• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

Bessy67

I wonder which REQ cards can't be earned in game: (italics mine)
I'd guess the retailer exclusive stuff. There are a couple different weapons/skins you can get depending on where you preorder.

Edit: After checking around I guess not. Apparently all the preorder stuff will be in the game for everyone, you just have access to it right away if you preorder from select stores.

Sai

Man, the Wraith looks weird. It wasn't like that in Halo 4, was it?

[EDIT] - Foehammer... ;_;

A Legendary Pistol? The hand cannon has returned.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks for just lying to folks Frankie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0hUqbZv-s&feature=youtu.be&t=45m38s

Explain how this isn't a backtracking of what you previously said please.

Also, where is that explanation for MCC you guys said was coming?

Could you please explain what I lied about? You linked to an hour long panel.

And please understand...

If I am saying something at ComicCon, which couldn't be more public, and it's false, then it's either:

1. A mistake
2. It later changed
3. A joke

Since I don't know which part of the hour long video you're referring to, and you decided to go straight to "liar!" Could you at least explain why you think I'd deliberately do something so dumb? And what my long term gain would be?

Actually I don't care. Say whatever you like. Peace.

Bsigg12

Could you please explain what I lied about? You linked to an hot long panel.

And please understand...

If I am saying something at ComicCon, which couldn't be more public, and it's false, then it's either:

1. A mistake
2. It later changed
3. A joke

Since I don't know which part of the hour long video you're referring to, and you decided to go straight to "liar!" Could you at least explain why you think I'd deliberately do something so dumb? And what my long term gain would be?

The time stamp was at 45:38 where you're answering a question about matchmaking for campaign.

Could you please explain what I lied about? You linked to an hour long panel.

And please understand...

1. A mistake
2. It later changed
3. A joke

Actually I don't care. Say whatever you like. Peace.

You may have been mistaken, but a kid (at least he sounded like a kid) asked about Co-Op and you replied that Co-Op would also be match-made. Most likely a mistake, or not enough information at the time. I doubt you would have lied outright knowing people would call you on it.

Madness

Lying is different than misspeaking. Lying means you're deliberately trying to deceive someone, saying something you know is false. Misspeaking is a mistake where you erroneously say something that isn't or later turns out to be not true. How can anyone watch that and think Frank was lying to fans?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You may have been mistaken, but a kid (at least he sounded like a kid) asked about Co-Op and you replied that Co-Op would also be match-made. Most likely a mistake, or not enough information at the time. I doubt you would have lied outright knowing people would call you on it.

Both, but entirely my fault.

Obscured

I'm sad there will be no co-op matchmaking, though I understand the reasons. I like replaying campaign, but much prefer it with others, even randoms. Most on my friends typically are one and done, so matchmaking in Reach for example was nice for me.

Having the A.I. should fill that void though, that will be nice.

Oct 27 will be here quick enough, but these last few weeks are getting painful.

I'm sad there will be no co-op matchmaking, though I understand the reasons. I like replaying campaign, but much prefer it with others, even randoms. Most on my friends typically are one and done, so matchmaking in Reach for example was nice for me.

Having the A.I. should fill that void though, that will be nice.

Oct 27 will be here quick enough, but these last few weeks are getting painful.

Yup, always is when I am anticipating the release of a game that I really, really want. The most painful is the last couple of days before release. My heart starts pounding whenever I start thinking that the game is just couple of days away. Then the last night, so hard for me to sleep.

Trey

The thing is Halo 5's story will stand on its own, just like Halo 4's did. You understood the aspects of the story fully that the game felt you needed to. If you wanted a deeper understanding of it all, then you would read into the extended fiction.

The same exact thing happened with Halo CE. You learned significantly more about key characters and details about the universe from reading Halo: Fall of Reach. Same happened with Halo 2 with the book Halo: First Strike. It has always been more rewarding to read into the extended fiction, dating as far back as the original xbox. This isn't something that 343i just now started doing imo. What I think 343i is doing a lot better is more strongly tying together information from the books with what's in the games. It still ends up amounting to the same thing more or less. You are rewarded for following the extended fiction.

It wasn't important for people who played Halo 4 to know who Jul M'dama was. He wasn't a major concern then. They will clearly do more to inform players of who he was in Halo 5, as evidenced by Palmer directly name dropping him in the opening cutscene. Everything we needed to know in Halo 4 in order to follow the story, we were pretty much given. If you wanted to dig deeper and have greater understanding of it all, then that's where the books come in. I mean, they shouldn't have to literally spell out everything for us. The games shouldn't have to work that way because the books don't literally spell out every detail of what transpires in the games either. If you want to know more about a particular story thread, then you should seek out the piece of media by which you can acquire that additional knowledge.

I had a similar reaction myself. :)

I can safely say Halo 4's story did not stand on its own. A whole bunch of pivotal characters come out of fucking nowhere if the only media you ever consumed were the games. And even if you did follow the extended universe, the story of Halo 4 was still incomplete, because much of the supplemental plot was explained in terminals that you had to access outside the game in the Halo way point app.

It's why people were so confused you were fighting elites again. As far as they knew, after 3, they were allies. Cortana's throwaway line about them being a splinter faction was not nearly enough to contextualize the Storm. But it was further explained in a terminal.

Poor form all the way around.

Kibbles

Game looks real nice and clean overall but man those waterfalls are pathetic looking. They look like they were taken straight from games a few generations ago.

Both, but entirely my fault.

Should have expected as much... you are a known liar after all. :)

104294-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-SGL1.gif

Halo 4's story works fine as a supplement to the original Halo Trilogy, and while you can kinda glean the basics from gameplay, you still aren't getting anywhere near the wealth of information (so much, so fast) during actual playtime that you are in the original titles. Let me put it this way: I can appreciate Halo 4 for what it is just like I can appreciate Halo 3, 2, and 1 for what they are - but I didn't have to sit down and watch all the terminals, read a few books and thumb through Haruspis level analyses to actually appreciate the original trilogy.

H5G is looking to alleviate that, considering they basically summed up Escalation in the opening cutscene.

Drewfonse

I loved the verticality in the Sanghelios footage.

Question though, and it's been a little while since I've played Halo, but is the visor view with blacked out portions of the screen the standard view?

Question though, and it's been a little while since I've played Halo, but is the visor view with blacked out portions of the screen the standard view?

The visor layout varies per playable character in the Campaign (with blacked out patches according to their helmet's design), but multiplayer uses a unified HUD layout with minimal obstruction.

singhr1

Added in Halo 4. Only in campaign for H4/5. Different visors for each character you play too.

Akai__

If Ryan does the review for Halo 5, the game will score an automatic "9.8/10 Amazing" again or even higher than that.

This time, I hope the game is worth a 9.8. I really want a great Halo campaign again.

Put me in the couldn't give two fucks about matchmaking for campaign camp.

Campaign is for me and my good buddies or solo play.

I understand why some might want it but the work required to do it and the amount of people who would use it seem badly balanced to me.

Drewfonse

Ryan "out bungie'd Bungie" McCaffrey got his 11/10 review all written up. Just waiting for that check to clear.

Maybe. But he has always seemed just genuinely enthused about the series. To the point that it created this hyperbolic tone to everything that he says about Halo, particularly in his reviews.

I think he's just a raging Halo fanboy.

I can safely say Halo 4's story did not stand on its own. A whole bunch of pivotal characters come out of fucking nowhere if the only media you ever consumed were the games. And even if you did follow the extended universe, the story of Halo 4 was still incomplete, because much of the supplemental plot was explained in terminals that you had to access outside the game in the Halo way point app.

It's why people were so confused you were fighting elites again. As far as they knew, after 3, they were allies. Cortana's throwaway line about them being a splinter faction was not nearly enough to contextualize the Storm. But it was further explained in a terminal.

Poor form all the way around.

You were also in an entirely separate, and obviously undiscovered, part of the larger galaxy. Would it be any surprise that there would be a faction of the elite civilization or now splintered covenant religion that somehow found the Chief to be a threat to whatever this brand new discovery was?

The story absolutely stood on its own. I don't think people understand entirely what is being said when I say this. Just because there are other parts to the story if you wish to dig deeper it does not also instantly mean that what the player was presented with in the main game outside of things like terminals or the extended fiction, represents an incomplete story. The main thread of the story told the player all the things that 343i wanted players to see from the game 'Halo 4". We were meant to see the story from the Master Chief and Cortana's perspective. We were meant to understand things from their perspective also. Those two don't know who Jul 'MDama is. 343i didn't feel the need to tell us that because, as far as the overall situation was concerned, the Didact was clearly the greatest threat posed at the time. Everything else next to a foe as dangerous as the Didact was a side issue. 343i chose to focus their story on the Chief and Cortana trying to stop the didact while also attempting to free the Infinity from Requiem's gravity hold. And the more important overall theme was the Chief and Cortana's race against time in hopes of fixing her rampancy, which would eventually kill her, and getting to see how the Chief handles the discomfort of knowing he may soon lose Cortana forever.

Halo 4's core game did what any other piece of Halo fiction - or any piece of fiction for that matter - does: it told a story from a very specific perspective and didn't stray very far from that. The story absolutely stands on its own. You don't need to know more about who the Librarian is to know how important and significant a character she is. Everything she said to the Chief and Cortana told you how important she was. She literally planned for this day and planted all the seeds that would eventually come to be Cortana and the Master Chief. She is a friend of humanity. She went so far as to protect them not just from her own race, but from the person she loved. You don't need to know everything about the Didact to understand that he's probably a very immediate, and dangerous, threat to all of humanity.

Just about to finish a playthrough of Halo 4, and you know what, this game was pretty good. Can't wait for 5.

Damn right it was. Don't pay too much mind to the rampant negativity. It's easily one of the best games in the entire franchise, and my personal favorite of them all.

Maybe. But he has always seemed just genuinely enthused about the series. To the point that it created this hyperbolic tone to everything that he says about Halo, particularly in his reviews.

I think he's just a raging Halo fanboy.

Every time a new shooter comes out one of the new guns is always his favorite to use since the CE magnum. Every time. :p

Halo 4's story stood on its own... in a sense. What it did do, and a lot of people accuse it of not, was provide enough information to render it comprehensible, and provide an emotional hook (Cortana). What it did not do, reliably, was provide enough information to allow your average player to appreciate it. It categorically failed on setting up the Didact as a compelling villain, effectively reducing the main plot of the game a dirt-standard "save the universe from teh badguy" story with very little depth. It could have been the tragic conclusion to an ancient hero's fall from grace, perhaps foreshadowing a possible journey the Chief might someday embark on, but instead he ended up with all of the characterization and sensibility of a Saturday morning cartoon villain. The Librarian cutscene is basically the only look we get in-game into the massive backstory behind the Ur-Didact, and it violates "show, don't tell" in a big way. Sure, some players could fill in the gaps without out-of-game knowledge, and others took them in stride, but that's not good enough.

Halo 4's story stood on its own... in a sense. What it did do, and a lot of people accuse it of not, was provide enough information to render it comprehensible, and provide an emotional hook (Cortana). What it did not do, reliably, was provide enough information to allow your average player to appreciate it. It categorically failed on setting up the Didact as a compelling villain, effectively reducing the main plot of the game a dirt-standard "save the universe from teh badguy" story with very little depth. It could have been the tragic conclusion to an ancient hero's fall from grace, perhaps foreshadowing a possible journey the Chief might someday embark on, but instead he ended up with all of the characterization and sensibility of a Saturday morning cartoon villain. The Librarian cutscene is basically the only look we get in-game into the massive backstory behind the Ur-Didact, and it violates "show, don't tell" in a big way. Sure, some players could fill in the gaps without out-of-game knowledge, and others took them in stride, but that's not good enough.

Okay, I do acknowledge that it could've been cool as hell to see 343i give us a more direct game showing of the type of hero the Ur-Didact once was in order for the average player to have a much better idea of just how far he had fallen. He was potentially seen once as a hero on the same, or even far greater, level than the master chief.

And the connection you make with it possibly being used as a foreshadowing tool for how things could end up for the Chief is itself also a most fantastic idea. The only other reason I can come up with for why that couldn't happen is that it potentially created a rabbit hole of challenges for precisely how 343 would accomplish this in game without distracting away from the story they wanted to tell between Cortana and the Chief. And if I had to choose one of the two outcomes where Cortana and the Chief's story are impacted as a result of such a change, I think I much prefer we get to see more of the Chief and Cortana. Considering the game ended up with the Chief losing her forever, I figured it best to spend as much time developing that relationship as humanely possible, even if it comes at the sacrifice of more in-game exploration of the Ur-Didact's character.

They also turned the Didact into a huge jobber. I hope the Warden doesn't suffer the same fate

Top Bottom