• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

Ohwiseone

And he's barely zooming in with the light rifle...

And missing like 60% of his shots.

Should of seen him take something like 10 minutes to try to kill a hunter with a plasma Pistol.

Must say, it was entertaining.

I miss Marty, but the Music is so goood.

sp3000

Should of seen him take something like 10 minutes to try to kill a hunter with a plasma Pistol.

Must say, it was entertaining.

I miss Marty, but the Music is so goood.

Yeah it's good. It doesn't sound like Halo though. It sounds like Homeworld actually

Monocle

OK, so I just finished The Thursday War. SPOILERS FOR THE THURSDAY WAR and such. Seeing as this is a spoiler thread, I'm probably safe to assume this is an unnecessary courtesy. But yeah, read with caution.

As in Glasslands, TTW's best feature is its cast. I really enjoyed getting to know Kilo-Five on a more personal basis. Phillips is likable and easy to root for. He's also an ideal window into the world of the Sangheili. Black Box is still the most interesting and entertaining member of the group by far. I hope the expanded fiction and maybe even future Halo games will give a lot more attention to smart AIs. Their perspective, their life cycle, their relationship with humans; it's all fascinating stuff. Every chapter from BB's point of view was a treat. I also enjoyed spending more time in Parangosky's head. This peppy old bulldog is a first rate antihero. You can't help but love her even though she's the grand poobah behind ONI's most sinister operations. It was thrilling to see her in Judge Dredd mode near the end of the book.

I was less impressed with Naomi getting all sulky over her terrorist father. (This subplot wasn't overly intrusive, I admit, but I have a problem with its underlying premise for reasons I'll go into.) I sympathize with her situation. It's not hard to see the tragedy in her story: a soldier finding out that her father went rogue after he realized she was kidnapped and replaced as a child. On top of that, she's faced with the possibility that her team might have to neutralize him. But to me the whole thing felt a bit contrived. I'm fully aware that my personal bias is in play here. I take issue with the author Karen Traviss's stance on the ethics of the SPARTAN-II program. I also know that elaborating on the repercussions of forcibly recruiting kids into a military program is a valid way to inject some human drama in a story that focuses an awful lot on the more glamorous aspects of war, the exciting spectacle of military might in action. Clearly this is in line with 343's avowed intention to make the Spartans more than faceless soldiers. I suppose I'm just turned off by Traviss's sentimental treatment of the issue. It feels like moral blackmail to me, like she's trying to make readers and players feel bad if they see Spartans purely as the armored badasses Bungie initially presented to us.

One more grievance and then I promise I'll get back to the lighter stuff. It's pretty obvious throughout TTW that Karen Traviss is still committed to vilifying Dr. Halsey. As we know, Halsey has sociopathic tendencies. It turns out she's also a bitch. One fascinating little oddment: apparently it's entirely consistent with antisocial personality disorder to cry yourself to sleep night after night over the death of your daughter. That Halsey, what a creep. Saving mankind with her genius and seeking redemption for her unethical actions and treating her Spartans like family and mourning her daughter and stuff. It must be exhausting to suck so hard. Let's hope Halo 4 shows the character more respect—or at least portrays her more consistently with established canon—than Traviss has. Dr. Halsey is one of my favorite characters (thanks mostly to Eric Nylund's books), OK? I don't want to see her retconned into a one-note mustache twirler.

One subject I'm always happy to read about in Halo books is the Forerunners. TTW certainly didn't disappoint on that count. Between Phillips monkeying around in the temple on Sanghelios, Jul ‘Mdama exploring the Forerunner sites on Onyx/Trevelyan, and all of the delightful conversations with various Engineers (the precious little things. I want one), there were all sorts of tantalizing bits and morsels to add to the puzzle of the Forerunners' motivations and sudden disappearance 100,000 years past. There was also a good deal of fairly blatant foreshadowing for Halo 4. The two most prominent items are the Forerunner portal system and the Didact, and it's likely there's a lot more to unpack. I'll add as a side note that TTW's obligatory pimping of the Infinity (or as I like to call it, Admiral Hood's Magical Space Dong) had its due effect. I am now more hyped than ever to see what humanity does with all that new Forerunner tech. I hope it has greater implications than more sparkly guns, fancier ships, and forced parallels between a newly upjumped humanity and the less savory aspects of the Forerunners.

All in all, TTW is a satisfying followup to Glasslands, a provocative teaser for a certain highly anticipated game, and a firm foundation for a new phase in Halo's fiction. A lot is going to change with Halo 4. I hope the new developments are daring—not out of joint Bungie's vision, but unsafe. I want the story to go to unexpected places and not settle for the reiteration of traditional sci-fi tropes (mad alien who hates humanity, technologically superior society with a vaguely defined grudge against the good guys...you know how it goes). 343 has the freedom to really stretch their creative muscles here, and with a storyteller like Greg Bear in the fold, they also have the imaginative capacity to build a truly grand mythos. As a longtime Halo fan, I care about this franchise. I'm anxious about an untested (but on paper, brilliant) developer continuing where Bungie left off, yet I'm equally excited to see what comes next.

master chief speaking regularly is a HUGE plus for me. along with that eerie yet pronounced music.

great stuff so far. reassuring for single player, but still iffy on multiplayer personally.

I wanna see the legendary ending...

: /

Sometimes the internet is awesome. Right now...it's not.

Google for halo 4 legendary ending, change search options to the past hour or 24 hours.

Ohwiseone

That legendary ending, really does not give away anything huge.

But as i said, 343 is being ballsy as fuck with that legendary ending...I'll be interested in seeing the reaction once the game comes out.

I won't speak of it anymore. If anything...it really really makes me look forward toward the rest of single player.

Monocle

Even on easy the turret does nothing lol.

What a useless armor ability.
Yeah, it's always looked hilariously useless to me. I know it's supposed to be able to distract AI and everything, but who cares if it's as fragile and weak as I've heard? 343 should've made it repel grenades or something.

onken

Seen a bunch of videos around the tube, looks freaking awesome.

Are we allowed to post links to footage or not?

raindoc

Review_DarthVaderTVC_still.jpg

BLAZER

No, its the E3 demo now.

I might stop here i think, i don't want to spoil everything even though i can't resist haha.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the prologue. SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD HOLY CRAP.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So for someone who's only played the games, and hasn't read the book, the Didact is Forerunner right? So now we officially know what Forerunners actually look like?

Had to turn it off, I couldn't watch anymore of it. Seeing the Didact (even though we already knew) was spoiler enough.

So for someone who's only played the games, and hasn't read the book, the Didact is Forerunner right? So now we officially know what Forerunners actually look like?

Yes. He was their head military leader if I remember right.

Don't flame me too much but...visually this looks good. But a far cry from the OMG BEST GRAPHIX EVER that people have been swearing.

It could be the feed but I doubt it'd make a huge difference.

However some of the cutscenes look amazing though.

Simo

Wait...are there 2 CG/Live action intros at the beginning? I really wanted to see the video that the CG stills earlier were posted from but ended up finding another video that was 2 minutes long that looks like it could be the live action commercial and shows John
taking off his helmet....

Top Bottom