• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

Looks decent. No split screen = no buy for me though sadly.

0rFN1qK.gif

They also turned the Didact into a huge jobber. I hope the Warden doesn't suffer the same fate

The Didact killing everyone on that moon base with the composer as we all watched as their bodies lit up like Christmas trees, their skin began to melt, and they all turned into skeletons before eventually being reduced to dust, wasn't the work of a Saturday morning cartoon villain. :)

Solidsoul

Banned
Halo 4's story stood on its own... in a sense. What it did do, and a lot of people accuse it of not, was provide enough information to render it comprehensible, and provide an emotional hook (Cortana). What it did not do, reliably, was provide enough information to allow your average player to appreciate it. It categorically failed on setting up the Didact as a compelling villain, effectively reducing the main plot of the game a dirt-standard "save the universe from teh badguy" story with very little depth. It could have been the tragic conclusion to an ancient hero's fall from grace, perhaps foreshadowing a possible journey the Chief might someday embark on, but instead he ended up with all of the characterization and sensibility of a Saturday morning cartoon villain. The Librarian cutscene is basically the only look we get in-game into the massive backstory behind the Ur-Didact, and it violates "show, don't tell" in a big way. Sure, some players could fill in the gaps without out-of-game knowledge, and others took them in stride, but that's not good enough.

This is so accurate.

Sargon

I have never played a Halo game before and I'm planning to pick up an Xbox One next month. Should I jump right into Halo 5, or do I need to experience the story from the previous games first?

Solidsoul

Banned
I have never played a Halo game before and I'm planning to pick up an Xbox One next month. Should I jump right into Halo 5, or do I need to experience the story from the previous games first?

Buy Halo: The Master Chief Collection, play all four games and then start Halo 5: Guardians. That will put you in a good place, and MCC is pretty cheap nowadays.

shoreu

Get MCC , buy ODST and run through them all. You'll have a blast and your shooting skills won't be ass when halo 5 comes out.

Trup1aya

I really can't imagine a scenario that would make H5 a good place to start in the series... I just do see how 343i could make it work as a self contained story.

There are so many characters and plot lines that will be touched on that you will be completely out of the loop for...

Atleast get MCC and play the numbered titles and watch the Fall of Reach animation that comes with it...

Sargon

Buy Halo: The Master Chief Collection, play all four games and then start Halo 5: Guardians. That will put you in a good place, and MCC is pretty cheap nowadays.
That is what I was thinking as well, but I seem to keep getting myself stuck in this scenario where I want to finish previous games before starting the new one, and then I never get around to the new one.

Examples:
Witcher 3 - I finished The Witcher, but am still early on in Witcher 2.
Metal Gear Solid 5 - I finished and enjoyed the original Metal Gear Solid back when it first came out, but never made it through any of the subsequent games.

So I understand your suggestion, but I need to weigh whether that is truly the best use of my time or if I should just read some background info somewhere and jump into Halo 5.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That is what I was thinking as well, but I seem to keep getting myself stuck in this scenario where I want to finish previous games before starting the new one, and then I never get around to the new one.

Examples:
Witcher 3 - I finished The Witcher, but am still early on in Witcher 2.
Metal Gear Solid 5 - I finished and enjoyed the original Metal Gear Solid back when it first came out, but never made it through any of the subsequent games.

So I understand your suggestion, but I need to weigh whether that is truly the best use of my time or if I should just read some background info somewhere and jump into Halo 5.
Yeah, I never play earlier games in a series before a sequel comes out. I don't want to get burnt out on that game / genre! I'm planning on mostly playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 before Halo 5 comes out, lol.

Tb0ne07

About halfway through my second playthrough of 4, heroic, non-MCC. Fun game, unbelievable gfx that hold up almost too well against current gen. Story is a bit confusing for a while but I'm not into all the lore and terminals. Mechanics are tight but can't speak to multipayer. 5 is looking solid so far.

Bsigg12

xboxnerd

Banned
A light new leak was just posted on reddit from internal beta. Has a few pics and new deetz; minor chance it's fake, as what's shown wouldn't be hard to put together

Don't go putting to much stock into UIs and menu design - seems to be the same as the earlier internal-beta leaks from a few months ago, which were confirmed placeholder.

175 armor sets is a reasonable numbers if they want to push the REQ system. Wish there are tons of variation rather than just slight difference.
I would like to see more assassination animations and weapon skins though.

Can't wait for tomorrow's preview!

Raide

Might media blackout once the previews roll in but I just want Forge info at this point. They are either hiding something amazingly cool or they are stalling for time because its more of the same. Hoping its not the latter for the sake of ForgeGAF.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Might media blackout once the previews roll in but I just want Forge info at this point. They are either hiding something amazingly cool or they are stalling for time because its more of the same. Hoping its not the latter for the sake of ForgeGAF.

I want to see forge and hope that it is awesome, but I need to realize that it doesn't matter to me, because I don't EVER use it. I don't have the patience or time to build something. It is fun to see what others can do with it though.

Raide

I want to see forge and hope that it is awesome, but I need to realize that it doesn't matter to me, because I don't EVER use it. I don't have the patience or time to build something. It is fun to see what others can do with it though.

I am weirdly the opposite. :D

I spent a crazy amount of time tweaking and playing in Forge but hardly play MP, expect to test maps. With H5 I think Warzone will get me playing more than the traditional arena stuff but you never know! They beta was great fun but I am hoping Forge really lets loose and gives people the chance to make some cool things for the community to enjoy.

Top Bottom