• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

pieface

I don't like the idea of having AI in multiplayer but I really want to give it a go!

I wish 343 would have done another BETA (but Warzone this time) for those who pre-order the game or something. That would have been ace.

It's pretty much defining the industry standard since 14 years, so no.

14 years ago this would be great. Today, with the endless list of available shooters, I expected more from the biggest 1st party fps.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it looks very average. It will be once again lost in the hype for Cod and Battlefront, where instead it should / needs to be the centre of attention.

Velikost

Looks like yet another very average shooter amongst a sea of many.

image.php

Rocketz

I'm excited for it. I've always liked the campaigns and this one by far seems the most interesting. Obviously a quick gameplay can't show a lot but I'm hoping for more come Gamescom.

velociraptor

I thought Gears was disappointing in terms of gameplay but Halo 5 looks a bit better. I think I'll pick this game up. Besides, the story and adventure in Halo was always interesting to me.

Does the SP campaign feature split screen co-op?

I wish 343 had a studio head like Rod Fergusson and I encourage you to take a peek from an interview today with Geoff Keighley- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WkS9Sf2ffo&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

He has a lot of experience.

"Geoff: You are obviously a veteran of the Gears franchise. You have been through the history of Gears. What do you want Gears of War to stand for when moving forward?
Rod: Ah well we really want it to stand on its own. When I came over to this studio, we looked at what other things we could have done with it, but then it lost a little bit of its luster, then we looked at other successful games and thought, should we chase that or should we chase this. One of the things is I stood in front of the team and said we don't follow. Let's really embrace what Gears is. Maybe that means a slightly smaller audience but it means we have much more deep in the passion, and you see that by asking how many more fans need tattoos. So it's the sort of feeling to embrace what Gears really is instead of chasing other people."

They should really print this out and hang it over cubicles at 343 and Crystal Dynamics.

Then again, I imagine most of the copycat decisions are suits not developers.

tonitoni

Glad to see 343i understands that it is time to move the series to a new direction.

The Halo fatigue settled in after playing the same game over and over. Having put 40 hours into the Beta, Halo 5 is amazing.

Moving it into the generic cinematic shooter direction doesn't seem like something to be proud of. And for me a single level in the first halos has more replayability than the entire halo4.

I liked the sense of discovery and being lost in a world I didn't understand, calmly exploring the world by my own. I liked being able to play my own way and doing my own stuff without loosing control of the character every 5 seconds. I don't like now as it seems everything is moving so fast i can't see shit, shaky-cam and explosions everywhere, cinematic I have your back dudebro powerranger press-A-to-loose-control-of-the-character-while-we-show-how-awesome-we-are yankfest.

I guess there is nothing wrong with halo's new direction, the thing is these games just aren't for me anymore.

Monocle

Fascinatingly accurate insight, as usual. Oh those suits!
I don't know if a lot of 343's members aren't big fans of Bungie's Halo games or what, but there's a pretty distinct break in the series' aesthetics and overall game design starting with Halo 4. I feel like people who enjoy what I enjoy about the series wouldn't have made the design choices I see in 343's version of Halo.

Leyasu

Banned
The thing is, how many times can they drop you on another halo to explore, before everyone starts demanding new locations to visit?

I have faith that this will deliver.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
Having played through MCC recently the move from 3 to 4 was a big leap in graphical quality and design. I loved what Bungie did but the series needs to evolve and I love the direction. Halo 5 looks awesome and the beta was fun.
Looking forward to all the impressions from those that actually get to play it at E3 rather than the constant knee jerks and general hate that fill the forums.

Makes me want a new Republic Commando.

Looks decent though, still not sure how I feel about the squad direction. Halo has always been about the solitary journey of NC and Cortana against overwhelming odds with occasional assistance from grunts who are almost always out of their league and quickly pay the ultimate price...

Monocle

The thing is, how many times can they drop you on another halo to explore, before everyone starts demanding new locations to visit?

I have faith that this will deliver.
There's a potentially unlimited variety of environments on Halo installations. You could have a whole series of games take place on just one of them. Between the inner surface of the ring with its diverse climates, the subterranean areas, and great buildings like the Library, you'd never run out of interesting settings.

glaurung

The reveal was far from impressive for a new-gen Halo. I expected way more. It looks more or less like Halo 4 1080p.
This.

I felt the same way while seeing the slow-ass walking, inane banter team operations game play. Are they that scared to shake up the formula? Guess so.

Also, those amber glowing mech enemies are boring as all hell.

Still going to play this thing and play the shit out of it. It's one of the few games I bought that damn box for.

solis74

There's a potentially unlimited variety of environments on Halo installations. You could have a whole series of games take place on just one of them. Between the inner surface of the ring with its diverse climates, the subterranean areas, and great buildings like the Library, you'd never run out of interesting settings.

Its been confirmed we will visit a number of different planets and locations in Halo 5 :)

Thretau

I liked Halo 4 and think this looks great. Not expecting anything mind-blowing but should be very entertaining single player campaign. I very rarely touch Halo multiplayer so won't comment on that.

The reveal was far from impressive for a new-gen Halo. I expected way more. It looks more or less like Halo 4 1080p.

For all its faults, Halo 4 was a visually stunning game that was far and away one of the best looking shooters of last gen. I suspect this is using the same engine.. So it's not that surprising it looks like Halo 4 in 1080.

pswii60

This is the problem with targeting 60fps - most are watching the gameplay reveal and footage at 30fps and don't see a big leap forward.

I thought it looked great, especially the lighting. But my gripes are that it seemed a little overly-scripted for a Halo game, also we didn't see any big open areas to contrast with the corridors. That's what made Halo what it was.. corridors and big open areas and corridors and more big open areas :)

Faith

Halo 4 was 720p @30fps. This is what, 900-1080p @60fps? The Xbox One is 5-6 times stronger than the Xbox360, so there isn't much left for much better visuals.

I would be satisfied with Halo 5 beta visuals in 1080p @60fps and some decent image quality.

Madness

I don't know if a lot of 343's members aren't big fans of Bungie's Halo games or what, but there's a pretty distinct break in the series' aesthetics and overall game design starting with Halo 4. I feel like people who enjoy what I enjoy about the series wouldn't have made the design choices I see in 343's version of Halo.

Because they aren't Bungie. After Halo 4, I pretty much knew the aesthetic and Bungie-feel of Halo wouldn't exist. They are 343, different developers. And different developers bring what they know with them. It's why with Tim Longo as creative director, you're seeing a Republic Commando influence in campaign, it's why when they brought Josh Menke on board, he brought his SC2/Blizzard style ranking.

Gears is different because you have the original producer brought in as studio head. Gears of War, after the debacle of Gears 2 is not an industry defining game anymore. It has a very hard-core following and large fanbase, but as we saw with Judgment, they didn't capture the wider gaming audience when they shifted away from the series. So at best, they just want to make a great Gears game that Gears fans love. Halo however still is perhaps the second most important shooter anywhere. It's played beyond its large fanbase. It still literally moves Xboxes. This won't keep up forever. But you also have to remember, Halo CE is now almost 15 years ago. There are probably kids today who are going to be buying Halo 5, who probably started with only Reach or Halo 4.

I hate ADS with a passion, but you cannot say they haven't tried to give fans, both new and old what they want. Arena competitive is returning to equal starts, on map static weapon spawns, no random elements, no instant respawns, no loadouts, and after feedback even made killcams off by default. For the casual audience who didn't necessarily enjoy competitive Halo, they made Warzone, a large infinity meets firefight/Spartan ops mode. You are going to have quite a large number of people play it, because it gives them something they want. I laughed when they were bringing multi-player to Mass Effect 3, who'd want to play that shit, and then I literally spent over a hundred hours playing.

Sure I wasn't thrilled with the Michael Bay campaign sequence today but I don't give them grief for choosing that. They have literally a few minutes and need to show off visuals, new gameplay, new characters and what makes this campaign different really quickly. I bet were still going to get the wide open battlefields, the hectic firefights, plus Blue Team and Chief etc.

tuna_love

Banned
That 15 min ign got me hyped near the end when they could spawn all the rad vehicles. A 24 player btb on half the sized map would be awesome.

Leyasu

Banned

Same could be said about all the other worlds within the halo universe. After what they have said, variety does seem like the order of the day.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thought about this for a bit and, while I was underwhelmed at first, I actually think this could be a very solid game provided the level design is open enough.

This isn't a Bungie game and I expect something different. This is a new team with a different vision.

As scripted as the demo looked, I don't expect it to be anything like Call of Duty since Halo still focuses on close quarters combat. Call of Duty, at least in the past, has always focused on narrow areas that encourage the player to bunker down and shoot at tiny, AI-less objects in the distance. Halo 5 isn't going to be that, I'm sure.

This is the problem with targeting 60fps - most are watching the gameplay reveal and footage at 30fps and don't see a big leap forward.

I thought it looked great, especially the lighting. But my gripes are that it seemed a little overly-scripted for a Halo game, also we didn't see any big open areas to contrast with the corridors. That's what made Halo what it was.. corridors and big open areas and corridors and more big open areas :)

This was explained. They can't show the divergent paths and freedom because of the limited time of the stage showing. They will show all that stuff later in the year

rrc1594

Because they aren't Bungie. After Halo 4, I pretty much knew the aesthetic and Bungie-feel of Halo wouldn't exist. They are 343, different developers. And different developers bring what they know with them. It's why with Tim Longo as creative director, you're seeing a Republic Commando influence in campaign, it's why when they brought Josh Menke on board, he brought his SC2/Blizzard style ranking.

Gears is different because you have the original producer brought in as studio head. Gears of War, after the debacle of Gears 2 is not an industry defining game anymore. It has a very hard-core following and large fanbase, but as we saw with Judgment, they didn't capture the wider gaming audience when they shifted away from the series. So at best, they just want to make a great Gears game that Gears fans love. Halo however still is perhaps the second most important shooter anywhere. It's played beyond its large fanbase. It still literally moves Xboxes. This won't keep up forever. But you also have to remember, Halo CE is now almost 15 years ago. There are probably kids today who are going to be buying Halo 5, who probably started with only Reach or Halo 4.

I hate ADS with a passion, but you cannot say they haven't tried to give fans, both new and old what they want. Arena competitive is returning to equal starts, on map static weapon spawns, no random elements, no instant respawns, no loadouts, and after feedback even made killcams off by default. For the casual audience who didn't necessarily enjoy competitive Halo, they made Warzone, a large infinity meets firefight/Spartan ops mode. You are going to have quite a large number of people play it, because it gives them something they want. I laughed when they were bringing multi-player to Mass Effect 3, who'd want to play that shit, and then I literally spent over a hundred hours playing.

Sure I wasn't thrilled with the Michael Bay campaign sequence today but I don't give them grief for choosing that. They have literally a few minutes and need to show off visuals, new gameplay, new characters and what makes this campaign different really quickly. I bet were still going to get the wide open battlefields, the hectic firefights, plus Blue Team and Chief etc.

Well said

ST3K3LLY

Banned
Looks good but seems like a lot of story so will need to play it all to digest if they have gone in the correct direction.

DevilFox

I'm on the other side, I liked Gears 4 more than this Halo 5 demo that in all honesty was really disappointing, seems dull and flat, probably the worst thing I could say is that it looks "average". Perhaps it's just the demo, release is close anyway.

Top Bottom