• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing rezzed-up versions of either Halo campaigns or maps when Bungie's new game offers co-op, MP, campaign in one modern package is a no-no.

Speak for yourself. Playing through Halo 1 - 2 & 3 at 1080p 60fps? I'll be having an erection for days.

U2NUMB

Super excited for this game HOWEVER... there is one thing that I am worried about.

With both Halo CE:A and Halo 4... the 2 343 games I lost all single player progress after beating the game.. my save simply would never read. I saw many posts on xbox.com and it was never fixed or even responded to. I can only imagine my rage if I lost progress on 4 campaigns on this game..

With that being said I am still 100% pre ordering and super pumped I just expect to have issues. Hopefully being on the X1 with cloud saves that will help.

This thread is awesome by the way... so many memories!!!

I played a little of Halo 4 campaign again last night and the game still looks stunning on the 360, I can only imagine how it will look at a higher res and twice the frame rate.

Feindflug

It's not supposed to compete against Destiny, CoD, Battlefield, Sunset Overdrive or Assassin's Creed, it's a rerelease of a GREAT franchise with some GREAT new features.

What damage are they controlling? This is fanservice to get people hype for Halo 5 and MY GOD it's working VERY well with me.

Basically predicting that Ass Creed (lol) & Sunset Overdrive (which AFAIK doesn't even have competitive MP) could make the Halo playlists look deserted is laughable.

Also I don't get the "vs Destiny/damage control" thing that supposedly 343i and MS are doing with the MC Collection. Destiny is coming out on Xbone, why the hell would they want to compete with another game that's on their platform? if Destiny was a PS4 exclusive such a theory could make more sense but now it simply doesn't.

Trying to shit like this in what it looks like the best HD collection ever is really sad and funny at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to the reinvigoration of the Halo multiplayer. I love Halo, yet I've only ever played the campaigns, and not even in co-op. Having been reminded of how fun shooting other people online can be thanks to Titanfall, I can't wait to experience the best that Halo multiplayer has to offer first hand.

jem0208

Super excited for this game HOWEVER... there is one thing that I am worried about.

With both Halo CE:A and Halo 4... the 2 343 games I lost all single player progress after beating the game.. my save simply would never read. I saw many posts on xbox.com and it was never fixed or even responded to. I can only imagine my rage if I lost progress on 4 campaigns on this game..

With that being said I am still 100% pre ordering and super pumped I just expect to have issues. Hopefully being on the X1 with cloud saves that will help.

Every mission is unlocked from the start, so even if you do lose progress you can just start it up from where you left off.

Skull.jpg

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!

IWHBYD SKULL....

I want to see the first Mythic run with all skulls activated, INCLUDING the new skulls they're adding to it. Should be bizonkers.

jelly

Not to make anyone feel silly but was it maybe the "save and exit" way of Halo saving people weren't doing and like many other games, expecting saving to be automatic ?

or it was just a bug like you said.

danwarb

I'm pretty much the opposite.

MC Collection feels like a pot-pourri where only Halo2A campaign and its 6 reworked MP maps are worth considering.

Playing rezzed-up versions of either Halo campaigns or maps when Bungie's new game offers co-op, MP, campaign in one modern package is a no-no.

I'm seriously flabbergasted no-one speaks of how deserted the playlists will be...

It releases after COD, after Battlefield, after Destiny, after Sunset Overdrive, after Assassin's Creed, all big games, all with major online play incentives...

I'm still happy I'll play vanilla Halo2 with reworked textures, but this collection is as much damage control (vs Destiny especially and after the repeat failure of Halo MP being the King) as it is a clebration of the X1 being Halo's home.
It's just sad this time.

I like Halo. This collection is 4 Halo games with improved visuals, at 60fps, and MP on dedicated servers. Plus the movie thing. What are you doing? What does any of this have to do with a game that isn't Halo?

MC Collection feels like a pot-pourri where only Halo2A campaign and its 6 reworked MP maps are worth considering.

I'm seriously flabbergasted no-one speaks of how deserted the playlists will be...

It releases after COD, after Battlefield, after Destiny, after Sunset Overdrive, after Assassin's Creed, all big games, all with major online play incentives...

I'm still happy I'll play vanilla Halo2 with reworked textures, but this collection is as much damage control (vs Destiny especially and after the repeat failure of Halo MP being the King) as it is a clebration of the X1 being Halo's home.

There's nothing wrong if the H2A stuff is the only thing that appeals to you. Many people buy games entirely for one feature so it's nothing new or controversial. Playlist population is a legitimate concern (one 343 has already addressed), but frontlining that along with the other empty points you're using to undermine the value of what is essentially 5 Halo games for the price of one is not going to win you points here.

Similarly, you're underestimating the Halo community, especially by comparing it to 4 completely different games. As evidenced by Reach and Halo 4's reception, Halo people want to play Halo, and not one influenced by other shooters. For simplicity's sake in the argument (obvious multiple-game owners aside), the CoD and Battlefield population are not going to do anything to potential Halo players. The last two you mentioned are irrelevant.

Destiny is the only game that could "tilt" Halo's population, but it's still offering a completely different package compared to this one. Stuffing a Halo game with content isn't going to make it directly compete against a co-operative, loot-based RPG, and it's not intended to. Apples and Oranges.

This collection is widely popular even with knowledge of those games. If you're internally contemplating the value as opposed to the other games, that's all fine and well. But I'd say you're more likely completely missing the point.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
At E3 the Halo music came on, my heart started rushing.
Then the segment of the H2 trailer in HD came on, and pure shock took me, I couldn't even comprehend what was going on.
Then they started talking about master chief's past and I was in disbelief that the collection could be real.
Then they announced it an I was just overcome with joy.
Then they showed some of the menu, and I was almost hyperventilating, just waiting for them to mention multiplayer.
Then I saw the little multiplayer tab on the top of the menu and I got up, pointed at the screen and started yelling to my brother "oh my god, oh my god, multiplayer!!!!"
By the time they announced that the game included all the multiplayers and over 100 maps, I was literally out of my chair, rolling on the floor, laughing.
I had no idea how to deal with it so I called up one of my best friends that I met through Halo 2 eight years ago to talk about it with him.

This game is like a dream come true.. As dorky, and possibly a bit pathetic, as that all sounds.
WARNING: SENTIMENTAL POST

As I watched the E3 conference by my lonesome, I was literally gasping with excitement. Just the night before, a couple of friends and I were talking about the leaks and how they were too good to be true. We even joked about how 343i's big surprise would be "Halo: Spartan Assault 2" or "Halo Wars 2"... I ate those words at the reveal of Halo 2 Anniversary, chills ran down my spine upon the monk-chant, my heart sank upon hearing Keith David's voice, my jaw dropped in disbelief at the announcement of the Master Chief Collection... And I literally yelled "oh my god" to myself when they revealed the full multiplayer experience.

In all honesty, I was really afraid that this franchise was going to die. The community has been dying for the past couple of years... And it has been depressing. As nerdy, dramatic, and, in your words, pathetic as it may be, Halo has and is a major part of my life. Watching the community fall apart was painful, and I've felt like a dying breed; but this announcement has completely turned the tables around. It's given me hope that Halo has a future.
I watched this years E3 with my 10 year old son. I feel in love with Halo 1, 2 and to a less extent 3, my son also loves the first three (and plays a little bit of 4 as well as Reach/ODST). He has many MANY Halo figures and I think all of the Halo Mega Blox toys (think cheap Lego). We both jupmed off the sofa when the collection was announced. My son turned round to me and said, Dad, I know the baby will be here soon (my wife is expecting) but don't worry about it, I am gonna but that with my pocket money. IT made me so happy.... I'm getting a free copy of the MC Collection! A woohoo!

I don't see them ever including reach in this. It's the MCC not the Noble 6 collection. Not only that, but once this drops they will be putting their full weight into working on Halo 5.

I can tell you this, as an achievement hunter I am completely bipolar on this game. On the one hand, I want to take a few days off, pull a 48-hour marathon, and try to get the 4,000 gamerscore as fast as humanly possible.

On the other hand, I want to savor it in small bites, spread it out over weeks and weeks of enjoyment. So torn damnit!

I don't see that being a problem. I have a feeling the Halo 4 playlists will be dead, for sure. The only people there will be the people more new to the series that didn't cut their teeth on Halo 1/2. But even in the twilight hours of Halo 2's life, after OG XBL had been officially shut down, there were still dedicated people maintaining a 24/7 lobby just to keep it alive. By all indications Halo 2's playlist will be very well populated, which suits me just fine.

Also the fact that it releases after all the other games instead of before them is a good thing. Because then people will have played those games and won't be jumping ship from the H:MCC for the 'new hotness' as fast.

This should be a VERY interesting experiment on just how many of the Halo faithful are still around.

Still, I just think it's weird to leave out Reach and ODST. I understand they can't make it for release, but they should leave the infrastructure open to work on them post launch as paid DLC.

Reach really was a full mainland Halo as well. And it was the final swan song for Bungie on the franchise. It had it's multiplayer fans and maps and weapons just like the other games, and it's story is directly tied into the abrupt opening of H1. For newcomers, and for the fact that it would be nice not to have them release future collections like the master chif limited collector special directors cut edition featuring these other old high razzed games.

I'm not saying they should offer it for free, but offer it as paid DLC.

FyreWulff

Wasn't Avalanche more of a spiritual successor though?

No. It had a change late in development because testing showed everyone just went through the inner hallways and killed each other. So they deleted them.

Otherwise, it was based off the original geometry and is 95% there (including the original bridge from the Halo 1 version), they just changed some of the infantry flow in the middle.

Halo 2's Tombstone was scaled vertically to account for Halo 2's moonjumps for example, hence why CA chopped the end off the ramp and made it an airlift. And has extra back passages, and red/blue were switched around for 1-flag gametypes. It's still considered a remake.

For me, spiritual successors in Halo are maps like Guardian, which was based off the concept of Lockout. Valhalla is a spirtual successor to Blood Gulch. Or Countdown, which is the successor of Construct. Or Longshore, which actually started with Hang Em High's geometry, but was so modified at the end that it's basically a new map that just has some of the map's concepts. That map actually rides the line between successor and remake pretty closely.

monome

Also the fact that it releases after all the other games instead of before them is a good thing. Because then people will have played those games and won't be jumping ship from the H:MCC for the 'new hotness' as fast.

This should be a VERY interesting experiment on just how many of the Halo faithful are still around.

I understand your point. I'm not a seer. I just don't picture people abandonning their new AAA FPS just that soon.

It's not supposed to compete against Destiny, CoD, Battlefield, Sunset Overdrive or Assassin's Creed, it's a rerelease of a GREAT franchise with some GREAT new features.

What damage are they controlling? This is fanservice to get people hype for Halo 5 and MY GOD it's working VERY well with me.

Good for you.
It clearly competes for my gaming time. And I'm 100% confident I'll pay 60$ to play 1/5 of the package.

He's back to spout more crap about damage control!

How is all the Halo's with their original multiplayers not major online play incentives?? People love the original Halos and getting to play them again online is going to be amazing.

I know 2 people who are buying an X1 specifically for this game, and more than a few others who are considering it.

Sorry. but my opinion tho I share it with you is that this collection happens when bungie brings a new game that is very feature rich and has the clear purpose of becoming the new Halo. that MS does not wait idly for Destiny to snatch the sci-fi FPS crown is very understandable. I just think it's poorly done and a brand new Halo experience would have suited me best.

F2P Halo2 MP on every X1. that would have been a move I would cheer about.

Broooooooo do you know how busy the halo 2 & 3 playlists will be.

MAN if each one has it's own 1-50

that's pretty much another 6 years of my life gone.

I'm going to hang a reef at my girlfriends feet, as between this and destiny she'll be dead to me and we live together....

Yo. I wish some of your Halo enthusiasm was in my morning cereals. I just can't believe. Not with the meager Halo 5 teaser I was shown.
I'm not very big on remasters in general TBH.

We heard you the first time around. Pot-pourri, though? This whole post reeks of damage control vs your previous post's ample package.

True. I can't help but post pessimism about Halo. that's why I don't hang out in the Halo thread. sorry. party-pooper time over.

Good to see I'm not representative.

No. It had a change late in development because testing showed everyone just went through the inner hallways and killed each other. So they deleted them.

Otherwise, it was based off the original geometry and is 95% there (including the original bridge from the Halo 1 version), they just changed some of the infantry flow in the middle.

Halo 2's Tombstone was scaled vertically to account for Halo 2's moonjumps for example, hence why CA chopped the end off the ramp and made it an airlift. And has extra back passages, and red/blue were switched around for 1-flag gametypes. It's still considered a remake.

For me, spiritual successors in Halo are maps like Guardian, which was based off the concept of Lockout. Valhalla is a spirtual successor to Blood Gulch. Or Countdown, which is the successor of Construct. Or Longshore, which actually started with Hang Em High's geometry, but was so modified at the end that it's basically a new map that just has some of the map's concepts. That map actually rides the line between successor and remake pretty closely.

I'd agree with you here. Maybe successor isn't what it should be called, but I'd prefer to distinguish maps with even subtle differences compared to the originals from the ones that are more closely remade, such as Blackout, Heretic, and Reflection. Game mechanics aside (even though they're a key factor), many "remakes" don't play like they used to with the geometric changes.

FyreWulff

I'd agree with you here. Maybe successor isn't what it should be called, but I'd prefer to distinguish maps with even subtle differences compared to the originals from the ones that are more closely remade, such as Blackout, Heretic, and Reflection. Game mechanics aside (even though they're a key factor), many "remakes" don't play like they used to with the geometric changes.

And some people feel Blackout changed too much, due to changing the firing line along the bottom middle.

There's not many 1:1 remakes in Halo's lineage, though. Coagulation added basements to the bases. Reflection added more options to get up to the top level, and removed trees for people to hide in. The closest 1:1 we've gotten is Midship -> Heretic. And even then, the middle platform was frozen due to a physics bug with dead bodies and moving platforms in the Halo 3 engine.

And some people feel Blackout changed too much, due to changing the firing line along the bottom middle.

There's not many 1:1 remakes in Halo's lineage, though. Coagulation added basements to the bases. Reflection added more options to get up to the top level, and removed trees for people to hide in. The closest 1:1 we've gotten is Midship -> Heretic. And even then, the middle platform was frozen due to a physics bug with dead bodies and moving platforms in the Halo 3 engine.

The maps definitely changed for each game, so 1:1 wasn't what I was getting at. Some of the maps called "remakes" just don't feel as literal as the others, so the ambiguity bothers me a bit.

Maybe reimagined is the word I'll use for those ones.

Akai__

Two quick questions:

1. Do we know anything about the localization of the collection? I really don't want to end up playing the german version of any Halo again. Those are just horrible for me.

2. Did they specify, what the "modern take on Halo 2" will be like? Will it be a hybrid between Halo 2 and an other Halo game? Gameplay looked good to me, but need to see more to judge it.

Hope they will show us more. Soon™.

2. Did they specify, what the "modern take on Halo 2" will be like? Will it be a hybrid between Halo 2 and an other Halo game? Gameplay looked good to me, but need to see more to judge it.

im not sure what this means. Its the exact same halo 2 that shipped ten years ago.

1:1 remakes can't work when the developers tweak jump height and run speed. That's why I'm so excited to see them all return in their original engines!

im not sure what this means. Its the exact same halo 2 that shipped ten years ago.

The new engine for the remastered Halo maps is a "more modern take on Halo 2". That probably means it'll use newer assets and have slightly different features, like wraiths with passenger turrets again, which weren't seen in Halo 2 and aren't going to appear in the original multiplayer.

The Halo 4 assets in the stage demo were mostly placeholder, but I have a feeling we'll see some of its UI and even medals from the latter games bleed over.

Akai__

There are two Halo 2 MP modes in the game. One is the Halo 2 MP, we've got 10 years ago and the other one is the new mode, which has 6 remade maps, with the graphic overhaul. They said, the 2nd one, is "a modern take on Halo 2" and I'm curious, what this will be like.

Did I get something wrong?

Buwx

There are two Halo 2 MP modes in the game. One is the Halo 2 MP, we've got 10 years ago and the other one is the new mode, which has 6 remade maps, with the graphic overhaul. They said, the 2nd one, is "a modern take on Halo 2" and I'm curious, what this will be like.

Did I get something wrong?

No, you're right on track. The remastered maps will also have Forge and Theater.

The main problem with Blackout was the complicated bumps and whatnot they loved to add to H3's map geometry which greatly interfered with grenade throws, and needless rails. It also felt rather cramped to me, but I'm not sure if that has any factual basis. All in all, the map was completely ruined, at least compared to the original.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Heretic was essentially a 1:1 remake precisely because of how badly Blackout was handled. Last Resort was another screw-up as well. The outside looks nice and pretty, but the interior base is far too large and open.

Did a bunch of Bungie's talent leave after H2 or something? Seems the only way to explain the dramatic decline in map quality from H3 onwards...

TeRey09

Two quick questions:

1. Do we know anything about the localization of the collection? I really don't want to end up playing the german version of any Halo again. Those are just horrible for me.

Here's a Polygon Interview were they may answer your question.

mcrommert

Banned
The main problem with Blackout was the complicated bumps and whatnot they loved to add to H3's map geometry which greatly interfered with grenade throws, and needless rails. It also felt rather cramped to me, but I'm not sure if that has any factual basis. All in all, the map was completely ruined, at least compared to the original.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Heretic was essentially a 1:1 remake precisely because of how badly Blackout was handled. Last Resort was another screw-up as well. The outside looks nice and pretty, but the interior base is far too large and open.

Did a bunch of Bungie's talent leave after H2 or something? Seems the only way to explain the dramatic decline in map quality from H3 onwards...

Their multiplayer lead left for certain affinity...I think we can blame it all on that :)

Doffen

Ruffian?

so random. I'm assumign then that Ruffian will be making Crackdown in conjunction with Cloudgine.

I don't believe they are working on Crackdown (yet). They might be contracted at a later time in development like they have been with multiple Microsoft projects.

mcrommert

Banned
And after all that, Max still seems to spend a lot of his time handling outsourced Halo content.

Have CA actually done anything else?

Along with halo they have worked on multiple cod games

And they have made two live arcade games age of booty (which is awesome) and crimson alliance

Reave

Super happy with this announcement, but there's just one thing I wish would have been included in the game. I know Master Chief wasn't the protagonist in this game, but man... I would have loved to play ODST in HD. Still my favorite overall Halo game.

Booties

Banned

No.

And you're not the only one talking about the playlists. Not even close.

U2NUMB

Not to make anyone feel silly but was it maybe the "save and exit" way of Halo saving people weren't doing and like many other games, expecting saving to be automatic ?

or it was just a bug like you said.

All I can think of is both games I played through my first time with friends in co op online.. they both kept progress but I lost it in both cases.

I gave 343 a pass on Halo A but when it happened in 4 I was pretty upset. And from what I could tell it was a thing based on forum feeback I saw but very random. I may have just been crazy unlucky.

Either way.. did not want to make a big deal about it... just is something I think about with 343 games now.

Booties

Banned
I hope there aren't too many (if any at all) MP achievements. Because if they dont' stay populated, then they will be pretty tough to get.

True. I can't help but post pessimism about Halo. that's why I don't hang out in the Halo thread. sorry. party-pooper time over.

Good to see I'm not representative.
We're getting a lot of good stuff with this collection, and there is plenty time to get bitter about future Halo projects as the details are revealed and the beta is played (but hopefully not). Just enjoy the moment while it lasts.

I hope there aren't too many (if any at all) MP achievements. Because if they dont' stay populated, then they will be pretty tough to get.
I know they've said there are going to be a shitload of achievements, but is that including the originals from H3, CE:A, and even H2's PC version? There's a lot of multiplayer stuff in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom