• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

Kill times are fast. Really fast and the pistol is useless in comparison to the AR which rips face and kind of ruins the utility of the BR

Kill times seem fine for me. The pistol is the best pistol since H1. I've been dominating people with it. The SMG is the gun that really rips face and is a problem. That gun needs to be nerfed.

RoKKeR

One thing I've really noticed so far is the substantial decrease in auto-aim, especially in close quarters DMR/BR fights. It's greatly appreciated, makes those fights a little more tense.

Going to take some getting used to, though. TTK is fine IMO.

Caayn

Females don't look like starved 12 year old boys anymore.

The high pitched beeps when your shield drops/depleted needs to be a few pitches lower, right now it's just a tad too high to be comfortable imo.

Did anyone noticed the mini prophet hologram on Truth?

The "X seconds till X weapon" really needs to go, it's distracting.
How did you know to mention VMC?
You're so busy with the codes and keeping your info safe that you're completely forgetting the information your leaving out in the open.

First impressions:

Controls take a little getting used to. Not played Halo in a while. (getting MCC for Xmas).

Pretty rock solid frame rate. Barely seen a drop.

Solid net code, not seeing much teleporting or anything like that.

Matchmaking is erm, OK. Not sure if that is more to do with lack of player more than anything. Had a few crashes to the Halo menu screen.

Overall, it's good so far, especially given the final game is a year away. It is still very raw though.

The only thing I wish they'd change right now are the killcams and, more importantly, switching Spring and Thruster buttons on the Recon control scheme.

Other than that, I'm back on board.

Noobcraft

I'm getting better (positive K/D now) but man the controls take some getting used to. The aiming feels like Halo 3 but everything else feels like halo 4

343i had marginal to do with the MCC. They launched Halo 4 extremely well. They've had A LOT of time to gear up for this beta. To not give the people who bought their broken-ass game, just a little crumb, like early access, TEN DAYS, to the Beta, is insult to injury.

It's laughable. I'm sure they already had this promotion or whatever you want to call it in place, but I'd have to imagine with how AWFUL MCC has been/still is for some, they would've changed their plans and tried to gain some will back by saying "Hey, we fucked up on the MCC, as a small token of our appreciation for sticking with us, we're giving you early access to the beta. This is just the first step towards gaining back your trust."

Oh please. If we got the Beta Early they would feel less incentive to actually give us something of value come time for them to give out pitance once Halo TMCC is "fixed". I'd rather wait and have extra chance of getting something more permenant than a couple extra days of a beta.

Oh please. If we got the Beta Early they would feel less incentive to actually give us something of value come time for them to give out pitance once Halo TMCC is "fixed". I'd rather wait and have extra chance of getting something more permenant than a couple extra days of a beta.

There's validity in that argument, but I would hope they wouldn't have such a flippant attitude like that.

"We gave you the beta early for 2 days, what more do you want?"

RdN

Wow.. I really like what 343i is cooking with this one. Gun play feels solid, netcode is an amazing improvement (of course this is due to dedicated servers) and most important: IT'S FUN.

It's going to be a long wait until November.

Noobcraft

It doesn't feel like Halo. It feels heavy (very responsive though!). Its fun. It comes off to me like Spartans mixed with NFL players with all the dudebro music when you win matches. It's bizarre. I will buy it though.

Izuna

Banned
Man I have a feeling because of how fast and symmetrical all of these maps are, it will just be Battle Rifles etc. Not the weapon variety Halo 3 casual games had.

Can you ever imagine someone using Plasma Pistol in multiplayer?

So I'm pretty set on the pistol needing a tweak and the AR needing a nerf. The SMG is devastating but that's fine if it's not a spawn weapon and it's sucks at range. DMR is kind of pointless on these maps the range simply isn't there. BR is strange kind of weak and lost its cadence.

Spartan abilities seems pretty good and clamber is a welcome addition as is the scope in hover.

Smart scope seems solid no real issue.

I'm enjoying it but it feels a bit out of balance and some guns seem useless.

Nice speed to it.

It doesn't feel like Halo. It feels heavy (very responsive though!). Its fun. It comes off to me like Spartans mixed with NFL players with all the dudebro music when you win matches. It's bizarre. I will buy it though.

I have not played at all yet, but what is the music like? It isnt like... dubstep or something?

Man I have a feeling because of how fast and symmetrical all of these maps are, it will just be Battle Rifles etc. Not the weapon variety Halo 3 casual games had.

If PP still has vehicle stun, it'll still have a place in BTB.

TTK looks awful compared to the original games

5 BR burst headshots to kill. BR doesn't fire all that fast. TTK is still Halo.

So I'm pretty set on the pistol needing a tweak and the AR needing a nerf. The SMG is devastating but that's fine if it's not a spawn weapon and it's sucks at range. DMR is kind of pointless on these maps the range simply isn't there. BR is strange kind of weak and lost its cadence.

Spartan abilities seems pretty good and clamber is a welcome addition as is the scope in hover.

Nice speed to it.

Some guns? Which guns? They all fill their roles.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've been watching a bunch of footage and it looks really good to me (although I've never been a huge Halo multiplayer fan tbh). I really need an Xbox One before this comes out. Actually, as it weird as it sounds, the gorgeous synthy ambient music had me really excited.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Has anyone else had the DL get stuck? Mines been sitting at 77% for the last 20 mins.

Until plasma weapon stun returns and the damage output is increased, covie weapons are going to suck.

jbug617

Banned
Halo Stream confirmed that split screen will be in the final game and will support 2 players for co-op and competitive multiplayer.

RoKKeR

Um, yes? For EMP? Besides this current game type is focused for competitive play, so stuff like the Brute Shot doesn't have a place in this mode.

Noobcraft

I have not played at all yet, but what is the music like? It isnt like... dubstep or something?
Not dubsteppy, just heavy sounding. Callouts on the map are really good too. It feels like playing a sport game if that makes sense. Kinda like Madden mixed with Halo.

The menu music is pretty Halo like. In fact it's pretty awesome. Lots of snare drums and orchestras.

JimiNutz

Banned
What control scheme are people using?
Started with Bumper Jumper but found I was constantly hitting crouch by accident...

Just tried default and that feels a bit better. Not sure that I like the smart scope on the left trigger though.

Seeing some folk with the same name ala a split screen guest in the other games. Does the beta have that option or is it a party thing?

Syriel

I keep getting an error saying that the Beta begins on Dec 29th. I'm in the preview program.

You only redeemed one of the two codes.

How did you know to mention VMC?

VMC runs Xbox Support. That's not a secret.

Seen a lot of people smash people with the pistol even in CQC but then they did hit a large amount of headshots.

The pistol can be devastating if you can aim well.

Nice speed to it.

The skilled players who were cleaning up against us were using the DMR to great advantage.

I'm seeing every weapon get use in these streams.

Plasma Pistol still has a place as Charge + Switch + Headshot is still faster than BR + BR + BR + BR + BR.

Headshots REALLY matter in this game.
and I am struggling to get one :sadface:

Just use an AR, bro.

Top Bottom