• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

I would definitely say that any eSports success H5 might be having is in spite of 343's management of HCS, rather than because of it. The game is great, and enormously fun to watch, and the prize pools are fairly impressive, but other than that, it's a mess.

Really hope they go back to MLG with H6. And get some real expert support on their end too.

If they aren't going to give MLG a shot at least copy them verbatim instead of trying to put weird, arbitrary broken spins on their formats. Everyone wanted Worlds 2017 to have open qualifiers with pro points and 343 chose to implement unfair "seeding points" instead, that lead to lopsided brackets.

Summer 2017 pro league is the best format we've had, BUT EU was gifted seeds 7-10 in the champ bracket, but collectively only managed to take a single game off of A US team (and it was an AM team). They should've just had them play through the Open, to ensure that the 16 best teams were in the champ bracket and give the EU team's more valuable experience.

Cranster

Banned
Chances are MLG will not get another shot at it. They dropped Halo twice in the past and they are owned by activision who is a competitor.

CyReN

Chances are MLG will not get another shot at it. They dropped Halo twice in the past and they are owned by activision who is a competitor.

They dropped Halo once actually, it's been explained quite a bit before. Not sure anybody actually faults them seeing how Reach began the downward spiral for Halo.

Can't see MLG picking up Halo 5 at this point, too much stink on it. Halo 6 could be something though.

wwm0nkey

Someone noticed this in the Ready Player One trailer

ssjf3sm327bz.jpg

Madness

Gears has no problem with MLG. Or the numerous times Adam from MLG comea to Beyond and says how they weren't approached etc. You forget MLG pretty much carried competitive Halo 3 and Reach with little support from Bungie or even 343 later. By the time they got thinfa like ZBNS,not too many were interested. They dropped Halo because they weren't getting support they needed while Activision was more than willing and here we are where CoD completely dominates console eSports. Halo used to be on national television, its pros were on reality shows like MTV True Life, on drinks like Dr.Pepper etc. Where is Halo eSports now? A laughingstock. Just look at the World Championships. The biggest event in pro Halo season, insteas mocked mercilessly by pros from other games, influential org owners, it became known more for deflated balloons than great play.

Halo needs MLG now more than MLG needs Halo.

Cranster

Banned
Gears has no problem with MLG. Or the numerous times Adam from MLG comea to Beyond and says how they weren't approached etc. You forget MLG pretty much carried competitive Halo 3 and Reach with little support from Bungie or even 343 later. By the time they got thinfa like ZBNS,not too many were interested. They dropped Halo because they weren't getting support they needed while Activision was more than willing and here we are where CoD completely dominates console eSports. Halo used to be on national television, its pros were on reality shows like MTV True Life, on drinks like Dr.Pepper etc. Where is Halo eSports now? A laughingstock. Just look at the World Championships. The biggest event in pro Halo season, insteas mocked mercilessly by pros from other games, influential org owners, it became known more for deflated balloons than great play.

Halo needs MLG now more than MLG needs Halo.
Halo never needed MLG as it was massively popular before MLG even entered the scene. Personally speaking I think some gamers are putting too much focus on Esports as pro-gaming organizations simply latch on to games that are already good/popular to begin with.

Trup1aya

Bruh, the losers bracket is all kinds of LIT right now.

The winner of NV v Liquid faces OG for a chance to take on Splyce in the Grandfinals. No one can say they thought this is how it would play out!

Trup1aya

Halo never needed MLG as it was massively popular before MLG even entered the scene. Personally speaking I think some gamers are putting too much focus on Esports as pro-gaming organizations simply latch on to games that are already good/popular to begin with.

No offense man, but it seems you don't really know what you are talking about.

How did MLG drop halo twice? They stopped hosting Reach tournaments well into that games lifespan, and then were issued a cease and desist for Halo 4 when 343 decided to give Virgin an exclusive deal (that Virgin did nothing with). MLG ran successful H5 tournaments in the build up to Worlds 2016, and then 343 decided to give ESL exclusive access to "pros" and MLGs only options were to run AM only tournaments, or unsactioned tournaments. When 343/ESL realized how stupid this was and decided to have opens, MLG never even got a chance to bid, despite smaller TOS getting repeated opportunities to put on shitshows.

Gamers put emphasis on esports because they find them entertaining. How esports orgs decide to invest should have no bearing on whether gamers express interest in it or not. Obviously Orgs will prefer that games are popular or at least have the potential to be popular. That said, a successful esport is beneficial to all parties- players, developers, and organizations- since it keep awareness and engagement high and cash flowing.

Activision owning MLG has nothing to do with anything. It hasn't stopped Gears from running with MLG.

Madness

We're not talking about 'Halo' as a game. We are talking about competitive Halo and Halo eSports. MLG carried Halo on its back for years with little support from Bungie.

People watch competitive Halo in spite of how it has been run. And it could have been run much better. It is the gameplay and pros sure, but come on. We don't even have mics for the crowd at this event and it was the largest in months.

Lima

Will be highly interesting how focused Optic can stay coming out of loser bracket to beat Splyce twice.
Can't wait. This Optic vs nV series is already over.

GTSweet

Neo Member
We're not talking about 'Halo' as a game. We are talking about competitive Halo and Halo eSports. MLG carried Halo on its back for years with little support from Bungie.

People watch competitive Halo in spite of how it has been run. And it could have been run much better. It is the gameplay and pros sure, but come on. We don't even have mics for the crowd at this event and it was the largest in months.

Was at DreamHack ATL. Between the open tournament, FFA tournament and the fans it was a great environment. If the audio issues and dreamhack internet issues hadn't hindered it, would have been a great event.

It's a blast though with all the different eSports (rocket league, dota2, H1Z1, Smash, CSGO) all present so you get walk up crowds and new fans. Halo is actually using the DOTA2 stage today which is why the stage looks 10x better today.

Just hope Halo 6 does lan properly and ESL gets their shit together or MLG takes back over for second stream, fewer audio / game crashes, and stronger presentation overall.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Was at DreamHack ATL. Between the open tournament, FFA tournament and the fans it was a great environment. If the audio issues and dreamhack internet issues hadn't hindered it, would have been a great event.

It's a blast though with all the different eSports (rocket league, dota2, H1Z1, Smash, CSGO) all present so you get walk up crowds and new fans. Halo is actually using the DOTA2 stage today which is why the stage looks 10x better today.

Just hope Halo 6 does lan properly and ESL gets their shit together or MLG takes back over for second stream, fewer audio / game crashes, and stronger presentation overall.

Agreed. I went there today. I had never been to an event like this and it was really cool. Halo and Rocket League Finals had the biggest crowds today. CS:Go had a good crowd as well. There were not audio or internet issues today. It was a great experience. Caught a Halo CS t-shirt in a giveaway and was able to put my gamertag on a list to get an exclusive icon in-game. I left before the end of the Halo Finals, I had been there 8 hours and had to get back home.

Trup1aya

These tourney had some amazing series. It's a shame about the untimely outages.

Watching games like that is why I don't the mechanics to change much.

There's no reason games couldn't be this exciting (or more ) with different mechanics. I'd wager with a boosted run speed, and no need to ever put your gun down, the acrobatics would be even more exciting and impressive...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi

*makes an unscripted behind the scenes appearance

Haha, he caught me a bit off guard there as you can tell my look on my face when I turned around.

Definitely some really unfortunate circumstances to deal with this event so thank you to everyone for your patience and for sticking with us. The support and turnout here in Atlanta was really great to see, and I had so many good conversations with people in the community.

Also, didn't know there were some GAF members that swung by, would have loved to meet you!

jem0208

5's armour design gets a unfairly bad rep imo.

There are definitely some shockers in there and a fair amount of bland/average designs but some of the armour looks fantastic.

Helioskrill for example looks fucking awesome and Recon is probably the best iteration so far.

Going through my unlocked helmets, I'd say there's more good designs than bad.

Fuchsdh

There are definitely some shockers in there and a fair amount of bland/average designs but some of the armour looks fantastic.

Helioskrill for example looks fucking awesome and Recon is probably the best iteration so far.

Yeah it's just a perception problem caused by so many sets.

I hate the helioskrill helmet. Pisses me off when I play people using it, almost to the point where I focus my attention solely on them. Such a dumb looking helmet. Glad other people at least enjoy using it though.

Where I'm at. There's a bunch of great stuff there, but... well, the bell curve and Sturgeon's Law takes its toll. Having a bunch of sets means that more of 'em are gonna suck.

I hate the helioskrill helmet. Pisses me off when I play people using it, almost to the point where I focus my attention solely on them. Such a dumb looking helmet. Glad other people at least enjoy using it though.

It, uh... doesn't sound like you're glad...

Yeah, Halo 5 has some good helmets and armor, but the sets need to go. We need more customization options, similar to DOOM.

Speaking of which, DOOM's multiplayer is okay actually. It's pretty fun for what it is; using the demons is great, something I wish we could do in Halo.

Some of the helmets are alright but most of the body armor are garbo. I don't like how busy and strange some of the armor looks, it's like some weird sci-fi anime style. I prefer them to be more grounded, simplistic, and designed with function in mind. Reach did a great job of this.

Trup1aya

Yeah, Halo 5 has some good helmets and armor, but the sets need to go. We need more customization options, similar to DOOM.

Speaking of which, DOOM's multiplayer is okay actually. It's pretty fun for what it is; using the demons is great, something I wish we could do in Halo.

Im not sure i follow... in halo mp you play as a demon all the time...

Top Bottom