• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

SpartanN92

Banned
In Escalation, he gets his helmet cracked by the Didact - although there's a large hole in his visor in the comic, so maybe this damage is different.

He gets that helmet replaced at the end of Escalation... and Chief's visor is completely intact in the level 'Blue Team'.

Something happened again in Halo 5...Did Locke give him this black eye?

Holy crap! Even I didn't realize the scene in the prologue where the Chief does that amazing running backflip move off that Brute Chieftain's head was a direct continuation of the scene from Halo 3's Starry Night trailer. It fits pretty much perfectly. You see the brutes on the ground, and the Chieftain was in the middle of the pack.

That's insane. You learn something new everyday. :)

edit: Man, this site has instantly become one of my favorite sites. I love this guy's descriptive writings of each level from the Halo 4 campaign.

My mind is BLOWN

EsgyUmj.gif

Just noticed Master Chief's visor is cracked in that clip of Blue Team, I wonder if Locke has anything to do with that.

Has anybody noticed that Master Chief's Visor is cracked in this cutscene?

dfiE4rP.png

In Escalation, he gets his helmet cracked by the Didact - although there's a large hole in his visor in the comic, so maybe this damage is different.

He gets that helmet replaced at the end of Escalation... and Chief's visor is completely intact in the level 'Blue Team'.

Something happened again in Halo 5...Did Locke give him this black eye?

I see everyone is catching up with me from page 14. :(

HIs visor is cracked in the desert scene from the reveal trailer, so we knew it was going to happen.

Glass

Loving the look of Chief in 5, subtle changes but I much prefer it to 4's. Just hope he doesn't rustle when he moves now.

Loving the look of Chief in 5, subtle changes but I much prefer it to 4's. Just hope he doesn't rustle when he moves now.

Now you have 4 Spartans all rustling and moving at once, that's 4x more rustling. Hell when Osiris and Blue Team meet up, that's 8x more rustling, act fast you don't want to miss out. Pre-order now!

Frog-fu

Banned
If people want to understand more, then they should look into the other forms of media. It isn't 343i's job to pack and rehash every little detail in the games. It would be nice, but it would affect the story they're trying to tell in some fashion because we can't have all our cake and eat it too. I want to spend more time exploring new territory in the story rather than going over old ground already covered in one form or another. I have no problem including some of that in Halo 5 as a means of setting up the overall story they're trying to tell, but let's not get crazy with how much they need to accommodate people who don't follow the larger universe fiction.

They can tell a perfectly good story even if there should be a lot of people who can't follow every single detail. People who read the fiction obviously got even more out of Halo 4, and that's not 343i's fault. It's the fault of people who chose not to explore the other pieces of Halo fiction. But it's all still available. Better late than never.

I don't agree with this one bit, and I tend to cut 343i more slack than most people.

The games are the true foundation of the Halo franchise. It's the mainstream game-only consumers that keep this franchise alive and thriving. It's great that 343i, as Bungie before them, makes the effort of producing more material that enriches the lore and enhances the experience for the more ardent fans that like to read the books. However, a problem arises when the expanded material isn't just supplementary anymore but required reading that is absolutely vital to understand the context of the games. That places an unreasonable burden on the fans of the franchise that make up the majority: keep up and read and consume everything they put out beyond the games, or be left behind and confused as you play the games.

That's bullshit. It is well within 343i's means to produce material that comes on the disk that fills in the gaps for those of us that aren't caught up with the books and comics or those that haven't read any at all, but 343i clearly don't care.

Which begs the question, are they really even that interested in expanding the franchise to be as inclusive and accesible as possible as they're supposed to, are they so caught up in their desire to tell a story that they're not bothered with whether or not the majority of their fans can keep up?

Bungie had the right idea and produced books that enhanced the experience of hardcore Halo fans. The books were rewarding in their own right.

343i makes them and the comics required reading and punishes those that don't and that is absolutely 100% 343i's fault.

Halo 5's story has to stand out on its own. You can't fall back on "go read this terrible Escalation comic to understand who these characters are" or "go read this novel to find out about this place". Its your duty, as a storyteller, to properly introduce and develop your various story elements on its own merits. You can't assume the millions of potential players are gonna know who the hell Blue Team is. I surely don't, I'm a big fan of the franchise. These characters are gonna have to work within the narrative itself.

Akai__

Halo 5's story has to stand out on its own. You can't fall back on "go read this terrible Escalation comic to understand who these characters are" or "go read this novel to find out about this place". Its your duty, as a storyteller, to properly introduce and develop your various story elements on its own merits. You can't assume the millions of potential players are gonna know who the hell Blue Team is. I surely don't, I'm a big fan of the franchise. These characters are gonna have to work within the narrative itself.

I completely agree with that. But if this is anything to go by, then it's not looking too good:

Obviosuly, I don't know if 343i has anything planned in that regard and they could still do a great job explaining characters and everything else, but the image has me worried. I really hope there is a very long intro, that explains a coupple things. Otherwise it will end up like Halo 4, where people ask "Who is Blue Team" instead of "Who is the Didact/Librarian?" months later.

jem0208

Thanks for just lying to folks Frankie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0hUqbZv-s&feature=youtu.be&t=45m38s

Explain how this isn't a backtracking of what you previously said please.

Also, where is that explanation for MCC you guys said was coming?
Josh Holmes on the whole campaign co-op thing:
We've never had any plans for matchmaking in co-op campaign. If Frankie said that once, he definitely misspoke. Which, as MeanBean mentions above, happens sometimes when you're speaking off the cuff in front of people. It's hard when everything you say goes under a microscope.

As far as why we didn't spend time supporting it, Frank's GAF post covered that, plus there was never much interest from players. We saw that in response to surveys as well w/ low participation in matchmade co-op for Halo: Reach. Playing co-op with friends is much more fun.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/?p=558289

So i'm hearing from a couple peeps I trust that this game is shaping up to be pretty incredible. Some serious hyperbole coming my way and they know I hated 4

0_o

BokehKing

Banned
Wait so no matchmaking for the campaign?

Hmm sounds like they are being over protective like bungie and destiny. If we end up with trolls and bigots, it's a risk people are willing to take.

link1201

So i'm hearing from a couple peeps I trust that this game is shaping up to be pretty incredible. Some serious hyperbole coming my way and they know I hated 4

0_o
If they didn't muck it up too much from the beta, it'll be my favorite just due to how much fun I'll have playing MP.

Hmm sounds like they are being over protective like bungie and destiny. If we end up with trolls and bigots, it's a risk people are willing to take.

I think they are betting on the free 14 day gold trial included with every copy of halo 5.

So if you have gold and your friend didnt, and you both buy this game, you both can co-op together for two weeks! (or 4 if you give your gold trial to your friend)

Now if you dont have any friends and already had gold yet you want to co-op, then you are sol i guess. :(

But then again, if you don't have friends do you really want to co-op with strangers in random matchmaking? Or do you want to matchmake with random people so you can plasma pistol their vehicle or shout an ending spoiler to those playing the game the first time!? Oh the choices matchmaking makes with campaign.

You know after thinking about it it makes sense here... 90% of people probably play the campaign once and do away with it and then there are a a minority of people that play the campaign multiple times and of those even a smaller percentage will play coop. It really doesn't make a ton of sense to throw time and money to add this when it will be DOA a few weeks after launch anyways.

This isn't a destiny type situation as that games missions were meant to be played over and over as part of the grind. I can with almost 99% certainty ensure that people are not replaying destiny missions because they enjoyed them and want to revisit them.

I wonder how many death threats Stinkles gets after this one. It's gotta suck sometimes having people know your identity on almost entirely anonymous forums.

So they get to get away with lying? How is that ok?

Someone should catch those wascally wabbits!

They clarified that he misspoke. It happens. It wasn't like they released an article in a magazine saying co-op without gold was in.. ;)

But still, it happens, why are you so angry?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

0_o

how is real life cboat? ;)

while the beta ensured i'd love halo 5, everything else indicates that its shaping up to be an incredible return for the series. cant wait to see the reaction of the gaming media and forum goers.

Madness

0_o

You can just see the difference here too. So many people who hated Halo 4 and didn't play it beyond the first month, played the hell out of the H5 beta and are so excited for the game.

I do think, regardless of any design decisions, this game was always going to be better in some people's minds than Reach or Halo 4 because they NEED it to be.

Leyasu

Banned

0_o

Nice. The beta was already probably the best multiplayer that I have played and it was missing one very important feature for me.

If thy keep their promises, then I cant really see me playing anything else for a long time. Plus I'm dying to co-op this on legendary as well.

spootime

Has 343 detailed how they plan to approach the esports scene with Halo 5? I know they're doing the HCS thing atm but I haven't really watched much.

spootime

Not really. Just gave a small glimpse of Spectator Mode at GamesCom and announced a $1+ million prize pool.

Thats more then I knew, thanks. It would be cool to see mlg pick up halo again as well. I wonder if 343 will run their own events or work with a 3rd party like ESL or MLG or something.

The thing is Halo 5's story will stand on its own, just like Halo 4's did. You understood the aspects of the story fully that the game felt you needed to. If you wanted a deeper understanding of it all, then you would read into the extended fiction.

The same exact thing happened with Halo CE. You learned significantly more about key characters and details about the universe from reading Halo: Fall of Reach. Same happened with Halo 2 with the book Halo: First Strike. It has always been more rewarding to read into the extended fiction, dating as far back as the original xbox. This isn't something that 343i just now started doing imo. What I think 343i is doing a lot better is more strongly tying together information from the books with what's in the games. It still ends up amounting to the same thing more or less. You are rewarded for following the extended fiction.

It wasn't important for people who played Halo 4 to know who Jul M'dama was. He wasn't a major concern then. They will clearly do more to inform players of who he was in Halo 5, as evidenced by Palmer directly name dropping him in the opening cutscene. Everything we needed to know in Halo 4 in order to follow the story, we were pretty much given. If you wanted to dig deeper and have greater understanding of it all, then that's where the books come in. I mean, they shouldn't have to literally spell out everything for us. The games shouldn't have to work that way because the books don't literally spell out every detail of what transpires in the games either. If you want to know more about a particular story thread, then you should seek out the piece of media by which you can acquire that additional knowledge.

My mind is BLOWN

EsgyUmj.gif

I had a similar reaction myself. :)

Monocle

Thanks for just lying to folks Frankie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0hUqbZv-s&feature=youtu.be&t=45m38s

Explain how this isn't a backtracking of what you previously said please.

Also, where is that explanation for MCC you guys said was coming?
Lol, so rude.

Frankie: Is it true you wear a bald cap just so people will think you are cool? Just how much of a phony are you, Frankie?

DYTmSiJm.jpg

0_o
Cautiously hyped...

I wonder which REQ cards can't be earned in game: (italics mine)

REQ Store: Players can easily access the REQ Store from the Spartan Hub, which will allow them to acquire REQ Packs. It’s worth noting that aside from a few select exclusive items, everything in REQ System can be acquired through the regular course of play by earning REQ Points and redeeming them for REQ Packs.

I like the idea when it comes to skins and armor, stances and animations - not so much with the game-changing stuff like dropping in a tank or sniper rifle or buffs.

Top Bottom