• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

I did say "essentially" her. If you just take the other brains it's pretty much Vanilla Cortana. At her core her personality is Halsey's since it's implanted in her.

No, she is not. That isn't how the AIs in Halo work. She is based off of Halsey and that is it, they are not the same at all.

I took my info straight from Halsey's diary that came with Reach :lol

All she did was say something that Halsey's grandmother told her when she was young and her face resembled a young Halsey. That's it. No where does it even imply that she has the same personality or anything in common with Halsey.

Flipyap

All she did was say something that Halsey's grandmother told her when she was young and her face resembled a young Halsey. That's it. No where does it even imply that she has the same personality or anything in common with Halsey.
Well, there's at least this:
"A collection of lies; that's all I am! Stolen thoughts and memories!"
"It was the coin's fault! I wanted to make you strong, keep you safe..."
"May I speak with you, please?... What's your name? It's very nice to meet you!... You like games? So do I."
"I'm just my Mother's shadow"

Deadly

"I successfully excised all brains from their bodily shells and placed them in cryogenic units. Only seven weeks until my personality transfer is completed"

Moaradin

Well, I got myself spoiled looking at unrelated youtube video comments. At least it isn't much of a surprise for me, so I'm stilll looking forward to the game greatly. It sounds awesome.

"I successfully excised all brains from their bodily shells and placed them in cryogenic units. Only seven weeks until my personality transfer is completed"

Well obviously the personality transfer isn't exactly what the name would imply, because if you read any of the books with Halsey in them you would see they are nothing alike.

Deadly

Well obviously the personality transfer isn't exactly what the name would imply, because if you read any of the books with Halsey in them you would see they are nothing alike.
I did read the books and thought the exact contrary. There's a reason why Halsey risked cloning herself in order to make a Smart AI. It had to be exactly like her, the best.

I don't like what 343 did to the series. Why is someone like
the librarian
drinking
coke zero
?

But really I'm not sure how I feel about the
metal hair

Pitmonkey

Not surprisingly, this is showing up in the Inbox's of Halo 4 players not smart enough to disconnect from XBL.

bbyJY.png

Kibbles

They only do that for people with unlegit copies with a modded Xbox right? I got Halo Reach early as well as MW2 a week early never got banned. I'm hoping I can get Halo 4 early as well, they don't ban for legit copies right?

wwm0nkey

They only do that for people with unlegit copies with a modded Xbox right? I got Halo Reach early as well as MW2 a week early never got banned. I'm hoping I can get Halo 4 early as well, they don't ban for legit copies right?

Yes if you have a real copy you are good. Also people who play it offline will not be saved, the data of what they play offline will still go to Microsoft when they connect.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This is slightly off topic, but I was going through Halo 3 again and the part where MC and Arbiter are in the room and Arbiter kills the Prophet, there are tentacles that come up from underneath the floor. Is that the Gravemind?

Darkmakaimura

I don't like what 343 did to the series. Why is someone like
the librarian
drinking
coke zero
?

But really I'm not sure how I feel about the
metal hair
You're right. Said individual should be drinking Mountain Dew!

halo4gamefuel12pack.png

Edit: Doublepost. Forgot I already just posted. :\

Darkmakaimura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAWB5U6cpx4

People are getting around the MS copyright purge by simply not labeling it as Leaked/Campaign now. Tried to be a hater and report it but it wouldn't work for whatever reason.
Well, success. It now says "Video has been removed by the user."

Halo 4 search doesn't work on Youtube either, by recent videos. Is this Microsoft's doing?
YouTube search is working fine for Halo 4 using the Upload Date filter. There's leaks up right now, but they'll get pulled very soon obviously. Thing is, leaks are getting pulled and then someone else puts them up a few minutes later it seems. Not really sure what MS and 343i could do to stop this. The game is amazing and a lot of hard work went into this, so I really hope these leaks don't hurt the game but with Spartan Ops (which can't be leaked) I doubt it will much.

JackHerer

There is absolutely no way that we have seen the last of Cortana. It would be a very strange decision to kill her off in the first game of the trilogy when she is such a central character. Especially after they did all this character development with her in Halo 4.

Red

I fell asleep after work today and had a dream that Halo 4 had been released and was a meta-narrative on gaming culture and competitiveness. Kids have grown up with the series, being trained as Spartans, and they don't know what else to do but play the game. They are killing machines. Dr. Halsey was a surrogate for gaming corporations, defending her decision to capitalize on the popularity of violence, and the consumers (Spartans) did not mind being exploited.

What is wrong with me

sp3000

There is absolutely no way that we have seen the last of Cortana. It would be a very strange decision to kill her off in the first game of the trilogy when she is such a central character. Especially after they did all this character development with her in Halo 4.

I think she's getting annoying. Chief should just screw her and dump her. This friendzoning thing is going on for too many years.

Flipyap

Guessing aside, did anyone see/hear about any direct hints or dangling plot threads that could lead to a sequel?
Because everything I've seen seems bafflingly self-contained.
I guess the Prom Bots are still a threat (a mindless, leaderless, disorganized, finite threat), but without the Composer, it doesn't seem like this is going to become the Digital Flood Trilogy. I seriously have no idea where the story could go next. Are we now waiting for the real, deadlier Didact?

Deadly

Guessing aside, did anyone see/hear about any direct hints or dangling plot threads that could lead to a sequel?
I guess the Prom Bots are still a threat (a mindless, leaderless, disorganized, finite threat), but without the Composer, it doesn't seem like this is going to become the Digital Flood Trilogy. I seriously have no idea where the story could go next. Are we now waiting for the real, deadlier Didact?
Well there's the legendary ending that alludes to things.

I also just watched the Halo Anniversary terminals and yeah if that wasn't the
real Didact then yes the real one should be an upcoming threat considering 343 Guilty Spark says he's even more dangerous than the Flood

He appears to be the Ur-Didact. The cutscenes showing him being 13-14ft. with Promethean Armor class 12? Which resembles nothing of Bornstellar. Assuming the Terminals and Silentium novel will explain the absence of Bornstellar and leaving only the Ur-Didact within the Cryptum. It took the Flood to acquire a large enough Bio Mass and needing Slipspace technology from the hosts Ships + exact coordinates to travel towards Earth, which took them quite long. And for the Didact, it was quicker for him to travel and use the Composer.

Flipyap

He appears to be the Ur-Didact. The cutscenes showing his 13-14ft. with Promethean Armor class 12? Which resembles nothing of Bornstellar.
And what are you basing this on?
I can't find more specific descriptions of his "new, larger body" following the mutation, but in Primordium "Bornstellar" is described at least as "a massive presence" with "a thick, powerful forearm—mottled gray and blue, the colors of a fully mature Warrior-Servant", Chakas continues describing his time with the new Didact and in the next sentence he mentions his betrayal. There is nothing to suggest that he was suddenly talking about the other one.

And what are you basing this on?
I can't find more specific descriptions of his "new, larger body" following the mutation, but in Primordium "Bornstellar" is described at least as "a massive presence" with "a thick, powerful forearm—mottled gray and blue, the colors of a fully mature Warrior-Servant", Chakas continues describing his time with the new Didact and in the next sentence he mentions his betrayal. There is nothing to suggest that he was suddenly talking about the other one.
If Silentium explains Bornstellar's Metamorphosis in becoming a Promethean, than that'll convince me to believe that the Didact in Halo 4 IS him and not Ur-Didact. But for now I'm precautious to his Identity.

343 is doing what Star Wars fans would do if we could get our hands on a new trilogy.
Take a story, and make it better. Sometimes the creator loses perspective.

Petrichor

Didact seemed to be talking to other forerunners in the epilogue. My thinking is that the forerunner are a big macguffin and the main threat in the subsequent games is the precursors + flood. Either that or we will fight actual forerunners rather than their human slave military.

Also regarding cortana, she says something like "even if halsey created another cortana, it wouldn't be *me* you know." in the penultimate mission, which makes me think that a new cortana will be in the followup games, but without the memories of halo1-4.

Also, I haven't seen the cutscene (would love to if someone has the link!) but I'm not sure how much the chief's brevet mutation is explored in this game - which could be elaborated upon in further games I suppose.

From what I've seen of the story I'm reasonably impressed. There are things that I think could have been handled better (I don't think the game ever really recaptured the loneliness of halo 1 as its only one mission before you're introduced to the UNSC all over again, also there's absolutely no reason for the covenant to be in the game other than 343 not being confident enough in themselves to completely revamp the enemy sandbox, resulting in a half-arsed covenant with only grunts, jackals elites and hunters, and the new promethean faction being underdeveloped and not particularly interesting), but as a story it probably works better than halo 2, halo 3, odst or reach.

Darkmakaimura

I'm curious if there's any other races out there besides the one's we've heard of already (Presursors, Forerunners, Covenant races and Flood). Doesn't the series primarily take place in only the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy? Since we don't have anything as advanced as things like Mass Relays allowing travel over the galaxy, it makes me wonder if they're going to ever introduce a new threat or even ally in the Halo universe.

Flipyap

I'm curious if there's any other races out there besides the one's we've heard of already (Presursors, Forerunners, Covenant races and Flood). Doesn't the series primarily take place in only the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy? Since we don't have anything as advanced as things like Mass Relays allowing travel over the galaxy, it makes me wonder if they're going to ever introduce a new threat or even ally in the Halo universe.
I wouldn't count on ever getting a new combat effective ally, based on the fanbase's reaction to hugging it out with Elites and subsequent almost complete removal of that aspect of the story from this new "saga".

Darkmakaimura

I wouldn't count on ever getting a new combat effective ally, based on the fanbase's reaction to hugging it out with Elites and subsequent almost complete removal of that aspect of the story from this new "saga".
I figured there might be some mysteries yet to solve. I'm not that in the know regarding Halo lore so I'm not sure if even another race was ever hinted at in the past. I am confused about the Flood, although. I read on the wikis that the Flood came to the galaxy on automated ships of unknown origin from another galaxy but that they were created by the Precursors.

Zeal

Banned
Regarding Cortana...

I think this is setting up the introduction for Cortana's successor, a next-generation, sentient AI that is smarter and the closest thing to a cyborg that we have seen. She or he will probably be at odds with the Chief, making things even more interesting for the inevitable reintroduction of Cortana.

That being said, and I know I will get a lot of haters for this, but I am ready to take a break from Jen Taylor's voice. I'm sorry but it gets extremely annoying at times and I've never liked Cortana's smart-ass, overly sarcastic attitude as a character. I know Halsey can put Cortana in her place, but I want to see an AI do it.

JackHerer

Well you technically never see the Didact die.... He just falls off the platform into the abyss below Star Wars style. Not totally out of the question for him to have found a way to survive the nuclear blast. Plus you do hear him narrating the epilogue.

Maybe the Terminals will shed some light on potential threads for a sequel.

Flipyap

The shit where you had to play as the arbiter sucked, but I hated almost all of Halo 2.
And I'm posting here because the shit where you play as the Arbiter (well, the cutscenes surrounding said shit) made me like the Halo universe.

Regarding Cortana...

I think this is setting up the introduction for Cortana's successor, a next-generation, sentient AI that is smarter and the closest thing to a cyborg that we have seen. She or he will probably be at odds with the Chief, making things even more interesting for the inevitable reintroduction of Cortana.
"The closest thing to a cyborg that we have seen" is the Master Chief. And Lord Hood. And Kat. Because they are, in fact, cyborgs.

Well you technically never see the Didact die.... He just falls off the platform into the abyss below Star Wars style. Not totally out of the question for him to have found a way to survive the nuclear blast. Plus you do hear him narrating the epilogue.

That's true, but... wouldn't that be pretty much the absolute worst thing they could do?
The epilogue sounds like a motivational speech that took place some 100,000 odd years prior, I wouldn't get hung up on its placement within the campaign's progression.

IHaveIce

Banned

It would just be totally dumb if that was all about th Didact, I mean everywhere is as ad for Halo 4 "an ancient evil awakens" and this is the end for it ? Really weak in my opinion.

Hoping for Gravemind return or something along the lines of a primordial.

Top Bottom