• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

Seriously. A shot from the Blaze of Glory can stop Warthogs at full speed and Ghosts mid-thrust (and repel the ghost long enough to actually destroy it!), it should be the one Kelly has in the next game.

Well, Blaze of Glory was in the campaign, I don't think Oathsworn was.

I guess the advantage is you get a indefinite speed boost for 1 req energy with it. Not entirely sure it's worth it though.

Karl2177

Speaking of Customs, I hosted one publicly recently but no one joined :[

Guess it needed more Infection..

lol
I tried hosting one a few times to get some gameplay on my maps. The first time was great, got 8 players super quick, most stuck around, and we played a bunch of HaloGAF maps. The past 2 times, not a single player joined.

belushy

Banned
If people want to try and run PC customs hit me up.

edit: Also lul

C8MwfbjV0AAs_4T.jpg

TCKaos

I tried hosting one a few times to get some gameplay on my maps. The first time was great, got 8 players super quick, most stuck around, and we played a bunch of HaloGAF maps. The past 2 times, not a single player joined.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the population is leaving or what, but I used to get 16 players in a lobby for BTB on Coagulation pretty quick. Now I get 4-5 max, and that's during prime time hours on the weekend.

Trup1aya

So all REQ sales from January(?) onward added 25k to the prize pool? lol.

Venue looks dope!
arena-seating.jpg

Hopefully it means more money and more events total. And no more jiffy lube venues.

We all know it'll be filled by only a quarter of the floor space

Well yeah, of course. But there will be plenty of space To have a main stage viewing area that seats everyone, plus a decent sized feature station area, viewing space for people who want to watch side stations, and area for any festivities they want to have.

It doesn't really have to fill the arena, it just needs to offer a good experience.

edit: Also lul

I think Frank truly means well, but stretches himself too thin with online interaction. He has made statements like that or "misspoke" enough where I don't trust what he says.. Not cuz I think he's trying to deceive, but because he's not a developer intimately acquainted with the tech and code. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Everytime I boot up the MCC I'm very upset it's not what it should have been and was promised to be.

IHaveIce

Banned
Awesome
So all REQ sales from January(?) onward added 25k to the prize pool? lol.

Venue looks dope!
arena-seating.jpg
Well there is nothing the game anymore to be worth buying reqs for
Probably putting most of the req money towards the dreamhack pools.

Also, called it:
Lmao why would you do a thread about this.
The venue one had a legitimate reason, even if you are a goddamn shill

jem0208

Lmao why would you do a thread about this.
The venue one had a legitimate reason, even if you are a goddamn shill

'Halo World Championship gets record breaking viewership for HCS events'

vs

'Halo World Championship has a shabby and disappointing venue'

Seriously? A shit venue is apparently a bigger deal and more worthy of discussion?

Also, just to clarify, who are you accusing of being a shill here?

Gwyn

h6 talk

Let's start with the fact that h6 will probably release on pc...
Would you mind if xbox supported m+kb and there was multiplayer mainly cross play with pc?

So what i mean if you play on xbox with controller nothings changes you still get matched with console players.
If you decide to play with m+kb on xbox then you only get matched with pc players

Would that have a negative reception from the community? no impact at all? split the playerbase? etc etc

I personally wouldn't mind at all and i can see h6 competitive scene grow alot more since halo isn't really casual friendly(compared to other fps on console) and i see pc fps players prefer games with high skill cap

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I don't remember who it was (Trup1aya?), but someone here brought up the point the skill matchmaking would sort kb&m and pad users just fine, and I agree. Basically, if a lower skilled player gets an advantage from kb&m, they'll just be matched with better skilled pad players after winning games they otherwise shouldn't at their "true" skill level, advantage nullified.

As Halo fans, what do you all think of the new Destiny 2 trailer? I have to say, after i saw it i thought to myself: Bungie still got it. They can create hype for a product better than anyone else ive seen.

Gwyn

I don't remember who it was (Trup1aya?), but someone here brought up the point the skill matchmaking would sort kb&m and pad users just fine, and I agree. Basically, if a lower skilled player gets an advantage from kb&m, they'll just be matched with better skilled pad players after winning games they otherwise shouldn't at their "true" skill level, advantage nullified.

I can see this working unti low tier onyx players but going higher onyx+champion tier pc players will obviously have an advantage

As Halo fans, what do you all think of the new Destiny 2 trailer? I have to say, after i saw it i thought to myself: Bungie still got it. They can create hype for a product better than anyone else ive seen.

I haven't played D1 so D2 trailer did nothing to me :|
All i know is that d1 had a non existent story and multiplayer wasn't something to get hyped about combined with multiple "expansions" with more loot

I see destiny as game that you just endlessly farm for better loot kinda like diablo and i am not into that style of games

edit: forgot that 30 fps for a shooter is not something i would enjoy especially multiplayer

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I was let down. I don't think the cg trailer did a good job of capturing the feel, design, and tone of Destiny. Well, at least Destiny 1. Pretty sure I have nothing to worry about though, and that cg trailer only loosely is connected to the actual game (as most cg trailers are).

I can see this working unti low tier onyx players but going higher onyx+champion tier pc players will obviously have an advantage

True. Perhaps the different inputs could be added into matchmaking search filters. That way you could limit yourself to pad v pad.

Wonder where the professional community would go? Stick with pad as is traditional (though possibly limiting exposure and engagement)? Transition to kb&m? 2 separate leagues?

m23

Did absolutely nothing for me. I've played through Destiny including all the raids, save the ROI one.

They need to show me what they're fixing, a CG trailer doesn't do that.

jem0208

Meh, didn't do anything for me.

"Who gives a shit about all the dead people? There's loot!" basically summed up my lack of interest in the game. I enjoyed the gameplay loop in the first but the lack of a compelling narrative backbone meant I got bored fairly quickly. I can't see the second game fixing that, the trailer basically solidified that opinion.

I was let down. I don't think the cg trailer did a good job of capturing the feel, design, and tone of Destiny. Well, at least Destiny 1. Pretty sure I have nothing to worry about though, and that cg trailer only loosely is connected to the actual game (as most cg trailers are).

True. Perhaps the different inputs could be added into matchmaking search filters. That way you could limit yourself to pad v pad.

Wonder where the professional community would go? Stick with pad as is traditional (though possibly limiting exposure and engagement)? Transition to kb&m? 2 separate leagues?
I think it would be a shame if the pro scene transitioned to kb/m because the majority of current pros would be easily outplayed by pc players with a better aim.

They would maybe eventually catch up but I don't think it's a good idea. That said I can't see it happening. Competitive CoD is on console despite also being a PC game.

Also I think the fact that Halo is designed with console controls in mind would mean that the pro scene would see a big shift in how the game would be played if they used mouse. They'd have to redesign a number of different things to make it work.

h6 talk

Would you mind if xbox supported m+kb and there was multiplayer mainly cross play with pc?

So what i mean if you play on xbox with controller nothings changes you still get matched with console players.
If you decide to play with m+kb on xbox then you only get matched with pc players

Would that have a negative reception from the community? no impact at all? split the playerbase? etc etc

I personally wouldn't mind at all and i can see h6 competitive scene grow alot more since halo isn't really casual friendly(compared to other fps on console) and i see pc fps players prefer games with high skill cap

I've been primarily a lurker around GAF for years, but I'm around and I prefer to read rather than post, so I know how weird it can be for the lurkers to poke their heads out once in awhile.

But, as someone who played more than 500 hours in Destiny between the Closed Alpha up until Taken Kings release, and who has played that much or more of Halo 5 in the last year and a half, I thought the D2 trailer was completely disappointing and clearly told me that I am not Bungie's target audience.

I wrote a big post in the thread on Gaming about it, about how I played Destiny for the feel of it and the satisfaction/joy of play, rather than chasing the gear/items/progression. So I primarily played the Crucible, pretty much exclusively the whole time I played. I did play quite a bit of the PvE content too, but 80%+ of my time was dedicated to playing the PvP. When the gear grinds/progressions really started to bleed over into the Crucible post-Update 2.0, I turned Destiny off and I didn't look back.

Went to Halo 5 and never regretted it. Was playing Destiny for that sweet Bungie FPS multiplayer, but Halo 5's Arena is just that much more satisfying to me. It respects my time and energy, and for that I appreciate it.

In regards to Halo 6 and D2 being on PC, I hope that they force controller usage. Both Halo and Destiny are designed around how dual analog sticks are used to control character and camera. What I mean is, the pace of these games, the weapons, the maps, all of it, is designed around dual analog stick play and not Mouse and Keyboard.

If they jettison the 2 stick design that Bungie pioneered back in 2001, saying I'll be disappointed is an understatement. People who dismiss controller based FPS games, just don't have an appreciation for just how difficult it is to design FPS around this control method. It is MUCH more difficult to create an intuitive, skillful aiming system using the right balance of aim-assist and bullet magnetism, than it is to just say "Full range pointer input go".

I'd like to see them come to PC, but I'm hoping they force controller usage. I personally think that FPS is much more fun and much more immersive when playing a well designed controller based FPS.

I enjoyed Destiny 1 for what i played. I wont dismiss the disappointment i had when finishing the story/campaign, learning about the issue that occurred internally and how much story was cut.

The trailer felt okay to me. I took it as nothing serious and it did its job to keep me engaged. From the trailer i know the Tower has been attacked by The Empire and a guy named 'gary' lol. So i dont know much of what happened in d1 after house of wolves, but i thought the traveler was there to protect us from that kind of invasion/attack.

SO, with that, it has me intrigued and i really hope the story is more fleshed out this time. i'm in and im going to pick it up along side
SCORPIO

DJ Gunner

I think Frank truly means well, but stretches himself too thin with online interaction. He has made statements like that or "misspoke" enough where I don't trust what he says.. Not cuz I think he's trying to deceive, but because he's not a developer intimately acquainted with the tech and code. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Everytime I boot up the MCC I'm very upset it's not what it should have been and was promised to be.

I don't think it's an issue of Frank spreading himself too thin.

I think, whoever holds the corporate leash at 343, is very calculating about what in fact gets revealed/stated/admitted, about anything. See: 14 day buy and play. See: MCC. See: H5 sales figures. See: 2017 World Championship Venue. And so much else.

I appreciated his humility for the weeks after launch of the MCC, but it soon became clear that he (and the rest of 343) were ordered to stop discussing it and start hyping H5. Game wasn't even in the state it's in now when the H5 marketing blitz began.

I haven't played D1 so D2 trailer did nothing to me :|
All i know is that d1 had a non existent story and multiplayer wasn't something to get hyped about combined with multiple "expansions" with more loot

I see destiny as game that you just endlessly farm for better loot kinda like diablo and i am not into that style of games

edit: forgot that 30 fps for a shooter is not something i would enjoy especially multiplayer

Did absolutely nothing for me. I've played through Destiny including all the raids, save the ROI one.

They need to show me what they're fixing, a CG trailer doesn't do that.

Meh, didn't do anything for me.

"Who gives a shit about all the dead people? There's loot!" basically summed up my lack of interest in the game. I enjoyed the gameplay loop in the first but the lack of a compelling narrative backbone meant I got bored fairly quickly. I can't see the second game fixing that, the trailer basically solidified that opinion.

I think it would be a shame if the pro scene transitioned to kb/m because the majority of current pros would be easily outplayed by pc players with a better aim.

They would maybe eventually catch up but I don't think it's a good idea. That said I can't see it happening. Competitive CoD is on console despite also being a PC game.

Also I think the fact that Halo is designed with console controls in mind would mean that the pro scene would see a big shift in how the game would be played if they used mouse. They'd have to redesign a number of different things to make it work.

I've been primarily a lurker around GAF for years, but I'm around and I prefer to read rather than post, so I know how weird it can be for the lurkers to poke their heads out once in awhile.

But, as someone who played more than 500 hours in Destiny between the Closed Alpha up until Taken Kings release, and who has played that much or more of Halo 5 in the last year and a half, I thought the D2 trailer was completely disappointing and clearly told me that I am not Bungie's target audience.

I wrote a big post in the thread on Gaming about it, about how I played Destiny for the feel of it and the satisfaction/joy of play, rather than chasing the gear/items/progression. So I primarily played the Crucible, pretty much exclusively the whole time I played. I did play quite a bit of the PvE content too, but 80%+ of my time was dedicated to playing the PvP. When the gear grinds/progressions really started to bleed over into the Crucible post-Update 2.0, I turned Destiny off and I didn't look back.

Went to Halo 5 and never regretted it. Was playing Destiny for that sweet Bungie FPS multiplayer, but Halo 5's Arena is just that much more satisfying to me. It respects my time and energy, and for that I appreciate it.

In regards to Halo 6 and D2 being on PC, I hope that they force controller usage. Both Halo and Destiny are designed around how dual analog sticks are used to control character and camera. What I mean is, the pace of these games, the weapons, the maps, all of it, is designed around dual analog stick play and not Mouse and Keyboard.

If they jettison the 2 stick design that Bungie pioneered back in 2001, saying I'll be disappointed is an understatement. People who dismiss controller based FPS games, just don't have an appreciation for just how difficult it is to design FPS around this control method. It is MUCH more difficult to create an intuitive, skillful aiming system using the right balance of aim-assist and bullet magnetism, than it is to just say "Full range pointer input go".

I'd like to see them come to PC, but I'm hoping they force controller usage. I personally think that FPS is much more fun and much more immersive when playing a well designed controller based FPS.

I enjoyed Destiny 1 for what i played. I wont dismiss the disappointment i had when finishing the story/campaign, learning about the issue that occurred internally and how much story was cut.

The trailer felt okay to me. I took it as nothing serious and it did its job to keep me engaged. From the trailer i know the Tower has been attacked by The Empire and a guy named 'gary' lol. So i dont know much of what happened in d1 after house of wolves, but i thought the traveler was there to protect us from that kind of invasion/attack.

SO, with that, it has me intrigued and i really hope the story is more fleshed out this time. i'm in and im going to pick it up along side
SCORPIO

Honestly, im surprised to hear 'disappointment' in every answer. Is there still a little bitterness left from Bungie leaving Halo in those responses? ;)

I thought the trailer was bad ass. And personally, i like the direction bungie have taken with their game with this trailer. Its different enough from halo that theres a good reason to play both.

Honestly, i love halo. Thats my jam, but i feel like bungie get more 'what i want to play' then 343 does these days. As much as i love the halo5 mp.

I would have loved to see halo take that direction in a spinoff game, even though i know most of you would hate it.

my disappointment is with Destiny 1 launch vs Advertised trailers for the story. (remember old chicago? remember extra dialog on earth? remember the small glimpse of exploring areas and finding ruins like on the mountain side castle/tower?)

i have no disappointment with the Destiny 2 teaser and i look forward to see them really do something amazing since the last update with destiny 1 looks quite extraordinary. The gear looks fantastic too.

I just have my expectations in check and know that the gameplay will rule for me with this game. oh and also the visuals. mm i cant wait for some beautiful skyboxes

jem0208

Lol, I just lost a Truth Slayer 50-45 and I went -3, wasn't my best game but oh well, it's the first of the day. What do I get? A message saying nothing but "retard" from one of my teammates. So classy.

belushy

Banned

Yeah I can't hate Frank. I know he does his best. And it's probably reasons like that why they don't comment on forums much and promise much of anything. Stuff can and will change in this industry, and people will ride their ass for any comment they make and everyone has their own interpretation of said posts.

Madness

It doesn't work like that. It doesn't matter if the world's best driver driving a honda gets matched up with the world's worst driver driving an F1 car. There is an inherent advantage. You honestly are imagining the perfect utopia where there are enough players and perfect matchmaking parameters and skill where a kb/m shitty player gets matched against a better controller player. But come on, when has it ever been this simple or perfect?

In the end, you are playing an FPS against most people who would destroy controller players and we have seen it several times, KB/M is far more precise and superior. I would honestly stop playing Halo altogether and move on to another series, even what little I play, if they implemented this. PC players want to play with those on console, force controller use for them.

jem0208

Honestly, im surprised to hear 'disappointment' in every answer. Is there still a little bitterness left from Bungie leaving Halo in those responses? ;)

I thought the trailer was bad ass. And personally, i like the direction bungie have taken with their game with this trailer. Its different enough from halo that theres a good reason to play both.

Honestly, i love halo. Thats my jam, but i feel like bungie get more 'what i want to play' then 343 does these days. As much as i love the halo5 mp.

I would have loved to see halo take that direction in a spinoff game, even though i know most of you would hate it.

Honestly, I just found Destiny to be really disappointing.

The gameplay was initially quite satisfying until I realised the reason it felt good was because they made it so damn easy. Every weapon in that game feels like H5 sniper. The loop of "grind for loot, use loot to grind for more loot" held my interest for a small while but it ultimately felt completely pointless. Didn't help that the PvP was complete garbage.

Honestly, I just found Destiny to be really disappointing.

The gameplay was initially quite satisfying until I realised the reason it felt good was because they made it so damn easy. Every weapon in that game feels like H5 sniper. The loop of "grind for loot, use loot to grind for more loot" held my interest for a small while but it ultimately felt completely pointless. Didn't help that the PvP was complete garbage.

yeah the PvP was crap, on that we agree. Game could have been so much more, but i think the core is there for something wonderful, if done right.

I'll play on whatever the HCS and pros decide is their platform of choice for H6. I can't see them hosting tourneys for two different platforms but we'll see.

m23

What direction did they take? The trailer told us absolutely nothing other than a city is being attacked. I need to see how they're improving from Destiny 1. I know this trailer was to generate hype, but it didn't do anything to make me excited for the sequel. I like the core gameplay of destiny, but that's about it for now. A CG trailer won't change that.

Trup1aya

It doesn't work like that. It doesn't matter if the world's best driver driving a honda gets matched up with the world's worst driver driving an F1 car. There is an inherent advantage. You honestly are imagining the perfect utopia where there are enough players and perfect matchmaking parameters and skill where a kb/m shitty player gets matched against a better controller player. But come on, when has it ever been this simple or perfect?

In the end, you are playing an FPS against most people who would destroy controller players and we have seen it several times, KB/M is far more precise and superior. I would honestly stop playing Halo altogether and move on to another series, even what little I play, if they implemented this. PC players want to play with those on console, force controller use for them.

Of course there is an inherent advantage. But matchmaking systems look at your previous history and create matches based on your likelihood of winning- with an aim of giving each party a 50% chance.

Using your own analogy:

if I put an elite driver in a honda, and i put a 5 year old in a high performance vehicle, the elite drivers skills would easily carry him to victory.

If i put an elite driver in a honda, and i pit an average driver in an high performance vehicle, the advantage would be to the average driver, but the elite driver's COULD make it a close match.

If the historic data showed that average driver in the sports car was consistently beating the elite driver in the honda, the matchmaking system would begin to find him tougher opponents. It would start matching him against elite drivers in cars better than the honda and against other average drivers in high performance cars.

You can use statistical data to cancel out inherent control advantage by offsetting the advantage using higher skilled opponents OR by finding similarly skilled players using the same control method

regardless of the control methods allowed, if a MM system is creating matches where people are getting destroyed, that means it isnt adequately using historical data to figure out player chances of winning.

All the kbm players capable of destroying all the pad users would float to the top of the MM pool and match each other anyway.

If a kb/m player was in the middle of the pack, it would mean that he loses to pad users as often as he wins. If a guy is using a KBM, but cant climb out of gold despite his advantage, that means he's losing to platinum pad users and only winning 50% of his matches against gold pad users.

I can't wait for the H6 marketing to begin. Hopefully they'll show something at E3.
What direction did they take? The trailer told us absolutely nothing other than a city is being attacked. I need to see how they're improving from Destiny 1. I know this trailer was to generate hype, but it didn't do anything to make me excited for the sequel. I like the core gameplay of destiny, but that's about it for now. A CG trailer won't change that.
The trailer was lame imo. I didn't know there was this inside meta about loot within the actual game, or so people said regarding this Cayde dude that Nathan Fillion plays, but it was off-putting for me as someone who quickly fell off the Destiny train.

I'm still interested to see if they can win me back, but it's certainly not a day one purchase for me.

belushy

Banned
I'll play on whatever the HCS and pros decide is their platform of choice for H6. I can't see them hosting tourneys for two different platforms but we'll see.

I think they should honestly run the two together but start the PC scene out with a lot less funding and stuff. Then see if it grows naturally from there. I do think PC needs to get a scene with the new game.

m23

The trailer was lame imo. I didn't know there was this inside meta about loot within the actual game, or so people said regarding this Cayde dude that Nathan Fillion plays, but it was off-putting for me as someone who quickly fell off the Destiny train.

I'm still interested to see if they can win me back, but it's certainly not a day one purchase for me.

Same, no way it's day 1.

Back to Halo talk....who here is playing Wars 2??

Trup1aya

I can't wait for the H6 marketing to begin. Hopefully they'll show something at E3.

I too am anxiously awaiting the marketing. H5s marketing was so damn good. I was really impressed with HTT and how the writers tied characters and events from Bungie's era to 343 post-covenant era. It really got me excited for H5s campain.

Unfortunately H5 had nothing to do with anything.

Now I'm curious as to how marketing will be able to get people invested in a story arc that very few people have taken a liking to.

i think many of us are calling it like this;

Halo 6 beta Holiday 2017 or something like Dec-Jan when you purchase Crackdown 3 (to keep tradition) or maybe when you purchase Sea of Thieves. That would be really interesting.

I like the focus on the nathan fillion character. If he plays a bigger part in the game, id like that.

Halo 6 beta Holiday 2017 or something like Dec-Jan when you purchase Crackdown 3 (to keep tradition) or maybe when you purchase Sea of Thieves. That would be really interesting.

I hope they keep it at the minimum and keep it hidden until next year. A beta (a year before) with unfinished graphics and assets wont help them generate hype. If anything, it will hurt the game. They know their core MP is good, they dont need another beta thats so far in advance.

m23

Would be a good idea to push one of their games needing exposure much like Halo 3 did for Crackdown.

belushy

Banned
Hopefully they have a new observer mode in the works. would love to see that in a potential H6 beta.

Oh and forge beta. With real gametype crafting (or at least a bit more options)

Sort of mixed feelings.

The trailer itself wasn't very good. I get what they were trying to do, speaking to both of their audiences at once (serious shootbangers and for the lulz loot hunters) but ultimately, the serious side of things ended up just totally undercut by Cayde's (admittedly fairly funny) Go Ye Heroes Go And Die speech. So it was like half of a good trailer welded to half of a trailer that could've been good but just came across as kind of pretentious when contrasted with the humor. Also felt that whatsherface, the Warlock teacher, should've gotten her own speech. So it would've worked better in 2, maybe 3, different parts.

As for the game... I want to believe, mang. I love H5, I think 343 did a pretty great job on a lot of stuff, I'm still 100% on board for Halo, but it's Bungie. They built the house I love, I wanna love their new stuff, but holy god did I hate Destiny 1. Hate hate hate HATE. Hated the story (yes, it existed, it just SUCKED), hated that the lore wasn't even in the game, hated how goddamn shallow it was, hated the same-y loot and ludicrous grind to get it, hated the ridiculous number of loading screens to get anywhere, hated the random-ass multiplayer. They nailed the 15 seconds of fun, the problem was the subsequent part of the hour. So, like, I wanna believe. But I feel like I got burned so goddamn hard I needed skin grafts.

No way I'm touching this thing until at least a month after launch. Need to see if it holds up.

h6 talk

Separate matchmaking queues. The idea about letting skill matchmaking just fix everything is interesting, but then you end up in a situation where really, genuinely skilled console/pad players are stuck in lower ranks while less skilled MKB players lord it over them. Just a recipe for salt. Adding MKB compatibility to the 'bone and having separate (hidden) playlists is the way to go.

Gwyn

Separate matchmaking queues. The idea about letting skill matchmaking just fix everything is interesting, but then you end up in a situation where really, genuinely skilled console/pad players are stuck in lower ranks while less skilled MKB players lord it over them. Just a recipe for salt. Adding MKB compatibility to the 'bone and having separate (hidden) playlists is the way to go.

You mean separate mmr for players that decide to switch between controller and m/kb?

example: i play with controller then i get matched with diamond 3 players if i decide to play couple games with m/kb then h6 needs to show different mmr and match me accordingly

Top Bottom