• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Damn, I had heard it wasn't great when it released but I guess they never tried to fix it, well that's rather lame, maybe it isn't worth picking up as we don't really get to splitscreen which I imagine would be the best way to co-op it if is terrible over Live.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
I didn't have the same experience. Co-op was fine except for certain areas where the framerate would drop dramatically - usually in areas with a ton of flood popcorn, but not always. For the most part, say 90% of the time, it was great.

velociraptor

Just playing Halo 1 for the first time.

I think it's really, really boring.

Halo 3 and Halo Reach destroy it.

Level design is terrible too. Every segment of a level looks the same. I also have got lost a few times.

On the Silent Cartographer mission now.

Gui_PT

Level design is terrible too. Every segment of a level looks the same. I also have got lost a few times.

Totally disagree.

Ship sections and another level up ahead I won't spoil you with tend to look repetitive, yes. But the story, atmosphere, level design(on the other levels) are amazingly fun to play.

Hope the experience improves for you.

I disagree that Reach destroys it – Reach suffers from some significant problems like Halo 1, but in a different vein – but Halo 3 certainly does. Coincidentally, I wrote down my thoughts about why Halo 1 doens't hold up anymore in a thread about Half-Life, no less.

Halo 1 aged well for an incredibly long time, but it's gotten to the point, sadly, where its faults prevent the sandbox from shinning through a lot of the time. If your comments are anything to go by, you'll hate the last two levels.

Level design is terrible... Has only played 3 levels.

Every segment of a space ship looks similar because its a goddamn metal space ship, from an enclosed corridor shooter you are then gave a huge open map to explore as you like and then after that a night level and a covenant ship. I mean you getting lost sucked but that could be a problem with you not that game, I was 11 when I played it and I didn't get lost in any of those sections.

It might be boring by the standards of today because every comparable game made after the year 2007 has a million explosions a second, slow motion and everything else thrown in to add to the "epic" factor.

The level design for CE left a lot to be desired, but the game was more about the encounter designs which still shine. Personally the general combat feedback in CE was unmatched by any other Halo game, your options are limited compared to what you can do in later games, but everything just feels so right.

The level design for CE left a lot to be desired,

On some levels sure, But AotCR, Silent Cartographer, Two Betrayals, 343 Guilty Spark and Pillar of Autumn are all fantastic levels that not only play incredibly well but they all have awesome atmosphere and are at times radically different from each other. Encounters are really well done for the majority of all those levels as well.

On some levels sure, But AotCR, Silent Cartographer, Two Betrayals, 343 Guilty Spark and Pillar of Autumn are all fantastic levels that not only play incredibly well but they all have awesome atmosphere and are at times radically different from each other. Encounters are really well done for the majority of all those levels as well.

I'll give you TSC, but the repetitiveness of Two Betrayals and AotCR really work to constrain the sandbox and offer little in variation for much of the level. Pillar of Autumn is corridor after corridor where the 30 seconds of fun doesn't have much play in the level design, and 343 Guilty Spark doesn't have any encounters to speak of, really. It's just a story level with a little fighting here and there.

Overdoziz

Banned
Overall I feel like the outdoor level design is great and gives you a lot of options, but once you're indoors it's basically the same room copied a hundred times over and it becomes quite linear.

Overall I feel like the outdoor level design is great and gives you a lot of options, but once you're indoors it's basically the same room copied a hundred times over and it becomes quite linear.
Yeah, that's the main problem with it. For such large levels, AotCR and Two Betrayals don't balance indoor and outdoor combat too well. TSC does a much better job of that.

IHaveIce

Banned
Complain about too many Halo threads - revive another one.

Doesn't this fit in the general Halo OT here in gaming community?

And Halo CE is the goat of Halo campaigns

velociraptor

Considering the amount of praise the first game had, I am just a little disappointed with the game. Perhaps my expectations were too high. In any case, I feel the other Halo games were better. I am surprised at how good the A.I. is however.

Complain about too many Halo threads - revive another one.

Doesn't this fit in the general Halo OT here in gaming community?

And Halo CE is the goat of Halo campaigns
I just posted in the first Halo thread I found on Google :p

Considering the amount of praise the first game had, I am just a little disappointed with the game. Perhaps my expectations were too high. In any case, I feel the other Halo games were better. I am surprised at how good the A.I. is however.
It's 12 years later and you've already played later entries and saw how they took the criticisms of the first and developed accordingly. Still, I love CE's approach to everything. The vehicle physics were my favourite, along with having invulnerable UNSC vehicles which made for some fun times. The grenades were absurdly powerful, looked absurdly powerful, and had the perfect weight in their toss. The AR was a true bullet hose and is the only AR in the series I like using. They hadn't gone invisible wall/killzone crazy by then so there were plenty of level exploration possibilities. You also missed out on obsessively playing its MP day in day out for years.

I mean level design is one thing but I think the general combat was nailed in CE in a way that the sequels have failed to replicate or surpass.

Top Bottom