• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 active players is the highest since Halo 3 (even before the free play period)

Why did HCS drop breakout? I didn't play it much but it seems pretty competitive, also reminds me a bit of Counterstrike with the round based system that's super heavy on tactics and positioning.

Why did HCS drop breakout? I didn't play it much but it seems pretty competitive, also reminds me a bit of Counterstrike with the round based system that's super heavy on tactics and positioning.

High level breakout is a game of camping and see who is less patient. It is super boring to both play and watch. Low TTK and no respawn does not fit Halo's core competitive ruleset.

Breakout was no more tactical or requiring of good position than Slayer or Strongholds.

I guess I'll repeat myself

I was referring that it was closer to counter strike in term of tactics and positioning

High level breakout is a game of camping and see who is less patient. It is super boring to both play and watch. Low TTK and no respawn does not fit Halo's core competitive ruleset.

I see, but I feel that's a problem that could have been rectified by giving the attackers an incentive to press the offensive. Certainly something salvageable.

I'm pretty happy about this. It's a good mix of competitive gameplay, impressive forge potential, with Firefight.

This also means more people can try my maps.

No, the tactics and positioning used in breakout are closer to something like CS than normal Halo gameplay. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm for you to understand?

Maybe you should actually play Counter Strike

They share literally nothing other than being round based. Like, at all.

I see, but I feel that's a problem that could have been rectified by giving the attackers an incentive to press the offensive. Certainly something salvageable.

The risk of attacking is way, way too high with best of 9 formats. In CS it's best of 30 and you have economy into the mix plus it is 5v5.

I do actually play Counterstrike tyvm for the concern.

The risk of attacking is way, way too high with best of 9 formats. In CS it's best of 30 and you have economy into the mix plus it is 5v5.

I'd say map design, asymmetrical gun balance and smoke grenades are a big reason why attacking works in CS. The 9 rounds isn't the big problem nor is the economy IMO.

TrounceX

Round based, single life, fast kill times. Do you even play Halo or are you just being deliberately obtuse? The analogy of a CS round makes perfect sense.

Fucking well deserved 343, you've been putting in the work since launch without objectively faltering on that front. It's almost like you planned Halo 5 as a service :)

I've had my personal issues with connectivity and regional playing from Australia on and off but the steady stream of free content through game modes, network tweaks, maps, rank tweaks and fucking brilliant gunplay, sandbox of weapons/vehicles and movement really shines brightly. A masterstroke IMO. You deserve massive appeal for this title in its current form as well as sustained sales for the Xbox One.

I have to say after months of hell with this title your regional selection and Australian matching/dedicated server quality has become top shelf and second to none. Fucking impressive these days and has me coming back each day I have time to play games; with or without a group of friends. You're even getting star players from Australia I used to play with in Halo 3 back to the fold of playing ranked Arena daily. I'm impressed and a happy Halo fan again. Thanks.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Insane. I need to try this out again.

Played a handful of matches back at launch, but for whatever reason, dropped it. Never did that with a halo before..

SwolBro

Banned
They really did do a great job with this game. It's what Halo 4 should have always been. Hopefully they only continue to improve from here on out.

Voliko

Not surprising, it easily has the best MP since 3. Shame about all the re-used assets for the maps though.

Leyasu

Banned
Better be a goddam Scorpio launch title together with Forza 7 to make all dem teraflops pur
like a kitten.

Launch will be halo 3 anniversary. Which hopefully will drop the stupid switching so as not waste resources. Halo 6tf will be in 2018..

After the Pro's voted to drop it from the HCS, 343 has forgotten about it.

SOOOOOOO glad they wasted time on that mode.

Me too. Especially when they could have made some real BTB maps instead.

I really hope H6 multiplayer acts just as an expansion to H5's. It's too good to risk losing.

Agreed. I'm still mixed about the spartan charge, but the rest is easily the best mp on consoles at the moment.

Now give us a datacenter selection option 343.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Insane. I need to try this out again.

Played a handful of matches back at launch, but for whatever reason, dropped it. Never did that with a halo before..

It does have a higher learning curve. I had a few friends play the beta and not get it, because they weren't immediately good at it. I'm slowly convinced one to pick it up, though.

Nutter

I can't believe that. Halo 3 sold 15 million copies, and was the #1 most played game on XBL from 2007-2009 when MW2 came out.

There's no way a game with not even 1/3 of the sales can have a higher Active Players than Halo 3 at the same point in time. (May 2008)

EDIT: Wait, since Halo 3 means it's excluding Halo 3.

I believe it. Reach and Halo 4 were pathetic in terms of Player Population after launch. Good job on fixing a problem you created 343...

Because 343 created Halo Reach. Oh wait...

shoreu

I honestly hope halo 6 comes out on the next Xbox not the Scorpio and is not cross compatible. Take your time and make a huge ass all out game

Ushay

Multiplayer is sublime, its well deserved. Can't wait for the next game, I can only imagine what it's is going to be like on Scorpio.

emrober5

Halo 5 disk pretty much stays in my xb1. The multiplayer is great, even if I'm not very good. Firefight was a great addition too.

Now hopefully the campaign in halo 6 is an improvement. I didn't hate it as much as others, but it could be better.

No, the tactics and positioning used in breakout are closer to something like CS than normal Halo gameplay. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm for you to understand?

I'll give you an answer, breakout is fundamentally different when it comes to game-play mechanics and strategy. While the gun-play is the same, you start off with different weapons, have no shield but slightly more health (which leads to a lower time to kill), and no radar. The pro's complained that it was such a radically different game mode compared to everything that is in rotation, and that too many matches ended up a 1v1 camp fest stalemate.

I personally enjoyed playing this mode a lot with my buddies, but they killed the playlist for my friends and I when they added all those stupid community forge maps. I'm also surprised that 343i hasn't hosted a breakout specific tournament either.

Murdoch

re-purchased an xbox one this weekend. The game has massively improved since launch and the controls finally feel tight. Good job 343 : )

n7SVbr3.gif

I think the answer is, Yes!

EGM1966

Well it is best MP (from my admittedly brief playtime) since H3.

Pity they messed up SP but MP is solid and 60fps feels great. I wonder if they wouldn't be better served focusing more on MP going forward? The SP feels like a trainwreck narratively now. But I guess they can't leave it hanging.

Laws00

Good good. But i am less engaged in this halo then I've ever been in the series. Maybe because all mt friends left/dropped the game and im the only one playing

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
i wonder how many play breakout? that mode was really hyped up before launch but i dont hear much about it. i also think its trash personally.

Breakout should just be a variant of SWAT.

It's in this weird place where there's no shields, but it's not insta-headshot like SWAT either, so it just winds up being frustrating.

Naked Lunch

The online vs mp gameplay is just that good. And once you get a feel for H5, and try to play other shooters - a lot of them come up short in comparison. The aim and movement of H5 is simply unparalleled this gen - player skill 100% trumps all in this game. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Omni

Good to know.

I'd play more if REQs weren't a thing (No, 343i. I don't believe implementing a gambling system into your game as the only means of unlocking gear is a good thing. Irregardless of where the profits are supposedly going) and if they didn't completely screw up the story.

"since Halo 3" is a pretty telling qualifying statement. It's definitely not doing as well as Microsoft would like. The MP and SP aren't as disappointing as Halo 4 so that probably helps a lot. Hopefully they continue the the trend with Halo 6. 343i seems like they're finally getting the hang of this.

Just fix the Firefight respawn time. Infuriating.

Nah, firefight beta was a piece of piss because you could charge blindly into there action knowing if you died you'd be back in no time. There wasn't much downside to dying and it was almost impossible to lose.

Halo 6 going to be huge.

Let's hope so. The multiplayer is fantastic and even though it has flaws, I can't wait to see where the campaign story goes next.

anothertech

So, as good as 4? Not surprising. 4's player base was abysmal. At first I thought they meant as good as 3, but that's not possible.

Not sure this is somthing to celebrate.

I really couldn't get into 5 mp. It didn't feel right to me. Might have been the comparison after playing Destiny I think.

Top Bottom