• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flash

Banned
I just apologized to Lars for doing damage control by releasing a remastered fps xbox collection in November to counteract his September multiplatform RPG.

Please understand.

1780549-shakehead.gif

Typical Frankie. Stealing other studio's ideas. Shameful.
Is putting jk at the end of this even necessary?

Entire score has been rerecorded at Skywalker sound and so has a certain series of legendary metal guitar licks. Licensed stuff I forgot what the status was, will ask Paul when I get back next week.

Digital release is certainly possible. An anniversary music compendium might be interesting too.
The odyssey needs to be In its incredible

ferom

Neo Member
Has there been any clarification on what engine the H1 multiplayer is running at? I know it's the "original" but does that mean PC, Xbox or some sort of combination. PC version has significantly worse timing and shooting mechanics so I'm kinda worried.

Frank can you tell us more about the new engine? it a Base for halo 5? Is it based on the halo 4 engine? What changed have been made? Will we find more out?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has there been any clarification on what engine the H1 multiplayer is running at? I know it's the "original" but does that mean PC, Xbox or some sort of combination. PC version has significantly worse timing and shooting mechanics so I'm kinda worried.

PC version was already based on og Xbox - and everything is now running on Intel architecture anyway, but short answer is proprietary port of Xbox with other bits to make it all function. Assets always taken from highest fidelity original (PC for some) but the distinction isn't always binary.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Frank can you tell us more about the new engine? it a Base for halo 5? Is it based on the halo 4 engine? What changed have been made? Will we find more out?

Proprietary evolution of og engines, including aspects of h4 renderer. Not 5, which is obviously still being refined as the game gets closer. Would have been crazy to split. Beta will be your first experience of 5 engine.

^ I was gonna say, H2A has a very 'Halo 4 look' to it, so that makes sense.

PC version was already based on og Xbox - and everything is now running on Intel architecture anyway, but short answer is proprietary port of Xbox with other bits to make it all function. Assets always taken from highest fidelity original (PC for some) but the distinction isn't always binary.

For the Halo 2 MP maps, will any visual effects added to the PC port be present?

On that note, did the PC port even have anything better going for it visually? Maybe I just assumed that.

Homeboyd

Are updated maps (CEA Reach maps and H2A maps) completely rebuilt or can they be updated to some degree from their OG assets? I've heard both explanations.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
HD yet maintaining original engines: A step beyond standard expectation
Everything unlocked: Great wisdom exceeding the rest of the console scene
Mix n match playlist stuff: God-level

As someone who never owned an xbox (but played at friends), this is the sort of thing that really helps decide between consoles if/when I get one for this gen.

link1201

Entire score has been rerecorded at Skywalker sound and so has a certain series of legendary metal guitar licks. Licensed stuff I forgot what the status was, will ask Paul when I get back next week.

Digital release is certainly possible. An anniversary music compendium might be interesting too.

Great to hear. I will maintain my hope for at least the digital release.

Detective

Proprietary evolution of og engines, including aspects of h4 renderer. Not 5, which is obviously still being refined as the game gets closer. Would have been crazy to split. Beta will be your first experience of 5 engine.

Frank, So is H5 engine built from the ground up?

El_Chino

I'm pretty much the opposite.

MC Collection feels like a pot-pourri where only Halo2A campaign and its 6 reworked MP maps are worth considering.

Playing rezzed-up versions of either Halo campaigns or maps when Bungie's new game offers co-op, MP, campaign in one modern package is a no-no.

I'm seriously flabbergasted no-one speaks of how deserted the playlists will be...

It releases after COD, after Battlefield, after Destiny, after Sunset Overdrive, after Assassin's Creed, all big games, all with major online play incentives...

I'm still happy I'll play vanilla Halo2 with reworked textures, but this collection is as much damage control (vs Destiny especially and after the repeat failure of Halo MP being the King) as it is a clebration of the X1 being Halo's home.
Why is this still allowed?

ferom

Neo Member

I appreciate the answer, but can you clarify if the weapon spawn times are similar to H1 on set timers or random like on PC? I understand that the shooting mechanics have to be reworked for online play, but does it try to emulate bullet travel time like the original or move on to hitscan?

Reeeeeally would like to know if at all possible.

Hubble

Frank please bring a MLG mode to Halo 5 AT LAUNCH, many assumed it was coming for Halo 4 and it didn't. This disappointed many people of the Halo 2 and Halo 3 community. The equivalent on Halo 4 had way TOO FEW maps to be worth playing and died down quickly.

Also PLEASE bring back the Halo 3 ranking system of 1-50. Don't make no changes to add your flavor to it just because. It's perfect. The essence of Halo is its multiplayer. People who do not want to play serious or care for ranks play social slayer, which is really fun. Other than that friends compare what rank they are and enjoy matching up together to try to get as high as possible on the 1-50 scale even if it's Team Slayer.

rokkerkory

Oh man, H4 was simply amazing looking esp motion capture and character models.

I can't imagine how great it would look like on a machine that is many times more powerful. The lighting and textures will be crazy!

MC Collection feels like a pot-pourri where only Halo2A campaign and its 6 reworked MP maps are worth considering.

Playing rezzed-up versions of either Halo campaigns or maps when Bungie's new game offers co-op, MP, campaign in one modern package is a no-no.

I'm seriously flabbergasted no-one speaks of how deserted the playlists will be...

It releases after COD, after Battlefield, after Destiny, after Sunset Overdrive, after Assassin's Creed, all big games, all with major online play incentives...

I'm still happy I'll play vanilla Halo2 with reworked textures, but this collection is as much damage control (vs Destiny especially and after the repeat failure of Halo MP being the King) as it is a clebration of the X1 being Halo's home.

BdXgr.gif

Frank any chance of DLC for this new MP engine? I know Halo 5 will likely take focus after MCCollection shops but it would be great to get some more maps for it like guardian or high ground.

Oh man, H4 was simply amazing looking esp motion capture and character models.

I can't imagine how great it would look like on a machine that is many times more powerful. The lighting and textures will be crazy!

When I was playing on my old TV, Halo 4's contrast was way off and often blinding at times. I felt that Reach looked more "there", whereas Halo 4 felt alienated from the screen, so to speak.

I switched to a newer TV and it was a night and day difference. The colors started to pop and autobalance and it made the game look completely different. The lighting in Halo 4 is really something special. After that, Reach looked really flat by comparison.

It's amazing how such a small change can completely alter the feeling of the game.

*SQUEAL* Can. Not. Wait.

Any chance of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 being included and/or put in sequential order? The albums are so different I could see it being hard, but if planned from the beginning..

rokkerkory

You seem really emotional about this. Relax man.

Storm360

This is a question for Frankie or anyone else who can answer it.

What's being done about Halo CE's animations? They run at 30, and as seen with the PC version, the 30fps animations are very disorientating when the game is running at a higher framerate

rokkerkory

giphy.gif

RetroStu

Banned
Wait Monome wasn't banned after his trolling yesterday?, damn mods.

A lot of people are seemingly becoming a little scared of this package it seems, a lot of salty posts coming as the days go by.

Also PLEASE bring back the Halo 3 ranking system of 1-50. Don't make no changes to add your flavor to it just because. It's perfect. The essence of Halo is its multiplayer. People who do not want to play serious or care for ranks play social slayer, which is really fun. Other than that friends compare what rank they are and enjoy matching up together to try to get as high as possible on the 1-50 scale even if it's Team Slayer.

I definitely want a ranking system, but Trueskill in H3 was bullshit. The idea that someone can get to a higher rank with a fraction of the games played at a particular level is silly.

If you've been playing ranked with some friends (more competitive matches) but they're not amazingly good, then it's like a millstone around your neck. At least with Halo 2's ELO system it was consistent. Further, H2's method of treating low-level players in a party as much higher (e.g. a rank 3 in a party of 25s being treated as a 20) made for far quicker search times, and allowed you to play with friends in ranked more readily than in H3, where it needed to do that matched party shit.

Trueskill adding a measure of uncertainty into the equation always did seem like a solution in search of a problem to me. If you were very skilled in H2 and started off with a new account or something, it did not take long to get up to the rank you deserved. Meanwhile, the problems it caused lead to players either deliberately losing at rank 1 to increase the uncertainty to ridiculous levels, or make new accounts.

Toa TAK

Banned
Wait Monome wasn't banned after his trolling yesterday?, damn mods.

A lot of people are seemingly becoming a little scared of this package it seems, a lot of salty posts coming as the days go by.

They're just jealous their nerdy dreams haven't been realized.

Defect

Please keep the ranking systems for each game in the individual playlists and then keep your overall ranking system for the mixed playlists.

I don't want to face people who only got a 50 in Halo 4.

Kibbles

I'm kinda surprised they can fit all that on one blu-ray. Halo CEA, 3 and 4 are all dual-layer DVDs, then Halo 2 + Anniversary Graphics has to be quite a bit, then the new MP engine with 6 maps, plus blu-ray quality CG cutscenes in H2A.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I'm kinda surprised they can fit all that on one blu-ray. Halo CEA, 3 and 4 are all dual-layer DVDs, then Halo 2 + Anniversary Graphics has to be quite a bit, then the new MP engine with 6 maps, plus blu-ray quality CG cutscenes in H2A.

I want to know the final size after full installation. I am guessing above 50GB? it its fully compressed in a bluray disk, its might be more than 50GB or close to.

Magni

I've put over 100 hours into titanfall, its worth it. The Kinect alone will cost 99-150$ probably so if you ever plan to buy the Kinect later it may be better now with a free game.

Just spluged, getting the console Sunday and the TV Tuesday, can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom