• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Bombadil crushes the character limit

NinjaBoiX

You are "pleading" people to read your lame Halo fan fiction? Why? I thought the whole idea was just, you know, for fun?

Anyway, yeah, sorry OP, I have little frame of reference, even having played all the games, but it's still not very good.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hey.

Bombadil

Banned
You are "pleading" people to read your lame Halo fan fiction? Why? I thought the whole idea was just, you know, for fun?

Anyway, yeah, sorry OP, I have little frame of reference, even having played all the games, but it's still not very good.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hey.

I was pleading because far too many people are immediately turned off by the length of it and choose to post "lol tldr" comments.

I was totally gonna read the whole thing until i read that.

The reason I wrote "or somewhere, it doesn't matter" is because I wanted to let the reader know that that particular detail is completely irrelevant to the plot of the game. It really doesn't matter where the Chief is living in seclusion, just that he is living in seclusion. I put that in there in parentheses as a pre-emptive response to any poster who thought to ask unnecessary questions about details that really don't matter. It's not an erotic fanfiction; it's an idea for Halo 5's video game plot. I'm disappointed that people stopped reading there just because they assumed it would get worse. I think, and I don't want to toot my own horn, that there are good parts in there, worthy of consideration. At the very least, splitting the game up into multiple character perspectives is a better way to tell a story than having just the player experience the narrow viewpoint of the Chief.

I was pleading because far too many people are immediately turned off by the length of it and choose to post "lol tldr" comments.

The reason I wrote "or somewhere, it doesn't matter" is because I wanted to let the reader know that that particular detail is completely irrelevant to the plot of the game. It really doesn't matter where the Chief is living in seclusion, just that he is living in seclusion. I put that in there in parentheses as a pre-emptive response to any poster who thought to ask unnecessary questions about details that really don't matter. It's not an erotic fanfiction; it's an idea for Halo 5's video game plot. I'm disappointed that people stopped reading there just because they assumed it would get worse. I think, and I don't want to toot my own horn, that there are good parts in there, worthy of consideration. At the very least, splitting the game up into multiple character perspectives is a better way to tell a story than having just the player experience the narrow viewpoint of the Chief.
That's your opinion. I disagree. It can make the story feel bigger, sure, but bigger isn't neccesarily better.

Bombadil

Banned
That's your opinion. I disagree. It can make the story feel bigger, sure, but bigger isn't neccesarily better.

Halo, both in the games and the books, is presented as a grand, epic story. However, that epic story in the video game is bottlenecked because we as the player can only experience from the point of view of one character. To offset this mistake, the cutscenes in the game are used to convey information to the player that he otherwise could not figure out on his own because of the bad gameplay design.

George R. R. Martin presents the scope of the Game of Thrones series with many character perspectives because otherwise it would suck. You disagree with me that the story would be better if there were more characters? Well, the story either sucks or it doesn't. If you think the story is good, then explain to me why such a good grand story that Halo undoubtedly is, is being gimped by a single character perspective? The story of the Halo universe is already big. To tell that story effectively requires multiple characters.

Top Bottom