• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I only wish Kazuma would riff on some classic themes more. New composers and sound directors don't like doing it because they all want to do their own thing, put their stamp on it. But I don't know, Halo had a very clear and recognizable theme. Look how much the monks instantly hit that nostalgia. Even with Breath of the Wild, some of the best themese like Hyrule Castle remix some classic stuff.

I still wouldn't mind having Marty back. He showed with Reach and Destiny, even with composing new stuff, he's still got it. But too busy with his new VR studio and that Golem game.

Don't forget about the amazing ODST score!

Tbh though, I loved Halo 4's new tunes. The mixing was just really poor for the most part... Still, listening to 117 during the trench run was and is incredible.
Other standouts: Nemesis, Arrival, Revival, Requiem, To Galaxy, Immaterial, and Green and Blue. TONS of memorable tracks, imo.

I agree. I honestly cant remember one song from 5 other than the one in the main menu. Thats usually a good sign that the music just isnt up to par (compared to marty's anyway).
I really liked Light is Green, The Trials (pure hype), and Crypt.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When a person has played the original trilogy a ton it is no surprise that that music will stick with you more. It is iconic and Marty is fantastic, but H4 and H5 scores are pretty great as well.

When a person has played the original trilogy a ton it is no surprise that that music will stick with you more. It is iconic and Marty is fantastic, but H4 and H5 scores are pretty great as well.

I dunno, i find like most part of the game since 343 took over, the music doesnt really "feel" like halo other than bits and pieces. Too much tron, not enough halo. I understand that they cant just copy paste the past over and over, but the old music was so good. Still gives me goosebumps. Id prefer that they went more in that style than the futuristic tron vibe they use.

Madness

I don't buy this at all. I can remember the Reach score, key moments of the campaign, and how I felt during those moments despite playing through the campaign once 7 years ago. I couldn't for the life of me tell you a single Halo 4 score, despite playing it slightly more than Reach and only 5 years ago, or even Halo 5 beyond the main menu, or Warzone entrance and victory themes.

The reason older scores sometimes stick is they are just so good the first time. Why is it we remember a million John Williams scores as opposed to other composers. Honestly, I can sort or remember Destiny music better than H4 music at this point.

I don't buy this at all. I can remember the Reach score, key moments of the campaign, and how I felt during those moments despite playing through the campaign once 7 years ago. I couldn't for the life of me tell you a single Halo 4 score, despite playing it slightly more than Reach and only 5 years ago, or even Halo 5 beyond the main menu, or Warzone entrance and victory themes.

The reason older scores sometimes stick is they are just so good the first time. Why is it we remember a million John Williams scores as opposed to other composers. Honestly, I can sort or remember Destiny music better than H4 music at this point.

Yes, because Marty has a style that you can notice immediately. And i agree, the Destiny music was much more memorable. I found myself humming it all the time.

There are some people that just "have it". Marty is one of those people.

edit: and Reach, that opening main menu music? Sick.

TCKaos

A couple of the newer songs have stuck with me, though I'd hesitate to call most of them iconic. The one that I'd say is iconic at this point is the Mantis theme. Shit is dope.

I'd like to play a custom game with a handful of the abilities disabled and base brought up to compensate. Like how would it play with sprint disabled, move speed at 125 (or something) but clamber still active? Or how does it play without smart link (I'm not even sure that's an option)?
Tac Mag starts, no sprint, no radar, etc.

belushy

Banned
To be honest everything needs to have a toggle in the next game. Classic aiming or Smart-scope, grenade hitmarkers toggle. Also wouldn't mind more indepth option for power ups. Like how long it lasts, stacking effects, pick up or instant, etc.

TCKaos

I'd like to play a custom game with a handful of the abilities disabled and base brought up to compensate. Like how would it play with sprint disabled, move speed at 125 (or something) but clamber still active? Or how does it play without smart link (I'm not even sure that's an option)?

Smart Link is sufficiently similar to the standard Halo zoom mechanic that I find its removal or alteration redundant at best.

Similarly, I think talking about overhauling complex movement mechanics is putting the cart ahead of the horse when there are still maps in matchmaking that you can literally walk out of and gametypes that you can still break. If the sustain team doesn't have the resources to hop into forge and put some invisible blockers onto areas that have been getting exploited for six plus months I don't think we should expect them to release Halo 5 Turbo anytime soon.

Karl2177

Smart Link is sufficiently similar to the standard Halo zoom mechanic that I find its removal or alteration redundant at best.

Similarly, I think talking about overhauling complex movement mechanics is putting the cart ahead of the horse when there are still maps in matchmaking that you can literally walk out of and gametypes that you can still break. If the sustain team doesn't have the resources to hop into forge and put some invisible blockers onto areas that have been getting exploited for six plus months I don't think we should expect them to release Halo 5 Turbo anytime soon.
Reduced cones in automatics in smart link is a sufficient enough reason for me to want to remove it. And I don't expect 343 to implement it at all. If there's anything they've learned from their Reach adoption, Halo 4, and MCC, it's that have fragmentation is real and that it's as detrimental as people leaving the game out right.

I agree. I honestly cant remember one song from 5 other than the one in the main menu. Thats usually a good sign that the music just isn't up to par (compared to Marty's anyway).

Don't know I think Halo 5 had some memorable tracks:

~Light is Green:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHt0tRnnPBc

~Scavengers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bBbp1haY0

~Advent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXFpFMUbwU

~The Trials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2FVLt5eBdw

~Walk Softly (H4's mantis remix):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrl3uHQ_dj0

~Blue Team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFgGhYu2RxQ

~Osiris Suite, Act 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_qlej-1ew

"Rock and Ice" would've been added too if they kept the OST version the same as the game version.

Madness

Promethean Vision Spartan Ability let's gooo

You know, they should have at least kept things like Jetpack and Promethean Vision and Hologram for custom games or gametypes. Imagine an Infection gametype where the Alpha Zombie has Promethean Vision. Jetpack to allow for things like Rock N Rail which was a good screw around game type in H4.

I don't get why Halo needs to have fewer or cut things rather than just adding. H6 should not launch with anything less than what we have for H5 right now. Customs browser, full forge, theater, etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Madness

I just shit on cratos. I can retire from halo.

7IKUjdI.jpg

I just love this gif too much.

JDB

Banned
I can picture a number of moments in the H5 campaign based off of the music playing at the time.

that time you fight Warden Eternal
that time you fight Warden Eternal again
that time you fight two Warden Eternals
that time you fight three Warden Eternals

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Madness

When? Where? And what happened lol

Vegas Qualifiers for World. Pnda Gaming and Cratos qualified by beating Allegiance. He was staring Spartan and them down. Earlier Trippey had thrown the choke sign at them. Then Cratos started trash talking back.

ActualSplendidJackal.gif

LqbqAesND0.gif

I love the animosity. Hate the everybody be friends and respectful stuff. Frosty shooting the NV skin was something so genius.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Vegas Qualifiers for World. Pnda Gaming and Cratos qualified by beating Allegiance. He was staring Spartan and them down. Earlier Trippey had thrown the choke sign at them. Then Cratos started trash talking back.

ActualSplendidJackal.gif

LqbqAesND0.gif

I love the animosity. Hate the everybody be friends and respectful stuff. Frosty shooting the NV skin was something so genius.

It's cool to point, but when it starts to get disrespectful and over the top then it gets annoying. Starts to look like the visualization of Xbox Live chat. No one wants that.

clav

You know, they should have at least kept things like Jetpack and Promethean Vision and Hologram for custom games or gametypes. Imagine an Infection gametype where the Alpha Zombie has Promethean Vision. Jetpack to allow for things like Rock N Rail which was a good screw around game type in H4.

I don't get why Halo needs to have fewer or cut things rather than just adding. H6 should not launch with anything less than what we have for H5 right now. Customs browser, full forge, theater, etc.

At this point, Agent Locke needs Armor Lock to make him an identifiable character.

Call him Armor Locke.

Trup1aya

It's cool to point, but when it starts to get disrespectful and over the top then it gets annoying. Starts to look like the visualization of Xbox Live chat. No one wants that.

Meh, without trash talk and stare downs, esports would never be taken as seriously as physical sports.

I love the stuff personally, as long as there's no threats of violence

Trup1aya

Does anyone enjoy Action Sack?

With all the high potential mini-games out there, they choose prop hunt? It's a cool gametype for custom games, but it doesn't work for matchmaking. People just quit out.

I can't deal with battle golf any longer.

I just can't deal with how stale this playlist is.

Fuchsdh

With all the high potential mini-games out there, they choose prop hunt? It's a cool gametype for custom games, but it doesn't work for matchmaking. People just quit out.

To be fair, a lot of even the classic mini games don't really work in a matchmaking environment. They should be updating the game modes more often, but my favorite ones aren't applicable either.

TCKaos

90% of the games are fun two or three times max, and then never again. Minotaurs, the snowball fight, paintball, Tank world...

The playlist desperately needs more Riftball maps, more race maps, more vehicle breakout modes, and a million other games like Duck Hunt. It just needs more everything as to break up the monotony, and none of those games should last too long or be too slow, because when I think "Fun mini game" I'm not thinking about slowly pushing a normal scorpion all across a forge canvas only to get shot once and lose any ensuing firefight because I couldn't see the enemy scorpion because it was far enough away that it hadn't rendered yet.

I like ground pound arena, Riftball, and those Lego king of the hill maps. I could lose everything else. Anything where you spent the majority of the match trying to find your opponent is terrible in matchmaking in my opinion.

In reference to the music, I think that a lot of people don't "remember" music from Halo 5, is because they don't want to. Halo 5 is one of the best OSTs on the series.

So many original, catchy tunes, and I think Kaz gets too much undue shade just purely because he's not Marty. Don't get me wrong, Marty's tunes were classic, but I think Kaz is just as good on a technical level as Marty.

They're two very different styles, and that's okay, and I think this is just another instance of Halo fans not liking change.

I don't really remember any H5 tunes but that's mostly because I barely remember any video game music. There's like one or two tracks I distinctly recall from the older games, and I'd probably mess those up if I tried to hum them.

Trup1aya

To be fair, a lot of even the classic mini games don't really work in a matchmaking environment. They should be updating the game modes more often, but my favorite ones aren't applicable either.

90% of the games are fun two or three times max, and then never again. Minotaurs, the snowball fight, paintball, Tank world...

The playlist desperately needs more Riftball maps, more race maps, more vehicle breakout modes, and a million other games like Duck Hunt. It just needs more everything as to break up the monotony, and none of those games should last too long or be too slow, because when I think "Fun mini game" I'm not thinking about slowly pushing a normal scorpion all across a forge canvas only to get shot once and lose any ensuing firefight because I couldn't see the enemy scorpion because it was far enough away that it hadn't rendered yet.

I like ground pound arena, Riftball, and those Lego king of the hill maps. I could lose everything else. Anything where you spent the majority of the match trying to find your opponent is terrible in matchmaking in my opinion.

Yeah, for the most part these mini games are good for a spell, then they grow tiresome. If they were more active in rotating games in and out, the playlist would be more attractive AND push creators to keep coming up with good ideas.

Trup1aya

In reference to the music, I think that a lot of people don't "remember" music from Halo 5, is because they don't want to. Halo 5 is one of the best OSTs on the series.

So many original, catchy tunes, and I think Kaz gets too much undue shade just purely because he's not Marty. Don't get me wrong, Marty's tunes were classic, but I think Kaz is just as good on a technical level as Marty.

They're two very different styles, and that's okay, and I think this is just another instance of Halo fans not liking change.

I dont remember halo 5s music because there are no memorable moments attached to the music.

I don't actively listen to video game music. I'm focused on what is happening on screen and i hear the music passively. The more memorable the on screen action is, the more likely i am to make a mental note of the background music that accompanies it.

I have a somewhat halo related question for all yall. What exactly does bungie do that makes them so good at hyping their games before release as compared to 343?

I was just listening to the halo2 soundtrack and it got me remembering the hype for halo2 and 3. It was huge. 343 seems to struggle with creating hype while Bungie seem still very good at it with the Destiny 2 leak.

How is bungie so good at hype? Is it as easy as the last games overal quality will create hype for the next one?

P.S. and bring Marty back for Halo6. Dat music, so good.

The Halo 4 hype machine was huge, the only difference is that the fallout post-release was crazy high.

Also, I still remember a ton of tracks from H4 / 5 - the only real track I wasn't a huge fan of on Halo 4 Vol. 1 was Faithless because of how often it got reused in-game, and a handful of the tracks at the beginning of Vol. 2 that mostly played during Spartan Ops.

With H5 there's a lot more variation in the tracks, so I don't remember all the names, but I can't really recall an obligatory "weak" track in it like there usually is per volume. Even 1 / 2 / 3 (esp. 3), but less so ODST and Reach had some stinkers. Meridian Crossing, Unearthed, Advent (which does a great job of integrating the Move Mountains theme from Reach's Pillar of Autumn suite), Walk Softly, Jameson Locke and Osiris Suite 2 / 3 / 4 are some of my favorites, with one of the latter three Osiris Suites probably being my favorite from the soundtrack. I feel like H5 did a way better job at having two or three integral themes (mainly blue team and locke's themes) naturally running through the soundtrack compared to Reach, and I think it's probably tied with ODST in that regard.

The only thing I really wish was different about H5's soundtrack was for there to be two or three more quiet tracks, like Argent Moon. Some of the tracks start out quietly, but there's little hints of stuff like the string section early on in Osiris Suite Act 4 or the Metroid Prime-ass reprise of the main Halo choir in the same track that would have been so great expanded a little bit. Halo 4 actually handled that pretty well, I thought - you had tracks like Legacy and the first two-thirds of Immaterial that were basically nothing but soundscaping.

I dont remember halo 5s music because there are no memorable moments attached to the music.

lol

Madness

A few presumptions about others' music tastes here. I know you produce music Ian, so again this is a difference in how you evaluate music versus others who don't really score music but just play the games and how fans receive it. I mean why would I want to remember the music of Destiny better than Halo 5? Like I said, at best I can tell you the menu theme for H5, the Warzone entrance and victory theme through sheer repetition. I bet technically Kazuma is better than Marty and has a better reading at modern music and better production even. No shade against him. Marty from what I hear isn't even that great of a person. But he makes good music that fits the games and scenes perfectly. I can tell you exactly what the music was like when we were escaping with a Warthog with Arbiter in Halo 3, the music when Jorge throws Six out of the Cruiser and tells him to make it count. I can tell you what music is playing when you defeat the Black Heart in the Black Garden on Mars in vanilla Destiny and that game sucked. I cannot tell you what music was playing when Locke smashes Chief's helmet. Again maybe it is a game thing, not OST since I only relate to the games, the scenes and the music during those scenes.

I don't agree with the term Halo fans not liking change either. I mean ODST, Reach were completely different music than H1 to H3 altogether. There is more than just the music that affects things like scores. If Terminator was a shitty movie would we remember the score? What makes the Jurassic Park theme so memorable? Do I love the NBA on NBC theme more than the NBA on TNT thene because it was well done, or because I grew up watching MJ and Karl Malone and Patrick Ewing etc. Same goes for Halo. There was just something about the way Marty did music for the games that made them all memorable. But always welcome to disagree. Some people really liked the H4 OST and music, but I felt it was very poorly done in game.

Fuchsdh

A few presumptions about others' music tastes here. I know you produce music Ian, so again this is a difference in how you evaluate music versus others who don't really score music but just play the games and how fans receive it. I mean why would I want to remember the music of Destiny better than Halo 5? Like I said, at best I can tell you the menu theme for H5, the Warzone entrance and victory theme through sheer repetition. I bet technically Kazuma is better than Marty and has a better reading at modern music and better production even. No shade against him. Marty from what I hear isn't even that great of a person. But he makes good music that fits the games and scenes perfectly. I can tell you exactly what the music was like when we were escaping with a Warthog with Arbiter in Halo 3, the music when Jorge throws Six out of the Cruiser and tells him to make it count. I can tell you what music is playing when you defeat the Black Heart in the Black Garden on Mars in vanilla Destiny and that game sucked. I cannot tell you what music was playing when Locke smashes Chief's helmet. Again maybe it is a game thing, not OST since I only relate to the games, the scenes and the music during those scenes.

And how many times have you played Halo 5 versus those campaigns? I can tell you which track is playing for that bit ("Crossed Paths", fyi.)

This reminds me I haven't replayed the campaign through with my surround sound setup though. Have to do that.

I can see some sort of announcement or teaser this E3.

Oct-Nov 2018 release

Halo 4 got a teaser at E3 2011, released Q4 2012.

Halo 5 got a teaser at E3 2013 (although that might doesn't count), revealed May 2014, released Q4 2015.

Halo 6 getting a teaser a year before release isn't far stretched.

Top Bottom