• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I'm on the verge of uninstalling this game. Not because it's rare that I play anymore, but the file size is just out of hand. I have other shit to download that could use the space. The only reason I haven't is there will come a day I'll have to reinstall, and it'll take like 4 fucking days to download.

TCKaos

Reminder that just the video for the credits alone is nearly 700 MB - which is, again, the size of any two Halo 3 map packs.

TCKaos

Your kidding...

The Halo 5 credits file is 688 MB for 9:20 of footage. For comparison, an episode of Game of Thrones at 1080p is between 450 MB to 700 MB. Halo 5's credits is something like six times as much data per minute of footage for what could easily be a scrolling text file over an animated background.

Cranster

Banned
Lmao:

"Fixed a pixel problem with 2 multiplayer maps"

"This update is 32 gigs."

Does 343 not believe in compression?
You need to get glasses or just quit shitposting. Yes the game needs compression, but a 1gig update is hardly comparible to a 32 gig update.

Trup1aya

The Halo 5 credits file is 688 MB for 9:20 of footage. For comparison, an episode of Game of Thrones at 1080p is between 450 MB to 700 MB. Halo 5's credits is something like six times as much data per minute of footage for what could easily be a scrolling text file over an animated background.

Holy shit! How does this get ok'd?

E92 M3

You need to get glasses or just quit shitposting. Yes the game needs compression, but a 1gig update is hardly comparible to a 32 gig update.

It's just exaggeration. There shouldn't be a 1.3 gig update for 2 small fixes. It is completely outside the norm.

Are we not allowed to joke around anymore?

jem0208

Pretty sure they're not adding 1.3 GB of new data. Likely is that the files they're editing amount to 1.3 GB so to update you need to redownload the entire file.

wwm0nkey

Pretty sure they're not adding 1.3 GB of new data. Likely is that the files they're editing amount to 1.3 GB so to update you need to redownload the entire file.
Doesn't change that these game files are getting gigantic. It's not just a 343 problem though

Woorloog

Banned
How come 360-era patches were usually very, very small? There were some exceptions for sure *cough* Battlefield 3 *cough* but generally patches were complete non-issue. I get that content updates are big but... still.

wwm0nkey

How come 360-era patches were usually very, very small? There were some exceptions for sure *cough* Battlefield 3 *cough* but generally patches were complete non-issue. I get that content updates are big but... still.
The biggest reason is textures eat up memory soooo fast. DOOM and Wolfenstein are massive because of Megatextures. Halo has a lot in terms of armor, weapons and maps, though I'm sure they are not compressed which is the problem

TCKaos

I'm assuming that they were compressed in such a way to ensure compatibility with their similarly compressed games. BF3's were so large because like Halo the only way to patch a map was to issue a new map file that included the patch. Every time an update came out, you were essentially redownloading the entire game again.

FyreWulff

Nah. As neat as it was to download a patch instantly, you really couldn't fix much of anything. The amount of updates and features that had to die on the cutting room floor just due to the 360's patching structure would make people cry.

Seriously, did they accidentally stick a new map or two into this update? The size is weirdly big.

The update that fixed a couple of bugs in Rock Band 4 was 7GB on the One and PS4.

Well, if your game of throne file size is between 450~700 mb at 1080p, that means you download the low quality torrent.

Well, if your game of throne file size is between 450~700 mb at 1080p, that means you download the low quality torrent.

I dunno about 450, but h265 does some damn impressive shit with less than a gig.

EDIT: Just looked up a torrent for the s6 finale (the longest episode thus far at about 68 minutes in length) and a 720p h265 rip is 584MB. I could see the shorter episodes fitting under 700 at 1080p.

EDIT 2: 1080p encoding for S6E7 in h265 is 587MB.

Granted that size is 2ch audio. If you grab the 6ch of Ep9, I found one @ 800MB.

NOKYARD

Don't fucking touch the Credits
i'm in there

HTupolev

High bitrate? Seems about right for the Halo community.

Back in 2006 when short videos in Youtube 240p were the internet gold standard, we had a network of websites collaborating to distribute this monster:

rxpqniR.png

Not to mention Amaroq's userloads mythica server, a general-purpose media hosting site for the Halo community, featuring an unmetered 100mbps connection and several terabytes of storage.

In a bizarre twist, capture quality was frequently lower than internet distribution quality.

It was awesome.

Fuchsdh

Yeah doing the community book it was kind of shocking to remember that a lot of tricking videos and machinima back in the day existed in a time before Youtube. Postage-stamp size videos ahoy!

Akai__

So much for the theory of people having to re-register for the HCFP... Didn't re-register and I got the new survey, but never got the MCC one.

Nice selective surveys...

I will say that Strongholds is the absolute best gametype that's not CTF or Slayer, it's leagues ahead of assault, KoTH, Oddball, etc... Though they still need to support old gametypes if they're good. No one is missing Territories or VIP.

I will say that Strongholds is the absolute best gametype that's not CTF or Slayer, it's leagues ahead of assault, KoTH, Oddball, etc... Though they still need to support old gametypes if they're good. No one is missing Territories or VIP.

Nah, assault shits on strongholds mate :)

I've never understood the idea of having to stand in one place to gain the hill/obj, be it KOTH, crazy king, team control, territories, dominion, extraction, strongholds etc. I agree strongholds is the best iteration thus far though. That said just give me flag and bomb all day every day, if only the population were all like me and like what I like.

*stockpile was actually really good...BUT due to randies not getting the gametype and mismatched teams it just ended up really lopsided 9 out of 10 games.

What irks me about those sorts of gametypes is they break the ability for one player to truly influence a game outcome. One really good slayer or objective guy could turn the tide of game, even without major teamwork required. For me these sorts of gametypes just scream always communicating, always playing with the same team and basically are devoid of jumping into matchmaking solo or buddied up REQing shit. I miss that. Assault returning in H5 was a godsend for me, pity it's not permanent and with a huge population. It's also been watered down a bit to really expose the bomb carrier in the interest of the lowest common denominator e.g. shit players who don't have a clue what to do solo or team play.

**VIP was good in H3 initially, before it had the stupid VIP indicator tracking.

Strongholds > H5 Assault imo. Maybe one-sided Assault in H5 would be better than neutral Assault, but we wouldn't know because it doesn't exist ;'[

Top Bottom