• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
forerunners_by_azakachi_rd_17-d5uizsm.jpg

Beautiful. You're beautiful.

Heretic

This compilation reeks of damage control vs Destiny's ample package whereas a simpler focus on Halo 2 would have been sufficient IMO.

The all thing around the campaign being watched/played through the eyes of Halo 5's Agent Locke is nice but not necessary (except for some fancy unified menu) and I can't help but flag it under "343i likes to show off" rather that "343i has great game ideas"...
This fucking guy LOL!

Nice

defghik

It depends on if the netcode has also been improved. If you slapped H2's code straight onto a dedicated server, you'd still have the problem with shots across the map not counting, because from the server's perspective you'd constantly be missing, even with small amounts of latency.

What H3, Reach, and presumably H4 did was actually listen to the client under very specific conditions, which is why shots counted. Assuming they didn't get lost by Comcast's crappy network or something.
Yeah, it was so bad in H2 that there were problems with long range shot registration even on LAN. Host was still a major advantage on LAN because of this.

The biggest uananswered question to me is how the netcode is going to work for Halo 1 and 2 (and even 3, which had vastly inferior netcode to Reach and H4). It's hard to imagine them using the lockstep LAN netcode the Xbox version of H1 shipped with, and there's no way in hell they're going to use the totally broken H1 PC code. I also really hope they fix the shot registration problems in H2, and the lack of physics off-host (and of course, everybody is off-host now with dedicated servers).

I'm pretty much echoing these questions here:

First off, I'm super excited for this and am buying an Xbox One exclusively for it. That said, I have a few concerns:

• The question in the first post to the devs about whether H1 online feels like LAN was totally dodged. has the game been optimized for online play and feel like it does playing it on LAN with low latency, or does it feel like playing H1 PC on a dedicated server (a mess of mangled netcode).
  • Same as above, except for Halo 2. How's it play online with the servers? Does it feel like nobody's host and everyone's BR and shotgun has limited efficacy, or does it feel like LAN where it felt like everyone was host and you had to adjust your strategy accordingly?
  • What's with the whole "system link is tricky" nonsense? LAN play is a key feature of Halo, especially since MLG wants to put it back in the rotation. What's so tricky about guaranteed low latency?

EmpReb

Banned
It depresses me so much that you're right and this will be the primary topic of conversation for the generation.

I miss the days when console gamers told the PC guys that graphics didn't matter, only game play.
Sorry but PC gamers where right about that and still are.

In light of these news, we've been replaying 3 and 4. One thing that annoyed me in 4 is how quickly all the drops from enemies disappear. When the game released, I assumed it was because of performance issues. Any chance this could be tweaked for the collection?

I'd really like to see videos of these 2 running on Xbox One. Almost 7 years later, I still think Halo 3 is at its core a beautiful game that would shine given proper IQ. Well, except for these character models lol.

danwarb

It would be AMAZING if they added theater mode for Halo 4 campaign. That campaign is so god damn pretty, I've wanted to mess with that so much.

It's not as photo/zoom friendly as Reach or even Halo 3. There are more unflattering angles. A lot of nasty background, sky textures.

Man all this Halo talk has me really wanting to binge play 1-4 but with this around the corner I'll maybe go replay reach or ODST.

I'm also really pumped to use the CE pistols online

watership

This compilation reeks of damage control vs Destiny's ample package whereas a simpler focus on Halo 2 would have been sufficient IMO.

The all thing around the campaign being watched/played through the eyes of Halo 5's Agent Locke is nice but not necessary (except for some fancy unified menu) and I can't help but flag it under "343i likes to show off" rather that "343i has great game ideas"...

I just wanted to quote this, to say that on this day, hour, minute, i read it, and lived.

Eoin

In light of these news, we've been replaying 3 and 4. One thing that annoyed me in 4 is how quickly all the drops from enemies disappear. When the game released, I assumed it was because of performance issues. Any chance this could be tweaked for the collection?
Yeah this was so annoying and I hope the fix it. It's not like it would be any work either, it would just be a matter of deleting the code responsible for it.
I meant whether any other games in the collection shown off at E3?
They only showed off a little of Halo 2, we've seen no footage of the others yet.

Been running around the default Halo 2 maps that I have and just thinking to myself how awesome it'd be to see some of them in updated graphics, especially Colossus with brand new lighting. Really, these maps ought to have a shot:

Waterworks
Colossus
Burial Mounds
Terminal
Relic
Containment

None of these have ever been remade (though Waterworks arguably was reimagined in Halo 4's Shatter) and I think it'd be nice to see something different get attention. I'm afraid that the "favorites" are going to be the same maps that were already remade once - Midship, Lockout, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower, Coagulation, and Zanzibar. It's a solid list no doubt, but at the same time it's already been done. Then again, I suppose redundancy isn't exactly something they're avoiding in a collection of old games.

jem0208

Been running around the default Halo 2 maps that I have and just thinking to myself how awesome it'd be to see some of them in updated graphics, especially Colossus with brand new lighting. Really, these maps ought to have a shot:

Waterworks
Colossus
Burial Mounds
Terminal
Relic
Containment

None of these have ever been remade (though Waterworks arguably was reimagined in Halo 4's Shatter) and I think it'd be nice to see something different get attention. I'm afraid that the "favorites" are going to be the same maps that were already remade once - Midship, Lockout, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower, Coagulation, and Zanzibar. It's a solid list no doubt, but at the same time it's already been done. Then again, I suppose redundancy isn't exactly something they're avoiding in a collection of old games.
They are doing more than just remastering the maps though. So even if they do remake the tried and true Halo 2 maps they should hopefully have a few interesting twists on them.

Navy Bean

I'm surprised at how excited I am for this collection. I mean, I heard the rumors and was like, okay, that might be cool. But now, seeing how they are putting it together I can't wait to dive in. Especially playing the single player campaigns back to back. I haven't played 1, 2, or 3 in years but IMO they are all as good as it gets for FPS single player games. And the story is simple but pretty damn good as these things go.

And even though I'm not very good at Halo multiplayer I always have fun because there are relatively few "cheap" kills. If you win a gun battle it usually means you did something right versus getting lucky. That's all, hope it's as good as advertised.

FrankT

It's the most exciting piece of software this fall bar none. Where in the world will you find so much content in one package. Destiny? Ha. COD, give me a break.

This is the premier software this fall.

Madness

Watership down!

Frank please, is there going to some anti-aliasing implement to help with jaggies in the older games, also, will Halo 3 get a better FoV? And why was H5 Guardians revealed at 3 am PST at night? Was it to get it out of the way while people were still sleeping?

Silky

Banned
All of this really does sound just...too perfect. I keep coming back to this thread thinking, "there's going to be SOME way that they fuck this up. Just some small thing that won't mean shit to anyone, but for me is going to bum the hell out of me. " It might be my cynicism kicking in, but I think I finally found what that 'thing' might be.

I own all of the Halos and recently I've been going back to show my younger siblings why I enjoy the series so much, etc etc. (kick them off of their CoD addiction for a bit.) We played through the campaigns of 1-3, and now we're working through ODST and Spartan Ops. Regarding the trilogy, there's something about the game and how it handles/controls that makes me meld back into the series so easily. Even 4 which is a fucking weird game, I would say /feels/ like a Halo game. It's hard , for a lot of shooters to replicate this feel. Even Halo remasters, like CE:A, don't feel like classic Halo. There's something off about CE:A that I can't put my finger on. Great remaster outside of the multiplayer, but it's just...it's indescribable. It's why I played on normal graphics the majority of the game.

With this collection, i hope that the remaster can nail the physics, controls, hit detection, gunplay, etc that made me really enjoy Halo 2. I have faith that 3 and 4 will be 100% okay, but it's 1 and 2's MP that I'm concerned about. I'm going to buy this collection, day one, with no hesitation. But I won't lie and say I won't be upset if I get the same feelings I got from CE:A with this game.

But I won't lie and say I don't get a massive stiffy with the thought of Lockout in 60fps/1080p. Beaver Creek, pistols only, in 60fps/1080p. God I love this series.

And Halo 5 better be hype, goddammit.

Demon Ice

Banned

Lmao. PS4 is the only current-gen console I own at the moment and I just want to say this is a freaking terrible post.

This Halo compilation is the first thing on the XB1 that's made me seriously consider picking up the console, because I have wanted 1080p60 Halo pretty much since the rest of the games were rumored to be coming to PC, not to mention a return to the multiplayer of Halo 2 and 3. No idea where you're getting this whole "damage control" paranoia from but it's pretty funny. Especially since the unified UI / unified matchmaking / everything unlocked from the get go is really fucking cool

klodeckel

Banned
You know what really blew me away I saw the presentation at the Media Briefing live at first?

The actual look of Halo. I mean Halo as the actual ring. They really nailed it with the atmosphere and depth of the ring. Looks like you "feel" to be on that ring this time. Really like that atmosphere.

Madness

You know what really blew me away I saw the presentation at the Media Briefing live at first?

The actual look of Halo. I mean Halo as the actual ring. They really nailed it with the atmosphere and depth of the ring. Looks like you "feel" to be on that ring this time. Really like that feel!

Yeah its a damn shame only 6 maps. I'd have liked if they cut Halo 4 altogether, gave us all H2 maps remade instead, turned it into a trilogy only package. I mean will you honestly play H4 multi if you can get H2 game play in an updated H4 engine that removed flinch? Like the H2A multi-player will be a nice look at what next Gen/new Halo can look and play like with classic Halo game play. I wish the H2 medals were available and that white text could be turned off.

furious

Banned
I can't believe how genuinely excited I am for this.

I've got a core group of (local) friends that I regularly have Xbox (360) LANs with. They haven't picked up an Xbox One, but genuinely enjoyed Halo 4. With the announcement, they've all agreed it's a good deal.

I can't wait to play the classic titles with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom