• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

FyreWulff

It'd probably be a hell of a lot easier to get a video of the ridiculous aim assist if the file share worked.

If you can't tell, then good for you. Ignorance is bliss.

They're all like that, especially since 2. Bullet magnetism, aim friction, reticule grabbing, it's all there. For purposes of making it work on controller and also for networking reasons.

It's part of the reason I preferred automatics in the previous games because of how the networking works.

S1kkZ

the halo 4 sales numbers in the npd thread are a lot lower than i expected (still great numbers overall though).

releasing against cod was a stupid move, mp changes (i am fine with them) and excluding large parts of the story into some books did not help at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Quoting from the other thread. Patch notes for the TU:

I don't think this was posted yet.. Waypoint actually posted the what the TU did:

"The next time you log into Halo 4, you will be prompted to download a title update. This particular title update tackles actual game and gameplay issues, not sandbox tweaks and balances. We have another TU in the works and will continue working on the timing and content of the next one. For now, here is a change list of what was included in today's title update.

• Implemented general stability improvements
• Fixed glitch where quickly reloading after firing the Boltshot resulted in an instant reload
• Fixed glitch where sprinting prior to activating the Hardlight Shield allowed players to move faster
• Fixed glitch were players could throw a grenade and then immediately sprint afterwards to perform a high velocity grenade
• Fixed glitch where Mantis could fire more rockets without reloading if the machine gun was fired partway through unleashing the charged missile barrage
• Fixed issue where DLC was unavailable for other profiles on the same console
• Fixed issue where DLC disappeared after console reboot
• Fixed issue where players could not unlock Campaign completion achievements when using a rally point other than Alpha for any mission to finish the Campaign
• Fixed issue where players were not given credit for completion of a Spartan Ops Episode Difficulty Challenge when completing it through Matchmaking
• Fixed issue where players with 99 or more Xbox LIVE friends could not get File recommendations
• Fixed issue where loadout configurations were lost if the game was booted and then powered off before passing the “Press START” screen
• Fixed issue where attempting to upload large films to the File Share under poor network conditions caused the upload to fail
• Improved time to load variants with separate profiles
• Fixed issue where moving a profile from one controller port to another after relaunching the game reset loadout settings
• Improved consistency of random ordnance navigation marker display
• Fixed performance issues when launching Halo Waypoint from Halo 4

We will update everyone when we have more information about the next Halo 4 TU. If you'd like to read more about this TU or the upcoming Matchmaking playlist update, please check out the 12.06 edition of the Halo Bulletin."

rakka

the only thing there of any real importance is the fact that loadouts resets have been fixed?

at least there's one frustration I won't have to put up with any more.

progress is peogress

kingocfs

the only thing there of any real importance is the fact that loadouts resets have been fixed?

at least there's one frustration I won't have to put up with any more.

progress is peogress

The best part was, when I downloaded the patch, all of my loadouts reset for the first time ever.

If anyone from Europe or anyone who didn't get the game until after the 20th needs a specialization code PM me. Only have one so whoever sends it first!

Trey

It'd probably be a hell of a lot easier to get a video of the ridiculous aim assist if the file share worked.

If you can't tell, then good for you. Ignorance is bliss.

You must have not been a fan of Halo since CE. Or at least this aspect of the game.

It is what it is.

Played a couple of MP matches...did the TU fuck something up?

All 3 games felt like I was trying to move through molasses with every single motion I tried to do, everything was laggy as fuck.

Felt like I was playing Co-Op Campaign on someone else's host.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Lately all the Big Team games I've been in have been very, very laggy. One was a very literal slide show while I was playing, did not have this problem at launch.

"
• Fixed issue where players with 99 or more Xbox LIVE friends could not get File recommendations
"

Awesome, so now instead of getting a message saying I can't connect to the Halo 4 servers, I get a message saying no files found. Awesome.

darthbob

All 3 games felt like I was trying to move through molasses with every single motion I tried to do, everything was laggy as fuck.

I tried SpOps after applying the TU.

I regret that decision so much.

Edit: I too have a Specialization Code to provide to our EU pals.

FyreWulff

Title Updates reset the hosting choice records on previous Halo games. Probably does the same thing with 4, so it'll probably be a rough day or two as it figures things out.

Anth0ny

woah

played through that level with the giant tank

and the frame rate dropped like a mother fucker when the tank started crossing over the water. I'm talking single digits. it wouldn't stop until i got off the tank

weird

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
woah

and the frame rate dropped like a mother fucker when the tank started crossing over the water. I'm talking single digits. it wouldn't stop until i got off the tank

weird

I had that same thing, but I had parked a Wraith in front of the Mammoth (hoping that it woul be pushed across). I had assumed it was the Wraith blowing up that was causing the slide show.

I don't understand how to properly use the thruster pack AA. Perhaps I'm missing the point but the time it takes to fire and the range of movement you get out of it don't seem like a fair trade off.

Am I missing something?

blamite

woah

weird

When you go around that turn with all the waterfalls, right? I got that 2 out of the 3 times I've played that level. I have no idea how they shipped that.

spanks

Disagree, Reach had some bad maps, but Halo 4's maps need more variety. Haven, Solace and Adrift feel unique, and the rest feel like weird, uninspired maps. They need to get some more variety and less open, rocky maps into this game. I want more small arena maps like Midship, or larger ones like Construct which also added some nice verticality into the mix. Also, I would love for some maps like Guardian or Lockout, built around fall hazards and good callouts, layouts and sightlines. There are too many awkwardly open maps in Halo 4, and even if they aren't awful, they aren't too special IMO. The DLC seems to be continuing this trend, and the DLC seems rather uninspired in terms of fresh art.

I actually agree...I just wish there was more variety in the art across the multiplayer maps. For an example, if you look at Halo 1-3 maps, you've got a snowy map, a desert map, an urban map, a forerunner map, a covenant map, a swamp map etc etc etc.

Halo 4's issue is they all looks boring (except for Haven). How many rocky backgrounds can you have and those UNSC building structures are just lifeless.

Totally. We haven't had an urban map since Halo 2, or a desert since Halo 3. Out of 100+ maps in the franchise, only 2 urban/desert/forest/snowy maps. And yet just Halo 4 has like 4 "rocky" maps (with more on the way), a couple metal Forerunner maps and a few metal UNSC maps. Hopefully future DLC will give us a breath of fresh air.

I don't understand why old maps are never included with the game or with new maps. I really want to see the maps from previous games included with the new game. Imagine Halo 4 shipping with Halo 3 and Reach maps. MW3 shipping with maps from CoD4 and MW2. There would be so much variety and good maps that the gameplay would never get boring.

Yeah, I always thought they were hanging on to those, but they never used them. I'm sure the engines of 3 and Reach are similar enough for it to work without much effort. Even the equipment they were planned around were similar to Halo 4's AAs (e.g. regen field = regenerator, grav-lift = jetpack.)

Seriously, just sell us some straight ports of Sandtrap, Last Resort, Blackout and a few others for 800 allards.

imagine:
a halo game taking place on one single halo ring, which would be fully explorable ala skyrim?

should technically be possible, since the ring is pretty narrow and you could hide the lod pop-ups/fade-in in the curve of the ring. just one level like this in halo 5 or 6 would be fucking amazing. a whole game? i dont know, since there is not much going on (no villages, cities) on a halo ring.

I hope 343 is ambitious enough to do something like this next gen. I understand H4 staying so close to the template, being attached to current-gen tech and also having to prove that they can do traditional "Halo." But Halo 5 needs to take a bold step forward, and an open-world setting on a Halo installation fits perfectly with the CE's sense of wonder and exploration.

As for villages and cities, they could easily make a story reason for those. Maybe a new non-space-faring race? Or maybe even some outlier Elite/Brute/Grunt/Jackal communities? It would be interesting to see them in a context that isn't military.
Or forgo the settlements and make an open-world version of Metroid Prime, isolation and all.

The Halo franchise is in the perfect position to experiment with its single-player because most people just buy it for the multiplayer anyway. Take dem risks 343.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Aim assist is prevalent in all console shooters..what is your argument?
*edit* I do enjoy the predisposition that apparently only YOU are aware of the aforementioned fact. I consider myself in bliss.

His point is it's atrocious in this game. The DMR can literally be centered WAY over the other guy's head, but aim assist/bullet magnetism will put the bullet on the persons head for the kill if the reticule is red.

TheOddOne

Halo series sales hit 50 million
Microsoft's sci-fi shooter franchise reaches new sales milestone; Halo 4 contributes roughly 4 million copies; free-to-enter tournament begins December 17.

Microsoft has now sold 50 million Halo games since the series launched more than a decade ago with 2001's Halo: Combat Evolved. The company announced the news this morning, reiterating that players have spent more than 5 billion hours playing Halo on Xbox Live.

Prior to Halo 4's worldwide launch on November 6, the Halo series stood at 46 million in sales. This suggests Microsoft's newest entry has shifted 4 million copies thus far. Halo 4 generated $220 million in 24-hour revenue at launch, with $300 million expected for its first week.

Fry

Just had the best team slayer of the day. 590 x 590 points each. I have a rail gun loading, the dude is falling on the floor, I'm about to unleash it on him, but a guy behind him hits me on the head with a DMR. I was MVP, but got the last hit. So fucking unfair!!!

Just had the best team slayer of the day. 590 x 590 points each. I have a rail gun loading, the dude is falling on the floor, I'm about to unleash it on him, but a guy behind him hits me on the head with a DMR. I was MVP, but got the last hit. So fucking unfair!!!
Where does it say who is MVP? I was gonna say I miss this from 3.

exYle

Completed all chapters for SpOps but the last achievement isn't unlocking, what's the fix for this?

Solo one of the chapters, or play with a buddy outside of matchmaking. You can do this on any difficulty, so I just did Ep5 Ch1 Solo Easy. It's a great way to knock out the SpOps weeklies, too.

exYle

Can the 'Dedicated to Crimson' achievement be unlocked now or is it still bugged?

I guess it's technically still bugged, but it was never unattainable. Try this:

Solo one of the chapters, or play with a buddy outside of matchmaking. You can do this on any difficulty, so I just did Ep5 Ch1 Solo Easy. It's a great way to knock out the SpOps weeklies, too.

hooray, the update or something happened and fixed the sticky det that was stuck in map on haven. can finally utilize it from the start again.

Fuchsdh

I've failed this weeks first Spartan Ops mission about five times with randoms now... Ughhhh...

I would say that's hard to do, but then I remembered trying to get theEp5Ch4 achievement three days ago... half the time my allies would wander away from the actual generators, or drive the vehicles I had camped to cover the choke points. Then, when I die, I'd spawn in with them halfway across the map.

They really need to add more of these objectives to Spartan ops, because A) it makes there more of a penalty to dying, and B) have to break these people of their stupid habits by more failure.

GamerSoul

They really need to add more of these objectives to Spartan ops, because A) it makes there more of a penalty to dying, and B) have to break these people of their stupid habits by more failure.

True, hopefully we'll get more objectives down the line. I'm fine with anything except timed ones.

I liked that you could fail one of the missions this time around. It's nice to have some perceived stakes in this mode for a change, instead of just constantly heaving yourself at mounds of enemies with no repercussions. More stuff like that, please.

JB1981

Update patch last night and Loadouts get reset for first time ever. Feels bad, man :(

Also I got destroyed last night. Went 6-15 on Complex. I haven't played that bad of a game yet. I am usually positive, sometimes even but never negative. in Slayer games. I feel like my DMR was half a second behind everyone elses last night. I hope they update didn't bork the netcode

Fuchsdh

Update patch last night and Loadouts get reset for first time ever. Feels bad, man :(

Also I got destroyed last night. Went 6-15 on Complex. I haven't played that bad of a game yet. I am usually positive, sometimes even but never negative. in Slayer games. I feel like my DMR was half a second behind everyone elses last night. I hope they update didn't bork the netcode

Or you just had a bad night :)

I'm a pretty big standard average player in most games, but I get into some bad slumps on occasion for which I have no real reason. I actually like the Halo system because when it happened in Starcraft II and tanked my ranking it just made me discouraged rather than "I need to try harder!"

(In other words, Arena 2.0 for ranks sounds good to me.)

I'm going to activate my double XP today and want to get the most out of my 6 matches so I'm doing Spartan Ops + Fast Track.

Which chapter of this week's episode would be the most efficient for this? Need something that is impossible to fail (if all the generators were destroyed, for example) and will consistently give me the most XP which is around 5950.

zlatko

Banned
I got my first Killiminjaro last night.

I was screaming like a giddy school girl into my headset as I passed an Overkill and it kept racking up.

<3 THIS GAME!!!!

Fuchsdh

I'm going to activate my double XP today and want to get the most out of my 6 matches so I'm doing Spartan Ops + Fast Track.

Which chapter of this week's episode would be the most efficient for this? Need something that is impossible to fail (if all the generators were destroyed, for example) and will consistently give me the most XP which is around 5950.

I'd say one of the second or third missions this chapter are fairly easy and should be quick to finish. I usually seem to get the same XP roughly no matter what but it might be because I'm always the top player.

I was told you don't receive double xp from spartan ops.

Top Bottom