• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

link1201

The thing people need to understand about Master Chief is that he is absolutely not a lone wolf by nature. He was trained to be part of a team, spent the majority of his career as part of a team, and has only elected to go it alone when the circumstances give him no better option. So this game really is a return to form for him, canonicaly speaking. Having Blue Team back by his side doesn't prevent him from dealing with his memories or discovering new mysteries - in fact by having his closest friends with him there's no better way to continue to explore and develop his character, as well as equip him with what he needs to tackle even bigger challenges. Hopefully this is just the beginning of Blue Team's adventures together in the games.

It's already been confirmed each team will be present for the entire game. Can't really have a game that's "built from the ground up for cooperative play" with a JIP system for campaign and then remove that aspect for a few levels.

I hope they do a good job of relaying this during the Fall of Reach animated series. That was a huge part of that book.

This looks really promising after 4 being the only Halo campaign I wasn't too hot about. Questions-

Is there really no split-screen in the game? At all?

I remember the campaign in 4 having like only 3 enemy types and barely Covenent. Do we get more Covenent? Do we know how much variety there is in the Prometheans? The demo seemed to have at least 2 more types.

No co-op focused mode like Firefight/Spartan Ops?

This looks really promising after 4 being the only Halo campaign I wasn't too hot about. Questions-

Is there really no split-screen in the game? At all?

I remember the campaign in 4 having like only 3 enemy types and barely Covenent. Do we get more Covenent? Do we know how much variety there is in the Prometheans? The demo seemed to have at least 2 more types.

No co-op focused mode like Firefight/Spartan Ops?

No split-screen in Campaign, but I believe 2-player split-screen was confirmed for Multiplayer.

Not sure on your last two questions.

Trup1aya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPXE2ApwT0o

Edit: some minor spoilers, watch at your own risk

Man, those visor effects look awesome... I know it would be a definite no-go for MP, but for SP it has the potential to be incredibly immersive. I hope they keep it, or at least give us the option.

Also, seeing that episode, just makes me wish they had chosen a different campaign segment for E3. I keep thinking back to Halo2's reveal, how they were able to show all the new gameplay mechanics, but but make it feel like true gameplay instead of scripted events.

danwarb

Haven' t been following 5 much, but I don't think I like the cluttered yet muted visual style of new Halo.

I hope there's much more sci-fi world building and mystery in the story this time, as with the first game. Save the action for the missions.

Leyasu

Banned
Do we have a list of preorder bonuses yet?

Amazon has this, it's called a Projection SMG with long barrel

Large image warning if clicked

Gamestop has The Sentinel Battle Rifle with Laser Targeter and the Bloodthirst Battle Rifle Weapon Skin.

Halo5_sentrifle_bonusLG.jpg

As well as what seems to be instant access to Locke's armor in multiplayer

That skin is pretty good. Can't wait to see all the the other stuff they have planned a the game.

Actually I think it has been confirmed each character does have a unique HUD. Wouldn't make sense to see the outline of Chief's helmet (where you can see brim of his visor and such) when playing as Kelly in her EVA-esque armor.

Sure it is, I was not speaking of the UI but of the reflections.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
I hope they do a good job of relaying this during the Fall of Reach animated series. That was a huge part of that book.

Agreed. But everything they've said about the project thus far does seem to idicate the focus will firmly be on John's history with his Spartans, so that gives me confidence. I'm just glad too that they're going to this effort to help ensure more people understand how the Spartans came together and how important they are to each other - that they're not treating Blue Team as just a novelty that's there only to appease hard core lore fans.

RSB

Banned
It's just worse to me in every way. From a lore, visual, gameplay perspective. When you see things like the Carbine ADS, Plasma Caster you ask who was this really for? All it does is take up screen real estate.
Yep, and the funny thing is the iron sights in Halo 5 are (mostly) cosmetic, so they could easily avoid all this by simply adding a classic zoom toggle.

You want useless clutter obscuring your view when you zoom? You choose the ADS mode. You prefer the clean and elegant look of the classic zoom? You choose the classic scope mode. Everybody wins.

Glass

For further clarification on the weapon skins, I think theyve said the pre-order exclusives are basically day one exclusives, but will pop up in the game for everyone else as well.

Would love to know what the structure for skins will be, if there'll be common skins, rare skins, will it be similar to CS GO with different req packs offering a different pool of items and skins (eg UNSC req pack, ONI req pack) This shit adds so much to multiplayer (and campaign potentially) I can't wait.

It just says at launch so I'm thinking you'll be able to unlock it through some means.

Confirmed to be the case, IIRC. Probably hidden in a REQ pack.

For further clarification on the weapon skins, I think theyve said the pre-order exclusives are basically day one exclusives, but will pop up in the game for everyone else as well.

Would love to know what the structure for skins will be, if there'll be common skins, rare skins, will it be similar to CS GO with different req packs offering a different pool of items and skins (eg UNSC req pack, ONI req pack) This shit adds so much to multiplayer (and campaign potentially) I can't wait.

Pretty sure I've seen at least one image of a requisition with a labeled rarity. Plus, the named weapons like Kelly's shotty and Linda's sniper are "mythic" rarity.

Madness

Love all those episodes soooo much :)

Just ridiculous the amount of work that goes in for something so simple as an extra red stripe on a tiered weapon or a protruding ammo counter, or an issue with lighting. I couldn't handle being in this industry. Spend months doing something no one will notice or appreciate.

link1201

Just ridiculous the amount of work that goes in for something so simple as an extra red stripe on a tiered weapon or a protruding ammo counter, or an issue with lighting. I couldn't handle being in this industry. Spend months doing something no one will notice or appreciate.

I agree with you but a lot of jobs are that way. No one really notices all your hard work until something goes wrong then you get a spotlight put on you. The Sprint series is a great small glimpse behind the game development process.

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
Colter is face, Amadi is voice. We deferred to his Luke Cage schedule because he's a cool guy and it's a huge break. Ike is amazing and was one of our faves during first auditions and so far reaction to his voice has been fantastic .

Definitely wasn't because his work as Locke was less than stellar right?

solis74

Yeah so effin badass, loved how they have demarked them by dev sprint cycles

Edit: the amount of work, sweat and love 343 is putting into this game is amazing

Yeah for me it's just so cool to take a look behind the curtain and see what the devs actually get upto day to day, the little mini clashes between the various departments was cool to see also, work politics you have to love it ;p

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
watched all 4 episodes of Sprint. Pretty good stuff. Hopefully they make one that is dedicated to Music only. Not sound mixing. But the Soundtrack of this game.

Well we've already seen that forge maps will work in matchmaking from the beta. Also the forge maps themselves looked incredible and that was 6 months ago. Basically we're going to have an endless creation of maps to never get bored of.

Come to think of it, there's probably gonna be so much community content that a lot of people would decide to forgo DLC maps altogether if they had to pay for them. That fact probably played a role in 343i's decision to release them for free.

Dynasty8

I've been playing some Halo 4 recently due to all the Halo 5 hype...I'm having a lot of fun...they really fixed this game by removing the Ordinance. The game feels very smooth.

Madness

I think the fact that Battlefront and Call of Duty will be multi-player juggernauts also factored into decision, as did what happened to MCC. One of the biggest issues with Halo has been the fracturing of the multi-player community post launch with new map packs. Half the people who actively download them and play in separate lists, or half don't and are excluded eventually moving on from sheer boredom of playing on same maps.

With new DLC monetization options, 343 probably figured it was better to have free map packs going forward, because it means the entire community will always be able to play together, no matter what map, and this in turn could help them recoup loss of map DLC money by having people addicted to Warzone and being excited at the Warzone maps to come etc.

Now each map pack release will see a bump in players, and 6 months from launch, you should see a healthy population in the playlists. I hope they also force downloads on everyone so that there isn't the issue of someone forgetting or not knowing the map packs released.

Dynasty8

I think the fact that Battlefront and Call of Duty will be multi-player juggernauts also factored into decision, as did what happened to MCC. One of the biggest issues with Halo has been the fracturing of the multi-player community post launch with new map packs. Half the people who actively download them and play in separate lists, or half don't and are excluded eventually moving on from sheer boredom of playing on same maps.

With new DLC monetization options, 343 probably figured it was better to have free map packs going forward, because it means the entire community will always be able to play together, no matter what map, and this in turn could help them recoup loss of map DLC money by having people addicted to Warzone and being excited at the Warzone maps to come etc.

Now each map pack release will see a bump in players, and 6 months from launch, you should see a healthy population in the playlists. I hope they also force downloads on everyone so that there isn't the issue of someone forgetting or not knowing the map packs released.

I agree with that...smart move by 343.

Another thing I would personally prefer is to not include a ridiculous number of playlists. Keep it short and simple to begin with so the installment base doesn't get too divided. Don't me wrong, I love variety, but having a 4vs4 playlist, a 5vs5 playlist, team hardcore playlist, MLG playlist, team classics playlist fractures the community IMO.

Man, just re-watched the campaign demo two more times, and possibly going to make it a third time. I'm damn excited to experience this game for myself. It's always been a bit of a dream to really experience what it's like to truly command a team in Halo, and not just have the game pretty much fake it for you in all previous Halo titles.

I love that the more time 343i gets with this franchise the more they seem to be extracting the better parts of the extended fiction and incorporating it all into the games. I saw it mentioned in here already, but this is pretty much how the Chief started out. He was always a member of a team of Spartans. The games have just made us so use to more or less seeing him as a solo wrecking crew that people kind of lost track of that.

Top Bottom