• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

CyReN

fd24839e11eabe49a3be25a34471807a.png

This has to be a troll right?

Fuchsdh

Trup1aya

What am I looking at?

He's been critical of the marketing for the World Championship especially in comparison to last years. This was one of the official halo channels first twitter references of the event, and it's uniformative and it isn't really exciting.

It does look like marketing is heating up though, as videos and articles have started popping up on various outlets including BBC and espn.

For whatever reason everything that should be public knowledge about this tournament has been treated like a big secret. It's been like this since the qualifers. They still haven't publicly release a schedule for example. Luckily the sleuths at team beyond (who have seemingly been shunned by HCS) have been on the case.

Fw8DTaS.jpg

CyReN

He's been critical of the marketing for the World Championship especially in comparison to last years. This was one of the official halo channels first twitter references of the event, and it's uniformative and it isn't really exciting.

It does look like marketing is heating up though, as videos and articles have started popping up on various outlets including BBC and espn.

For whatever reason everything that should be public knowledge about this tournament has been treated like a big secret. It's been like this since the qualifers. They still haven't publicly release a schedule for example. Luckily the sleuths at team beyond (who have seemingly been shunned by HCS) have been on the case.

Fw8DTaS.jpg

The main thing that is annoying with that tweet is there's literally no info on anything. Like why bother tweeting it? No URL, dates, teams, etc. It's mind blowing.

Not fun to see players and coaches having to leak a stream schedule for the biggest tournament of the year too.

I mean, maybe ranking wise but the games I've played the good folks are still good. And I say this as someone who hates the new radar. A good team is still solid, maybe your basic randoms are a bit worse now.

Oh yeah, it does nothing but improve full teams IMO. Solo'ing with randoms is even worse if no one is talking, awareness just seems really low with my teammates.

Fuchsdh

Oh yeah, it does nothing but improve full teams IMO. Solo'ing with randoms is even worse if no one is talking, awareness just seems really low with my teammates.

Which is another reason why I really don't want the new motion tracker. At some point you have to aim for a certain level of enjoyable experience, and the majority of the time I'm not with communicative players.

Which is another reason why I really don't want the new motion tracker. At some point you have to aim for a certain level of enjoyable experience, and the majority of the time I'm not with communicative players.

Things like NOT MATCHING YOU WITH AN ENTIRE TO4 WITH MICS would make this discussion non existent. Don't poison H5 game play because 343 is too fucking stupid to make a enjoyable matchmaking experience.

Trup1aya

Wait, wut?

So because you aren't communicative, the game is better when people are camping in corners with ARs?

Makes no sense.

When the new MM system boosts the MMR of players in parties, then solo players will be separated from parties via the MM system. non-communicative players would be separated from those who do communicate via the ranking system.

There's no need to settle on a worse version of the game simply because you don't want to talk to people. Instead aim to improve the system that fixes your matches.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah, I dunno. While matching against teams is harder now, and many of my team mates seem more clueless, I personally feel more empowered. I can't go back to default.

Things like NOT MATCHING YOU WITH AN ENTIRE TO4 WITH MICS would make this discussion non existent. Don't poison H5 game play because 343 is too fucking stupid to make a enjoyable matchmaking experience.
This kind of posting behavior contributed to HaloGAF getting shut down.
And hotdogs.

No reason to talk that isht breh.
Yeah, I dunno. While matching against teams is harder now, and many of my team mates seem more clueless, I personally feel more empowered. I can't go back to default.
The argument that it empowers teams can be made, sure, but I think it empowers solo players more than the previous radar imo. With the previous radar, one person on that team of 4 can see your red dot without actually seeing your Spartan, then the entire team knows where you are. But now? They have to actually see you in order to make that call-out.

op_ivy

This kind of posting behavior contributed to HaloGAF getting shut down.
And hotdogs.

No reason to talk that isht breh.

The argument that it empowers teams can be made, sure, but I think it empowers solo players more than the previous radar imo. With the previous radar, one person on that team of 4 can see your red dot without actually seeing your Spartan, then the entire team knows where you are. But now? They have to actually see you in order to make that call-out.

That's what I'm saying. I feel more in control over my own fate, as a solo player, with the new radar

Looks like they finally posted something, on FB:

C7pabA9.png

Link goes to
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halowc-2017-finals-preview
So they waited until 2 days before the event to start spreading the word on a 1 million dollar world championship tournament? Who does that? They should have been pushing this event as soon as they knew the teams. And I agree with Cyren. The tweets should contain the start dates/times up front like. You can go to the link, but you still have to scroll way down to see when things get going.

Disappointed i won't be able to watch much on Saturday. Friday and Sunday i will be glued to Twitch however.
New job so I longer get Fridays off, so I'll be counting on you nerds to post the req codes during the day (assuming Tashi doesn't forget again) so I can redeem them during the day. I'll try and post them on the other days in return. tyia

That's what I'm saying. I feel more in control over my own fate, as a solo player, with the new radar
Yeah I was just adding to it. I see some people making the argument that it makes teams stronger, but teams are less effective now than they were with the previous radar when versing solo players.

I also see some saying that it makes crouching "useless," which I think is not true. I made this post over on Waypoint:
  • Crouching while strafing in a battle is still important
  • Crouching to be quiet is still important
  • Crouching to tighten the spread (albeit slightly) is still the same
  • Crouching to t-bag is still important (Note: I want to stress the importance of this)
  • Crouch-jumping is still important
  • Crouching under/behind cover is still important for defense and escapes, along with sneaky approaches towards enemies
  • Crouching to pass through certain areas is still important (e.g. Fathom treehouse areas)
  • etc.

Man teams of 4 in proving grounds can demolish randos like quick pickings.

And why r so many ppl quitting? 3v4 a couple times in a row is just depressing

I wanted slayer but kept getting torque ctf. Blah

New job so I longer get Fridays off, so I'll be counting on you nerds to post the req codes during the day (assuming Tashi doesn't forget again) so I can redeem them during the day. I'll try and post them on the other days in return. tyia

Hope they're gonna dish out like crazy, what with two streams and everything. I could really use a decent number of gold packs.

There should be some kind of dedicated Twitter account to post these. That'd be so convenient...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Cool. I'll definitely post what I can. Congrats on the job.

Wait, wut?

So because you aren't communicative, the game is better when people are camping in corners with ARs?

Makes no sense.

When the new MM system boosts the MMR of players in parties, then solo players will be separated from parties via the MM system. non-communicative players would be separated from those who do communicate via the ranking system.

There's no need to settle on a worse version of the game simply because you don't want to talk to people. Instead aim to improve the system that fixes your matches.

Well I think that all kinda goes back to how I've always said classic motion tracker empowers the individual. Yes that leads to less overall team awareness but I was the one begging for the classic tracker to at least remain in FFA.

A solid matchecking system would help, sure. So would a healthy population. But as it stands right now if I'm going to go into a lobby with no one communicating I'd rather have the classic style. A good social playlist just for solo players would go a long long way here. After finally picking up Overwatch I don't understand how that community has people talking and yet Halo players either remain silent or in party chat. That's the most frustrating thing for me.

Madness

I hate that I try and play Mass Effect Andromeda campaign or multiplayer and yet I am afraid to sprint without shields because I am conditioned now to think they won't recharge. Was noticing all day yesterday. Just sitting there with no shields hoping they would recharge lol.

Trup1aya

Well I think that all kinda goes back to how I've always said classic motion tracker empowers the individual. Yes that leads to less overall team awareness but I was the one begging for the classic tracker to at least remain in FFA.

A solid matchecking system would help, sure. So would a healthy population. But as it stands right now if I'm going to go into a lobby with no one communicating I'd rather have the classic style. A good social playlist just for solo players would go a long long way here. After finally picking up Overwatch I don't understand how that community has people talking and yet Halo players either remain silent or in party chat. That's the most frustrating thing for me.

This still doesn't make much sense. With the classic tracker your options are limited because just about everything you do is going to broadcast your location.

How is that empowering?

Against a to4 you are even more powerless because they don't even have to see you to call you out. The moment you move, if you are within 18ft of one enemy, he can report to his entire team.

Yes you are getting free info, but your opponents are getting that same free info about you. The ONLY way to get a competitive advantage with this info is to move less- which means you are less powerful.

I think overwatch has more people talking, in part because there is less free information being handed out. This encourages people to cooperate instead of being content with just the info the game gives them.

BizzyBum

I hate that I try and play Mass Effect Andromeda campaign or multiplayer and yet I am afraid to sprint without shields because I am conditioned now to think they won't recharge. Was noticing all day yesterday. Just sitting there with no shields hoping they would recharge lol.

Jumpjet and thrust in MEA reminded me of Halo 5. It even has a biotic ability for a ground pound. =D

op_ivy

He thinks normal radar is better than new radar.

Ehhhh, not sure about that.

Edit: Made a worlds thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354557

Ahhh, wtf ryan!?

Edit: ok, I get his issue with the extended radar and I'm not sure I don't agree, but spamming crouch walking as a skill seems like a silly comment. And, forgive me if this isnt true at his skill level (though i cant imagine it wouldnt be), but no mention on how players use abilities far less?

op_ivy

Is the new radar still just the one playlist for now?

Yes. Before it went up they said it would be for "at least a month". I imagine they may extend it into other playlists (ranked?) After that.

Wonder what will be next for the proving grounds? Pistol start btb.

Yes. Before it went up they said it would be for "at least a month". I imagine they may extend it into other playlists (ranked?) After that.

Wonder what will be next for the proving grounds? Pistol start btb.

I can see it working for some playlists, especially if team/party matches performs well. I don't think the new radar works for WZ or FFA so much but that's just my opinion.

This still doesn't make much sense. With the classic tracker your options are limited because just about everything you do is going to broadcast your location.

How is that empowering?

Against a to4 you are even more powerless because they don't even have to see you to call you out. The moment you move, if you are within 18ft of one enemy, he can report to his entire team.

Yes you are getting free info, but your opponents are getting that same free info about you. The ONLY way to get a competitive advantage with this info is to move less- which means you are less powerful.

I think overwatch has more people talking, in part because there is less free information being handed out. This encourages people to cooperate instead of being content with just the info the game gives them.

I'm not sure about that with Overwatch. I mean, there's a character that lets you see enemy players through walls ala pro vision.

But sure, everyone is equally able to use the motion tracker but I've always played conservatively. I've always been the guy holding bunker respawn on the rig, or top lift on sword base. And yes, in those situations the enemy player never sees me on radar due to crouch walking which gives me a huge advantage.

Knowing where your teammates are and listening to their callouts certainly helps even in that situation. Having the information of where the enemy team is pushing, well outside of radar range will always help.

I guess my frustration really stems from while at the core I agree no radar is the best way to test two equally matched teams of four, that does not apply to real life. In the fact that with population and matchmaking systems it's currently tough to pull off. And more so than that, the beefing up this does to your run and gun, without sprinting, BR user is huge. All the while weakening a slower more conservative player like myself.

Ill get over it, but the subtle way this makes the game faster lends itself to more BR based gameplay being the winning strategy. As always.

Trup1aya

I'm not sure about that with Overwatch. I mean, there's a character that lets you see enemy players through walls ala pro vision.

But sure, everyone is equally able to use the motion tracker but I've always played conservatively. I've always been the guy holding bunker respawn on the rig, or top lift on sword base. And yes, in those situations the enemy player never sees me on radar due to crouch walking which gives me a huge advantage.

Knowing where your teammates are and listening to their callouts certainly helps even in that situation. Having the information of where the enemy team is pushing, well outside of radar range will always help.

I guess my frustration really stems from while at the core I agree no radar is the best way to test two equally matched teams of four, that does not apply to real life. In the fact that with population and matchmaking systems it's currently tough to pull off. And more so than that, the beefing up this does to your run and gun, without sprinting, BR user is huge. All the while weakening a slower more conservative player like myself.

Ill get over it, but the subtle way this makes the game faster lends itself to more BR based gameplay being the winning strategy. As always.

I guess I just don't follow you. It sounds like "conservative" play, just means crouching in a corner and waiting for an unsuspecting player to come to you. The radar facilitiating that isn't empowering you so much as it disadvantaging players who are actively playing.

I also don't see how increasing the general speed of a match leads to BR dominated gameplay. Every weapon in the sandbox still has the same strengths and weaknesses radar or not. In fact, your enemies not having a motion tracker allows you to use weapons in scenarios you other wouldn't be able to.

Top Bottom