• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
allegiance eliminated...

someone remind me, how do teams qualify for pro league? is there a post world's tourney, or series of tournies?

mo60

Congrats anyways for the platinum rating! I guess I should give proving grounds a try, maybe I get lucky? ;)

I heard of pro players ranking at platinum after their 10 placements in proving grounds so I don't think you will get that lucky.

I don't mind going negative in 1 or 2 rounds, really. It's just about the bad map, a dumb smurf account (assume it was) and somebody feeling the need to insult me right away. Some days you just can't deal with that shit.

I don't care if I my K/D is negative in the occasional match, but after a few placement matches in proving grounds I started getting pummeled by players on the other team in my remaining placement matches which is insane.The game wasn't really placing me close to my skill level at that point but way above it.I don't know if I want to play proving grounds anymore to lower my rank back to silver or low gold rank.

Been out of the Halo loop for a couple weeks due to BOTW but looking to get back in...really excited to hear about Proving Grounds. Tuning into this EG Splyce loser finals right now.

just a few more first strikes to go and that'll be done.

I think kill marines jumped ahead of buckle up?
spawn a sniper when you see a smoking wasp, pretty easy way to get that one but it'll cost you a sniper rifle

klaus

just a few more first strikes to go and that'll be done.

I think kill marines jumped ahead of buckle up?
spawn a sniper when you see a smoking wasp, pretty easy way to get that one but it'll cost you a sniper rifle

That's the good thing about being placed in wood tier - got us lots of first strikes, assassinations & spartan charges over the weekend.

Akai__

Ha vent gotten mercy yet (or overgrowth or molteb, thankgod), but a lot of the maps in proving grounds have changed to them happy to hear power weapons may have been removed from mercy. A modified radar and far less cheese would go a long ways for that other wise decent, though not hcs ready, map.

The new Radar actually helped a lot. It's incredible how much I could flank without being immediately seen. Well, I was placed at something in Gold, so I'm not sure if some of these plays could be pulled in Onyx and above, but I'm pretty sure that it opens up way more opportunities for players.

Stasis is the remix and it's good, so... :p

You know what they say. The Exception proves the rule.

I also don't see Stasis as the Remix, knowing that the map was actually 2 years in development, which really shows. Not sure how long Torque took, but I doubt that anybody put much thought into that map. Pretty much feel like they made the map specifically for Team Assault and that's it.

I don't care if I my K/D is negative in the occasional match, but after a few placement matches in proving grounds I started getting pummeled by players on the other team in my remaining placement matches which is insane.The game wasn't really placing me close to my skill level at that point but way above it.I don't know if I want to play proving grounds anymore to lower my rank back to silver or low gold rank.

That's something that I already expected when I was going in Solo into that playlist. August was the last time I actually played seriously with a couple occasional matches in the last few months, so I knew that I'd also perform pretty bad. It really didn't bother me, it was just this match were three dumb things alligned and made me frustrated. I just usually don't go Solo into MM, especially in these playlists were you know that you will face better players and Teams, because of these reasons.

belushy

Banned
Always cool to see important Halo streams go until 2am EST on a Monday.

Every series was a bo7. Would you prefer they just postpone the grand finals until the next day? There was a point where they held Splyce and ALG from playing until the WBF was over. If they let that match go ahead off screen the stream would easily have ended before 12, but then we would have people whining about not seeing one of the biggest elimination matches....

You know what they say. The Exception proves the rule.

I also don't see Stasis as the Remix, knowing that the map was actually 2 years in development, which really shows. Not sure how long Torque took, but I doubt that anybody put much thought into that map. Pretty much feel like they made the map specifically for Team Assault and that's it.

Eden is better than Empire, in fact Eden is one of my, if not my favorite map(s).

But I get your point, remixes aren't the best idea.

They need to box the bases on torque like Stasis and the map could be alright

This is and fix the lighting.

CyReN

Every series was a bo7. Would you prefer they just postpone the grand finals until the next day? There was a point where they held Splyce and ALG from playing until the WBF was over. If they let that match go ahead off screen the stream would easily have ended before 12, but then we would have people whining about not seeing one of the biggest elimination matches....

I know we are quick to complain but nothing should run until 3am EST on a Monday unless you're seeing LOTR at a midnight show. I don't want to hear what WE should do to improve it, obviously it has to be planned out better. We aren't the ones getting paid to run these event, THEY ARE.

Fuchsdh

Only skimmed it, but there's some interesting sruff.

The bit about parties generally playing worse is an interesting one, and it's one of those statistics that would be invisible to most players—you only notice when you get stomped by the other team, rarely otherwise. It's something I've noticed in Dota 2 because you get team MMR and can compare versus solo MMR.

On a side note, I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Waypoint forums recently. Yeah, they're still official forums, but either the community has gotten slightly more intelligent or they're moderating a lot more of the dumb stuff so I never see it. The lore forums, in particular, used to be absolute dumpster fires.

jem0208

The bit about parties generally playing worse is an interesting one, and it's one of those statistics that would be invisible to most players—you only notice when you get stomped by the other team, rarely otherwise. It's something I've noticed in Dota 2 because you get team MMR and can compare versus solo MMR.

On a side note, I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Waypoint forums recently. Yeah, they're still official forums, but either the community has gotten slightly more intelligent or they're moderating a lot more of the dumb stuff so I never see it. The lore forums, in particular, used to be absolute dumpster fires.
Don't read the proving grounds feedback thread then.

Madness

I think Halo 6 will see some nice changes. I like that he mentions bringing challenges/missions back.

Yes, I agree. It's not something we can fairly represent in Halo 5, but my personal design philosophy agrees with you that we should have a way to both:

•Make it clear that winning as a team is still the highest bar to achieve.

•Reward and account for great individual performances, even when you lose
I like this point but prior to H5 release he said the exact opposite about how he wanted win/loss to be the only primary way to rank up and how people would do things like steal kills or watch their teammates get killed so they stay higher etc. Also, I mean he made the ranking system and then literally bailed to help Activision, so I am not too happy with how he plans to fix and whatnot.

I probably think H5 has had some of the worst matchmaking and ranking since I have started. Full of quitters, smurfs, uneven matching etc. Lets get rid of these useless SR numbers and bring back visible ranks at least for XP if they want to maintain their 'divisions' for actual ranks.

So I am not really holding out hope Halo 6 will be any better in this regard.

belushy

Banned
I know we are quick to complain but nothing should run until 3am EST on a Monday unless you're seeing LOTR at a midnight show. I don't want to hear what WE should do to improve it, obviously it has to be planned out better. We aren't the ones getting paid to run these event, THEY ARE.

They are getting paid to run it, and it ran pretty smoothly. All it did was run on a little too long, which makes sense since it was a 16 team double elim tourney, all best of 7s.

-------------------

edit: Menke's reasoning for not adding soloq is lame.... I mean I see where he is coming from but I think solo q is too important. Hopefully Halo 6.......

BTW I kind want to make a HWC 2017 (for the Worlds event itself not general hcs discussion) Gaming side thread. I'm sure it won't get many posts but maybe a few more will tune into the stream. Any thoughts on what I should put in it? Storylines, HWC season recap?

Cranster

Banned
Yeah, agreed. Still don't understand how 343i just threw their design philosophy out of the window when they made those maps. And people jumped on me when I said that Remix maps don't sound good... Funny how that turned out.
That's what happens when the pro-team becomes too involved in active game development. Certain Affinity/Max Hoberman also was not involved with Halo 5's development unlike Halo 4. So that didn't help either.

jem0208

They are getting paid to run it, and it ran pretty smoothly. All it did was run on a little too long, which makes sense since it was a 16 team double elim tourney, all best of 7s.

-------------------

edit: Menke's reasoning for not adding soloq is lame.... I mean I see where he is coming from but I think solo q is too important. Hopefully Halo 6.......

BTW I kind want to make a HWC 2017 (for the Worlds event itself not general hcs discussion) Gaming side thread. I'm sure it won't get many posts but maybe a few more will tune into the stream. Any thoughts on what I should put in it? Storylines, HWC season recap?
Yeah, I feel like a gamingside thread is a good idea.

Trup1aya

That's what happens when the pro-team becomes too involved in active game development. Certain Affinity/Max Hoberman also was not involved with Halo 5's development unlike Halo 4. So that didn't help either.

Pro team involvement didn't make these bad.

They didn't help design maps, except the launch breakout maps - which are actual better maps than many of the official maps.

If pro team significantly influenced the maps early on, we'd have maps that pros actually like and the maps would actually be balanced.

Quite the opposite, these maps weren't made for competitive play and that's why they're bad.

Madness

Quite the opposite, these maps weren't made for competitive play and that's why they're bad.

People greatly overestimate how much input the pro team has. They are basically being used as glorified testers. At the end of the day, the buck stops with Quinn and the other lead MP designers and map designers and art directors for how Halo 5 turns out.

IHaveIce

Banned
Maps are not done by the proteam, Halo 4 had not one good 4v4 map except Haven, and even that is only by H4 standards.

Certain Affinity's maps always had way too many power weapons, often were overdesigned and not for competitive play.

So come again, none of what you said fits.

The proteam has bare to none input on a lot of stuff, they are used as testers that are so good that normal 343 employees see what the pros see as easy to abuse. Reason why descope is in, proteam members would snipe 343 employees eventhough they got shot all the time.

How liberated Halo 5's gameplay becomes when the radar doesn't track every movement. Crouch camping completely eliminated as an effective tactic. And those sweet, sweet jukes.

I'm unsure I can go back to any other playlist in the game now. Full radar is just so oppressive.

mo60

That's something that I already expected when I was going in Solo into that playlist. August was the last time I actually played seriously with a couple occasional matches in the last few months, so I knew that I'd also perform pretty bad. It really didn't bother me, it was just this match were three dumb things alligned and made me frustrated. I just usually don't go Solo into MM, especially in these playlists were you know that you will face better players and Teams, because of these reasons.

Usually it's not to bad in team arena for me, but it was way worse during my placement and non placement matches I played in proving grounds. I got locked at a really high MMR at one point during my placements so I started facing plat level and maybe even diamond tier players after a few placement matches in proving grounds. Just hope next season I don't get locked to platinum rank if the playlist is still around by then.Also, I won 8/10 of my placement matches in proving grounds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Cratos is a douche, he fucked over bubu, but I gotta give him credit - they preformed at vegas. It would be one thing if they were a shitty 9-12th place team in pro league, as was expected before picking up danoxide, but they are clearly way better than that. GG panda

SUCCESS, HOPE, SIX.....

Oh shit.

Whew, my family is safe

Well, I'm positive this will be one of the most unpopular opinions I ever post but here we go.

That new radar is not what I want in my Halo game. While it may cut down on camping it weakens my awareness overall. Yes, stick with your teammates. Yes, you shouldn't be watching the radar all game any ways. I've heard these arguments, I understand these arguments.

When holding the flag while waiting for two members of my team to hunt down the enemy carrier I've had enemy players, full walking speed mind you, open up before I was aware of their existence. Classically that would've required a slower more methodical crouch walk to get that close without being noticed. Now, why crouch walk at all? If the enemy player isn't sprinting right up, the radar is useless when playing defense.

I've been in firefights fully aware of the three enemies ahead of me, only to realize the fourth is to my 7 o clock, again at full walking speed, but it's too late to counter now. He's only on my radar once his rounds are shredding into me.

Ill be the first to admit I'm a happy camper, love my Sword use or really any close quarters weaponry. But these changes punish everyone's awareness. With walking speed being as fast as it is, and with Sprint being more penalized than ever why would you ever Sprint unless to get away from a bad situation? I can see the idea they were going for but at the end of the day it seems to only emphasize blind spots for a long time Halo player.

Perhaps if walking speed were a little slower thus pushing the desire to Sprint for players I could understand. But I feel like these changes just try to take us back to the classic Halo 2 team of four with BR's being the best strategy in all cases. And while for many that's a good thing I've always relished the myriad of ways I could kill in Halo. Now Spartan charging feels like a guaranteed way to throw yourself to your death more than ever, so why have it at all? If an enemy doesn't have to sneak in to a base for flag or return what's the use of crouch walking at all?

I'll keep playing Proving grounds to see how this continues to feel but it makes all of my Halo strategies seem useless excluding the standard "stay together and out shoot them."

I can't believe I'm about to say this sentence but if this is my choice I think I'd rather just not have radar. But both of those options make me want to play the game far less.

Top Bottom