• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

I havent been keeping up on how it works, but my understanding was that it was supposed to be just a visual thing for most guns. If it isnt, thats stupid.

That's what the said pre-release, but that's not how it ended up. Every weapon got an RRR increase. AR and SMG got spread reductions and RRR increase.

is that why i see people doing this with the AR in the corner of a room?

No thats just how i camp :p

But that is wrong. Your accuracy improves when:

- using ADS
- crouching
- using ADS and crouching

Yeah i had no idea. Honestly, ADS doesnt bother me at all but i do understand how it can change how someone "plays" the game. If you have the option to ADS, youre more likely to stay further away and shoot where as not being able to zoom would kinda incite people to try shooting from closer in, like for a shootgun.

Its something ive never really thought of before. But for me, i find im better with the BR when i dont zoom in so more often, i dont zoom in when shooting it unless the guy is across the map. I also very rarely zoom in when using the AR.

Yeah Halo 5 has never played better than Halo 5. You're correct.

343/Microsoft gives me no hope for this franchise anyways. Was just pointing out that Tom was meaning it in jest, not outright dismissing it.

I remember Valhalla shotty snipers was pretty fun at least lol

Halo 5 is easily the best Halo mp. Easily. And I'm including the terrible maps in all this

Halo 5 is easily the best Halo mp. Easily. And I'm including the terrible maps in all this
I enjoyed H5's matchmaking and definitely think it's a huge step up from Halo Reach and Halo 4 - I'd even say it's better than Halo 3 :O - but I still prefer CE and Halo 2 matchmaking over 5's. To reiterate what others have already said, there is something special about the simplicity of Halo prior to the introduction of all the abilities. And in regard to H5, I didn't feel like I was on an even playing field until I bough an elite controller. Which shouldn't ever be the case in gaming imo.

There are a lot of bad maps such as Empire, Molten, Riptide and Overgrowth. I think people dismiss great maps because of this, Fathom, Truth, Eden, Stasis and Coliseum are all great. Plaza, Mercy and the Rig are fine under certain conditions.

I enjoyed H5's matchmaking and definitely think it's a huge step up from Halo Reach and Halo 4 - I'd even say it's better than Halo 3 :O - but I still prefer CE and Halo 2 matchmaking over 5's. To reiterate what others have already said, there is something special about the simplicity of Halo prior to the introduction of all the abilities. And in regard to H5, I didn't feel like I was on an even playing field until I bough an elite controller. Which shouldn't ever be the case in gaming imo.

I think some of you put way too much emphasis on "fairness". Games need to be fun to play and ultimately, its just a video game.

There are a lot of bad maps such as Empire, Molten, Riptide and Overgrowth. I think people dismiss great maps because of this, Fathom, Truth, Eden, Stasis and Coliseum are all great. Plaza, Mercy and the Rig are fine under certain conditions.

I dunno, but i think 3 and 2 had a massive advantage in terms of having some of the best maps ever. I think if you were to design the same maps for all 3 games (H2, 3 and 5) and they somehow worked, id still rather play with 5s guns and sandbox.

I think the maps of 5 really doesnt do the game any favors.

Sometimes i feel cheap when i run, slide, dash jump fly around a corner to finish a kill.

This guy in BTB had no idea i was coming for him. feels bad man. Felt like a hawk going in for the kill.

I think some of you put way too much emphasis on "fairness". Games need to be fun to play and ultimately, its just a video game.
Oh for sure. I was just thinking about how there are so many abilities to manage in H5; you can't compete with higher skilled players unless you have a controller with paddles. The number of abilities can be a little overwhelming to new players. Heck, it took me playing through the entire campaign, and then spending a good month in matchmaking after that before I felt like I was getting the hang of everything. A new player to the game might not be willing to devote that much time into getting used to the controls before decided to hell with it and switching to a different game.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
I havent been keeping up on how it works, but my understanding was that it was supposed to be just a visual thing for most guns. If it isnt, thats stupid.

If it was just a visual thing and didn't modify their performance in any way, then it would be a useless feature that has no purpose. And they dedicated a trigger to it. Yikes. I mean even if it just zoomed... so what. No one needs to zoom a needler. Or a plasma pistol. Or a shotgun... or sword.... or hammer...

Apparently if you hold the trigger in you can instantly scope back in after descope too. I always play with Halo 4 controls, where I have to press on the stick to ADS. But if true it's pretty ridiculous that the descope penalty differs via control schemes.

If it was just a visual thing and didn't modify their performance in any way, then it would be a useless feature that has no purpose. And they dedicated a trigger to it. Yikes. I mean even if it just zoomed... so what. No one needs to zoom a needler. Or a plasma pistol. Or a shotgun... or sword.... or hammer...

Apparently if you hold the trigger in you can instantly scope back in after descope too. I always play with Halo 4 controls, where I have to press on the stick to ADS. But if true it's pretty ridiculous that the descope penalty differs via control schemes.
Pretty sure that hasn't been a thing since the beta or some shit.

Welfare

Matchmaking Feedback Update May 1st

!

Soft Forfeit
- It will be "safe" to leave if someone has already left the match (from either team).
- No need to stay on to prevent a ban or extra point loss.
- No ban if someone has already left
- No extra CSR loss penalty if someone has already left.
- You still lose the same amount of CSR as a normal loss.
- Leavers always lose CSR, regardless of how their team does after, so it’s better to stay if you’re on the winning / advantaged team until the other team leaves.

Fuchsdh

!

Soft Forfeit
- It will be "safe" to leave if someone has already left the match (from either team).
- Leavers always lose CSR, regardless of how their team does after, so it’s better to stay if you’re on the winning / advantaged team until the other team leaves.

That sounds pretty reasonable, but if it doesn't show a "game is safe to leave"-type message like Dota 2 I feel like it's gonna' be a little unclear and people will be confused.

!

Soft Forfeit

Thank god. Man, id stay in games that were 5 on 1. No fun whatsoever.

So we take the L and lose the same amount of csr as if we lost the game?

Scenario:

1 player quits first 10 seconds - banhammer and csr loss
I quit because i want a full team. - no banhammer and csr loss

Trup1aya

Scenario:

Yup. They gotta do it this way or else people will abuse it. Playing in parties with one throwaway account. Let that guy do the initial quitting while everyone else drops out free of charge.

Yup. They gotta do it this way or else people will abuse it. Playing in parties with one throwaway account. Let that guy do the initial quitting while everyone else drops out free of charge.
Reminds me of the good old days back in halo 2 where one person on your team could hide in some unfindable spot when you had the lead and the rest of the team could quit and as long as they still won, your whole team got a win.

FyreWulff

Scenario:

well if they didn't, it would always be optimal to circle boost by having one person quit out when it looks like you're gonna lose and then have everyone else leave.

well if they didn't, it would always be optimal to circle boost by having one person quit out when it looks like you're gonna lose and then have everyone else leave.

Gotcha. So that also means ill burn a req boost too if i quit?

Reminds me of the good old days back in halo 2 where one person on your team could hide in some unfindable spot when you had the lead and the rest of the team could quit and as long as they still won, your whole team got a win.

I've told the story before but TL;DR: Burial Mounds 1 flag, round 4 the other team were down 0-2 and holding the flag in offensive spawn where the out of map superbounce is...we spent 2.5 hours learning the superbounce as it was new and then wrecked their shit out of map 2v3 at that point with rockets and teamwork to win 2 nil.

2.5 hours and to this day it remains one of my best experiences and memories with a random objective Aussie where neither of us would give the cheaters the fucking satisfaction. I'm still friends with him all these years later.

Fucking Halo man, bring back the glitches. Halo 2 was something else. A beautifully broken game.

This with superbounces was the best

I've told the story before but TL;DR: Burial Mounds 1 flag, round 4 the other team were down 0-2 and holding the flag in offensive spawn where the out of map superbounce is...we spent 2.5 hours learning the superbounce as it was new and then wrecked their shit out of map 2v3 at that point with rockets and teamwork to win 2 nil.

2.5 hours and to this day it remains one of my best experiences and memories with a random objective Aussie where neither of us would give the cheaters the fucking satisfaction. I'm still friends with him all these years later.

Fucking Halo man, bring back the glitches. Halo 2 was something else. A beautifully broken game.

Haha that's great!

I have a similar story where I was playing 2v2 flag on Gemini. We grabbed the flag and I boosted my friend with the flag into a impossible to see spot and the game lasted for 3 hours. We left and grabbed lunch, came back, and he was till there in sudden death.

What a wonderful game.

This with superbounces was the best

Haha that's great!

I have a similar story where I was playing 2v2 flag on Gemini. We grabbed the flag and I boosted my friend with the flag into a impossible to see spot and the game lasted for 3 hours. We left and grabbed lunch, came back, and he was till there in sudden death.

What a wonderful game.

Those games of ours are Halo Ying and Yang.

Haruko

Hard to farm these ground vehicle kills when selecting REQs doesn't do anything. Do the WZ servers need a reboot or something? 343 pls

jem0208

I feel like they could have done so much more with the season format in ranked.

I feel like the end and start of a new season should be a mini event, instead it's just this thing which happens and our ranks reset. It sucks.

They should have had a write up at the end of each season. Display the champions in each playlist, the most improved player from one season to the next, the player who played the most matches, most kills etc. Make participating in a season more interesting. Each player should also get their own personal summary of the season in game displaying a bunch of stats for the season.

They should have also had a "launch event" for each season. It doesn't even need to be anything special. Just like a quick cutscene when opening the ranked playlist selection saying "The new season has begun, good luck Spartans!" which then opens to your summary for the last season. You could also have a temporary promotion for the first day of a new season where every 5 or so ranked matches you play you earn a gold pack. Even that would make it feel so much more exciting.

Instead we get an emblem, playlists break for about 10 minutes, then our ranks have disappeared. It's just shit.

Marvel

could never
Sometimes i feel cheap when i run, slide, dash jump fly around a corner to finish a kill.

This guy in BTB had no idea i was coming for him. feels bad man. Felt like a hawk going in for the kill.
Don't feel bad, enjoy the hunt.

I know I do.

I just returned back to all the Halo games with mcc and H5 (my 2nd ps pro died)and it's like I never left. There's nothing like Halo.

Trup1aya

Those were the days!

I think one way the soft ban could avoid abuse without penalizing legitimate surrenderers is if anyone in a party with the initial quite rare loses the CSR, and anyone else could quit freely.

I feel like they could have done so much more with the season format in ranked.

I feel like the end and start of a new season should be a mini event, instead it's just this thing which happens and our ranks reset. It sucks.

They should have had a write up at the end of each season. Display the champions in each playlist, the most improved player from one season to the next, the player who played the most matches, most kills etc. Make participating in a season more interesting. Each player should also get their own personal summary of the season in game displaying a bunch of stats for the season.

They should have also had a "launch event" for each season. It doesn't even need to be anything special. Just like a quick cutscene when opening the ranked playlist selection saying "The new season has begun, good luck Spartans!" which then opens to your summary for the last season. You could also have a temporary promotion for the first day of a new season where every 5 or so ranked matches you play you earn a gold pack. Even that would make it feel so much more exciting.

Instead we get an emblem, playlists break for about 10 minutes, then our ranks have disappeared. It's just shit.

Er... Uh... #HireJem?

Fuchsdh

LOL, touche, I do actually like Jem's ideas though.

Yes, sounds like a cool idea to me.

The stuff with Overwatch's play of the game makes me wish for something similar for your own career, where the game would clip your biggest play (highest overkill, or rarest medal) and show that to you at the end of the season. Basically taking the ideas behind those Facebook "here's your friendship" videos and doing something interesting with it.

jem0208

The stuff with Overwatch's play of the game makes me wish for something similar for your own career, where the game would clip your biggest play (highest overkill, or rarest medal) and show that to you at the end of the season. Basically taking the ideas behind those Facebook "here's your friendship" videos and doing something interesting with it.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

If they clipped your best moments through a season automatically you could have a highlights montage at the end each season.

Haruko

UPDATE: Soft Forfeit is now live (early)

Only available in RANKED playlists, as social and WZ have JIP.

Is soft-forfeit also active in the WZ and social playlists? Just wondering if i can now safely quit out of farm-fests when trip capped at my core, without risking a ban.
Thanks for all you do!
It's not, but that's worth discussing. Usually it's not needed because of backfill, but in farming situations I can see a case.
Ideally we'd detect the farm and action, or update the mode, but that would be difficult for now.

EDIT: lurker Burnside who was just added to the SC farmed some Spartan Charges, we are now at 92 left for that one

Welfare

Halo 6 should have leaderboards for the Ranked playlists. Would be cool to see my stats against others in my division.

Also, just more leaderboards for everything. How does MCC have campaign leaderboards (as well as time attack) but not Halo 5?

link1201

I hope all the features in Halo 5 when Halo 6 arrives are in Halo 6. They need to have a baseline of features for new releases, adding on features piecemeal is anything but ideal.

Any word on those prototype Brute weapons people found in the PC build?

I've suspected they were just Halo 6 prototypes that were demoed in the engine, and the continued silence certainly adds to that thought.

I hope all the features in Halo 5 when Halo 6 arrives are in Halo 6. They need to have a baseline of features for new releases, adding on features piecemeal is anything but ideal.

This.

Halo 5 at launch was stupidly barebones, and not in a good way. It's come super far since then, and I hope they do not revert backwards with the launch of a new title.

I've suspected they were just Halo 6 prototypes that were demoed in the engine, and the continued silence certainly adds to that thought.

This.

Halo 5 at launch was stupidly barebones, and not in a good way. It's come super far since then, and I hope they do not revert backwards with the launch of a new title.
I'd say Halo 5 seemed barebones compared to previous Halos, but compared to other shooters it actually still robust. Not defending Halo 5 for its lack of game types, just shows how well rounded Halo usually is.

Fuchsdh

This.

Seems weird you'd demo weapons on a dev branch that's going to end up in your current game, though. Seems more likely they were considering HW2-styled tie-ins and decided not to (not sure what a Brute side would have added against all the other ones we've got, for instance.)

There's several things I want from Overwatch, like Play Of The Game, killcams (I know some people are against this), emotes, voice lines, victory stances, highlight intros etc., all to bring out the personality more.

Halo 6 can improve upon so much that isn't directly tied to gameplay.

Top Bottom