• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

TMMT is the shittiest organization led by the shittiest scumbag in the scene. Dude's the most disrespectful, condescending, womanizing, despicable, vile figure that has "leadership" because he's been throwing money at the scene for the past year or two. Zach's his name, spewing shit is his game.

Such a weird turn of events. Pnda dropped Ryanoobs AM team in favor of E6. & Cratos' stolen pro league spot. TMMT actually facilitated that deal.

Then in the following months, TMMT''s ties to Allegience and Str8 are ended. Pnda finances Cratos and company until they qualify, and then the org suddenly gets dropped.

Now TMMT has a Worlds team, a pro league spot and no conflicts of interest due to having stakes in multiple teams.

Why didn't TMMT just buy cratos' team to begin with?

TMMT is the shittiest organization led by the shittiest scumbag in the scene. Dude's the most disrespectful, condescending, womanizing, despicable, vile figure that has "leadership" because he's been throwing money at the scene for the past year or two. Zach's his name, spewing shit is his game.

Yep, can't support my 3rd favorite player now. First Cratos now TMMT? ugh Naded.

m23

Smash 64 is my Halo CE. That game is LUV.

On the discussion of sprint/thrusters, I'd be more fine with them if the Pistol didn't feel so inadequate against competent players/teams. I generally like the improvements made to the Pistol after previous games, and I understand that if they make it too strong that 4v4's/higher player counts may suffer, but that's why I think they should consider different Pistols for different playlists. For example, the CE Pistol is a good fit for Doubles, whereas the standard H5 Pistol is a better fit for 8v8's (RIP BTB Pistol starts). For 4v4's I think there's a better balance to be struck between the CE Pistol and what we have now.

Smash 64 is best Smash.

I don't follow the personal lives of the halo pro league players closely, but I always see people harping on Cratos lol. What is it about him that people dislike so much?
Smash 64 is my Halo CE. That game is LUV.

On the discussion of sprint/thrusters, I'd be more fine with them if the Pistol didn't feel so inadequate against competent players/teams. I generally like the improvements made to the Pistol after previous games, and I understand that if they make it too strong that 4v4's/higher player counts may suffer, but that's why I think they should consider different Pistols for different playlists. For example, the CE Pistol is a good fit for Doubles, whereas the standard H5 Pistol is a better fit for 8v8's (RIP BTB Pistol starts). For 4v4's I think there's a better balance to be struck between the CE Pistol and what we have now.
Smash 64 is best Smash.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Was I mistaken? I thought Clamber would set off the Ability Tracker in Proving Grounds, but it seems not to.

yeah, they mentioned clamber in the prerelease article as a spartan ability that would trigger it but it doesnt. thank god.

Haruko

yeah, they mentioned clamber in the prerelease article as a spartan ability that would trigger it but it doesnt. thank god.

I think I'm OK with it either way, but I was curious to see the higher importance of crouch jumps > clamber if the prerelease article was accurate

It works in custom games if you set clamber to show on radar. I think it was a last minute gameplay decision that wasn't communicated rather than an improper rollout.

After publicly stating it would be on radar, then flubbing the playlist roll-out twice? I dunno, bruh.

Munch, consider how "taking the time to crouch-walk" sometimes negatively impacts your team. Crouching around is very, very slow, I'm sure you'll agree with that, so while you're crawling around playing you're own game, your teammates are more than likely being outnumbered elsewhere.

You may personally find it rewarding, but players who frequently play this slow, methodical game are not being as effective as a teammate because most randoms and teams don't play that way, unless both teams are equally matched which rarely happens with H5's rather unbalanced matchmaking. You may be more reserved in your playstyle, but that could potentially leave your team at a disadvantage in key situations where you're focusing so much on one kill, taking so much time to make one single play. In that time the enemies could be gaining momentum, positioning themselves properly and collecting pickups around the map.

If you're a sneaky player, this new radar should be better for you because you're not limited to crouching, allowing you to be more creative in sneaky approaches and getaways.

Maybe I'll adjust and like this more in the end, who knows. But to say that the one play of me sneaking a flank is always costing my team is not true. Sure in a non communicating team I wouldn't be much help, but if I'm getting a flank and taking out one or two of the enemy player they won't be setting up at all. Thus giving my team an opportunity to get better positions etc.

I suppose in the long run this will force teams to communicate more, which I can certainly get behind. But I'd rather just do without a radar completely than have one that tells me information only on players that are running or thrusting. I'm not saying I won't adjust, if it becomes standard I will.

I'm simply saying if the goal is to promote teamwork and remove the campiness the solution is the same it's always been, remove the radar. I can't stand having a motion tracker that isn't a fully functional motion tracker. This new iteration wouldn't bother me if this change was made for the next game, or had H5 started off with this iteration of radar. But as it is it will simply throw me off because after years of having a reliable motion tracker it's now a radar instead.

Amazing that 343 has made me join the no radar camp. Jesus.

Trup1aya

Maybe I'll adjust and like this more in the end, who knows. But to say that the one play of me sneaking a flank is always costing my team is not true. Sure in a non communicating team I wouldn't be much help, but if I'm getting a flank and taking out one or two of the enemy player they won't be setting up at all. Thus giving my team an opportunity to get better positions etc.

I suppose in the long run this will force teams to communicate more, which I can certainly get behind. But I'd rather just do without a radar completely than have one that tells me information only on players that are running or thrusting. I'm not saying I won't adjust, if it becomes standard I will.

I'm simply saying if the goal is to promote teamwork and remove the campiness the solution is the same it's always been, remove the radar. I can't stand having a motion tracker that isn't a fully functional motion tracker. This new iteration wouldn't bother me if this change was made for the next game, or had H5 started off with this iteration of radar. But as it is it will simply throw me off because after years of having a reliable motion tracker it's now a radar instead.

This isn't a motion tracker, it's a ability tracker :)

Computer

Just started listening/watching the LCQ edition. Good stuff.

Thank you for the support. We are one of the very few competitive Halo content creators that make content every week. If not the only one. HCS Rivals was a big hit hope we can find the time to make more.

But the use of the motion tracker was always caused camping and standoffs.

Sure, you won't see me disagree with that point. But battles of just "Who can out BR the best" shouldn't be the only winning strategy in these games. A functional motion tracker allows people to flank with more knowledge. Yes this may slow down game play but it prevents the game from becoming H2's four shot bonanza which I've just never been fond of. I like double melees. I like SMGs and shotguns. Diversity to accomplish a goal is what makes this game to me.

Personally I thought the smaller radius in H5 worked best. Tons of information, but only for what's super close to you.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for the support. We are one of the very few competitive Halo content creators that make content every week. If not the only one. HCS Rivals was a big hit hope we can find the time to make more.

No problem. Definitely going to try and watch on a consistent basis.

Trup1aya

Sure, you won't see me disagree with that point. But battles of just "Who can out BR the best" shouldn't be the only winning strategy in these games. A functional motion tracker allows people to flank with more knowledge. Yes this may slow down game play but it prevents the game from becoming H2's four shot bonanza which I've just never been fond of. I like double melees. I like SMGs and shotguns. Diversity to accomplish a goal is what makes this game to me.

Personally I thought the smaller radius in H5 worked best. Tons of information, but only for what's super close to you.

If anything, the ability tracker allows for FAR more diversity of engagements.

The motion tracker doesn't allow you to flank with MORE knowledge. The same knowledge is still available through other means. It just gives you free-knowledge that you otherwise would have had to earn via your eyesight, hearing, communitcation and intuition. Then, the motion tracker in limits your ability to flank, by forcing you to move at a snails pace.

The only strategy he ability tracker has made less effective is camping.

I like Melees, smgs and shotguns as much as the next guy. But I prefer the effective use of these tools to be the result of skillful positioning and awareness, not a HUD element giving you a reward for sitting still.

jem0208

This new radar absolutely promotes diversity in gameplay. A full motion tracker effectively neuters a players ability to flank because they're collapsed upon as soon as they're seen on radar. The ability tracker allows the player to move into positions with much more freedom. It's far easier to engage in close quarters combat with the ability tracker than full motion tracker.

No radar is the best way to play Halo, or at least it was when there was only one movement speed, so you didn't have to worry about someone sprinting up behind you to shoulder charge. No radar also allows vertical maps to play well, whereas in Reach for example we had nonsense like Sword Base where high Onyx gameplay revolved around people crouching at the bottom of the map to stay off radar. That obviously still would have happened on Sword Base, but it would be less rewarded.

This new radar absolutely promotes diversity in gameplay. A full motion tracker effectively neuters a players ability to flank because they're collapsed upon as soon as they're seen on radar. The ability tracker allows the player to move into positions with much more freedom. It's far easier to engage in close quarters combat with the ability tracker than full motion tracker.

I'm not sure that'll hold entirely true concerning close quarters. Perhaps if something could be done about the FOV. But being able to see what the surrounding enemy players are doing, who will generally be at walking speed in close quarters situations is almost essential.

For example, I've came into bases with four enemy players more times than I can count. In those situations where I'm holding a sword or a shotty I can't maintain all 4 on screen in most cases. That extra knowledge of "there's two to my right", or "the 4th one is directly behind me" is pivotal in slaying them down in the correct order. Now with the requirements of needing them to sprint to see them on radar it will be far, far less successful than ever before. Which is a weakening of close quarters altogether. Spinning in a 360 motion won't correct this.

And I say this from experience. Shit, for the longest time my whole fixation on this game was being an outrageous close quarters player. Not knowing where those players are who are very close to you in that situation will cost you your life. Sure, as always you should have your team aiding you. Sure, don't blindly rush in. But what I'm talking about is without at least a very small motion tracker it will be very difficult to find success with those close the gap strategies.

No radar is the best way to play Halo, or at least it was when there was only one movement speed, so you didn't have to worry about someone sprinting up behind you to shoulder charge. No radar also allows vertical maps to play well, whereas in Reach for example we had nonsense like Sword Base where high Onyx gameplay revolved around people crouching at the bottom of the map to stay off radar. That obviously still would have happened on Sword Base, but it would be less rewarded.

God damn I miss Sword base. In my experience it was people camping the top lifts but man that was a fun objective map.

Just wanted to note that I said sometimes, not always :]

You silly H1 players and your double speak ;)

jem0208

I'm not sure that'll hold entirely true concerning close quarters. Perhaps if something could be done about the FOV. But being able to see what the surrounding enemy players are doing, who will generally be at walking speed in close quarters situations is almost essential.

For example, I've came into bases with four enemy players more times than I can count. In those situations where I'm holding a sword or a shotty I can't maintain all 4 on screen in most cases. That extra knowledge of "there's two to my right", or "the 4th one is directly behind me" is pivotal in slaying them down in the correct order. Now with the requirements of needing them to sprint to see them on radar it will be far, far less successful than ever before. Which is a weakening of close quarters altogether. Spinning in a 360 motion won't correct this.

And I say this from experience. Shit, for the longest time my whole fixation on this game was being an outrageous close quarters player. Not knowing where those players are who are very close to you in that situation will cost you your life. Sure, as always you should have your team aiding you. Sure, don't blindly rush in. But what I'm talking about is without at least a very small motion tracker it will be very difficult to find success with those close the gap strategies.

God damn I miss Sword base. In my experience it was people camping the top lifts but man that was a fun objective map.

You silly H1 players and your double speak ;)

Consider the information which motion tracker gives to them though. With motion tracker you're forced to crawl to their base to make sure they don't see your red dot, this massively reduces the likelihood of actually engaging in a close quarters battle becuse the longer you take getting there the more likely you'll be noticed. Not to mention it's really boring crouch walking around.

Voho

I like the new settings, but I really hope they keep the ability tracker confined to ranked, and continue to use the motion tracker for social/campaign/co-op. In the heavily competitive scene, it makes sense, but it doesn't have any positives (IMO) to the more "relaxed" experiences offered by the game.

Isn't it very likely that they'd be shooting at you in this specific situation, which would make them appear on the Ability Tracker as well? If they aren't, they're probably unaware of your presence and you should have plenty of time to look around and take care of them, especially with a sword/shotty.

Consider the information which motion tracker gives to them though. With motion tracker you're forced to crawl to their base to make sure they don't see your red dot, this massively reduces the likelihood of actually engaging in a close quarters battle becuse the longer you take getting there the more likely you'll be noticed. Not to mention it's really boring crouch walking around.

I'm not forced to slow down and disappear off radar until I'm close enough. It's not as if I'd be crouch walking across an entire map to get to them. And agree to disagree on the boring part of it. I never minded quite literally sneaking up on someone. I'd say suspenseful more than anything.

And in many ways I could use their motion tracker against them. Get close enough where they see me pop up for a moment, only to back off just outside of tracker range. If you're fortunate a couple of them break off to hunt you down only for you to then have the drop on them.

Isn't it very likely that they'd be shooting at you in this specific situation, which would make them appear on the Ability Tracker as well? If they aren't, they're probably unaware of your presence and you should have plenty of time to look around and take care of them, especially with a sword/shotty.

It's valid that if they're shooting me I'd essentially have the same info on the tracker. But every extra second is crucial in a situation like that, it's to my advantage to snuff those lives out before they open fire. If all four are on the new ability tracker I've probably already failed and will die. Where as I could have the same level of info from the motion tracker without all four already loading into me.

finally got around to play 1 game of Proving Grounds. This was on The Rig with Strongholds.

With the new motion tracker i felt like i shouldn't use my abilities at all and just walk everywhere. It felt really slow compared to my usual run slide jump crouch clamber type of activities.

I dont think this is for me because i really like to use the new abilities, and very often. Granted it was on a map im not very fond us and it was only one game,. but that is my first impression. so far, 3 out of 10 stars.

jem0208

I tried out proving grounds... I'd rather just have no radar.

Didn't find it fun.
What about it was boring? Why would you prefer no radar?
finally got around to play 1 game of Proving Grounds. This was on The Rig with Strongholds.

With the new motion tracker i felt like i shouldn't use my abilities at all and just walk everywhere. It felt really slow compared to my usual run slide jump crouch clamber type of activities.

I dont think this is for me because i really like to use the new abilities, and very often. Granted it was on a map im not very fond us and it was only one game,. but that is my first impression. so far, 3 out of 10 stars.

You can definitely still use the abilities, you just need to be more careful and aware when you use them. I still often use them when I find myself out of position or if I want to very quickly flank or push. For example on CTF I've used thrust sliding a number of times to over extend and grab their flag when they're on the attack. The ability tracker forces you to really think about how you move around the map. Using sprint etc. becomes an strategic decision rather than just the default.

I think it's fantastic.

m23

You can definitely still use the abilities, you just need to be more careful and aware when you use them. I still often use them when I find myself out of position or if I want to very quickly flank or push. For example on CTF I've used thrust sliding a number of times to over extend and grab their flag when they're on the attack. The ability tracker forces you to really think about how you move around the map. Using sprint etc. becomes an strategic decision rather than just the default.

I think it's fantastic.

I felt forced into not using the abilities, yet the maps are designed around those abilities. So I'm being punished for using the very same abilities they pushed for.

That's how I feel at least. Might be dumb reasoning but yeah.

jem0208

I felt forced into not using the abilities, yet the maps are designed around those abilities. So I'm being punished for using the very same abilities they pushed for.

That's how I feel at least. Might be dumb reasoning but yeah.
It doesn't really punish you for using them, it just encourages normal movement. It does force you to be more considerate in how and when you use the abilities though. As I said before, using sprint and thrust etc. is now an actual strategic decision. There's some thought required.

I also think the maps play far better now that you don't have people flying around all over the place constantly. The game feels more like classic Halo which is actually quite nice.

I think it's fantastic.

That's cool Jem. I still stand by my post.

Trup1aya

You prolly need to play it a few more times. You only show up on the radar during the instant you use a ability. So your run thrust slide jump is actually MORE stealthy now than before, especially if you start the move from over 25m from your opponent. The entirety of your air time is off radar.

My overall speed has seen a net increase as i can fly without penalty, ghost jump AND i never have to crouch - walk

Also clamber doesnt show up.

Sounds like you went in with a mental block - which is understandable given the drastic change. But the way you 'felt' you have to play isn't actually how you have to play to be successful.

You prolly need to play it a few more times. You only show up on the radar during the instant you use a ability. So your run thrust slide jump is actually MORE stealthy now than before, especially if you start the move from over 25m from your opponent. The entirety of your air time is off radar.

My overall speed has seen a net increase as o can fly without penalty, ghost jump AND i never have to crouch - walk

Also clamber doesnt store up

ah, so while im moving fast in the air im off radar. i didnt know that.

Top Bottom