• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

My apologies for awakening a sleeping thread but has there been any news or leaks about any new Halo novels? Just read Broken Circle not long ago and my thirst for more lore has not been quenched LOL

Fuchsdh

My apologies for awakening a sleeping thread but has there been any news or leaks about any new Halo novels? Just read Broken Circle not long ago and my thirst for more lore has not been quenched LOL

Well, the novels usually only get announced a (compared to the games) short time before they actually drop. Broken Circle just came out so I doubt we'll be hearing about another one until at least closer to Halo 5's launch.

Have you read all the previous materials? There's still plenty of Halo written word out there to sate you if you haven't :)

(And this thread is kind of meant to be sleeping until someone has something interesting to say...)

Well, the novels usually only get announced a (compared to the games) short time before they actually drop. Broken Circle just came out so I doubt we'll be hearing about another one until at least closer to Halo 5's launch.

Have you read all the previous materials? There's still plenty of Halo written word out there to sate you if you haven't :)

(And this thread is kind of meant to be sleeping until someone has something interesting to say...)

Unfortunately I have read every single Halo novel and comic up to this point LOL.

LordOfChaos

Broken Circle question/spoiler

There's a scene where Mken commands Ernicka beside him to do something...Except, there was no indication Ernicka left the Ussans,or was disloyal. Is this just a mistake? Some other Sangheili named Ernicka that was never explained? Because the Scar Maker seemed the least likely to be disloyal.

LordOfChaos

Oh, and I'm also just pondering
if there's any relation between the biological tech based Forerunners who were lost to most of the rest of them, and the biological tech based San Shyuum on Janjur Qom...They seem similar in concept, forgoing hard technology for DNA manipulation. I wonder if the Qomians learned about that splinter group of Forerunners somehow

Fuchsdh

Oh, and I'm also just pondering
if there's any relation between the biological tech based Forerunners who were lost to most of the rest of them, and the biological tech based San Shyuum on Janjur Qom...They seem similar in concept, forgoing hard technology for DNA manipulation. I wonder if the Qomians learned about that splinter group of Forerunners somehow

I suppose it's possible that they're related (although I'm pretty sure those Forerunners got wiped out) but I think it's more similar constraints producing similar outcomes.

Korten

Banned
Since I saw no one posting! I updated the main post for the new comic issue.

Which, I really liked this first issue, it seems finally the story is moving on from the threads built
up in Spartan ops. Also maybe it's just me but the art is a lot better..? It's still the same artist but the faces and such didn't look bad. Maybe that part's just me...

LordOfChaos

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961216

Launching in fall 2015 exclusively on Xbox One, Halo 5: Guardians continues the story of the Master Chief, and introduces a brand new central character to the Halo universe – Spartan Locke. Peace is shattered when colony worlds are unexpectedly attacked. And when humanity’s greatest hero goes missing, Spartan Locke is tasked with hunting the Master Chief and solving a mystery that threatens the entire galaxy.

Weird. I guess the Didact plotline will be left alone for a while then? He's not done yet. I wonder if this will have us fighting the old Covanant races. That MCC collection epilogue cutscene implied that at least the Arbiter and Locke are fighting them. Prophets return?

Euron

Weird. I guess the Didact plotline will be left alone for a while then? He's not done yet. I wonder if this will have us fighting the old Covanant races. That MCC collection epilogue cutscene implied that at least the Arbiter and Locke are fighting them. Prophets return?
That's what I've been wondering: Who will take center stage in Halo 5 as the villain? It can't just be M'Dama and his Covenant Rebels, can it? Revamped Prometheans? Return of the flood? What mystery? Will we see other Forerunners? Is there an underlying connection to the Precursors? Sadly I don't feel that the answers in Halo 5 will be that satisfying.

LordOfChaos

And just by them saying "Covanant" in the MCC epilogue...The covenant does by definition mean the union started between the Prophets and Elites, right? Maybe there are still some Prophet loyalists?

Toa TAK

Banned
I like them, but only in contrast with the IIs and IIIs. I find the "regular" Spartans interacting with the "next-gen" ones is interesting on multiple levels.

Same here.

Though on their own, yeah, I can't find myself to care for them or think they're as fascinating as the II and IIIs.

Fuchsdh

I think Thorne in SpOps and Ray in Escalation have provided distinct personalities and been worthwhile additions. Aside from their backstories, there wasn't much that made Spartan IIs or IIIs much more interesting; frankly aside from their shared experiences and history with the Chief I never found Fred, Kelly or Linda all that interesting in Nylund's works; I'm just interested in not jettisoning old characters for no good reason.

LordOfChaos

Just finished Broken Circle, definitely not my favourite. I appreciate how hard writing a book is, especially when you're handed an existing and extensive universe, but there was just little to chew on in it for me. I couldn't really care about any of the characters, and nor did it advanced the overarching Halo story much. Perhaps the Ussan Sangheili will come into play on the larger scale eventually...But instinct says no, it's just a self contained story.

Same. At least make the Hunter worms infected with the Flood or something.

We didn't even get
a Locke in armor shot...

Lekgolo can't be infected by the flood, they lack a central nervous system for infection to occur, they can be killed by the flood, just not by infection forms.

Fuchsdh

And just by them saying "Covanant" in the MCC epilogue...The covenant does by definition mean the union started between the Prophets and Elites, right? Maybe there are still some Prophet loyalists?

I kind of feel like the "Covenant" is just a recognizable name for "them aliens", both to the UNSC and, for outside of canon reasons, for players. What might get more confusing is if there are more friendly ex-Covenant factions as well in the same game.

I kind of feel like the "Covenant" is just a recognizable name for "them aliens", both to the UNSC and, for outside of canon reasons, for players. What might get more confusing is if there are more friendly ex-Covenant factions as well in the same game.

Outside of Elites, it could get confusing, but using the classic purple/pink color scheme for Covenant Elites, and introduce a new armor style for Arbiter's faction.

Outside of Elites, it could get confusing, but using the classic purple/pink color scheme for Covenant Elites, and introduce a new armor style for Arbiter's faction.

The Arbiter's Elites in the prologue and epilogue were wearing classic Halo 2/3 armor. Wasn't the Lich they were aboard green?

I think it'll be safe to assume that, if we're still fighting Mdama's forces, they'll probably be wearing that ceremonial-looking armor they had in 4.

Fuchsdh

The Arbiter's Elites in the prologue and epilogue were wearing classic Halo 2/3 armor. Wasn't the Lich they were aboard green?

I think it'll be safe to assume that, if we're still fighting Mdama's forces, they'll probably be wearing that ceremonial-looking armor they had in 4.

Wasn't a fan of the armor for the minor Elites (H2A Elite armor is probably my favorite overall now, beating out OG Halo 2) but the Halo 4 Zealots looked great, and I liked their stripped-down aesthetic from a standpoint of these guys essentially being rebels.

(Really shouldn't have made everything have green running lights though.)

As for the cinematic... I'm assuming that the Arbiter is actually a game model, since we've already seen that design in Escalation, but I'd hazard a guess the Elites are just carryovers from H2A rather than what the average Elite will actually look like (we could dream, though.)

Toa TAK

Banned
I still prefer OG Halo 2's Elite designs over the H2A. I think it's just the eyes being on the front of the face, instead of the side which does me over. And the whole forehead gap as well.

Plus, in game, the hooves on them are detailed in OG Halo 2, as opposed to being flat in H2A.

No biggie, just my personal preference on the design. But I do like the barebones style of the Elites in Halo 4 as well. It just makes sense with them being a rebel faction.

The Halo Waypoint bios are pretty detailed, with a few gems thrown in. Arbiter's men are called the Swords of Sanghelios. Don't think they've been mentioned by name yet.

LordOfChaos

Which comics were the Elite-Brute peace talks from? Found this in the wiki, it doesn't list where its' from

HE_Spartans_Ealen_IV.png

Glass

I hope the Didact is left out of Halo 5. He wasn't a strong enough antagonist imo, not with just what Halo 4 itself presented. Outside of Chief and Cortana, I'm not sure anything which happened in 4 was strong enough to 'stick' and launch an entire new trilogy. I'm glad 5 is introducing some new blood alongside old familiar faces like the Arbiter.

I hope the Didact is left out of Halo 5. He wasn't a strong enough antagonist imo, not with just what Halo 4 itself presented. Outside of Chief and Cortana, I'm not sure anything which happened in 4 was strong enough to 'stick' and launch an entire new trilogy. I'm glad 5 is introducing some new blood alongside old familiar faces like the Arbiter.

I'm chalking up Halo 4 to the bridging entry in the series. Halo 5 seems to be a whole new beast.

Fuchsdh

I'm chalking up Halo 4 to the bridging entry in the series. Halo 5 seems to be a whole new beast.

Yeah I remember a lot of people knocking Halo 4's story not for flaws, really, but for the fact that people expected it was going to start the new trilogy, and it mostly told a straight, self-contained story.

Yeah I remember a lot of people knocking Halo 4's story not for flaws, really, but for the fact that people expected it was going to start the new trilogy, and it mostly told a straight, self-contained story.

It's really the only way I can take it. It clears the board just enough that future games will truly be able to be their own arc. Plus, if they wanted to still call it a trilogy (even though they're not), it'd go 1-3, 4, then 5-7. Gotta have that 7 in there!

New book/story sounds awesome. Finally getting my dream of Buck
joining the Spartan IV Program :D
. Now just put him in another Halo game! Curious about its release though. Free download? Paid novel? How much later for the physical edition? Hope they answer more soon.

Korten

Banned
Newest issue is out today and I shall update the main post once my new mouse arrives... Anyway I thought it was a great issue and things seem be getting hot, quickly. I only wonder what these events mean for Halo 5.

Digital release only, right?

And since Nathan Fillion was already in the announcement trailer for H5 multi, I wouldn't be surprised to see Buck pop up as a Spartan IV during H5.

I still think the Didact will be in it, one form or another...but I'd definitely like to know what's become of the Prophets and have a bit more revealed about them pre-Halo blast (when they were beautiful creatures).

Whilst there was a sense of closure at the end, there were quite a few hints of what's to come, that once played out, will likely make people look back and go Holy Shit!

Top Bottom