• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

Regarding Cortana...

I think this is setting up the introduction for Cortana's successor, a next-generation, sentient AI that is smarter and the closest thing to a cyborg that we have seen. She or he will probably be at odds with the Chief, making things even more interesting for the inevitable reintroduction of Cortana.

That being said, and I know I will get a lot of haters for this, but I am ready to take a break from Jen Taylor's voice. I'm sorry but it gets extremely annoying at times and I've never liked Cortana's smart-ass, overly sarcastic attitude as a character. I know Halsey can put Cortana in her place, but I want to see an AI do it.

So,
So she'll be like EDI? Bummer

AzerPhire

My thoughts on the game and ending:

-It really helps to have read the Karen Travis books as it explains they the Covenant are there and why they are at war again with the UNSC (They are a religous group of Covenant who oppse and are also at war with the Arbiter).

-With regards to Cortana, she has to return in some form. I don't think it will be a 'new' Cortana as the emotional connection between her and the Chief is increased 10x in Halo 4

-The Didact in this game should as far as we know be the Bornstellar Didact as the original was killed by the Master Builder in Cryptum. Also I belive the voice over in the epilogue is from the past with the Didact discussing with other Forerunner's the need to eliminate humanity

-It will be really interesting to see where 343i takes the series as the game ends without any real cliffhangers. MC is back at Earth on the Infiniti and the Didact conflcit is resolved. This also provides a great opportinity to reunite the Chief with Dr. Halsey and the remaining Spartan II's. Possible four player co-op in Halo 5 with MC, Fred, Kelly and Linda? Would be amazing if it could happen.

Flipyap

My thoughts on the game and ending:

-It really helps to have read the Karen Travis books as it explains they the Covenant are there and why they are at war again with the UNSC (They are a religous group of Covenant who oppse and are also at war with the Arbiter).
I don't think this matters all that much. They're just leftovers of the fanatics, the special class of the Covenant. The books don't really add any essential information beyond that short description and they don't really need to, but they might instead end up hurting that part of the in-game story, since none of that space lizard drama carries over and the Elites seem to be treated like animals, a voiceless thing for you to kill while you focus on getting to that one important ANCIENT EVIL.

-The Didact in this game should as far as we know be the Bornstellar Didact as the original was killed by the Master Builder in Cryptum.
Silentium spoilers:
He wasn't. The Silentium book description mentions both Didacts still playing a role in that novel.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Maybe someone can answer this but what is the conditions like of the average citizen/civilian on Earth in Halo during these times? Are people generally oppressed, poor and diseased or are they generally well off like in Mass Effect or Star Trek?

I've only watched these so far: Prologue, Mission 1 "Dawn", Mission 2, Mission 3 "Forerunner", 3 mins of Mission 4 till the video was taken down, and the ending plus legendary ending. Unfortunately I couldn't find any more videos from 4 - 8.

My question to GAFfers that have seen or played the missions 4 - 8. How were they and is there alternate sites to DL or Watch them perhaps?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Maybe someone can answer this but what is the conditions like of the average citizen/civilian on Earth in Halo during these times? Are people generally oppressed, poor and diseased or are they generally well off like in Mass Effect or Star Trek?

It's more like Mass Effect than Star Trek, except no aliens.

Humanity set up some some colonies around our solar system. Mars, our Moon and a few other places. We had some bickering and disagreements, some serious conflicts during this time, typical humanity. We discovered FTL and spread out further. More colonies. With new planets and such the bulk of humanity migrated from Earth.

Mass migration and colonisation, politics and yup, more war. This time, with such vast distances from Earth, political discontent was inevitable, particularly due to the concentration and prosperity of the worlds closer to Earth and the difficulties of the frontier colonies.

Just before the Covenant War, there was a significant Insurrectionist movement against the main governing political body, the UNSC. The insurrection was a serious military threat for the UNSC with the proliferation of nuclear weapons and other technologies. The UNSC determined that humanity was at risk of self-annihilation so they clamped down hard. The Insurrectionists fought back harder.

The SPARTAN-II project and the Spartans was the solution to this problem and their deployment against the Insurrection was initially successful. It's entirely possible that the Spartans could have eliminated the entire Insurrection threat and saved billions of lives by pre-maturely ending the conflict.

The the Covenant was discovered. Entire planets fell silent, never to be heard from again. This sudden and unusual interruption halted the action against the Insurrection momentarily. As the Human-Covenant war progressed, the Insurrectionists tried to use the opportunity. Even up to the fall of Reach, the Insurrectionists were still fighting against the UNSC even though the humanity was facing mass genocide.

The UNSC and the Insurrectionists stopped paying attention to one another. The UNSC abandoned the Insurrectionists and retreated the remaining human population to Reach, Earth and the core inner worlds (colonies closer to Earth). It was assumed the Insurrection died when their home colonies went dark and communications ceased as the Covenant invaded.

Even with all the conflict, the majority of people were trying to get on with their lives. Gardeners, teachers, housewives, shop keepers, vehicle manufacturers. A lot of folks lost their homes and families but everyone struggled onwards. When the UNSC was pushed back to Earth and all the colonies feared lost, again, the survivors continued on trying to live normal lives. There was no mass panic, no breakdown of government.

After the Human-Covenant war? Well that story is still being written.

UrbanGrafix

Neo Member
I've only watched these so far: Prologue, Mission 1 "Dawn", Mission 2, Mission 3 "Forerunner", 3 mins of Mission 4 till the video was taken down, and the ending plus legendary ending. Unfortunately I couldn't find any more videos from 4 - 8.

My question to GAFfers that have seen or played the missions 4 - 8. How were they and is there alternate sites to DL or Watch them perhaps?

I watched the streams but haven't been able to find much since the initial bubble and i've only been able to grab about 40mins of HD quality footage (mainly the start missions) and a few other important ones but the game is definitely good.

After watching the streams etc it makes me wonder what happens in silentium to cause the Librarian to lock the diadact away and put a plan in place to stop him essentially. And with the change in the didacts opinions (based on all released info) it must be something big to cause this shift.

But back to the game, You start off on FOD get bordered as you know then you get sucked into requium after being scanned. You then crash land etc etc etc and then Infinity tracks your signal and also gets sucked in and basically from there you are running around getting in contact with infinity and then getting sent out on missions. Finding stuff out and needing to shut down antennae to talk to the infinity which essentially is a trap which awakens the didact and then a hologram?? (unsure) of the librarian appears and tells John of her plan which has ended up with him in Requium and that he needs to stop the didact. He finally reaches the didact and plants a grenade on him and after that cortana steps in to protect the chief and you get a monologue at the end from the didact speaking to what seems like other forerunners and it ends.

I've prob missed heeps or gotten stuff wrong so don't shoot me lol, but the game looks very good and entertaining.

Conor 419

Banned
I haven't played this game yet. Is the campaign good? How do the large scale encounters compare with the other Halos?

Also, is the story good? Are there creative set pieces or is it solid but boring like Gears 3? Any terrible levels?

Petrichor

I haven't played this game yet. Is the campaign good? How do the large scale encounters compare with the other Halos?

Also, is the story good? Are there creative set pieces or is it solid but boring like Gears 3? Any terrible levels?

I didn't really see any particularly large-scale encounters from what I saw, but I only saw the first three levels and the final two levels (with snippets of the middle). It definitely looks to be slightly smaller scale than say, Halo 3 or Reach - probably on a level with Halo 2.

From what I saw the penultimate level looked pretty lackluster. It's finale of defending... something... in a mantis against wave after wave of covenant seemed pretty dull.

There is a level just after the jungle level which is basically new alexandria with a
flyable pelican

I watched the streams but haven't been able to find much since the initial bubble and i've only been able to grab about 40mins of HD quality footage (mainly the start missions) and a few other important ones but the game is definitely good.

After watching the streams etc it makes me wonder what happens in silentium to cause the Librarian to lock the diadact away and put a plan in place to stop him essentially. And with the change in the didacts opinions (based on all released info) it must be something big to cause this shift.

But back to the game, You start off on FOD get bordered as you know then you get sucked into requium after being scanned. You then crash land etc etc etc and then Infinity tracks your signal and also gets sucked in and basically from there you are running around getting in contact with infinity and then getting sent out on missions. Finding stuff out and needing to shut down antennae to talk to the infinity which essentially is a trap which awakens the didact and then a hologram?? (unsure) of the librarian appears and tells John of her plan which has ended up with him in Requium and that he needs to stop the didact. He finally reaches the didact and plants a grenade on him and after that cortana steps in to protect the chief and you get a monologue at the end from the didact speaking to what seems like other forerunners and it ends.

I've prob missed heeps or gotten stuff wrong so don't shoot me lol, but the game looks very good and entertaining.
DAAAMMN! Sooo Good! Thanks :))

Flipyap

So are these people who are talking about the game get early copies? Or pirated it without ever saying they pirated it? Seriously?
Welcome to the internet. Let me introduce you to a little webzone called "YouTube", it's a virtual place you can visit to watch all kinds of videos, including footage of unreleased games that have been stolen by some jerky jerk. There are even places that let you stream live footage for the entire world. It's quite amazing, you totally should check it out. Again, welcome and enjoy your stay. Seriously.

Was Earth more heavily defended than Reach was? I know it had lots of super MACs but i don't know anything other than that.

I hope the new trilogy isn't just going to be about the Prometheans or whatever the bad guy in halo 4 is, or the Flood (i hope they are gone for good).

delta25

Banned
Was Earth more heavily defended than Reach was? I know it had lots of super MACs but i don't know anything other than that.

I hope the new trilogy isn't just going to be about the Prometheans or whatever the bad guy in halo 4 is, or the Flood (i hope they are gone for good).

You really cant be more protected then Reach was considering it was the base of operations for both Fleetcom and the UNSC. Earth biggest defense against the Covenant was The Cole Protocol which ultimately ended up failing.

The Cole Protocol: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/United_Nations_Space_Command_Emergency_Priority_Order_098831A-1

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4 OST track name based speculation:

Revival, whose revival? And Green and Blue, to whom does it refer?
Warrior-Servant's colors are gray... and blue. It might be The Didact's color. And green. Life, lifeworkers? The Librarian? Maybe it is the Librarian who will be revived?
Green and Blue obviously can have a double meaning, referring to the Chief and Cortana as well.
I don't have much evidence for this, other than a quick mention to the Didact's caste's colors (and possibly his bound-symbol which is blue) and that green generally symbolises life and thus could represent the Librarian.

EDIT i don't want answers referring to actual Halo 4. Seriously, i don't want spoilers, i'm here just to speculate.

Hopefully someone can answer this too from the leaks:

What is Halsey's role in this game? From all the videos I have seen, she is not in a single part of the game. Essentially, what is her "arc" from beginning to end of this game and if she's in it, doesn't she have a few Spartan II's with her? And what becomes of them? Also, how the heck do they find her if she is in the game. I'm so confused lol.

UrbanGrafix

Neo Member

What is Halsey's role in this game? From all the videos I have seen, she is not in a single part of the game. Essentially, what is her "arc" from beginning to end of this game and if she's in it, doesn't she have a few Spartan II's with her? And what becomes of them? Also, how the heck do they find her if she is in the game. I'm so confused lol.

Basically 0. I'm not 100% sure if shes aboard the infinity in the game but in the books shes aboard it.

You do see Halsey in the opening cinematic for campaign but other than that, I'm not aware that shes involved in the game. And the cinematic is most likely aboard the infinity judging by the fact that Halsey is there and since no one is meant to know that shes alive.

Darkmakaimura

She's not in the game anywhere except for that opening cutscene from the leaked walkthrough I saw. However, if I remember correctly she is supposed to make an appearance in the Spartan Ops campaign.

Since Orange/Red Prometheans is the indication that
The Didact Assumes Control of them
, than how is it in Spartan Ops there's still prometheans (6 months after)
under control
since
Didact had been "Temporarily" defeated at the end of Halo 4?

Flipyap

Since Orange/Red Prometheans is the indication that
The Didact Assumes Control of them
, than how is it in Spartan Ops there's still prometheans (6 months after)
under control
since
Didact had been "Temporarily" defeated at the end of Halo 4?
Probably the same way the blue ones are still around over 100,000 years after their "master's" implied demise.
Plus, he clearly wasn't ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL, so I'd guess it's more like they've been reprogrammed or infected with a particularly orange virus (or, more likely, cleared of a blue virus, since those were HIS pets) and there's no good reason for that to be reversed simply because their boss left the stage. I guess that's the one advantage this crappy digital flood has over the analog one.

Deadly

Most likely not in the game because there was a cutscene where the Chief was telling Cortana that if they can get back to Earth, to Halsey, she can fix her

Probably the same way the blue ones are still around over 100,000 years after their "master's" implied demise.
Plus, he clearly wasn't ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL, so I'd guess it's more like they've been reprogrammed or infected with a particularly orange virus (or, more likely, cleared of a blue virus, since those were HIS pets) and there's no good reason for that to be reversed simply because their boss left the stage. I guess that's the one advantage this crappy digital flood has over the analog one.
Very good theory. Thanks :)
Is it most likely the Librarian's doing? Like he said (implying) she turned his "Guardians and Whole World" against him.

Conor 419

Banned

Anyone got anything else to add here?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Regarding the game trailer they released today
Aren't he lines the Didact is saying from the legendary ending? Pretty funny if true, knowing that now

Aren't he lines the Didact is saying from the legendary ending? Pretty funny if true, knowing that now
We're Forerunners - Guardians of all that exists. & Humanity Stands as the Greatest threat in the Galaxy.
are the lines said in the Legendary ending. But I can understand what 343 are leading to fans in speculation of Forerunners being Friend or Foe.

Popeck

No.
They are also heard in the regular after credits sequence.
But it's still kinda interesting to hear in a trailer.

Pitmonkey

Here's a silly question.

Regarding the ending, when Humanity is said to be the greatest threat. If it was indeed a line spoken from 100,000 years ago, why was Humanity a threat to begin with? Can anyone explain this back stories in a nutshell?

"Regarding the ending, when Humanity is said to be the greatest threat. If it was indeed a line spoken from 100,000 years ago, why was Humanity a threat to begin with? Can anyone explain this back stories in a nutshell?

Humanity and the Forerunner were at war before the Forerunner basically reset them back to primitives. Humanity also encountered the Flood 1st and apparently found the cure. This cure was lost in the reset and the Forerunner were unable to replicate it themselves. Humanity is the next holder of the Mantle which is the position the Forerunner hold.

Might not be 100% correct but that what I remember.

Flipyap

Here's a silly question.

Regarding the ending, when Humanity is said to be the greatest threat. If it was indeed a line spoken from 100,000 years ago, why was Humanity a threat to begin with? Can anyone explain this back stories in a nutshell?[/spoiler]
Well, for starters, humanity used to be a massive galactic empire before we got bombed back to stone age by the Forerunners while we were also fighting the Flood for the first(?) time, somewhere along the line we also became immune to it for a while because the Flood felt like it, then the Didact's wife developed a crush on all of us and gave the pre-industrial age humans the keys to the gun pointed at the head of the universe.

Deadly

"Regarding the ending, when Humanity is said to be the greatest threat. If it was indeed a line spoken from 100,000 years ago, why was Humanity a threat to begin with? Can anyone explain this back stories in a nutshell?

Humanity and the Forerunner were at war before the Forerunner basically reset them back to primitives. Humanity also encountered the Flood 1st and apparently found the cure. This cure was lost in the reset and the Forerunner were unable to replicate it themselves. Humanity is the next holder of the Mantle which is the position the Forerunner hold.

Might not be 100% correct but that what I remember.
Whaaaat? Where is this info from??

Hmm this is quite interesting. It states that they didn't find a cure but instead the flood chose not to infect them so humans would be used for revenge against the forerunners. I wonder why that changed when they were encountered in the original Halo. Was it still part of the test to see if humans were worthy of the Mantle?

I believe 1 of the books states the part about the cure.

Lakitu

st5fu
I didn't really see any particularly large-scale encounters from what I saw, but I only saw the first three levels and the final two levels (with snippets of the middle). It definitely looks to be slightly smaller scale than say, Halo 3 or Reach - probably on a level with Halo 2.

From what I saw the penultimate level looked pretty lackluster. It's finale of defending... something... in a mantis against wave after wave of covenant seemed pretty dull.

There is a level just after the jungle level which is basically new alexandria with a
flyable pelican

Well that's disappointing about the scale. I take it there are no scarab like encounters?

Still the level you're describing sounds great, since New Alexandria is one of my favourite missions in the series.

Can you describe it (in tags)?

I know I can't be the only one who has noticed the recent gameplay trailer where it showed Master Chief placing his hands on the "orange glowing"
Contacts; standing in front of the two pillars where the Cryptum is dormant.

Through observation of a YouTube video that a leaker had uploaded previously (which has been removed), this "Glowing" feature was not in that Cutscene in the Didacts Intro... Which is something I'm curious to question why that is so?

Darkmakaimura

Well that's disappointing about the scale. I take it there are no scarab like encounters?

Still the level you're describing sounds great, since New Alexandria is one of my favourite missions in the series.

Can you describe it (in tags)?
I never saw any huge encounters either except for when you're riding on one of those huge multi-storied tanks. It was very reminiscient of the one in Gears of War 2.

I'm not sure but I think the stage similar to New Alexandria he is talking about is where you're flying from one big floating Forerunner "pillar" to the next. That scene looked so grandiose but it's less like a city and more like floating pillars in clouds if I remember. Think of Cloud City from Star Wars somewhat.

Walshicus

Been listening to the Halo 4 soundtrack lately. I'm digging it more than I thought I would.

Anyone else get a massive Final Fantasy 6 vibe from the track "The Beauty of Cortana"?

Lakitu

st5fu
I never saw any huge encounters either except for when you're riding on one of those huge multi-storied tanks. It was very reminiscient of the one in Gears of War 2.

I'm not sure but I think the stage similar to New Alexandria he is talking about is where you're flying from one big floating Forerunner "pillar" to the next. That scene looked so grandiose but it's less like a city and more like floating pillars in clouds if I remember. Think of Cloud City from Star Wars somewhat.

Thanks! I'm excited now.

Markster

So, some of us missed the account suicide that accompanied posting of spoilers all over the main page.

Anyone care to repost what happened there?

Just finished the game on Heroic. So the Legendary ending doesn't offer anything much different this time? I'll still do my playthrough but that's disappointing.

Petrichor

Any hints from the terminals of what the next game might be about? I've only seen 3 or 4 and they mostly just tell us what we already knew about the human-forerunner war.

Alright I'm not going to read any post in here, just want to know if we see Arbiter, Dr.Halsey, Fred, Kelly.

Or all of the above?

Top Bottom