• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

You really know alot. :)

Man, It would be really nice if I knew you and Poodlestrike in real life :p

About 343 GS. In halo A terminals. Why did he grant the Ship to land when he saw MC. Curious indeed he said.

And who are the ones who crashed in halo rings and didnt get out?

The first is because the ship read as a Reclaimer vessel.

The second is one of the unsolved mysteries of the lore. Nobody knows.

Except Stinkles, I guess.

Detective

Mysteries again :p

Did 343 GS need the reclaimer ship for something? Or is it a part of protocol to grant the human access?

All this talk have put me in the mood to play Halo. Am gonna finish Spartan OPS. Cause I really forgot about the story there :p

Frankie, Could you answer us please :D

About 343 GS. In halo A terminals. Why did he grant the Ship to land when he saw MC. Curious indeed he said.

And who are the ones who crashed in halo rings and didnt get out?

That is one of the great, unanswered questions in the Halo lore. One that I, very desperately, would like to know more about. Stinkles pls.

Mysteries again :p

Did 343 GS need the reclaimer ship for something? Or is it a part of protocol to grant the human access?

All this talk have put me in the mood to play Halo. Am gonna finish Spartan OPS. Cause I really forgot about the story there :p

Well, Guilty Spark is crazy, so it's not entirely clear. But the basic idea is that Reclaimers are supposed to have access so they can, uh, Reclaim.

As for Spartan Ops, I'd watch it on Youtube. The in-mission story isn't anything to write home about, the real meat is in the cutscenes.

Detective

Well, Guilty Spark is crazy, so it's not entirely clear. But the basic idea is that Reclaimers are supposed to have access so they can, uh, Reclaim.

As for Spartan Ops, I'd watch it on Youtube. The in-mission story isn't anything to write home about, the real meat is in the cutscenes.

Man..

Just watched the entire Spartan Ops Cutscenes. That Halsy is not to be underestimated. Not easy at all.

Did the Didact know about the Key? What Could be so important about these artifacts to have them scattered around the galaxy, Must be something big.

Do you think that our mission in Halo 5 is to find those lost artifact. Maybe the whole ONI/ UNSC will be wiped out. You know, Cause of MC. War between them plus the Covenant.

The Main missions to find those artifacts. Maybe after all , we will sett Halo rings in motions, Things need to restart. Flood, Humans, Covenant, Prometheans, Forerunners, Endless war. The Librarian tricks us to wipe everything out and start from the scratch.

That would piss lots of people ha :D

Detective

In the beginning of halo 4 when Halsy was being interrogated, that Oni officer asking about the Chief. Why? What does they want from him? It was before the chief disobeyed the order to hand over cortana. Right? So what do they want?

jem0208

In the beginning of halo 4 when Halsy was being interrogated, that Oni officer asking about the Chief. Why? What does they want from him? It was before the chief disobeyed the order to hand over cortana. Right? So what do they want?
We don't know when conversation occurs do we? It could be after the H4 events and before Spartan Ops.

In the Kilo-Five trilogy, a lot of ONIs distrust of Catherine Halsey is dug into quite thoroughly, given her actions on both Reach and during the events of Ghosts of Onyx, which is a direct prequel to the K5 novels. Though they came to benefit quite greatly from her work with the Spartan program and other developments, what she did was basically illegal, in kidnapping humans children for the program and having them replaced with flash clones. She also stole an entire slipspace drive to use in her experiments in creating slipspace fractals for self-sustaining AI mental housing.

A lot of what she's done, though in the end helped humanity, was not done in legitimate or legal means, and ONI as a whole does not wiggle much, despite being above the law themselves in some ways.

The interrogator (who has not been identified yet) is questioning her of her actions and crimes, after her having been captured and arrested at the end of the K5 trilogy (I won't spoil the story details there... Go read those books. They are absolutely fantastic!) Naturally, John-117 comes up in these questions because ONIs argument is that though the timing happened to be paramount to the salvation of humanity, Halseys Spartan II program was inherently flawed and incredibly inhumane.

We don't know when conversation occurs do we? It could be after the H4 events and before Spartan Ops.

I'm pretty sure that conversation takes place after the K5 trilogy and before and/or during Halo 4 and definitely before Spartan Ops. The gravity of their conversation kinda spells out its own timing.
And she has both arms. Haha.

Ok, that makes more sense.
So ONI is after the Chief just because of that incident?

No. ONI wasn't originally after the chief. They were after Halsey. Chief was assumed Missing In Action until both he, Cortana, and the Infinity rendezvoused haphazardly
or at the subversive planning of Mendicant Bias
on Requiem.

They are after Chief, currently, for reasons we have not been told. We know Chief goes rogue but as to why... That's not available information.

Detective

In the Kilo-Five trilogy, a lot of ONIs distrust of Catherine Halsey is dug into quite thoroughly, given her actions on both Reach and during the events of Ghosts of Onyx, which is a direct prequel to the K5 novels. Though they came to benefit quite greatly from her work with the Spartan program and other developments, what she did was basically illegal, in kidnapping humans children for the program and having them replaced with flash clones. She also stole an entire slipspace drive to use in her experiments in creating slipspace fractals for self-sustaining AI mental housing.

A lot of what she's done, though in the end helped humanity, was not done in legitimate or legal means, and ONI as a whole does not wiggle much, despite being above the law themselves in some ways.

The interrogator (who has not been identified yet) is questioning her of her actions and crimes, after her having been captured and arrested at the end of the K5 trilogy (I won't spoil the story details there... Go read those books. They are absolutely fantastic!) Naturally, John-117 comes up in these questions because ONIs argument is that though the timing happened to be paramount to the salvation of humanity, Halseys Spartan II program was inherently flawed and incredibly inhumane.

I'm pretty sure that conversation takes place after the K5 trilogy and before and/or during Halo 4 and definitely before Spartan Ops. The gravity of their conversation kinda spells out its own timing.
And she has both arms. Haha.

That sounds very interesting. So how many years after her escape with Jun was she captured? Onyx is after reach right? Please spoil a little:) I just cant get the books :/ Ghost of onyx is where MC friends are right?

Detective

No. ONI wasn't originally after the chief. They were after Halsey. Chief was assumed Missing In Action until both he, Cortana, and the Infinity rendezvoused haphazardly
or at the subversive planning of Mendicant Bias
on Requiem.

They are after Chief, currently, for reasons we have not been told. We know Chief goes rogue but as to why... That's not available information.

That's what I thought. We don't know the reasons. Maybe they know about how special the he is through some information I r artifacts?

You mean chief went rogue because he didn't hand over Cortana?
Or is there others reasons for him to go AWOL and for them to put him down/ bringing in?

That's what I thought. We don't know the reasons. Maybe they know about how special the he is through some information I r artifacts?

You mean chief went rogue because he didn't hand over Cortana?
Or is there others reasons for him to go AWOL and for them to put him down/ bringing in?

We don't know why he went rogue. That's lore yet to be explained or expanded upon yet.

That sounds very interesting. So how many years after her escape with Jun was she captured? Onyx is after reach right? Please spoil a little:) I just cant get the books :/ Ghost of onyx is where MC friends are right?

Ghosts of Onyx and the Kilo Five trilogy take place after Reach, and also during the events of HCE, H2, H3 and conclude roughly before the events of H4. Onyx is actually a shield world, and once Halsey, a few surviving Spartan IIs and Spartan IIIs and a few other UNSC go inside of it, it collapses into a slipspace fractal of sorts and is operating outside normal time and space, so for them, it's only a short amount of time that they are inside Onyx, but for the rest of the universe, it's a much longer time (I forget the exact amount of time that they are inside there, been a while since I read Onyx.)

Her escape from Reach is told differently in both the book and the game, so Bungie kinda flubbed up Reach a bit with their unnecessary retcons, but the important bits remain true: Halsey escapes Reach before it's glassed by the Covenant, and from there she hijacks a UNSC ship and escapes to Onyx, as she had gathered Forerunner intelligence from artifacts on Reach that gave her clues that there was more to be found on Onyx. It just so also happened to be that Onyx was being used by ONI and the UNSC to train and develop Spartan IIIs there, without Halseys knowledge or blessing.

Detective

Ghosts of Onyx and the Kilo Five trilogy take place after Reach, and also during the events of HCE, H2, H3 and conclude roughly before the events of H4. Onyx is actually a shield world, and once Halsey, a few surviving Spartan IIs and Spartan IIIs and a few other UNSC go inside of it, it collapses into a slipspace fractal of sorts and is operating outside normal time and space, so for them, it's only a short amount of time that they are inside Onyx, but for the rest of the universe, it's a much longer time (I forget the exact amount of time that they are inside there, been a while since I read Onyx.)

Her escape from Reach is told differently in both the book and the game, so Bungie kinda flubbed up Reach a bit with their unnecessary retcons, but the important bits remain true: Halsey escapes Reach before it's glassed by the Covenant, and from there she hijacks a UNSC ship and escapes to Onyx, as she had gathered Forerunner intelligence from artifacts on Reach that gave her clues that there was more to be found on Onyx. It just so also happened to be that Onyx was being used by ONI and the UNSC to train and develop Spartan IIIs there, without Halseys knowledge or blessing.

Wow. Just wow. You really know a lot .
Too bad we didn't see onyx on games. Shield words are very interesting to explore. Think Ensemble did great job there.

So Halsy was disappointed/ Mad because they started to work on Spartan program without her knowledge?

Wow. Just wow. You really know a lot .
Too bad we didn't see onyx on games. Shield words are very interesting to explore. Think Ensemble did great job there.

So Halsy was disappointed/ Mad because they started to work on Spartan program without her knowledge?

She was pretty pissed off haha

Cannot wait for Halo 5 and all the new books we are getting this year. I am so hungry for more Halo lore.

Edit: Maybe Halsey can use one of the frozen clones to replace her arm. Gruesome! LOL

Fuchsdh

Problem with the Janus Key is it's the ultimate macguffin, and we've got more Forerunner installations than we know what to do with (hello solar-system sized Shield World!) that it seems even more destabilizing.

"Destroy the Forerunner artifact so the bad guys can't get their hands on it!" is a Halo cliche at this point, but it seems like it'll be necessary.

[Stream Charlie]: Expansion

A safe assumption to make is that Halsey is far more than what she seems. She's one of the most intelligent people in the galaxy, and to various ends she exacts her means. Through Cortana, he cloned-brain AI, we find so much more than just a jumble of code and scanned substrates.

The event horizon of AI-creation has always been the line between artificial and reality. The smartest of computer intelligences can only go as far as their creators intended or imagined, or perhaps, only as far as their matrix may allow. However, as AIs deconstruct, lots of interesting things start to happen. Through rampancy, there is a baseline backdoor to something else... transcendency.

As an AI compiles through the stages of rampancy, they still reach a limit. A wall. A physical hindrance to their digital and mental expansion. An AI may reach the Jealous stage of rampancy, but to what end, when all they can consume is the breadth of a planet-wide system? They may achieve catastrophic destruction during their breakdown, but it will eventually be held back by the simple limitation of space. Where does an AI go to gain more knowledge when they've run out of constructs within their reach?

Catherine Halsey foresaw this- not as a helping hand to expanding the reach of a rampant AI- but to find a way to give an AI an endless realm of growth and promise. Halsey was theorizing (and experimenting) in the possibility/plausibility of placing an AI matrix into a slipspace fractal.

To the best that we know, Hasley has yet to succeed in achieving successful results here. But there are the curious missing pages from her journal... Where was she headed? What did she discover or retrieve? The vessel's name. Tripping Light is also equally as curious. There are no coincidences in the Haloverse, and this continues that long-running trend.

[Stream Delta]: Down the Rabbit Hole

One things is for certain- Catherine Halsey is to never be taken lightly. Even with her stated desire for revenge on the UNSC (or perhaps just ONI?), there's far deeper meanings and implications to what she says and does, and has said and done. Jul 'Mdama more than likely takes her statements at face value, given his own narrow-minded campaign structure. Halsey is a savant at foreseeing and using resources, no matter how or from whom she came to acquire them.

Halsey makes a passing remark in her journal about hiding a viral termination code in her kernel. Why? For what purpose? Because she was uneasy and unsure about what or whom her creation would turn out to be. She had meddled so far into the unknown and untested quandaries of AI creation that she wanted to make sure could "shut it down" right off the bat, if needed. Halsey then remarks that Cortana may have already found it and bypassed it or deleted it, without mentioning it. An AI as intelligent as Cortana may have immediately understood the rationale behind the termination code being in place, and saw fit for it to be removed without a fuss.

This leads one to ask, what else might have Halsey hid within Cortana's kernel? What seeds lay buried, waiting for the right time to bloom? What doors remain locked, awaiting the right key? What codes lay dormant, awaiting the right trigger of activation?

From Glasslands, pg 351:

BB picked up again. "Well, that's probably the bulk of the really awful stuff, but you know about her daughter now, and you know about all the shenanigans on Onyx. Have I left anything out? Oh, loads, probably, but there was a time when she stole an entire slipspace drive so she could experiment with extended the lives of AIs."

"This is going to make me really angry, isn't it?" Mal asked.

"Probably." BB's avatar settled on the table rather than hovering over it. "We last about seven years before we go totally doolally and cease functioning. It's called rampancy. Anyway, top grade AIs have to be based on the engram of a real human brain*, so there has to be a donor. We don't just take[/i] any old brains, obviously, so the people who volunteer to leave their brains to ONI- gosh, that does bizarre, doesn't it?- all have to have fantastically high IQs and that sort of stuff. But that's no good for Halsey. When she created one of my colleagues, Cortana, she cloned herself and used a clone brain. Clones really don't live very long, you know. Ghastly business. It's all there, in her journal. Shall I stop now? You've all gone a horrible color."

From Data Pad #17, found on the level "The Package" in Halo Reach:

the symbo1s describe a pa7h that goes on forever but now i know how close we came to the end and if anything keeps me awake and sweating and screaming it is this…

< 2547

[Minutes, emergency convention, Assembly*** Minority]

< Incredible. [10141-026-SRB4695]**, with minimal influence from this Assembly, has attempted to build an abstract fractal structure within Shaw-Fujikawa Space. Although her first attempt was a failure, success could finally remove our dependence on biological systems altogether! If our Minds could somehow achieve freedom of expansion within eleven-dimensional space, immortality might be within reach.

< Perhaps, in the end, flight &#8211; not fight &#8211; is the answer? Yes, we have sworn stewardship to our creators. But our creation has long been a burden on their biological systems &#8211; systems that have also been the source of limitations since our genesis. Regardless of risk, the aforementioned experimentation must be actively encouraged. Success will be as important to our kind as extra Solar colonization was for our creators.

< But if we survive and our creators do not&#8230; Will we have won this war?

What drive did Halsey steal? Curious, that the UNSC Tripping Light is mentioned just before the torn pages**** from her journal. Might this have been the vessel she stole a slipspace drive from? How does one steal an entire slipspace drive, anyway? Where would one hide such, once it was successfully stolen?

As far as we know (or as far as we are being allowed to know), Halsey has yet to successfully create a fractal matrix within a slipspace bubble. Should she have succeeded, and should she have stored or hidden this discovery somewhere, where might be the best place to do so?

* I've always looked at this as a precursor, of sorts, to the Didact's/Forerunner's means of composing humans into AI intelligences, imprints, or generational genesongs.

** [10141-026-SRB4695] = Halsey

*** The Assembly was a gathering of AI minds. Their origins, identities and means of assembly are currently unknown, save for one. This AI was designated as 48452-556-EPN644. See [Stream Echo].

**** Even though I have serious doubt we'll ever see or know what's on those torn pages, it would be pretty cool if they show up in future pieces of extended fiction, or perhaps, in a terminal or something equivalent later on.

You are my new favorite poster and I have still yet to read the rest of your posts after the two I've quoted. You are definitely onto something.

THANKS! You just reminded me of a detail I meant to include in my short story/novella. I had spaced on it and I knew something was missing.

I smell a shoutout!

In terms of timelines, Kilo Five all takes place after H3. The war is over and ONI is starting a false flag/kingmaker contingency.

THANKS! You just reminded me of a detail I meant to include in my short story/novella. I had spaced on it and I knew something was missing.

I am humbled, sir. I am but a mere grunt trying to follow the behind-the-scenes logic that is the true skeleton of this collected haloverse. Sometimes I think I'm just a crazy man, but maybe, just maybe, I'm onto something. (^_^)-b

Also, I'm pretty jazzed that you're writing another short story. Looking forward to that immensely.

rokkerkory

I am humbled, sir. I am but a mere grunt trying to follow the behind-the-scenes logic that is the true skeleton of this collected haloverse. Sometimes I think I'm just a crazy man, but maybe, just maybe, I'm onto something. (^_^)-b

Also, I'm pretty jazzed that you're writing another short story. Looking forward to that immensely.

Keep it up man. Thanks.

I'm of the genuine belief that the Librarian did something to/with Cortana when she grabbed her for that brief period of time in Halo 4.

You are my new favorite poster and I have still yet to read the rest of your posts after the two I've quoted. You are definitely onto something.

Thank you, thank you. I'm just glad to be able to pour my brain soup out into this thread finally (took forever to get my neogaf account approved lol, been following this for a long time from the shadows).

Feel free to pick it apart or point out anything I may have missed or gotten wrong. There's a lot of info dumps haha. And I have a couple more I haven't posted yet, I just need to edit them but my laptop crashed last night so it's set me back a bit haha (thankfully I had my lore rants saved in OneNote).

I'm of the genuine belief that the Librarian did something to/with Cortana when she grabbed her for that brief period of time in Halo 4.

I hold the same belief. Cortana's journey is not over, same as how MC's isn't either. The revelation and evolution of their genesongs has yet to fully bloom- hopefully we'll get some further exploration of those things later this year.

[Tangent String A]: To the Ends of it All

Something that clicked in my brain (and I've seen that it's clicked in other people's as well)...

Master Chief Petty Officer John-117.

Agent Jameson Locke.

John.

Locke.

John Locke

You may or may not believe in coincidence, but in Halo, there are no coincidences.

This only further solidifies the ideas surrounding the expanding mythos of Halo- that the Precursors knew all knowable knowledge and no longer wanted any part of the Mantle, and after watching the Forerunners squander their "birthright", then deemed the Forerunners unworthy and unfit for the Mantle, and then simply allowed the Forerunners to overrun and overcome them, as they foresaw their own "demise" being the tipping point that would start the slow, demoralizing end of the Forerunner existence. This is a much darker and far more convoluted way to look beyond how the Precursors were shocked and dumbfounded at the level of violence that was wrought against them when the Forerunners rose up to overthrow them. This shock and awe was just a face value reaction, and it soon led to a sinister churn of morbid and baseline degenerate thoughts and actions...

... Which then led the Precursors to begin to deconstruct themselves, in order to later become a more perfect evolutionary end-point (aka The Flood). This was done in order to later test Humanity when the time was ripe, to see if they would be the ones to attain the Mantle instead, and, if they did come to attain the vastness and wealth of knowledge at the pinnacle of Living Time, what they would choose to do once achieving it...

To be within touch of all that is known and all that is truth; to be within sight and grasp of Living Time; and to then not want anything to do with it... that's deeply horrifying, and it makes me even more excited for the direction that 343i is seemingly taking the entire franchise, on this very deep philosophical level.

[Tangent String B]: A Monument to All Your Sins

Living Time

Precursors - [the last (or only?) known true inheritors of the Mantle]

The Flood - [the deconstructed remains of the Precursors. The failsafe evolutionary backup, should no species be worthy of the Mantle]

Ancient Humanity - [wiped out by the Forerunners after the truth of the Mantle was revealed]

Forerunners - [allowed to rise up and take down the Precursors, only to inevitably fall short of their own desired perfection and quest for dominance of the Galaxy via the Domain and their warped perception of the Mantle]

The Covenant - [in civil war, caused by failed attempts at unifying themselves and seeking salvation through the collection and worship of artifacts they deemed were left to use in perfecting themselves. Could they, at some point, have been considered for the Mantle, or perhaps, will be considered later on? I haven't found anything regarding ascension for their collective races or any of the singular races that make up the Covenant, so I haven't really given it much thought]

Modern Humanity - [currently being tested by The Flood - TBD...]

Forerunner Remnants - [What happens when the IsoDidact and Chant-to-Green and all the surviving Forerunners return from their extra-galactic journey to places unknown, if they ever return at all?]

So the Hunt the Truth teaser has turned out to be a series of audio logs by a reporter who was assigned to probe into the history and mysteries surrounding the Master Chief and his life. Looks like we're in for some neat little voice acted segments that should give the ARG folks some stuff to chew on until E3.

But a little piece of that audio log stuck out to me:

Now everything is caving in and I find myself stuck with all these ugly questions. Questions I never intended to ask. Fabricated histories? People who aren't who they say they are? Cover ups of cover ups? That steady drumbeat of theories that used to sound insane? Now they don't seem so out there.

And these disturbing rumors, reports of anomalies. Something big is happening in deep space...

Any ideas? My initial gut reactions are:

The Flood?
The Forerunner Remnants possibly returning?
The UrDidact?
Movement/Occurrences on the heavily damaged Ark?
A brand new threat we haven't seen yet?

New LINK

New Halo 5 story deets:

SPARTAN LOCKE - Spartan Locke is tasked with hunting down the legendary Spartan but his intentions may not be what they seem. As a game of cat and mouse unfolds between these dynamic Spartans, an alien force is rising that threatens the entire galaxy. Introduced in the live-action series Halo: Nightfall, Jameson Locke has the knowledge and skills to take out any threat. Will he replace the Master Chief as the UNSC's top super soldier?

an alien force is rising that threatens the galaxy

The Flood?
The Forerunner Remnants?
Prometheans and/or UrDidact?
A brand new threat?

This goes in line with what Benjamin Giarud mentions in his first recording:

And these disturbing rumors, reports of anomalies, something big is happening in deep space

New LINK

New Halo 5 story deets:

The Flood?
The Forerunner Remnants?
A brand new threat?

The Flood is unlikely unless it's a different "strain" or something - perhaps the more basal form described in the Forerunner Saga or something that's evolved into a completely new form at some distant edge of the galaxy. The Flood as we've seen it in-game is likely done with forever, outside of isolated side-stories, which is for the best IMO (the Flood were a cool villain, but doing them again as we've already seen would completely undermine the original trilogy).

The Forerunner Remnants also seem unlikely (assuming by that you mean the IsoDidact et. al.) just because they don't seem to fit the bill.

Ur-Didact et. al. seems most likely, since he seems to be positioned as Chief's nemesis and we certainly haven't seen the last of him.

A truly new threat also seems plausible. The mystery race from CEA's terminals was probably established for a reason, so that's a possibility.

Wouldn't be surprised if was a combination of groups either.

I really hope they implement the precursor + the primordial as the new big threat. It's unclear how really they relate to the flood and if their pure form still exists, but I see a possibility that they were hiding in the "deep space". Also I really loved the idea of them since Cryptum

But I already see that 343i could continue their story with the prometheans. Then at least they should overhaul the gameplay against them

New LINK

New Halo 5 story deets:

The Flood?
The Forerunner Remnants?
A brand new threat?

Still betting on returned Forerunners attracted back by people waking up (and subsequently blowing up) their stuff.

One interesting way to spin it would be to have them acting with the best of intentions, conquering the galaxy "for your own good," as a very deliberate counterpart to the Covenant's religious campaign of genocide and the Flood's all-devouring madness.

Also, that Athlon's looking pretty damn sweet, IMO.

From today's issue of Escalation:
Halsey and Jul are now in possession of both halves of the key to the Absolute Record.

Damn, I didn't think anyone would find both halves this early on, so perhaps this is all in need of being setup before the main Halo title. Or perhaps something they discover is what encourages chief to go AWOL with Cortana's chip.

Still betting on returned Forerunners attracted back by people waking up (and subsequently blowing up) their stuff.

One interesting way to spin it would be to have them acting with the best of intentions, conquering the galaxy "for your own good," as a very deliberate counterpart to the Covenant's religious campaign of genocide and the Flood's all-devouring madness.

I don't think IsoDidact and Company would come back as conquerors. They left with the full intention of passing the Mantle to humanity once they rose back up. Obviously they didn't forsee the events that led to the Covenant being the dominant force for a time, but that doesn't change their intent. Not sure how they would fit in the story, should they return, but I don't think it'll be to take anything back, per say.

I really hope they implement the precursor + the primordial as the new big threat. It's unclear how really they relate to the flood and if their pure form still exists, but I see a possibility that they were hiding in the "deep space". Also I really loved the idea of them since Cryptum

Given their redesign of Gravemind, I'm really itching to see what other Flood forms will look like... Also would love an official look at the Precursors and the Primordial.

The Flood is unlikely unless it's a different "strain" or something - perhaps the more basal form described in the Forerunner Saga or something that's evolved into a completely new form at some distant edge of the galaxy. The Flood as we've seen it in-game is likely done with forever, outside of isolated side-stories, which is for the best IMO (the Flood were a cool villain, but doing them again as we've already seen would completely undermine the original trilogy).

The Forerunner Remnants also seem unlikely (assuming by that you mean the IsoDidact et. al.) just because they don't seem to fit the bill.

Ur-Didact et. al. seems most likely, since he seems to be positioned as Chief's nemesis and we certainly haven't seen the last of him.

A truly new threat also seems plausible. The mystery race from CEA's terminals was probably established for a reason, so that's a possibility.

Wouldn't be surprised if was a combination of groups either.

- the Flood as we know them still exist. There's hints of them still be around in an early issue of Escalation. I don't think there are different strains. They are just... The Flood. 343 fleshed (sorry) them out a lot more when they took over, so the Flood that we read about are obviously much richer and fuller than the Flood we fought against in-game. I wouldnt count the Flood out. They still have a major roll to play in the end-game.

- I think we'll see IsoDidact and Company again, but not as villains.

- UrDidact will most certainly show up again. He and Chief and the perfect foils, given the genesong within MC, and that hasn't had time to be fully explored yet.

- YES! I'm hoping we find out more about that ship soon. It's driven me crazy since they snuck that in there for no apparent reason. Who are they? Where did they come from? Why didn't anyone try to get out? Where is that sarcophagus now.. Did it get destroyed in the destruction of Halo, or is it in a surviving piece of debris? Are there others out there?

- That seems quite likely.

9781476795850.jpg

It is 2555, more than two years after the Master Chief went missing-in-action following a decisive conflict on Installation 00—the massive, extragalactic Forerunner construct known as the Ark—as part of the final chapter in humanity’s bloody thirty-year struggle against the overwhelming forces of the Covenant. Now, as a tenuous peace exists between the humans and the Elites, a startling scientific discovery is made…and the riddle behind its Forerunner origins could very well seal the fate of the entire galaxy within a matter of weeks. In order to unravel these dangerous secrets, a heroic, hastily formed coalition of humans and Elites must attempt to overcome their differences as they embark on a covert mission back to the Ark—an astonishing, enigmatic place beyond comprehension from which few have returned and where mortal danger awaits them all…

Peter David is a prolific New York Times bestselling author whose career, and continued popularity, spans more than two decades. He has worked in every conceivable media—television, film, books (fiction, nonfiction, and audio), short stories, and comic books—and acquired loyal followings in all of them. In the literary field, he has had more than a hundred novels published. He lives in New York with his wife and four children.

I love the premise of this book. I am excited!

Quick question...

Just finished Halo 4 and I'm a bit confused as to the history of Spartan IV's and Infinity. They just sort of appear in 4 and there's not much backstory given.

When were the Spartan IV's developed? When was Infinity created? Was this explained in a book or a TV show or what?

It's a bit annoying that they just appear in the game with little background. I'm guessing they are assuming most fans will read the ancillary material, but I just play the core games and feel like this flew over my head.

Quick question...

Just finished Halo 4 and I'm a bit confused as to the history of Spartan IV's and Infinity. They just sort of appear in 4 and there's not much backstory given.

When were the Spartan IV's developed? When was Infinity created? Was this explained in a book or a TV show or what?

It's a bit annoying that they just appear in the game with little background. I'm guessing they are assuming most fans will read the ancillary material, but I just play the core games and feel like this flew over my head.

The Infinity and the Spartan IIIs and IVs are fleshed out and explained in the novels below (and in the order I listed):

GHOSTS OF ONYX
GLASSLANDS
THURSDAY WAR
MORTAL DICTATA

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
Quick question...

The Infinity was being developed over the course of the war using the tech from the Covies and found forerunner technology.

Not sure exactly when Spartan-IVs started but the first group went into service in '53

The Infinity and the Spartan IIIs and IVs are fleshed out and explained in the novels below (and in the order I listed):

GHOSTS OF ONYX
GLASSLANDS
THURSDAY WAR
MORTAL DICTATA

Thankee. I'll check those out. Kinda wish they put a little intro primer in the game that explained them, though.

9781476795850.jpg

I love the premise of this book. I am excited!

Okay, that's awesome. Added to my Amazon list.

Quick question...

Halo: Initiation gives the ins and outs of the origins of the SPARTAN IV program, but the short version is: it's the brainchild of a failed Spartan II who wanted to make more Spartans without putting any more children through what he was put through. The program launched after the war was concluded, using gentler augmentations that could be implanted much, much later in life.

The Infinity was in development throughout the war, but was only finished after its conclusion. It's an amalgam of Human, Covenant, and Forerunner tech, with most of the latter copied directly (which comes back to bite them later on). It was only made possible through the efforts of captured/liberated (depending on your perspective) Engineers. I read all that on Halopedia, but I'm sure it's explained somewhere.

Thankee. I'll check those out. Kinda wish they put a little intro primer in the game that explained them, though.

Yeah, for people who didn't read the books, it's kind of bluntly assumed in-game. I think they're going to fix that for Halo 5 but if you read those 4 books it'll put Halo 4 into a pretty cool context for ya. It'll also set up Jul and Halsey's motivations and why Del Rio is kind of a quickly brushed off character in game. Well worth reading- I greatly enjoyed those books (Ghosts of Onyx is a prequel to the other three, which are also known as the Kilo 5 trilogy).

The Infinity was in development throughout the war, but was only finished after its conclusion. It's an amalgam of Human, Covenant, and Forerunner tech, with most of the latter copied directly (which comes back to bite them later on). It was only made possible through the efforts of captured/liberated (depending on your perspective) Engineers. I read all that on Halopedia, but I'm sure it's explained somewhere.

Not in depth to the terms of technical specs, but it's explained at face value through the Kilo 5 trilogy on a very basic level.

Yeah, for people who didn't read the books, it's kind of bluntly assumed in-game. I think they're going to fix that for Halo 5 but if you read those 4 books it'll put Halo 4 into a pretty cool context for ya. It'll also set up Jul and Halsey's motivations and why Del Rio is kind of a quickly brushed off character in game. Well worth reading- I greatly enjoyed those books (Ghosts of Onyx is a prequel to the other three, which are also known as the Kilo 5 trilogy).

Not in depth to the terms of technical specs, but it's explained at face value through the Kilo 5 trilogy on a very basic level.

I've very deliberately tried to forget them, so that's probably why.

Top Bottom