, Scanner, Aviator, and a few others.

REALLY wish I had the Locus DLC helm. It's by far my favorite one. :(

As for body pieces I'm using Warrior at the moment, but also enjoy the recreation of the Jorge type body with the battery looking thing in the chest.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The multiplayer gameplay feels like Halo but with a bunch of CoD stuff shoehorned in. They threw in killstreaks, perks, instant respawn, sprint, killcams, etc. etc. The experience feels disjointed. Like it's trying to be two games at one time. It doesn't feel quite right to me. The perks aren't as interesting or as varied as CoD, the killstreaks are pretty boring for the most part and killcam is completely broken.

CoD kids aren't going to love this and Halo vets are already voicing their displeasure. 343 should've gone FULL crazy if they wanted to change the game. Iron sights, hornets as air support, a group of AI controlled marines as a killstreak, BIG fonts, guitar riffs, and marijuana emblems. Maybe Halo 5? :)

totally kidding on the Halo 5 recommendations btw

zlatko

Banned
The multiplayer gameplay feels like Halo but with a bunch of CoD stuff shoehorned in. They threw in killstreaks, perks, instant respawn, sprint, killcams, etc. etc. The experience feels disjointed. Like it's trying to be two games at one time. It doesn't feel quite right to me. The perks aren't as interesting or as varied as CoD, the killstreaks are pretty boring for the most part and killcam is completely broken.

CoD kids aren't going to love this and Halo vets are already voicing their displeasure. 343 should've gone FULL crazy if they wanted to change the game. Iron sights, hornets as air support, a group of AI controlled marines as a killstreak, BIG fonts, guitar riffs, and marijuana emblems. Maybe Halo 5? :)

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

If that's the plan for Halo 5. I'm out.

VVIS

Neo Member
I have only had time to play about 30 minutes of MP. Is the killstreak thing in every game mode? I assumed it was something new only in the one I was playing.

exYle

I have only had time to play about 30 minutes of MP. Is the killstreak thing in every game mode? I assumed it was something new only in the one I was playing.

No, it's only in playlists specifically marked "Infinity" (Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity Slare)

Fry

the german voices kinda ruin the game for me, fuck 343 for not letting the player choose the language.

They are selling the dubbed version here in Brazil. Pisses me off that. It makes the game cheaper, at least.

But that's not a problem in the multiplayer, right? Because I'll literally only play that mode.

the german voices kinda ruin the game for me, fuck 343 for not letting the player choose the language.
Oh. Why not "fuck" Microsoft Germany for not delivering a great VO or not selling the English version in Germany?

Have you tried setting your console to English language? Normally then the games should run in English too.
No. It does not work. There is no other language on the disc because of space limit.

LosDaddie

Banned
I guess I'm just a Halo fanboy because I'm loving Halo 4, just like I did with Reach/Halo3/etc. Just....having a great time so far. And I haven't played any of the campaign yet.

But sure, I don't like everything about Halo 4. Mainly this stuff:

The multiplayer gameplay feels like Halo but with a bunch of CoD stuff shoehorned in. They threw in killstreaks, perks, instant respawn, sprint, killcams, etc. etc. The experience feels disjointed. Like it's trying to be two games at one time. It doesn't feel quite right to me.

...I play Halo for the Halo gameplay. It's the Yin to CoD's Yang. I think 343i incorporated a little too much of the CoD formula into H4, but again, I'm still enjoying myself a ton. I do hope 343i pulls back on the CoD stuff for H5.

I see that you haven't visited the Community thread. In comparison, this thread is a gentle breeze of communication.

This thread seems to have descended into a bitchfest. Has the shiny newness worn off already?

And people wonder why Frankie and Ellis don't engage with HaloGAF that much anymore....

pringles

Didn't think I'd get the monthly challenge, but today brought a crazy winning streak of something like 20 straight games.
Watching that XP roll in was amazing :-O

And people wonder why Frankie and Ellis don't engage with HaloGAF that much anymore....

No shit. All i see now is constant bitching, but it was like that before the game came out too so at least its consistent.

To me, this game is a few little fixes from being really amazing. I wish theyd at least let us know if theres even fixes coming or not. Its always a fucking guessing game with Halo games and patches.

Cross post from OT:

I don't know how well this is known on this forum at least, but did anyone else find this?

R9lET.jpg

It's on the second level, in the area where chief finds out he is on requiem.

It triggers some extra dialogue between the chief and cortana.

Are there any more?

GloveSlap

still no specialization email code :mad:

Me neither, but that is assuming they don't send it to some old email account or something. Why can't they just unlock the specializations for everyone without any code entering BS? Being at a competitive disadvantage because I didn't buy the LE is not cool.

Had to figure out what my password was, never use my hotmail. I haven't received anything either yet, post when you guys start getting the codes in!

blamite

Maybe
Cortana is in there and still alive?

Also that image/memory could be of
New Phoenix?

Hmm,
at first I just assumed the memories would be of ancient humans who were turned into Prometherns or Monitors, but now that you mention that I realized that it would be much more interesting to tie in directly to New Phoenix and show or at least hint at what happened as a result of that composition.
This could actually turn into a really neat way of pushing forward the main game story forward in SpOps.

Top Bottom