• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Halo 5 plays nothing like COD.

Good to know. Just hearing all the rumblings about ADS, etc the past few months. And then seeing collapsing bridges and slipping into action kinda startled me from my last experience with the franchise.

May have to jump back in this holiday with MCC and H5!!!

I don't believe this an honest question at all

It is not my job to convince you of anything. But please do not read into something more than it really is.

solis74

The demo was deliberately a clean linear section to show off a few features. The game is actually more expansive with more possible routes and methods to finish than ever before- and the "scripted" bits, like Locke falling after the EMP bit are there largely for story (as opposed to QTE tasks).

Would have been tricky to demo the more common bits where the squad Divides and conquers. You'll see more of it this year.

AWESOME!

rokkerkory

I suppose not. It's a shame cuz Halo was the reason I got a 360 and I got basically every game in that series.

Maybe you need to hold off on final judgement until more stuff is out? I mean it's literally a few mins of game play from one small section of a level.

The demo itself I agree was pretty boring, a bit too scripted and CODish... but going back and really looking at the other bits and taking a deeper look has me pretty excited. 4 player co-op SP is pretty damn spectacular @ 60fps.

Good to know. Just hearing all the rumblings about ADS, etc the past few months. And then seeing collapsing bridges and slipping into action kinda startled me from my last experience with the franchise.

I wouldn't say it "plays" like COD but it most certainly has taken bad elements from CoD.

Did they ever remove grenade icons? Or make them not weak as shit? I think that was the final straw for me with 4, like I was being treated like a child. Oh the kids didn't like nades so we nerfed the shit out of them and gave you little icons to go with that.

Maybe you need to hold off on final judgement until more stuff is out? I mean it's literally a few mins of game play from one small section of a level.

The demo itself I agree was pretty boring, a bit too scripted and CODish... but going back and really looking at the other bits and taking a deeper look has me pretty excited. 4 player co-op SP is pretty damn spectacular @ 60fps.

Man if I had a dollar for every time I was told to "hold off on final judgement". This isn't my "final judgement" but it is my educated guess after seeing basically nothing that surprises me.

SpartanN92

Banned
Jesus so much bitching...

The demo was fine... Of course it was linear (Do you guys not know what E3 demos are like???)

Buck is on point
The new boss/villain was awesome!
Graphics look good
The scale appears massive!
And war zone sounds great!

FordGTGuy

Banned

May have to jump back in this holiday with MCC and H5!!!

It is not my job to convince you of anything. But please do not read into something more than it really is.

My gameplay experience is based purely on the Decemeber beta and playing COD: AW. The abilities and general gameplay are very different.

Detective

Sorry but Halo 4 looked mind-blowing given the hardware it was tied to.
Looked Great but at what cost?

I kind of felt the same, but watching it again and seeing how much stuff was going on at the same time blew me away. Pay special attention to the clips after the gameplay demo ends, especially the vehicle combat ones. Looks incredible to me.
I'll try to watch it again, Hope am wrong :)

Someone didn't play Halo 4, the jump between 3 and 4 is huge.

Honestly playing it on MCC makes it seem like it shouldn't even have been able to exist on Xbox 360.

I love Halo more than any game out there , I mainly game because of Halo.

That's just what I felt when I saw the explosions and the effects.

Am gonna watch it again tomorrow when I connect to a hotspot and will post a second opinion:)

This is very hard to say. But that didn't scream next Gen graphics. I love Halo. But am disappointed at those Graphics. Same explosions, same effects.

I just wanna know why Halo never looks great when it comes out. Like a next Gen. Except for Halo CE which looked great when it came out all other Halo titles looked mediocre.

If its the engine, licenses another one or build something new, not based on but totally new.

Maybe am mistaken, But that's what I felt when I saw it.

Hope am wrong..

Day one for sure as for every Halo title.
I dont think it looks mindblowing, but guess you cant expect that from a game targeting at constant 60fps. I still think the ingame graphic is good and the cutscenes look awesome:

4740f2e4d23aeb103a9caea843248f2e.jpg

b515b522bcfe8553814ee3c761348b0d.jpg

b5c99a7ca4d17ad72be77255a26e8430.jpg

a7e47f16fdd93000b05d6e0580cd0c32.jpg

e2b5bc4dc5277af2b2ee5a1c54b202d6.jpg

0Wt0L4R.jpg

KXNdVdi.jpg

Too bad MP doesnt even look close to what campaign looks.
d05cf80885c9613434b32b2759f33448.jpg

I dont think it looks mindblowing, but guess you cant expect that from a game targeting at constant 60fps. I still think the ingame graphic is good and the cutscenes look awesome:

4740f2e4d23aeb103a9caea843248f2e.jpg

b515b522bcfe8553814ee3c761348b0d.jpg

b5c99a7ca4d17ad72be77255a26e8430.jpg

a7e47f16fdd93000b05d6e0580cd0c32.jpg

e2b5bc4dc5277af2b2ee5a1c54b202d6.jpg

0Wt0L4R.jpg

KXNdVdi.jpg

Looking good. I have to say, really digging the new Prometheans. Kinda disappointed though that the Arbiter's elites didn't retain the old armor design (as shown in the H2A cinematic) but rather donned the same style as their Storm/Swords of Sanghelios counterparts.

There's no need to attack it without taking information we already know in account too.

Well. I wasn't aware any additional information, and they're certainly did not demonstrate it in the demo.
I wouldn't call 'underwhelming' an attack either, I was perfectly reasonable with my impression.

highrider

Banned
Demo was a bit slow and flat. I'm not ready to throw it under the bus, but if I'm honest, that generated no excitement from me.

Monocle

The demo was deliberately a clean linear section to show off a few features. The game is actually more expansive with more possible routes and methods to finish than ever before- and the "scripted" bits, like Locke falling after the EMP bit are there largely for story (as opposed to QTE tasks).

Would have been tricky to demo the more common bits where the squad Divides and conquers. You'll see more of it this year.
That sounds promising. I just hope that by methods to finish you mean approaches that issue organically from the player character's abilities and how the levels are furnished with vehicles, weapons, enemy squads, etc.

I know you're aware of the fun that can be had in levels like The Silent Cartographer and The Ark. The insane replayability of those levels comes from the freedom players are given to approach encounters however they want, without being bugged by lots of scripted moments and whatever else. You can spend an hour driving around The Silent Cartographer's beaches, circling the entire island, exploring previously cleared areas, and the game doesn't pester you to finish the level or return to the beaten path.

That's the kind of freedom I love in Halo games, and that's all I want from Halo 5, really... more well designed sandboxes to play in. Levels I'll want to revisit for years.

Yeah this demo wasnt impressive in terms of gameplay, but it needed to be linear because its a show. There will be bigger sandboxes later I am sure like Frankie said. This just needed to be straight and to the point for this particular time. The trailer at the end showed bigger environments and such. I am excited though and i do enjoy the art style.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looking good. I have to say, really digging the new Prometheans.
Really? I think they look very goofy. Strange proportions in their shoulders. Just ick. The rest looks fantastic and there seems to be a bit more of the traditional halo color too.

IJoel

As a huge Halo fan (especially single player), I found this very disappointing. The very first glimpse 343i gives us of single player and it's not MC? I realize they shared some of that information with GI, but there's no video of that.

Perhaps, this would've been great had Nightfall been any good, but guess what? It wasn't . Far from it. The first introduction to this new character in Nightfall was dull and uninteresting, and believe me, I had high hopes for it.

In any case, at least it looks nice. The fact that the reaction, as I can read from here, has been polarizing is proof this was a bad reveal for the single player campaign. I don't recall any previous SP reveals being received this badly.

To be honest, the fact that a big portion of the SP is being framed as a squabble between humans makes the story uninteresting to me. A large part of Halo's allure is that it was the story of humans against the covenant; odds really stacked against humans. A bunch of new second classed Spartans hunting MC, makes me go "meh".

Again, this is the perspective from a big fan that mainly plays Halo games for their SP campaigns. No trolling.

RSB

Banned
That sounds promising. I just hope that by methods to finish you mean approaches that issue organically from the player character's abilities and how the levels are furnished with vehicles, weapons, enemy squads, etc.

I know you're aware of the fun that can be had in levels like The Silent Cartographer and The Ark. The insane replayability of those levels comes from the freedom players are given to approach encounters however they want, without being bugged by lots of scripted moments and whatever else. You can spend an hour driving around The Silent Cartographer's beaches, circling the entire island, exploring previously cleared areas, and the game doesn't pester you to finish the level or return to the beaten path.

That's the kind of freedom I love in Halo games, and that's all I want from Halo 5, really... more well designed sandboxes to play in. Levels I'll want to revisit for years.
So true, especially the bolded. Earlier today I replayed The Storm while waiting for the Xbox Conference, and oh boy, I don't think I'll ever stop having fun with levels like that.

Halo, Silent Cartographer, AotCR, Two Betrayals, Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark, The Covenant... Halo 5 level design should totally go in that direction.

solis74

Jesus so much bitching...

The demo was fine... Of course it was linear (Do you guys not know what E3 demos are like???)

Buck is on point
The new boss/villain was awesome!
Graphics look good
The scale appears massive!
And war zone sounds great!

Love the detail too.

LW00GYO.png

TzPleqn.png

Really? I think they look very goofy. Strange proportions in their shoulders. Just ick. The rest looks fantastic and there seems to be a bit more of the traditional halo color too.

Yeah, I do. They seem to fit right in the gap between the crawlers and knights. In regard to their proportions, well, there seems to be a quite a bit of variations in the design, which is a good thing.

On a side note, I am so glad that both Covenant and Prometheans have adapted English again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wouldn't say it "plays" like COD but it most certainly has taken bad elements from CoD.

Did they ever remove grenade icons? Or make them not weak as shit? I think that was the final straw for me with 4, like I was being treated like a child. Oh the kids didn't like nades so we nerfed the shit out of them and gave you little icons to go with that.

Man if I had a dollar for every time I was told to "hold off on final judgement". This isn't my "final judgement" but it is my educated guess after seeing basically nothing that surprises me.

My gameplay experience is based purely on the Decemeber beta and playing COD: AW. The abilities and general gameplay are very different.

Thank you both for your responses. I loved the Halo Universe with the first 3 and the books. I could not get into ODST, but I also did not own it and only messed around with a friends copy at his house.

So I will definitely watch this closely, and if I like what I see, I am picking up a One with the series this holiday (possibly Black Friday sales).

Forza 6 is so tempting as well since Turn 10 always delivers a finely tuned racing sim with fantastic options.

EGM1966

Thus far from SP perspective this isn't the Halo I'm interested in. Feels designed around EU and focus on what I find least interesting aspect of series (Spartans and human politics).

Too early tell but at the moment this is looking to be the first mainline Halo I skip.

rokkerkory

How educated can your guess be off of a few min demo? No wonder folks are telling you to hold off

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The SP looked....relatively sterile. Maybe it was just due to it being a Locke segment, but nothing really seemed exciting/emergent about that cut. ]

Warzone looks like it could be interesting, tho.

stinkles said:

Ah. That explains a bit, I suppose.

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow, this looks terrible. I thought we learned that the enemies speaking English was bad and stupid?? It totally does look like just a CoD game.

I guess this franchise just isn't for me anymore. I have to let it go. Hopefully KI comes to PC at some point.

Glass

Yeah Warzone looks really interesting. Liking the fact that there's AI in the multiplayer but it doesn't take the place of people but rather its in addition. And boss battles.

Halo's always been a sandbox game, this looks like a mode aiming to make use of that fact.

Monocle

I could possibly get into Warzone, even though I always end up abandoning multiplayer modes sooner than I think I will. I just don't have the patience or time to git gud. Kudos to 343 for the concept of Warzone though. It looks like it could be really great.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You will be more than satisfied on that score, I suspect.

Source

Warzone looks alright. But I have to ask, are we still getting a traditional BTB experience? And by traditional I mean maps similar in size to Blood Gulch, SideWinder and Headlong etc, and no loadouts present.

Ramirez

Why not show that though? :/

*sigh*

Is what it is. Warzone looks really great at least.

Because E3 demos are almost always slow walking, set piece filled demos, why do "hardcore" gamers continue to be *shocked* when this happens?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Such a shame this isn't the Halo I grew up with and loved so much but then It was obvious 343 wanted to take this in a new direction, it had a good run, Halo is for a new generation now.

It was awesome, showed off graphics, new command system and that they are telling a real story with the game.

Yes because 343 lied to Game Informer and Stinkles is lying to everyone on GAF.

Stinkles has pretty much lied to all of Gaf a bunch of times but i dont blame him since on the position hes in he doesnt have any other choice (well he could stay silent really). But the kneejerk reaction that Halo 5 will be just corridor after corridor is ridiculous and i dont even play Halo.

As for the popularity of this thread the demo just wasnt very interesting and it shows. The Uncharted 4 demo later today will have a 50+ thread in 2 hours because ND knows how to demo games. And for the folks saying that E3 demos are always and only linear scripted little levels, the UC4 demo at PSX was very open ended and sandbox-y so you just gotta demo it right.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles has pretty much lied to all of Gaf a bunch of times but i dont blame him since on the position hes in he doesnt have any other choice (well he could stay silent really). But the kneejerk reaction that Halo 5 will be just corridor after corridor is ridiculous and i dont even play Halo.

No I haven't.

Seriously. Back that up.

SMH

It's a publicly traded company and I am obliged to tell the truth about our products. And I absolutely hate being called a LIAR.

Top Bottom