• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Fuchsdh

Current lore seems to be driving towards "everyone is a spartan"

Makes a fair amount of sense; if you've dramatically reduced the casualty rate and risks, why wouldn't you want your soldiers to all be massively more effective?

I still think the Didact will be in it, one form or another...but I'd definitely like to know what's become of the Prophets and have a bit more revealed about them pre-Halo blast (when they were beautiful creatures).

Whilst there was a sense of closure at the end, there were quite a few hints of what's to come, that once played out, will likely make people look back and go Holy Shit!

Halo 4 to me seemed to be laying a lot of thematic groundwork, rather than the usual "and this happens in the sequel!" plot points (outside of I guess Cortana.)

FordGTGuy

Banned

There are certain generations of spartans but they are not created equally.

The latest spartans are a far cry from something like Master Chief, they are no where near his strength or speed.

Latest spartans are just soldiers given chemical augmentations(basically permanent steroids) in order to use MJLONR armor without killing themselves in the process.

Caayn

The image of a Spartan being strong, smart, cunning, selfless and brave has already been destroyed with the introduction of the IVs.

It won't surprise me if the word Spartan becomes even more meaningless.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
This month in badly drawn Halo:

hep1_zpsc97a5962.png

hep2_zps26ca9d5c.png

hep3_zps6df9117e.png

Bonus!

hepbonus_zps285ba239.png

W.S.

How the hell did Halo get shafted in the art department? We got quality shit in the Graphic Novel and Uprising.

Well the Halo Graphic Novel had short stories/vignettes so the artists of that book didn't have to do deadline intensive monthly work. Halo Uprising was also a limited series (which had really bad delays due to Bungie/Microsoft's approval system) so Alex Maleev's art was still able to stay consistent.

Escalation on the other hand is an ongoing book, albeit with an endpoint, so it's bound to have inconsistent average art. They most likely have to get these issues out before Halo 5 comes out so there's not a whole lot of time to labor over their craft. My friend Juan Castro actually works on the book as an inker, he's doing a great job considering the workload but it is disappointing that Escalation isn't able to provide the level of art as good as the Graphic Novel or Limited Series.

Toa TAK

Banned
Well the Halo Graphic Novel had short stories/vignettes so the artists of that book didn't have to do deadline intensive monthly work. Halo Uprising was also a limited series (which had really bad delays due to Bungie/Microsoft's approval system) so Alex Maleev's art was still able to stay consistent.

Escalation on the other hand is an ongoing book, albeit with an endpoint, so it's bound to have inconsistent average art. They most likely have to get these issues out before Halo 5 comes out so there's not a whole lot of time to labor over their craft. My friend Juan Castro actually works on the book as an inker, he's doing a great job considering the workload but it is disappointing that Escalation isn't able to provide the level of art as good as the Graphic Novel or Limited Series.

I feel like for as big as they are they could've hired someone who was a better penciler.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

If they are going to publish a product that they know is going to be subpar, then maybe they should refrain from publishing it.

Fuchsdh

How the hell did Halo get shafted in the art department? We got quality shit in the Graphic Novel and Uprising.

Uprising wasn't my style, but it wasn't bad.

Which stories bothered you in HGN? Only one that got me was "Second Sunrise Over New Mombasa", which I still don't understand except that the artist had never seen Halo before in his life. They must have given him some random batch of reference material; I'm not sure how else Shi Kai Wang's early concepts for the Elites ended up in that story.

Toa TAK

Banned
Uprising wasn't my style, but it wasn't bad.

Which stories bothered you in HGN? Only one that got me was "Second Sunrise Over New Mombasa", which I still don't understand except that the artist had never seen Halo before in his life. They must have given him some random batch of reference material; I'm not sure how else Shi Kai Wang's early concepts for the Elites ended up in that story.

None of them bothered me in HGN, I was saying that the art in those stories were great. Just a poor adjective used on my part. :p

Though SSONM isn't my cup of tea, though I didn't think it was bad by any means.

I loved Uprising's grittiness, though. That felt just right for the buildup after 2 leading into 3. Set the tone perfectly for what was to come in Halo 3, I thought.

Just finished the Kilo-Five Trilogy. I had originally read Glasslands back when it came out, and bought the subsequent books, but never ended up getting around to the other two. Aside from the first few chapters of Glasslands where they finished up the Onyx arc, I was kind of 'meh' on the book. That said, I wanted to finish the trilogy so I picked up The Thursday War and Moral Dictata up on Audible and I have to say, those two are much better than Glasslands and Euan Morton did a pretty good job on narration considering he gave everyone their own voice and tried to match accents.

Having finished the trilogy, I'm feeling overall positive on it and am actually kind of wanting more content dealing with the Kilo-Five gang. I really wish I had gotten around to this before I played Halo 4 though considering how much info it cleared up in the Campaign for me. If I had to choose my top three favourites they would mostly be BB, Mal and Vaz, but with everyone else as a close second.

Anyhow, onto the story. I found that I really enjoyed the Special-Ops nature of the trilogy, something which I hope future stories will continue to play on. It started hitting heavy once it got into deep dark secrets of the Spartan 2 Program and Naomi's and Osmans pasts. I felt for Staffan and liked how he survived in the end to give Naomi her birthday present. Lastly the moment with Osman's teacher got me to almost shed a tear. Jul is still a prick, but I can see where he is coming from now.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see what the next novel series will be. Now that I'm all caught up on all the books I'll be ready to read in on day one.

I did the audio books as well (while at work, read the books at home). The narration was excellent. Halsey bashing aside, they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

BB was the best contribution to the lore.
Such a tragic story
. Osman and Naomi were great as well, and I like that Vas ended up more complex than he initially seemed. Hope any or all of them make an appearance in the games.

Hmm. On the one hand, Mega Bloks. On the other hand, Vulture. So I'm torn.

Also, could this mean that my wish came true and the Vulture is sneaking into Halo 5?

I also wonder if the Vulture set is a misname for the Condor, since it would pair well with the Smuggler Ship.

Are there any kind of cons or tradeshows where these sets would debut? Really curious about them, especially, like I said, if there are possible H5 spoilers.

I also wonder if the Vulture set is a misname for the Condor, since it would pair well with the Smuggler Ship.

Are there any kind of cons or tradeshows where these sets would debut? Really curious about them, especially, like I said, if there are possible H5 spoilers.

Oh, I hope not. The Condor is just an extra-large pelican, that's boring.

As to the latter, there's probably something, but I don't think the big shows happen until the fall. Probably better off watching their website for info.

Oh, I hope not. The Condor is just an extra-large pelican, that's boring.

As to the latter, there's probably something, but I don't think the big shows happen until the fall. Probably better off watching their website for info.

yeah, I agree. Vultures are far more interesting.

Mega Bloks never struck me as the kind of company to post listings this far in advance. I thought self spoiling was a Lego thing?
Especially with Bionicle 2015

Tzeentch

The current MegaBloks are great. Heads and shoulders over their original stuff in terms of quality control and instructions. I have the Scarab on my desk and it's a stunner.

The current MegaBloks are great. Heads and shoulders over their original stuff in terms of quality control and instructions. I have the Scarab on my desk and it's a stunner.

Yeah Mega Bloks has really surprised me over the years. Getting far better in their bulid quality.

Dammit, don't tell me that. The only reason I have any money at all is because I've convinced myself that none of the Halo MegaBloks are worth owning.

Dammit, don't tell me that. The only reason I have any money at all is because I've convinced myself that none of the Halo MegaBloks are worth owning.

I haven't gotten that deep into it yet. I have the H4 Cryo Bay, a Mongoose with Covey turret, a Brute Chopper with UNSC turret, a Ghost with Elite Zealot, and a few of the blinds. Haven't broken the bank yet.

Fuchsdh

Ach, the fact that I've got all these LEGOs pretty effectively stops me from wanting MegaBloks. Both in that I don't need more crap cluttering up my space, and I'd rather have everything play nice with what I've already got. For those that buy the toys though, it's nice that they're quality.

I haven't gotten that deep into it yet. I have the H4 Cryo Bay, a Mongoose with Covey turret, a Brute Chopper with UNSC turret, a Ghost with Elite Zealot, and a few of the blinds. Haven't broken the bank yet.

Hmm, will have to look into those. I have a piece count addiction, though, so that drives up the price.

Also, on the subject of possible spoilers, the fuck is this?

LordOfChaos

Just finished the Kilo-Five Trilogy. I had originally read Glasslands back when it came out, and bought the subsequent books, but never ended up getting around to the other two. Aside from the first few chapters of Glasslands where they finished up the Onyx arc, I was kind of 'meh' on the book. That said, I wanted to finish the trilogy so I picked up The Thursday War and Moral Dictata up on Audible and I have to say, those two are much better than Glasslands and Euan Morton did a pretty good job on narration considering he gave everyone their own voice and tried to match accents.

Having finished the trilogy, I'm feeling overall positive on it and am actually kind of wanting more content dealing with the Kilo-Five gang. I really wish I had gotten around to this before I played Halo 4 though considering how much info it cleared up in the Campaign for me. If I had to choose my top three favourites they would mostly be BB, Mal and Vaz, but with everyone else as a close second.

Anyhow, onto the story. I found that I really enjoyed the Special-Ops nature of the trilogy, something which I hope future stories will continue to play on. It started hitting heavy once it got into deep dark secrets of the Spartan 2 Program and Naomi's and Osmans pasts. I felt for Staffan and liked how he survived in the end to give Naomi her birthday present. Lastly the moment with Osman's teacher got me to almost shed a tear. Jul is still a prick, but I can see where he is coming from now.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see what the next novel series will be. Now that I'm all caught up on all the books I'll be ready to read in on day one.

Another one! There's a whole lot of Kilo-5 hate out there, but I actually really enjoyed them too, gobbled up all three really fast.

I too wanted to see more of the characters in other lore, and to see what happens to them after all these events.

The little of them we saw in Halo 4 was disappointing, but understandable for the main series. Maybe we'll see more of them in other formats.

ODST 2 with vaz and mal? Sign me up! Oh, and FFS give BB to Chief if BB is still around...With the timelines though, he may not be :(

The bit at the end about his origin was pretty sad too. I wonder if he would ever go and find out later in his life.

Hmm, will have to look into those. I have a piece count addiction, though, so that drives up the price.

I treat a good chunk of sets like I do movie tie in toys. There's a lot of liberties taken that don't end up in the actual franchise.

The sets that actually have H5 in the title are the ones that seem to be 100% featured in the game. At least that's how it appears to be.

I treat a good chunk of sets like I do movie tie in toys. There's a lot of liberties taken that don't end up in the actual franchise.

The sets that actually have H5 in the title are the ones that seem to be 100% featured in the game. At least that's how it appears to be.

Ah, you're probably right.

What have you designed Stinkles?!

Bit of an info dump for you guys.

New Mega Bloks sets in June

And an Art of Halo 5 book in August.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1608876497/

Seems awfully soon for merch to come out that could potentially spoil the game...

(thanks to http://haruspis.tumblr.com/ for the info)

Vulture, that'd be nice.

So 343 posted another Lore Q&A
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-have-s-moa

Two things stuck out to me.

Is the unknown Forerunner construct in the E3 2013 a War Sphinx?
- Voleheartmecraz

No. However, many fans have already gazed into the eye of one variant of war sphinx – while investigating Halsey’s laboratory on Ivanoff Station in Halo 4.

I don't remember this. What part can I find it in?

What is the canonical design of the Charon-class Frigate? The one featured in Halo 3, or Halo 4?
- Onyx81

Halo 3 shows the canonical Charon-class, while Halo 4 introduced us to the Strident-class of UNSC frigates.

I'm a bit confused. In Halo 3 the FUD was a Charon class, but the FUD in H4 was represented by a Strident class design. Now 343 is saying it's both? Wut?

kingwingin

Can anyone list the games and books in order? I tried searching it and people have different list orders and some people list essential and non essential books.

I really want to get into halo lore and finish everything up before halo 5 releases

Can anyone list the games and books in order? I tried searching it and people have different list orders and some people list essential and non essential books.

I really want to get into halo lore and finish everything up before halo 5 releases
Do you want Chronological Order or Release Order? If you want release order check out this Halopedia article.

If you want Chronological Order, I'd personally read in this order because it will keep things as linear as possible for you. You can either choose to read The Forerunner Saga first or last, but I'd personally wait until you finish the other books before it just so it makes more sense.

The First Contact and the beginning of the Human/Covenant War
Contact Harvest

Spartan 2 and Spartan 3 Saga
The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx

Kilo-Five Trilogy (picks up directly after Ghosts of Onyx)
Glasslands
The Thursday War
Moral Dictata

The Forerunner Saga
Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium

The Rest
The Cole Protocol
Evolutions
Broken Circle

With that out of the way, the timeline, books and games together goes something like below. Stuff on the same line separated by a dash happens at the same time

The Forerunner Saga
Contact Harvest
Halo Wars
The Fall of Reach - The Cole Protocol - Halo Reach
Halo 1 - The Flood
First Strike - Ghosts of Onyx
Halo 2 - ODST
Halo 3
Kilo-Five Trilogy
Halo 4

Fuchsdh

I think the comic story is decent, and the art has improved from incredibly mediocre to okay. Still a shame Microsoft can't put more money and/or effort into getting a first-rate artist attached to it.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's... better.

Though that's not saying much :p I'm a little behind myself, but it picked up after issue 13 or so.
"Better"? =( The only thing I enjoyed from this whole series was the Master Chief story against the Didact. Though I'm not sure what's going to come out of it.
It marginally improved, but not by much. The story all feels like filler still, which is a bummer.

Tomb Raider comics are fantastic.
Gah. I should pick those up as soon as I'm done with the novel.
I think the comic story is decent, and the art has improved from incredibly mediocre to okay. Still a shame Microsoft can't put more money and/or effort into getting a first-rate artist attached to it.

And I'll never understand this. It's their flagshipt title and yet the comics look like trash. =\

Top Bottom